Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
My 45-70 CVA Scout
Copyright 2023 – Stephen Redgwell

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
CVA Scout – 45-70 with a Burris 2-7 scope

Sometimes, you just have to buy a rifle “because”. The CVA Scout is one of those purchases. This one is a single shot that’s chambered for a rimmed cartridge, the 45-70. Of my single shots, this trigger out of the box is far and away the best I have ever used. That includes several Ruger No. 1s and my Thompson Center Contender/Encore rifles as well. The mechanism was well executed. It breaks at 3 lb with little creep. If it’s like that new, I can see it improving with use.

I have three H&R single shots that had the worst factory triggers of the bunch. All needed attention. My 22 K-Hornet was touched up by polishing the metal surfaces. That made it better, but it still lags behind the rest.

Handi Rifle – 22 K-Hornet with a Leupold 4×33mm scope

Granted, the H&R/NEF Handi rifles were budget guns, so you couldn’t expect a nice, light trigger. But they worked. If you were hunting or shooting when they were still being made, you might remember that in addition to their low price, they were a dependable, no frills performer.

Unfortunately, they ceased production in 2015 and since then, prices for used Handis are through the roof! With the exception of collectibles, these pre-owned single shots seem to be overpriced. I see a few on gun shop racks, but they sit until either the store lowers the asking price, or a potential buyer haggles to bring the cost down.

Single shots are definitely a niche market. It’s no surprise, given that almost everyone wants an autoloader these days. It’s the influence of television and for some, having served in the military. As a retired armourer, I spent a lot of time with autoloaders. We cannot use them for hunting right now, but I am confident that will change.

That wordy preamble over, let’s talk about the CVA (Connecticut Valley Arms) Scout rifle. You can read about its history and what it manufactures here. CVA Rifles The web also has reviews on them.

I am by no means an expert of their products, but I like the Scout.

7.5 pounds without a scope

It has a fluted, stainless steel barrel. This isn’t the norm for single shots and is a nice touch.

It comes with a scope rail. If you get one, remember to take it off, clean up the screw threads and reinstall them with some Loctite. I bought a pair of Burris 1 inch, medium height Zee rings because I had difficulties accessing the hammer using the lows.

Four screws keep the rail secure

The forend is made for quick take down. A short pull on the lever and off it comes.

Fluted barrel with muzzle brake

Now something that might make you go hmmm.

It weighs 7.5 lb. With the scope, 8.5 lb. Shooting a 45-70, some loads might make you wince. I suppose that goes for any rifle though if it’s loaded hot.

It has a muzzle brake. These days, they are “cool”. A lot of younger shooters want them, regardless of calibre, because of their looks. As most of us know however, there are trade offs. The biggest is that they are louder. Use them at the range with a big bore cartridge and you will wake up the neighbours. I don’t know how effective this particular brake is, but I’m assuming a 25 to 30% recoil reduction.

That’s a big breech!

I loaded up some 400 grain lead bullets with AA 5744. The computer prediction with the 24 inch barrel is 1500 fps. That means, without the brake, it will generate about 20 ft/lb of felt recoil. With the brake, take 25% off,. That means about 15 ft/lb on my shoulder. If the rifle groups two inches or better at 100 yards, it’s good to go.

More on how it performed when I get back from the range.

https://303british.com/my-cva-scout-in-45-70/

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I sighted in a new blued non-takedown model for a friend last week. Trigger was great, being about 3lbs. Gentle and accurate with Hornady 250gr Monoflex loads. Going 2.5” high at 100yds was dead on at 150 and 5-6” low on the 200yd steel boar gong.

Now with even more aplomb
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by JPro
I sighted in a new blued non-takedown model for a friend last week. Trigger was great, being about 3lbs. Gentle and accurate with Hornady 250gr Monoflex loads. Going 2.5” high at 100yds was dead on at 150 and 5-6” low on the 200yd steel boar gong.

I really hope that CVA chambers these in more cartridges. I like the price - either blued or stainless, and you cannot beat their triggers!

I think a 308 and maybe even a 30-30. It would also be interesting to hear about barrel swapping.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I’ve got a .350 legend T/D version and I love it. Wish it were a pound lighter but can’t complain for the price!

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
I’ve got a .350 legend T/D version and I love it. Wish it were a pound lighter but can’t complain for the price!

I’ve been trying to decide whether I want a 350 Legend or a 357 Maximum. I’m leaning toward the Max because it headspaces off the rim, not the case mouth.

I guess either would work, but I don’t need both. Or maybe I do. 🙂

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Got mine yesterday in 45/70, scoped it and went out to roughly sight it in but mainly to see which of the three factory loads it liked best.
I was shooting at 50 yds and with Barnes Vor-TX, 300gr bullets, got a nice clover leaf that measures 5/8 of an inch.
I am currently reloading 405 gr cast with IMR 4198.
Might be able to head out again today to try these out. Sweet gun.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Bloodied mine this past weekend. Super mild-shooting little rifle. I think the trigger on this particular one is actually below 3lbs. Just shooting the 165FTX factory loads for now.

They make this little rifle in a .243 version, which I wouldn't mind having for a "knockaround" truck rifle. I really wish they'd do a 1-7" or 1-8" .223 version.

Now with even more aplomb
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by marzoom
Got mine yesterday in 45/70, scoped it and went out to roughly sight it in but mainly to see which of the three factory loads it liked best.
I was shooting at 50 yds and with Barnes Vor-TX, 300gr bullets, got a nice clover leaf that measures 5/8 of an inch.
I am currently reloading 405 gr cast with IMR 4198.
Might be able to head out again today to try these out. Sweet gun.

Congratulations. If you get out, please post your results. The weather where I am isn't letting me get to the range

Originally Posted by JPro

Bloodied mine this past weekend. Super mild-shooting little rifle. I think the trigger on this particular one is actually below 3lbs. Just shooting the 165FTX factory loads for now.

They make this little rifle in a .243 version, which I wouldn't mind having for a "knockaround" truck rifle. I really wish they'd do a 1-7" or 1-8" .223 version.

I am waiting to hear back from CVA about any future new chamberings.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Steve,

I wanted a Scout in 360 Buckhammer because I wanted a rimmed .358 caliber SS rifle. When I contacted CVA last spring, I was told there wasn't any plan to chamber the 360 at that time.

I bought a blued 20 in. 350 Legend and sent it to Mike Bellm. He re-cut the chamber for 360BH. Extremely happy with the results. So far, I've only shot factory Remington 180/200gr. ammo. I've put a couple of boxes through it to this point. I was able to hunt with it a couple of times, but no luck.

A 4x Nikon Monarch was mounted on it on it. I may change it later, but it's a bright and rugged scope that matches up well with the rifle. It's sighted in right now for the 200gr. load. Pictures of a group with both weights posted below.

.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
That was a great idea to have the barrel rechambered to the 360 Buckhammer. I remember a close friend telling me many years ago that rimmed cartridges would soon be gone. He told me to buy up as many 30-30 and 303 cases as I could That was in 1980. His predictions were somewhat premature. smile Several new rimmed cartridges came out about that time and a few old timers like the 45-70 were making a comeback. I can see the Buckhammer as a viable cartridge. Not on the plains, but in those places where rimmed cartridges have traditionally done well. The US NE and down the east coast. Up here, some of the old time cartridges are selling well in central and eastern Canada.

I think that cartridge would do well with cast bullets too. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Steve,

I wanted a 360BH cartridge in the Scout rifle for multiple reasons;

1. It would be easier to load for than the 350L, I could use the pile of .358 bullets I have on hand and it meets or slightly exceeds the 35 Remington.

2. It would be legal in the areas requiring a 1.8 inch straight wall cartridge.

3. There are four factory loads for it and it can be easily made from 30-30 brass.

4. And most important for me, it's legal for primitive season in Mississippi. For that purpose, a rifle has to be single shot, breech loading, exposed hammer and in .35 caliber or larger. While I have other rifles that fit that criteria, they are chambered for heavy recoiling calibers. I wanted a light rifle in a cartridge with much less recoil.

I believe my choice completely filled these requirements.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
It appears you thought things through. There were a few things about the Legend that made me step back. These are concerns that are unique to my situation.

The first was the bore diameter of the Legend. Looking at the SAAMI diagrams, it occurred to me that I would have to get a draw die to reduce the bullet diameter to fit through what is essentially a 9mm barrel. The other concern was that the Legend headspaces off the case mouth. For a single shot, I'd prefer a rimmed case. That's just me however.

Like you, I have a bunch of .358 bullets and a lot of cast too. It would be easier with the slightly bigger bore.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
So far just trying to find the ammo it likes at 50 yds. Next is trying out some reloads and hopefully final sighting in. Very impress so far with this rifle.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]20240123_151400 by .com/photos/154466150N05/]Mario Comtois, on [bleep]
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]20240123_142956 by .com/photos/154466150N05/]Mario Comtois, on [bleep]

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not an expert with the .45-70, but have one I like. I've only shot cast bullets of 530 grains powered with Lord Black. Have a scope but have found no need for it. The tang sight does just fine.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

D
dpd Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Not an expert with the .45-70, but have one I like. I've only shot cast bullets of 530 grains powered with Lord Black. Have a scope but have found no need for it. The tang sight does just fine.

That’s mighty fine shootin D.D. Sure wish I could do that open sights @ 100 yds.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I would love a Scout in 30-30. I have one in 350 but rimmed cartridges are what single shots work best with.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by JakeM78
I would love a Scout in 30-30. I have one in 350 but rimmed cartridges are what single shots work best with.

With SHOT going on, we might hear if CVA announces any new chamberings. As I said earlier, I asked them about it, but they have not responded.

Originally Posted by dpd
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

That’s mighty fine shootin D.D. Sure wish I could do that open sights @ 100 yds.

It's been a long time since I had a BP rifle. Nice shooting!

Originally Posted by marzoom
So far just trying to find the ammo it likes at 50 yds. Next is trying out some reloads and hopefully final sighting in. Very impress so far with this rifle.

Mario Comtois

I agree, Mario. I hope they start producing rifles like H&R used to before Remington bought them out and closed down the operation.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I got the answer back from my first inquiry. CVA is expanding their line, but did not provide details. They have almost new BP rifles, including this one that doesn't look like a BP rifle. SHOT is done for this year, so perhaps they are waiting to get back to the office.

[Linked Image from cvariflesusa.com]

CVA Paramount 45 cal. inline BP rifle

This ain't your daddy's smoke pole!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought one of the Optima 2 MLs last Fall, mostly because I had a huge supply of bullets, sabots, and five pounds of BH 209. Amazing gun for $300. Earlier I’d seen a .444 Scout in my LGS and was impressed, except by the brake. A .360 would be more practical for me, I think, and more pleasant to shoot. That .50 is pretty lively with 100gr!

While I own and like a couple Henrys, the Scout stock is much better for scope use.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I know what you mean about the Henrys. I had two issues. First was scope mounting. I got the impression they would take some work to be used with a scope. The other was the trigger. It isn't very good.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257 mag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 48 invisible), 2,653 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,781
Posts18,477,152
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.