Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I like the DNA thingy going around. Most of my dogs are DNA tested for breeding purposes but here is the deal as far as my dogs or other wild animals go. They cannot do a DNA test on a certain animal and come up with any hard facts other than say yep its a dog or yep its a coyote. Reason being is they have a very limited data base which means they need something to compare it to. if they don't have it then they cant say what else is in a animal for DNA testing. They need to have a large library of DNR from many, many animals and hey they just don't have it. At moment only thing they have a strong data base (samples) for is for cattle and horses and maybe some of the wolf stock in upper midwest. So DNA all you want it won't prove anything. Since my dogs have been DNA tested they had samples of my dogs and when I had a accidental breeding the DNA tests prove which male dog of mine bred the female and I could register the puppies under there names. With out any samples they don't know who is who other than yep they both dogs. LOL Lady down south breeds coydogs think you can buy pups from her, dogs with the body or looks of a coyote with long hair different colors, you can tell the diff. with them. animal in the picture is a wolf, all wolf.

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by RIO7
84# Coyote is a little hard for me to believe, I kill Coyotes almost every day this time of year 35-38# Coyote is big here in S. Texas, I think Wolf or someones dog maybe?? Rio7

South Texas. This is a whole other thing. They get a lot bigger than the little puppies you guys have down there.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
white tip coyotes? its all genetic, some areas have them some don't. Same for a red fox, some have white tip and some don't, nothing special about either one. small traces of dog likeness in a coyote yep, most likely a one time cross, the bitch was desperate to have pups. Had pocket of coyotes in given area, had the face markings of a elkhound, alot of black and on some the black would go down the front of the front legs. still mostly coyote. The size never changed just the color. Usually with genetics the dog with stronger DNA genetics will overrule or show up more in a cross between two dogs and a litter can go both ways, some look like father and some take on the mothers' traits. Also take in consideration of a coyotes age older some get along with good food source bigger they can get can also get a fluke in a litter with one coyote being big and all the others avr. or some smaller, males tend to be little, bigger as well but depends on genetics. A pup that hogs the teat and pushes others away has a chance of getting bigger as he has a early start. My area its known from research the majority of the coyotes don't live past there third year so yeah they don't have a chance to get little, bigger. When coyotes first moved into my area back around 1985 no one new much about them or how to hunt them as they were pretty smart i guess I could say or hunters just uneducated. My coyotes avr. in weight from 32 to 38 pound avr. with a few older coyotes tipping scall at 43 and once in great while come across a 45 pounder but very rare, they just don't live long. When coyotes moved in back in 1985 they lived for roughly five years then started to get killed off. I killed two of them and a friend killed another, both of mine was the biggest as they were both males my buddy got the female. I still hold the record in my area for biggest coyotes to date. I love the big fish stories. LOL

Last edited by TA 17 Rem; 01/22/24.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Osky;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the weekend behaved and you're all warm, well and dry tonight.

As a Canuck, I'm not exactly sure what would happen if someone shot a cross up here and it was out of the wolf season, which we do have, but is actually 15 days shorter than the coyote season I see...

We can shoot 3 wolves a year and NBL on coyotes, season for them is Sept 01st to June 30th and wolves stop on June 15th for whatever reason.

Is it likely if it's a hybrid he'll be charged?

If the state DNR say they don't exist and a hunter takes one as an honest mistake, am I correct in guessing it'll be up to the individual CO and then prosecutor to decide?

There was a bit of a dance up here in Manitoba years back when a US hunter shot the first recorded Grizzly and Polar bear cross, but as far as I know neither he nor the Inuit guide got any grief over it.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you care to share. Just curious is all.

All the best.

Dwayne

Good evening Dwayne.
In northern MN the past 60 years I never had an issue distinguishing between wolves and coyotes. The hunting of wolves ended when I was a young boy as I recall. It opened again for a couple years maybe 12 years ago, limited harvest, draw for licenses only. Two guys staying with me brought wolves in. One was an 87lb female, I helped skin it and it sure looked like the one pictured here.

I cannot honestly answer your question of an accidentally shot wolf as I do not recall reading about such a case nor actually knew of anyone involved in that. Maybe others can correct me here?

I have been along on coyote kills when in Saskatchewan tho not allowed to gun them as a nonresident. I’ve shot many from Montana on down to the Rio grande and the states in between. Never kept track on the number, wish I had. In Montana I took the ranchers boy along one morning and he shot one that scaled at 48lbs. Far and away the biggest I’ve ever actually seen. Beat any of the many I’ve shot by 12-15 lbs?
There sure may be bigger out there but I still feel that one was a true freak of nature.

You take care Wayne.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Most places with coyotes have or will have Coydogs. The throw out dogs pack up, if they can, and a female in season is not so particular. We had two solid blacks show up, then only one, but in the past 6 months have not seen the black again. I missed getting a shot on it, just once, as it was moving fast through the big trees. You rarely see them here, in any clearing at all.

About 35#s is fairly average weight in these parts as they are usually pretty thin.

I had a Red Wolf show up in my back 40 one morning while I was drinking my 1st cup of coffee, about day break. A gift from the retarded Dept of the Inferior, 30 years ago. They released Red Wolves into the SE without telling anyone. You can look it up on the net, released Red Wolves across the North Florida border. The dumb butts thought Wolves would stay where they put them. Only the Government dunder heads would be that stupid. Have not seen that wolf since, but saw three dead on 393 hit by cars, over 10 years.

Last edited by Rapier; 01/23/24.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've killed more coyotes than mange, and I've never seen a song dog top 35 or 40 pounds.

Man just think, if a coyote was an 80 pound animal with their numbers, you could kiss big game hunting goodbye.

I'd call em with a bigger gun than a 243 win lol.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
84 lb's? Coydog or Coywolf.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our yotes run big. Over the last 20 years, me and buddies have killed 3 legit 50+ pounders. Biggest was 53 pounds. AVERAGE adult winter coyote is 34 -42 pounds. 84 doesn't even seem like a remote possibility.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've read where coyotes and wolves are cross breeding and that many coyotes will have a good percentage wolf DNA.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TA 17 Rem
white tip coyotes? its all genetic, some areas have them some don't. Same for a red fox, some have white tip and some don't, nothing special about either one. small traces of dog likeness in a coyote yep, most likely a one time cross, the bitch was desperate to have pups. Had pocket of coyotes in given area, had the face markings of a elkhound, alot of black and on some the black would go down the front of the front legs. still mostly coyote. The size never changed just the color. Usually with genetics the dog with stronger DNA genetics will overrule or show up more in a cross between two dogs and a litter can go both ways, some look like father and some take on the mothers' traits. Also take in consideration of a coyotes age older some get along with good food source bigger they can get can also get a fluke in a litter with one coyote being big and all the others avr. or some smaller, males tend to be little, bigger as well but depends on genetics. A pup that hogs the teat and pushes others away has a chance of getting bigger as he has a early start. My area its known from research the majority of the coyotes don't live past there third year so yeah they don't have a chance to get little, bigger. When coyotes first moved into my area back around 1985 no one new much about them or how to hunt them as they were pretty smart i guess I could say or hunters just uneducated. My coyotes avr. in weight from 32 to 38 pound avr. with a few older coyotes tipping scall at 43 and once in great while come across a 45 pounder but very rare, they just don't live long. When coyotes moved in back in 1985 they lived for roughly five years then started to get killed off. I killed two of them and a friend killed another, both of mine was the biggest as they were both males my buddy got the female. I still hold the record in my area for biggest coyotes to date. I love the big fish stories. LOL

Yep, white tip. Only one out of lots of yotes, It was a bigger male and one that did not get weighed also. Just figgered it an old and gray hair thing....

Old friend of the family who trapped, shot, killed coyotes in heavy droves even after the bounty ended on them had told me about the white tip..... just took me many years and many yotes.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m in east central Texas. Most coyotes here, that I’ve collected, weighed 25 or 30 pounds. But some years ago I shot a big one, and he did reverse ground shrinkage. Closer I got, the bigger he looked. He was an even 50 pounds. So, 84# sounds like more than a plain old coyote.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

They all look so different, but Never seen one over 50.
The triple was a group of three that came in all together.

Last edited by Roddy1993; 01/23/24.

Thank The Lord for imr4064!
-I don't always run a hoe; but when I do I hit the pipe
Bergara sidekick .223 wylde
Bergara B14 ridge 6.5 creedmoor
Ruger 57
Dead air Sandman L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If DF&G says there're no wolves, and someone shoots one... how is anyone liable? The 'experts' said they don't exist...

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Jericho
I caught a 120 pound beaver once. Me and a couple of my friends were in a bar and I......wait a minute......never mind

that`s nothing a good friend caught a smelly 250 lb`er greasy haired beaver at a old bar in northern Canada ..... whoops wrong kind ... but he sure had a nasty hangover too next day..... its a true funny story even today but not to him ......

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Quote; If DF&G says there're no wolves, and someone shoots one... how is anyone liable? Unquote: Real simple state laws says no season or are protected. Only reason DNR says they don't exist is to keep the dumb asses away from bothering them. Take Yellowstone Park for example. Couple of farmers not far from me cornered a cougar in driveway pipe, they placed some stuff at one end to keep cat in pipe while other guy ran home and got his gun, lights and what have you. They shot the cat then took it to the bar to show it off and a few other places in town. Went home for the night with cat in back of the pickup truck. That mourning DNR shows up at the farm to check it out. First off cougars are protected, and there is no season period. Tickets issued for not reporting the kill, ticket issued for illegal kill of protected animal. Ticket issued for harassing a protected animal, ticket issued for shooting animal in a den, ticket issued for illegal use of lights. All equipment taken by DNR including the new pickup truck. All equipment including truck kept by the state plus heavy fines for both. Loss of hunting privileges for 3 years plus animal was taken on Stateline which means double the fines. Ask yourself is it worth it?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by Lonny
If it's a true coyote----No.

I think it’s pretty well settled that the northeastern “coyotes” aren’t really “true coyotes.”

Prior to the days of widely accessible dna research resources there was all kinds of speculation and absolute nonsense circulating around about them, at least where I am from in northern New York (Canadian border northern.)
I think today it’s prettier well accepted that there is generally (individuals will vary) dna showing coyote, large proportion of grey wolf, and traces of domestic dog. ( My wife’s cousin recently sent a trail cam video from out back of his place showing a blue healer running with what appears like a female coyote in heat.)

For years I was involved in trapping coyotes up there and ran them with hounds as our primary winter recreation. I’ve seen all colors and sizes, from the classic silver and brindles to fox red and coal black. The biggest I’ve ever seen anyone actually weigh on a scale was 72 pounds. One year I trapped a couple, a few days apart, that I believed were every bit as much work to lift up on the back of the quad as an 80 pound bag of horse feed.

The words “always” and “never” are two words I don’t use discussing wild animals.

I have shot close to a dozen coyotes in the Adirondack mountains. I never weighed them, but I had a few of them that would definitely in the 60 to 70 pound range. I’ve had dogs my whole life 30 pounds to 85 pounds. North eastern coyotes have Timberwolf in their DNA, have read that and also a conservation officer told me the same. I never should’ve sold that piece of property up there, coyote, rich environment. They decimated the deer population. I personally seen them take deer down, you probably wouldn’t believe me amazing to see.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Jericho
I caught a 120 pound beaver once. Me and a couple of my friends were in a bar and I......wait a minute......never mind

i think your lying a little probably closer 200 lbs. with dark greasy hair and didn`t smell that good either ? my good friend had a snapper like that one nite up in Northern Canada and to this day he wishes that subject would never come up ,but it is still funny.

> the biggest Coyote we ever shot was 41 lbs was a big male in Northern Minnesota calling. > i just seen the picture that`s a gray wolf he might be in trouble ?

Last edited by pete53; 02/22/24.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The existence of an 84 pound coyote, belongs right in the same discussion as a bigfoot and black mountain lion........they don't exist, period.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Mmmmm, I would say maybe 140 at the most, definitely not 200

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, beefan, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,447 guests, and 783 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.