Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by JeffA
I wouldn't own one of the fkin' things..

I just enjoy making controversial, informative posts that aren't based on Ukraine or our elections.

Ain't nobuddy can say they haven't learned a thing or two from this thread.

This one was fun
New Tesla Pickup

👍🏻

I’m not against EV in any/every instance, I just think that they are not the 100% solution (and maybe not even a 25% solution) they are being billed as……

Much of the technology (and certainly, the infrastructure) hasn’t even reached “half-baked”, yet.

JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I would say that public transportation is a ideal application for EV's.

At the current stage of development.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
5-S44-53-E39-W3683-HHFMnd yet folks I know who build Makc trucks tell me about the NYC contract they got for Electric garbage trucks say they cant get the batteries to last a half of a shift

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
It's also kind of interesting that we have gone from sticking our tongue on a 9 volt battery to Tesla Ludicrous mode in less time than it took to go from a tiller to a steering wheel on automobiles.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Jim;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope all is well with you and your fine family.

As you've said, the rate of change is staggering and the road getting there is full of potholes.

Speaking of which, a young fellow from Vancouver made the news last week when he hit a chunk of angle iron laying on the Coquihalla aka "Highway to Hell" filming area, with his one or two year old Hyundai EV.

The angle iron took out the battery, he needed to be towed and when it was taken to get repaired, the cost was going to be $62,000 and change, which was a wee bit more than a new one was worth.

Of course the news station had a field day with that, which prompted Hyundai Canada to fall all over itself saying "somebody" made a mistake on calculating the cost of the battery replacement, etc.

It did bring about some spirited discussion which isn't a bad thing.

All the best to you all Jim, here's to good weather for calving.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
While there’s certainly room to question the longevity of current batteries, they’ve been using electric traction motors on trains for decades. If the batteries can hold up, the busses might run a lot longer than their hydro-carbon counterparts.

I’m not pro nor anti electric vehicles as choice. Can’t say I’m a big fan of any technology being foisted upon me from the Gov’t either direct mandate or through elimination of other options.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
“Fighting climate change”. What a joke. The earth is still trying to recover from the last ice age. Glaciers aren’t permanent, permafrost isn’t permanent.
The history of the planet is much warmer, hence all the vast resources of coal, oil and gas.
The periods of cold on the planet that led to various ice ages were due to natural disasters, mainly the asteroid strikes and volcanic eruptions.
Don't forget cosmic clouds coming between the Sun and the Earth.
Don't forget changes in Solar Activity

People are pretty good at schitting in their nest, and even poisoning their immediate environment. But as a whole, mankind is just a pimple on the Earth's butt. In a million years, whoever has become the dominant species on the planet will find no more sign that we were here than we find of Triceratops.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by reivertom
Let's see how it's going in 7 or 8 years.

Electric buses have been around now a lot longer than 7 or 8 years.

In 1940 Seattle had electric buses running 15 routes, with 174 buses operating on 68 miles of two-way parallel overhead lines.

[Linked Image from historylink.org]

Their electric buses claimed fame for being able to pull the hills in Seattle better than the diesel buses they also used.

The electric bus system there has had its ups and downs..

Ridership reached an all-time high 130 million riders in 1944.

After the war, ridership on the trolleybus system declined as many American families began purchasing automobiles.

Some of the early buses there were converted to operate on both diesel and electric (early hybrid), then back to 100% electric through the fuel shortages of the 1970s.

They've added new electric buses over the years..

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

But they still run a lot of their older electric buses that have been maintained and rebuilt over the years.

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]This one was 50 years old when this image was taken.

The bus in the video below was 77 years old when the video was filmed.

So, longevity?
It's already proven.

The big difference today is the introduction of onboard batteries in lieu of dependence of overhead power lines.

So all this resistance to the concept of these electric buses is actually resistance of batteries.

You guys are just afraid of batteries..
There's a huge difference between battery powered buses, and the buses shown in this post.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
It's also kind of interesting that we have gone from sticking our tongue on a 9 volt battery to Tesla Ludicrous mode in less time than it took to go from a tiller to a steering wheel on automobiles.

Hold on to your britches for with the advent of and general introduction of AI in to mobile phones we are about to have some serious upgrades. I have been noting the rapid jumps being made in computing recently and it is nothing short of astounding in the scope and refinement of the genre.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
EV's must sound like the movie from Jaws to you guys.

There coming!

Hahaha!
Jim, Do you use an EV to plow your fields, or to haul your stock to market?
Why not?

Do you think you will be doing either within ten years?

I have no problem with those who want to drive an EV. I just do not want the money coming from my pocket to subsidize their choice.

And yes, any dollar collected by the Fed Gov, becomes property of the Fed, thusly property of you and me, despite that the Fed would have us all believe otherwise.

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Hold on to your britches for with the advent of and general introduction of AI in to mobile phones we are about to have some serious upgrades. I have been noting the rapid jumps being made in computing recently and it is nothing short of astounding in the scope and refinement of the genre.

Whatever you say Mr. iPhone 2.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Whatever you say Mr. iPhone 2.

Android.

And that tech bleeds over in to industry.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Gotta live the good life.

AI is the good life.

Until it isn't.

I am MAGA.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by horse1
While there’s certainly room to question the longevity of current batteries, they’ve been using electric traction motors on trains for decades. If the batteries can hold up, the busses might run a lot longer than their hydro-carbon counterparts.

I’m not pro nor anti electric vehicles as choice. Can’t say I’m a big fan of any technology being foisted upon me from the Gov’t either direct mandate or through elimination of other options.
And those electric traction motors occasionally need replaced. At our factory, we had/still have two switch engines, with three traction motors between them, each powered by a 200 hp Cummins.

While I saw all three diesels replaced once in the forty years I worked there, about thirty years ago. We replaced an average of one traction motor per year. The traction motors were an in stock item in the storeroom at each factory. The diesels were not.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by horse1

And those electric traction motors occasionally need replaced. At our factory, we had/still have two switch engines, with three traction motors between them, each powered by a 200 hp Cummins.

While I saw all three diesels replaced once in the forty years I worked there, about thirty years ago. We replaced an average of one traction motor per year. The traction motors were an in stock item in the storeroom at each factory. The diesels were not.

Hahaha!

How convincing.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
You know them steam locomotives were really better than the diesel electric of today.

Sometimes they have to replace the climate control units.

Never did on a steam loco.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
EV's must sound like the movie from Jaws to you guys.

There coming!

Hahaha!
Jim, Do you use an EV to plow your fields, or to haul your stock to market?
Why not?

Do you think you will be doing either within ten years?

I have no problem with those who want to drive an EV. I just do not want the money coming from my pocket to subsidize their choice.

And yes, any dollar collected by the Fed Gov, becomes property of the Fed, thusly property of you and me, despite that the Fed would have us all believe otherwise.

Don't be silly.

Someone holds up a battery and you fall over and die because muh gasoline!

Why not go back to carburetors?

No ....forget I asked.

I am MAGA.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
When one of these are involved in a collision, the fire will be beyond belief!

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by keith
When one of these are involved in a collision, the fire will be beyond belief!

You decided that it was too expensive to run seatbelts in busses...now you care about fire?

I am MAGA.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I smell more gas lighting by the Swamp / NWO... Within two days, I see three separate articles on electric school busses, MT, AK, and KY. The KY article (Wolfe County) indicated 150 mile range in warm weather. 100 mile in cold weather. At 30 cents per mile savings fuel savings, it would take +800,000 miles to break even on the $250K upcharge for an electric bus versus a diesel($400K vs $150K). And as far as "no tax dollars used..." BULL CHIT! If the government has the money, regardless of source, it is OUR MONEY ! The "extra" money being spent on electric busses, could be applied to other ongoing expenses... Or, gasp... to reduce tax burden on the average tax payer. Follow the money. Someone in the Swamp is invested in, or has a stake in, the electric bus companies. As always:

1) It is ALWAYS about the money.
2) Per George Carlin "It's a big club. And we ain't in it..."

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,516
Posts18,490,910
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.