Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
So I’m guessing the smart thing to do, once he realized the bear was collared, would have been to let the bear lay where it was, hand off the rifle to a sympathetic friend or relative, and when the Bear Cops showed up, plead ignorance of the whole deal.

I’m sssuming innocent until proven guilty still holds true in Canada.

This day and age change out the barrel to a different caliber

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by JeffA
I've had Grizzly Bears in my backyard many, many times and they never skeered me or caused any real issues.

Maybe sum people should keep to the cities.

you must have nerves of steel....bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
So I’m guessing the smart thing to do, once he realized the bear was collared, would have been to let the bear lay where it was, hand off the rifle to a sympathetic friend or relative, and when the Bear Cops showed up, plead ignorance of the whole deal.

I’m assuming innocent until proven guilty still holds true in Canada.
I don't know about Canada, but I do know from a whole lot of experience that if you shoot an animal with no witnesses and the bullet exits and most importantly you do not approach the animal or talk about it you are home free. Doesn't matter if it's on your property. Just tell them "I don't want to talk about it". Next tell them if that is their bear or cougar or whatever to get it off your place.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Hastings
I don't know about Canada, but I do know from a whole lot of experience that if you shoot an animal with no witnesses and the bullet exits and most importantly you do not approach the animal or talk about it you are home free. Doesn't matter if it's on your property. Just tell them "I don't want to talk about it". Next tell them if that is their bear or cougar or whatever to get it off your place.

That would apply to a large number of crimes, but alas most people can’t.

Last edited by KRAKMT; 01/26/24.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
A couple of points here. If he didn't want bears around his place, he would have been wise to not bait them in. He is a poacher, plain and simple. If the bear had been trying to tear through the door, or menacing his livestock, he could probably have gotten away with shooting it. I know he could have here. Baiting the bear in and shooting it from the house is a little less defensible.
I have shot a cougar on my place, behind the corral. Fish and Wildlife came and looked at it. The CO looked at me and said, "We're not going to charge you". I said, "No [bleep]. I had the right to shoot it". No more was said.
If we have a bear around, black or grizzly, I warn the campers to take care, watch their dogs and kids, and that's about it. I should probably have shot the last black bear that was in the yard, but the timing was bad, and I didn't have time to cut him up (we were leaving on a trip).
I do think we should re-open the grizzly bear hunt, just to keep them honest. On the other hand, if one is a danger or aggressive, we can shoot it. I almost always carry a weapon of some sort when I'm out and about. I've been on a few walks where I have seen more grizzlies than I have elk.
Here, in British Columbia, we are actually allowed to bait deer, elk, and sheep, but we are not allowed to bait predators (I don't think coyotes count). I have even heard the opinion stated, if you know where there is a carcass, whether it is a bear kill, winter kill or whatever, you are not allowed to hunt over that carcass, as that would be considered baiting. I would dispute that. If you put out a pan of dog food and some corn and molasses, that's baiting. If you do it in your yard, still baiting. The old guy from Troy is a poacher. On top of that, he's a stupid poacher. He deserves what he gets.
Dwayne,
I'm quite familiar with the area. I ride my motorcycle down through Libby, through Troy, then up the Yaak River, through Yaak, and over to Rexford and home. I've fished up the Yaak river, from Yaak, and down the Yahk River from Gillnockie. Good fishing on both sides. I've seen both species of bear often and am prepared for them. GD

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I can't quit pin down the age, but, at some point my mind goes from:

"Well, that guy needs to learn a lesson about poaching/right and wrong"

to:

"At least the guy is still out there gettin' after it."

I suppose some of that also depends upon if poaching has been an ongoing life-long endeavor for that person.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by horse1
I can't quit pin down the age, but, at some point my mind goes from:

"Well, that guy needs to learn a lesson about poaching/right and wrong"

to:

"At least the guy is still out there gettin' after it."

I suppose some of that also depends upon if poaching has been an ongoing life-long endeavor for that person.
Still out there gettin after it????

From a shooting room on the side of his house? Over bait piles?

OK, yep

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Osky
Couldn’t have made many more boneheaded moves could he?

Osky
He was born around 1943 and probably lived in Montana all his life. You can bet that he wasn't raised to look kindly upon bears rummaging around the place. I know times have changed but it is not like he shot somebody.

You can bet they aren't putting an 80 year old man in jail. I am not sure what I would do if even a black bear became a regular visitor to my back yard. Any time I moved a nuisance animal he became a nuisance in the place I moved him to or he returned to where I picked him up.

Montana is changing. Last year there was a hue and cry to lock up that poor girl Amber Rose that shot a Husky dog thinking it was a wolf. It was like 9 miles off the highway out in the boondocks and huskies do look somewhat like wolves.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Osky
He was born around 1943 and probably lived in Montana all his life. You can bet that he wasn't raised to look kindly upon bears rummaging around the place. I know times have changed but it is not like he shot somebody.

You can bet they aren't putting an 80 year old man in jail. I am not sure what I would do if even a black bear became a regular visitor to my back yard. Any time I moved a nuisance animal he became a nuisance in the place I moved him to or he returned to where I picked him up.

Montana is changing. Last year there was a hue and cry to lock up that poor girl Amber Rose that shot a Husky dog thinking it was a wolf. It was like 9 miles off the highway out in the boondocks and huskies do look somewhat like wolves.

Is a grizz that comes off nearby National Forest a "nuisance animal" when it comes to check out a bait pile placed there to attract animals?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
VarmintGuy is a baiting sonovabitch based on him showing his ass in this thread.
No doubt his 80 yr old ass hauling out grain and treats.

Plain and simple

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Is a grizz that comes off nearby National Forest a "nuisance animal" when it comes to check out a bait pile placed there to attract animals?

I keep trying to come up with a good reason to have grizzly bears in proximity to human interests....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by slumlord
Awee…..an old fart BAITER too. POS baiter.

Bragged to neighbor. What a dumbass.

And old farts don’t understand GPS telemetry. Sucks to be old and stupid.

His piss ant yard backs up to Natl Forest land. He assumed it was his God given right to do as he pleased beyond the boundaries of his cat food shack.

Oh and getting a plea deal, how special.

I say good job! Maybe we should send a couple down to your place to hang out, Slum.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Osky

I put out feed for deer, birds, and squirrels like a lot of country people do. We have an outside cat that patrols for mice on the carport and protects the feed bags. Real often we have to dispatch a raccoon which we donate to a colored neighbor. The problem with bears and hogs is they will eat anything available and if left unmolested they can get very brave. Alligators are also an issue down here.

Last edited by Hastings; 01/27/24. Reason: added 2 words

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
greydog;
Good morning sir, I hope the last Saturday of the month finds you all well.

Thanks for your take on the subject at hand, I was very much hoping you'd do that.

As well, I was more than "fairly sure" you were very familiar with that area.

We've got more and more grizzly sightings on the mountain behind the house and just like the wolves, are adjusting our behavior accordingly.

Like you, I just don't head up the hill for any reason without packing something that makes noise anymore.

I should note too that nobody seems to even raise an eyebrow over that part, perhaps because we can nearly always be hunting for something as the seasons overlap nicely.

Two springs back we were headed up for a load of firewood and had stopped our pickups to talk to a chap we'd met earlier that year when he was doing some long range target shooting. As we chatted a young RCMP Constable roared up in one of the Ford SUV type cruisers and asked if we'd seen some particular vehicle, which we had and told him when and where.

He thanked us, said something about the folks with the vehicle in question being nogoodniks and we should be careful. Buddy, bless his BC redneck heart, says to the young Constable something like, "Oh we're hunting too so it's all good" and the Constable just chuckled, gave us a thumbs up, thanked us again and left.

Oh, this isn't uncommon anymore for us lower down on the logging roads out here as there are crackhead squatters on pretty much all of them in the south valley.

Makes for some very interesting encounters some days, but so far nobody has been shot over it, though a couple squatters did have a run in with a grader operator either 2 or 3 years back.

Thanks again for your take, I do appreciate it.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I keep reading this bear was Federally protected, but there were no Feds protecting it.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Osky

Probably the dumbest fugging post ever on the fire. Fact.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by callnum

Osky

No you are

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Talkin about Black Bears—I read somewhere once long ago that bears don’t starve in the den—they wake up and wander and generally starve in the Spring. That’s when they need their fat reserves cause they don’t burn much just sleeping. I used to run a bait line for Spring and fall hunts and had a few baits going all year on my trap line. 3 different times I tracked bears in mid-winter and all 3 times was after a berry crop failure —which happens here with some regularity.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Originally Posted by callnum

Osky

No you are
. Bingo.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by jaguartx
With a properly selected jury he could be found innocent due to a 270 not being capable of killing a grizzly.

Dang. You beat me to it.

The .270 controversy is the only reason I posted the story.
With a properly selected jury he could be found innocent due to a 270 not being capable of killing a grizzly.

Dang. You beat me to it.

The .270 controversy is the only reason I posted the story.
It's gotta be BS. Ever body knos ya kaint kill a bar with a 270.
Bawahahahaha, Bawahahahahahaha.. Thought it would “bounce off “… I’d love to know what bullet he used….

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 2500HD, bapple, 11 invisible), 1,551 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,054
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.