Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Notice they said they dont see an entire fleet of electric buses. That is for many reasons. Likely cant make the longer routes without more charging infrastructure and delays to charge. Also, they need more chargers and space for charging and beefing up the electricity supply to the site to get enough power for charging. They dont mention a complete change in tech for the mechanics, who need retrained to repair electric vehicles. They also would not be good for long athletic trips without statewide charging.

Electric is great when it makes sense, glad they are finding a way to use some. There are areas where it just doesnt make sense, and that is why it cannot just be a hard switch over.... the tech isnt ready.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Have any of you seen the hard forced switchover yet?

Aside from the innanet?

I am MAGA.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Saw some posts on batterlife etc. I am a Civil Engineer and my teams are helping states roll out the federal governments plans for chargers along the interstates. My team is working on 3 states around me. We have also helped prepare studies on the feasibility of transit agencies converting to electric. There is a lot of very interesting information. For example, there is not a really good cut away bus ( the small town transit buses that carry about 25 people0. They seem to have a route capability of 80-100 miles, but you dont want to charge them to 100% and you dont want to run them below 20% or so. Additionally, the batteries fade over time, likely in 3-5 years the battery capacity may only be 70% of what it was initially, which really reduces the route distance. For transit, ou can put chargers in the pavement at bust stops, and that can buy you some extra distance. Sitting 10 minutes at each stop to gain a little charge. The problem is the cost of providing and maintaining all of these chargers along the routes. None of this considers the obvious change in technology as it improves and everything will have to be torn out and replaces to upgrade. Not much different than computers 30 years ago, or phones 15 years ago. Tech improves so fast and all the existint stuff doesnt work anymore. Most of our studies have shown our local transit agencies to consider adding electric as tech improves, and slowly add to the shorter routes, if that is a plan they like. May be 10 years before things reach feasibility, and that is for programmed and easily planned transit stuff.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Aside from the innanet?

How much more of a forced transition do you need than inflated gas prices, billions of dollars of our tax dollars to force the installation of unprofitable charging stations across the country, starting along the interstate. Even when proven to not be feasible, the federal plan forces the installation of a charging station every 50 miles along all interstates and then to secondary highways etc. Once they get the system half way converted, prices for both will be high because of a severe loss of customers for fossil fuels and not enough customers for electric. Will still have to deal with the rolling power outages if there is an increase in charging. Does somebody actually have to knock on your door with a gun for it to be considered a forceful switch?

Last edited by Oakster; 01/28/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd suggest the subsidies for both modes be eliminated and we let economics, as opposed to government mandates, regulate our transportation industry.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/28/24.

1Minute
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
BULLS HIT GALORE!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bob_mt
JeffA...as I said on your bear thread ,... tongue in cheek....you have nerves of steel.....I have got $5 that says you cant get it done....
are you on?....bob

That'd be a loosing proposition.

I think the most most of them, deep down in their dark oil stained hearts know the facts but just enjoy being part of the opposition due to some warped ideology they struggle to cling to.

JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
I'd suggest the subsidies for both modes be eliminated and we let economics, as opposed to government mandates, regulate our transportation industry.

Yeah, right.

If the subsidies for big oil were revoked you'd be payin' $10.95 a gallon for fuel.

Who'd be cryin' then?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who is manufacturing the Buses Jeff?

Why are you Commies avoiding this question?

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Oakster

Aside from the innanet?

How much more of a forced transition do you need than inflated gas prices, billions of dollars of our tax dollars to force the installation of unprofitable charging stations across the country, starting along the interstate. Even when proven to not be feasible, the federal plan forces the installation of a charging station every 50 miles along all interstates and then to secondary highways etc. Once they get the system half way converted, prices for both will be high because of a severe loss of customers for fossil fuels and not enough customers for electric. Will still have to deal with the rolling power outages if there is an increase in charging. Does somebody actually have to knock on your door with a gun for it to be considered a forceful switch?

We spent over a trillion the last time we went to Iraq.

How's that system working?

I am MAGA.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SupFoo

What makes you think Jeff is a commie, or are you just being insulting?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

At a guess...really well for the top end of town.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by JSTUART

At a guess...really well for the top end of town.

You ain't a kidding.

Been working real well for a small few since BP asked us to kindly make the Iranians forget who owned the oil under their feet in the early 50's.

I think we are up to just about one Zilllion dollars spent supporting the "never got any help" oil industry.

I am MAGA.
JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by horse1
While there’s certainly room to question the longevity of current batteries, they’ve been using electric traction motors on trains for decades. If the batteries can hold up, the busses might run a lot longer than their hydro-carbon counterparts.

I’m not pro nor anti electric vehicles as choice. Can’t say I’m a big fan of any technology being foisted upon me from the Gov’t either direct mandate or through elimination of other options.
And those electric traction motors occasionally need replaced. At our factory, we had/still have two switch engines, with three traction motors between them, each powered by a 200 hp Cummins.

While I saw all three diesels replaced once in the forty years I worked there, about thirty years ago. We replaced an average of one traction motor per year. The traction motors were an in stock item in the storeroom at each factory. The diesels were not.

Honest question. Based on your statement, the average life of a traction motor on your engines in your yard was roughly 3yrs?

I don’t know diddly-squat about trains, longevity, maintenance, etc.
yes. They almost always failed due to water intrusion.

ID Shooter, I'm not discounting your experience at all here. It's Interesting that electric trolling motors go decades completely submerged and stored/stowed out in the sun for their entire working life and the rail industry hasn't demanded better service of their traction motors. Maybe with the dust, grit, pebbles, rocks, etc. that get kicked up as the trains travel, stuff is just going to get chipped/cracked and the water gets in.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Aside from the innanet?

57 3/4tn-1tn new pickups on the various big 3 (4 w/GMC) lots in Fargo ND. 37 Ram, 5 Chevy, 7 GMC, 2 Fords. Pre-2020 there were 30-50+ of each brand in each size (3/4tn and 1tn).

I know they claim microchip shortage. I suspect there's a significant cutback in production to keep their "Fleets" in compliance w/CAFE standards.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

Lion Electric make the buses they bought. Lion Electric is a Canadian bases company, it has a factory in Illinois that makes electric school buses.

What's this got to do with Communism?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KFWA
how long do schools keep a diesel bus in service? Over 200K miles?

You really need to look at life-cycle costs.

A grant (i.e. other taxpayers) payed 85% of the initial capital cost. Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
While there’s certainly room to question the longevity of current batteries, they’ve been using electric traction motors on trains for decades. If the batteries can hold up, the busses might run a lot longer than their hydro-carbon counterparts.

I’m not pro nor anti electric vehicles as choice. Can’t say I’m a big fan of any technology being foisted upon me from the Gov’t either direct mandate or through elimination of other options.
And those electric traction motors occasionally need replaced. At our factory, we had/still have two switch engines, with three traction motors between them, each powered by a 200 hp Cummins.

While I saw all three diesels replaced once in the forty years I worked there, about thirty years ago. We replaced an average of one traction motor per year. The traction motors were an in stock item in the storeroom at each factory. The diesels were not.

Honest question. Based on your statement, the average life of a traction motor on your engines in your yard was roughly 3yrs?

I don’t know diddly-squat about trains, longevity, maintenance, etc.
yes. They almost always failed due to water intrusion.

ID Shooter, I'm not discounting your experience at all here. It's Interesting that electric trolling motors go decades completely submerged and stored/stowed out in the sun for their entire working life and the rail industry hasn't demanded better service of their traction motors. Maybe with the dust, grit, pebbles, rocks, etc. that get kicked up as the trains travel, stuff is just going to get chipped/cracked and the water gets in.
More lengthy description. Two locos, one 25 ton w/one power unit, one 45 ton w/ two power units. Both low speed.....15 mph tops. And ran solely within our property boundaries. Both run 24/7 for 120 days during processing season each year, and possibly an average of 10 hrs/week the rest of the year. Both machines are 75 plus years old.

Motor failure almost always occurs as snow gets pushed up under the locomotive and into the motor.

Point being: electric motors do fail, even without water intrusion. Bearings wear out, winding short out, armatures fail.

Though I fail to remember the replacement of a fork truck motor. Yes, many a battery. Lead acid batteries lasted three to four years. We kept a fleet of six electric lift trucks. These lift trucks were rated for explosive environments, so the motors were sealed exceptionally well.

As far as I remember, the motors were good for the life of the truck. In our environment that life was fifteen to twenty years, then we scrapped them.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JSTUART
I guess the skool bus thing is over now?

We know it isn't feasible, they know we know and they will still insist on selling the whole bill of goods to us.

Most of us don't want a bar of it and they still don't care...what more can we say?

Gawd...that's the scary thing though.

It might just be feasible.

We just don't want to have to publicly eat all that crow...

Some of these old fuggers hope they die before the electric take over happens.

Just so they don't have to admit they were wrong.

How in hell's half acre did I miss this thread for a couple of days? Oh, yeah. I don't think I logged on from Fri night until yesterday evening and then I didn't stay long.

Anywhoooo..................

Jim, I'm with you. Some of these old fuggers still haven't figured out that it would be OK for them to go out and buy a 6.5 Creedlemore if they chose to do it just for the heck of it........

kamo_gari's video from TX was right..........this place is just hilarious some days.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, beefan, 300_savage, 6 invisible), 1,428 guests, and 796 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.