Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
Parkers is a bit dry for me. Sam Jones, Bum's, Skylight are all good. A couple of others that I'm not sure have been mentioned are Moore's and McCall's. Pretty good, but a notch down from the Ayden guys. Bill Ellis BBQ in Wilson was buffet-style and was very good as well. Unfortunately, it is no longer in business.
I agree - Parkers is terribly dry, and ground up so fine it's like eating sawdust.
If you liked Bill Ellis', try Marty's. Marty was Bill's grandson, if I recall correctly.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Dry rub, vinegar, white slaw here. If we use red sauce it’s on the plate and only Stubbs. That scheit is like crack cocaine.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by jackmountain; 01/31/24.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Canned garlic dills on the side.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
Never had any bad NC BBQ. Some better than others, but none bad. Other than Wilburs in Kinston NC. Ironically one of the holy grail BBQ places in NC. Tried it three times. Bad everytime.
Wilbur's is in Goldsboro - Kings is in Kinston. Which one was it?
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
Never had any bad NC BBQ. Some better than others, but none bad. Other than Wilburs in Kinston NC. Ironically one of the holy grail BBQ places in NC. Tried it three times. Bad everytime.
Wilbur's is in Goldsboro - Kings is in Kinston. Which one was it?

Wilbur’s. I’ve not been since it re- opened. Anything would be an improvement. I hear good things about it but I do not go through Goldsboro since the by pass opened.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
Originally Posted by KFWA
no one should be

There's a BBQ place out here that has to sauce the crap out of everything they sell with that Alabama white sauce. Place is pretty popular with the locals. Damn shame the only way they survive is because folks don't know what good BBQ is.

If they are serving Alabama white sauce with anything other than smoked Chicken then they don’t know what the hell they are doing. Try some chicken with Alabama white sauce from Big Bob Gibson’s in Decatur and get back to me. I put their pulled pork right up there with anyone’s as well.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
Originally Posted by KFWA
no one should be

There's a BBQ place out here that has to sauce the crap out of everything they sell with that Alabama white sauce. Place is pretty popular with the locals. Damn shame the only way they survive is because folks don't know what good BBQ is.

If they are serving Alabama white sauce with anything other than smoked Chicken then they don’t know what the hell they are doing. Try some chicken with Alabama white sauce from Big Bob Gibson’s in Decatur and get back to me. I put their pulled pork right up there with anyone’s as well.

Yes sir, alabama white sauce is for chicken, not pork.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JB in SC
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Maurice Bessinger’s mustard based bbq in Columbia was excellent. It’s long gone now.

The original Bridges in Shelby, NC was excellent too, but I haven’t been there in years.

Those two stood out as worth a trip for me all these years.

+1 on both. I have to hear that Maurice’s is no longer in operation.

The last time I went by there, which was probably August or September, it looked like they were operational. Is this recent? I go byBessingers in Charleston at least weekly but have never stopped. Have to swing in some time.

Well dang it is still open, run by his sons and daughter. That’s great news. I’m wrong and glad of it…

I sure heard they were closing it up after Maurice died in 2014.

The Cancel Culture gang sure tried to shut him down while he was still alive. Maurice, in his younger years, wore a white hood and often made "controversial" statements. This was all public knowledge, but it was dredged back up in his later years and the Lefties tried to destroy him. All the grocery stores quit selling his sauce and the NAACP placed a boycott on his restaurants. To their dismay, the original Piggie Park is still going strong and there are several smaller locations around. I still eat there regularly, mostly for their great hash & rice and outstanding burgers.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
Originally Posted by cra1948
Maurice Bessinger’s mustard based bbq in Columbia was excellent. It’s long gone now.

The original Bridges in Shelby, NC was excellent too, but I haven’t been there in years.

Those two stood out as worth a trip for me all these years.

+1 on both. I have to hear that Maurice’s is no longer in operation.

The last time I went by there, which was probably August or September, it looked like they were operational. Is this recent? I go byBessingers in Charleston at least weekly but have never stopped. Have to swing in some time.

Well dang it is still open, run by his sons and daughter. That’s great news. I’m wrong and glad of it…

I sure heard they were closing it up after Maurice died in 2014.

The Cancel Culture gang sure tried to shut him down while he was still alive. Maurice, in his younger years, wore a white hood and often made "controversial" statements. This was all public knowledge, but it was dredged back up in his later years and the Lefties tried to destroy him. All the grocery stores quit selling his sauce and the NAACP placed a boycott on his restaurants. To their dismay, the original Piggie Park is still going strong and there are several smaller locations around. I still eat there regularly, mostly for their great hash & rice and outstanding burgers.

I haven’t been to Columbia since I retired, I always stopped to get the hash and rice and a couple of pounds of bbq on my way home.

Food Lion sold Maurice’s Pork (frozen) for a few years and it was still really good. I don’t remember when they stopped selling it but it’s been a while.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by shootem
Y’all can pull your pork and crock your butts, but it don’t compare to barbeque . And if there’s not hardwood smoke involved it ain’t barbeque. Lots of “Eastern NC” barbeque is baked pork with very few working pits and chimneys.

Lancaster’s?

I’ve been iirc 3 times there. 1st to try it and the last two for school athletics. It’s mundane at best. Matter of fact the whole place is forgettable in my opinion. Some folks like it though it’s still in business, I guess. There’s one spot we drop by when down their way, City Barbecue in Huntersville. No fresh smoke but it’s still a good feed.

Head over my way in Rowan and try yourself some Hendrix. I bet you thank me. Actually. I still owe you for that cart that I turned into a gun cleaning station. Head this way and I’ll spring for some Hendrix.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cooked slow and smoky until it reaches the magical temp, 190* and stays there until collagen breaks down and pulls off the bone. Hold the sauce until served and have choices of different sauces for different taste. Either vinegar or mustard based for me!

Good stuff!

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Originally Posted by 1beaver_shooter
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Originally Posted by 1beaver_shooter
Y’all can pull your pork and crock your butts, but it don’t compare to barbeque . And if there’s not hardwood smoke involved it ain’t barbeque. Lots of “Eastern NC” barbeque is baked pork with very few working pits and chimneys.

Lancaster’s?
This is true go to the lighthouse in ayden nc and you will see plies of wood and a guy chopping whole hog everything but the squeal as they say they been cooking there for about 50 years and some days there is a line out the door ,barbeque, slaw and cornbread that's the menu.

Bum's there in Ayden used to cook on wood. I haven't been there in years but I thought it was better than Skylight back then and they had a full menu if someone didn't want pork.
Yea skylight I was not paying attention to my fingers or my mind, Bum's is still there and cooking good que also ,Parker's in Greenville and Wilson are still good but chop a little fine for my taste but the sauce is good . Sam Jones, the guy who inherited the skylight has his own restaurant in Winterville and cooks the same as the ayden restaurant but with a larger menu and better hours it's simply named Sam Jones Barbeque

Morris bbq near hookerton was a favorite of mine. They only open on Saturdays, it's another old store...kinda looks like several old chit houses pulled together. Haven't been there in at least 3 years but it was great last time. Sorta like the Skylight Inn.
Check out Marty's in Wilson next time you're here - they are about as good as it gets in today's world.

Wife's mom likes Marty's, she complains over the price in-between the great compliments.....then she forgets the whole event.
I'm trying to get my dick-do disease under control so BBQ joints are out for a while.
Hope you're doing well!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
Originally Posted by ironbender
I looked up red slaw. One recipe had ketchup in it.

Is that right?

It's an abomination, and one thing that eastern NC got wrong about BBQ.

They don’t have red slaw down East. At least I’ve never seen any down East. Piedmont (Lexington) style BBQ houses make gallons of it every day. Folks from out of town tend to love it. My coworkers from Indiana get containers of it to take home every time they come this way.

Yeah I got that turned around, it's a Piedmont thing. I pray for your co-workers from Indiana.

Last edited by BuckHaggard; 02/01/24.
R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Some of the best pork BBQ I can remember eating came from a roadside shack in far southeast Virginia right along the state line.
With mom having grown up in Suffolk and having family between there and Little Washington she knew where to stop.

The only sauce available at those places was peppered vinegar.

FJB & FJT
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 1minute, 06hunter59, 257robertsimp, 59 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,550
Posts18,472,964
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.