Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 26 27
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/vortex-lht-4-5-22-durability-test.7105709/post-9953953

Interesting post from Ilya Koshkin about Formidilosus over on snipershide from 2022... might be old news to you guys but I thought it was interesting.

I talked to the gentleman in question a couple of years ago. He seemed like a perfectly personable guy, but his results do not jive with mine. I also have the advantage of knowing the return statistics of several manufacturers. What he says about scopes sounds plausible, but does not jive with with what I have seen and what I know about the statistics of this. It also does not jive with the experience of a couple of fairly large armories I interact with for my dayjob.

I have not read everything he wrote over the years, but enough to think a lot of it is at least embellished (hunting stories) or out right silly nonsense (some of the scope tests). He does a good job of making them sound scientific, but it is really too uncontrolled of an experiment to make conclusions out of. I've been involved in designing equipment for durability testing of this stuff and I can tell you right off hand that the way he does it I can make any scope fail or any scope pass. It is as simple as that.

Beyond that, he clearly has a beef with Vortex. I do not know the origin of it, but he has never managed to find a Vortex scope that works. Not once. That's one hell of a lucky streak. He also has never managed to find a Nightforce scope that wasn't flawless, indestructible, etc. Is he a Nightforce shill? Perhaps, but he also likes older LOW designs like the SWFA SS HD and Bushnell LRHS/LRTS. I know with good amount of certainty that he does not have any personal relationship with the folks at SWFA. In other words, I have no idea where his bias comes from, but I know he hates Vortex with a passion.

He either does or did work for the military. Sometimes, he talks about it all the time and other times he goes all secret squirrel about it. I did not bother to check whether that is true or not, but he does like to sound mysterious.

He goes from forum to forum and bashes companies he does not like in more or less the same way. I know that on at least a couple of forums he got paid to stick around, presumably because he spins a nice sounding story and attracts an audience. Since it is always some form of the same nonsense, I sorta stopped paying attention to him a couple of years ago.

In case you were wondering why Form doesn't post here anymore, it looks like Rokslide is probably paying him to post over there.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks for finding that again mcclure. I vaguely remember that post from Koshkin. I started questioning Form's validity when I mentioned the scopes I've used to cull whitetails and hogs. The majority of those failed his tests in spite of them performing well for me. Then he gets into this "I kill game too, thousands (plural) of them over the years. His ego won't allow me to believe a whole lot of what he says. I asked him over on RS not too long ago why he quit posting over here, and his reply was that nobody on 24HCF was interested in learning anything.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Interestingly enough, I just listened to a podcast that Form was on with the Shoot to Hunt guys (Avery owns Rokslide) from a year ago or so, where he emphatically stated that he has never received a single dollar from any firearm industry forum, and was clear that he isn't paid by Rokslide.

Did talk about a bunch of industry guys being butthurt about their scopes being evaluated though. And people being butthurt when their favorite brand doesn't do well. Which, that sounds pretty legit give how the optics forum goes around here.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Thanks for finding that again mcclure. I vaguely remember that post from Koshkin. I started questioning Form's validity when I mentioned the scopes I've used to cull whitetails and hogs. The majority of those failed his tests in spite of them performing well for me. Then he gets into this "I kill game too, thousands (plural) of them over the years. His ego won't allow me to believe a whole lot of what he says. I asked him over on RS not too long ago why he quit posting over here, and his reply was that nobody on 24HCF was interested in learning anything.

Years ago, I met an older guy when I was learning to shoot small bore silhouette. Real pleasant guy, taught me a BUNCH about shooting, and how to reload.
The first time he showed me how to get started to reload at his home, I remember being absolutely shocked at the number of rifles he had in the basement. They were everywhere. Hundreds of rifles. Leaning against every wall, in cabinets, on hooks, stacked in pyramids in the corners.
I asked him about how he came to have that many rifles (and he had some HIGH class stuff). He'd said before in passing, that he'd killed enough deer, he didn't need to kill one, just to kill one.

As I got to know him better over the years, he talked about the years he'd spent in New Zealand culling deer, and shooting for meat in a few different countries. New Zealand in particular, where he'd shoot 5-20 deer a day, with the only day off he took was Christmas.

I did the math on that once... Made me realize that there are people out there with experience levels that I can't even fully comprehend when it comes to on game bullet performance.

Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KodiakHntr
Interestingly enough, I just listened to a podcast that Form was on with the Shoot to Hunt guys (Avery owns Rokslide) from a year ago or so, where he emphatically stated that he has never received a single dollar from any firearm industry forum, and was clear that he isn't paid by Rokslide.

Did talk about a bunch of industry guys being butthurt about their scopes being evaluated though. And people being butthurt when their favorite brand doesn't do well. Which, that sounds pretty legit give how the optics forum goes around here.

Formy (Chuck) lies about his testing and everything else.

Everyone who knows understands he just a liar about everything from scope testing to hunting experience.

It's easy to see for the Players but some of the Fans get sucked in.

The Maven tests are clear examples of his fake testing and bias.

To be clear I like and use Maven scopes and can smile at how Formy had to quit lying on Rokslide about how the Maven scopes performed.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
He seemed knowledgeable when it came to scopes.

When it came to telling all sundry in the Handgun forum a 22 was a 32 a 9mm was a 45 with solids bullschidt his lustre wore off pretty damn quick.

Probably an FBlIe guy...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HawkI

When it came to telling all sundry in the Handgun forum a 22 was a 32 a 9mm was a 45 with solids bullschidt his lustre wore off pretty damn quick.

Probably an FBlIe guy...

He only seemed knowlegeable about scopes if one was not well versed in scopes.

You're well versed in handguns and saw through his handgun bullshit pretty fast.

He stepped on his dick about scopes just like he stepped on his dick about handguns.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 02/01/24.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I asked him about how he came to have that many rifles (and he had some HIGH class stuff). He'd said before in passing, that he'd killed enough deer, he didn't need to kill one, just to kill one.

Just as we were about to find out how and why he owned so many rifles….deer hunting. Zing, right turn

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Formidilosus was full of himself

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Probably an FBlIe guy...

You're well versed in handguns and saw through his handgun bullshit pretty fast.

He stepped on his dick about scopes just like he stepped on his dick about handguns.

I am NOT as well versed with the plethora of scopes as others and readily admit it, which is why I rarely post here and shut up and listen.

When he started in with the "handgun bullet testing" I quit his BS pretty quick.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That man can mount a scope.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by cotis

Just as we were about to find out how and why he owned so many rifles….deer hunting. Zing, right turn

The deer were heavily armed?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475
Formidilosus was full of himself

Nothing wrong with being "full" of onesself. If an ego bothers you then refute with facts.

It happens when one does the work and knows the subject matter.

Being full of BullShit is very different.

Formy is full of BullShit.

Probably an FBlIe guy...

I am NOT as well versed with the plethora of scopes as others and readily admit it, which is why I rarely post here and shut up and listen.

When he started in with the "handgun bullet testing" I quit his BS pretty quick.

It's easy to see the BullShitters out over their skis when the subject matter is something one which one has a deep understanding.

Formy was willing to lie about many things and his bullshit in the handgun forum tipped the scales here at 24hr Campfire.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I said this at the time. Guess what the mob here made fun of me and attacked me personally instead of addressing exactly what they felt I said was incorrect. Form talked about shooting 100k rounds through rifles with a specific scope. Then all he ever showed was pics of tikkas with factory barrels still on them.

A lot of people swallowed everything he said with baited breath.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
One of the most surprising revelations in all of these “tests” is that so many can’t smell the BS. On his Tract test, the testing was so bad the only thing “learned” was that the Tract’s reps couldn’t look at his process and see how bad it was.

When somebody uses the POI in unknown conditions as if it’s irrefutable proof of the scopes POA, it’s BS. Example; Al’s pictures of when his scope failed was shot in measured/flagged conditions by a skilled guy who’s shot thousands of rounds in measured conditions. If a bullet falls out, or completely scatters he’s pretty sure it wasn’t him.

When someone else just shoots in “seemed calm” conditions or “consistently shoots in the twos”, they’re full of schidt. Guns that shoot in the twos only do that when you monitor the conditions or steer them. Tests without flags or someone who knows how to shoot with flags——you don’t know if you’re seeing a shifting POA, or a weather report. When they cite their credentials to fill in the gaps, it doesn’t say much for the test, or the credentials.

Failure's always an option
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by cotis

Thought I’d put that in there. Sorry. He was shooting deer for the meat market. Paid by the pound.

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A

I own SWFA scopes and Tikka rifles. Plenty of what Form says makes sense. I'd be shocked if he didn't have a financial arrangement with Rokslide, whatever he says. Probably a few other financial arrangements as well. I don't hold it against him.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You might honestly be the biggest douche bag on earth.

Congratulations?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Blindly trusting any anonymous online user doesn’t seem like a good practice.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Formy (Chuck) lies about his testing and everything else.

Everyone who knows understands he just a liar about everything from scope testing to hunting experience.

The Maven tests are clear examples of his fake testing and bias.

To be clear I like and use Maven scopes and can smile at how Formy had to quit lying on Rokslide about how the Maven scopes performed.
You left out that you have a business relationship/financial interest in Maven.

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1Longbow, 160user, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 53 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,840
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.