Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Let us know when someone sees one in person to verify mag or hinged floor plate, thanks... Joe

Doing the right thing is not always the easiest thing. It still needs doing..
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by POKERFACE6
Let us know when someone sees one in person to verify mag or hinged floor plate, thanks... Joe

Tuesday.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Mine should be delivered Saturday...but from noon today through end of the weekend I'll be hunting...unless THE ONE shows up earlier.

The 'fire should be one in spirit towards the goal of willing THE ONE to sacrifice himself to me this evening for the good of the forum, thus allowing me to pick up the rifle Saturday and report back here. I will selflessly take the task of accepting his sacrifice upon myself,...again...for the good of the 'fire.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Anyone live near the Brownell's store that could go take a look in person?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have a couple of the blued metal Mini's, and have been mulling over whether I want one of the new stainless versions. Anyway, checked on Brownells site, and found out that my neighbor the gunsmith is listed as one the FFL's they ship to. Called him up and asked him if he would accept one for me, and he said yes, but after listening to me tell him why I wanted one, he said his understanding was that all the Howa Mini's, stainless and blued, had the same detachable magazine. Which would leave me to believe that the stainless version does not a factory bottom metal like the standard Howa 1500's do. I hope I'm wrong about that, and will wait until some of the posters here recieve their's and can confirm it.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Mine should be delivered Saturday...but from noon today through end of the weekend I'll be hunting...unless THE ONE shows up earlier.

The 'fire should be one in spirit towards the goal of willing THE ONE to sacrifice himself to me this evening for the good of the forum, thus allowing me to pick up the rifle Saturday and report back here. I will selflessly take the task of accepting his sacrifice upon myself,...again...for the good of the 'fire.
laugh

Pears and spirits sent!!!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That’s my guess as well, but we’ll have to see. It will determine what I do with the one I have.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I chatted with Brownells customer service and they couldn't give me a definitive answer, they said to contact Legacy Sports. So I emailed them this morning and they said to contact Brownell's!
Guess we will have to wait until someone opens a box to find out. Mine won't arrive at the FFL until Tuesday. The anticipation is killing me!

EDIT - Legacy Sports just emailed me back again and said that the image that Brownell's is using is incorrect. All Howa Mini's come with detachable magazine.

Last edited by PA_Probe; 02/02/24.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

"Willing THE ONE" to show up for you . Have fun and shoot straight... Joe

Doing the right thing is not always the easiest thing. It still needs doing..
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by PA_Probe
I chatted with Brownells customer service and they couldn't give me a definitive answer, they said to contact Legacy Sports. So I emailed them this morning and they said to contact Brownell's!
Guess we will have to wait until someone opens a box to find out. Mine won't arrive at the FFL until Tuesday. The anticipation is killing me!

EDIT - Legacy Sports just emailed me back again and said that the image that Brownell's is using is incorrect. All Howa Mini's come with detachable magazine.

Bummer … (as he picks up the phone and rings hokeypokeykid!)

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As much as I'd like to own a Mini stainless, I'll not buy one with that awful azz plastic magazine setup. Howa puts a very nice stainless bottom metal on their full size rifle models, and there is absolutely no reason for not doing so on the Minis.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That will save me some money as I can give the old one and the new mag stuff to my son who has an extra stock and mag(s?) from the one I bought my grandson. He can pony up for the JO parts if he wants them; I’m on a fixed income…

If it comes with a floorplate, I’ll feel pressure to buy a stock etc etc for the old one and add it to the clutter.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesJr
As much as I'd like to own a Mini stainless, I'll not buy one with that awful azz plastic magazine setup. Howa puts a very nice stainless bottom metal on their full size rifle models, and there is absolutely no reason for not doing so on the Minis.

Actually, it’s aluminum, but you make an excellent point. It doesn’t however, keep me from spending another $175 to get a rifle that suits me. That’s barely the cost of a night out.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Actually, it’s aluminum, but you make an excellent point. It doesn’t however, keep me from spending another $175 to get a rifle that suits me. That’s barely the cost of a night out.

20 bucks is a good night out for me.......I'm tight

Yeah, it's aluminum, but still is a lot better and nicer looking than that plastic crap on the Minis.

Last edited by JamesJr; 02/02/24.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348

20 bucks is a good night out for me.......I'm tight

Yeah, it's aluminum, but still is a lot better and nicer looking than that plastic crap on the Minis.

When I buy one it’s with the intent of replacing it with something else, at least the guard anyway. The factory mags with one of the alloy guards might be okay for something that might be kept empty but need to be loaded quickly. They are at least commonly available. The CZ mags make for a slimmer and classier appearance, but are on borrowed time. I have three, probably enough, but might toss another one in my cart if I buy something else from the CZ store. They are very slim and tidy compared to the factory ones.

I only paid $359 for my original Grendel, so can’t fuss over the cost of a better mag, although a simple blind setup would’ve been fine. JO makes a guard for that too.

You think you’re cheap? We might eat out one night a year. Movies- never. Bars-ditto. We’ve both been some places, and don’t need to go back…..

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
I'd still be surprised, particularly at subsonic velocities. I definitely would not screw my suppressor on until I was darned sure they were stable.

Midway has the 190 Sub-X in stock ($46/100), I waited months for them to come back in stock before I was able to order any (last fall), then they ran out again and it took a couple of more months for them to come back in stock. They recently got them back in. If it's something you're set on I would order them now.

I even wonder about the 190 Sub-X at subsonic velocities... While my 300 Blackout (Rem/AAC Model 7) has been incredibly accurate with supersonic Speer 150 gold dot blackout bullets and Barnes Tac-Tx 110 bullets, I've never got more than what I consider middling accuracy with the subsonic heavies. Maybe I just need to find the right load yet???

Jerry

Good info, thanks! If a guy really had trouble with stability, the 170 SubX bullets for the 30-30 would certainly be an option.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
[:D

Pears and spirits sent!!!

"Willing THE ONE" to show up for you . Have fun and shoot straight... Joe

Appreciated! However, your pair of pears were fruitless... I still have Fri and Sat this so hope remains.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just picked mine up, it’s standard detachable magazine…if that wasn’t already confirmed.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Detachable mag. No floor plate

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Bummer about the lack of a proper floorplate. Fit and finish look good? I pick mine up on Wednesday.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,315 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,394
Posts18,488,802
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.