Home
Posted By: prairie_goat Howa Mini Stainless - 01/19/24
Looks like stainless Howa Minis may be on the horizon in the States, if this Brownells barreled action new product is any indication.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts...5-grendel-barreled-action/?sku=430107692

Wonder if we'll hear more about it next week during SHOT Show?
Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/19/24
That would be great! Never made sense why they wouldn’t offer them here in the US
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/19/24
Yeah i wish they would build the Superlite model in stainless, i would definitely be a buyer....Hb
Posted By: MedRiver Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/19/24
That would be great. Make mine a 6 ARC
Posted By: LeftHunter Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/19/24
Looks like it has regular bottom metal on the stainless model as well based on the picture
Posted By: Ndbowhunter Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/19/24
Make it a 223

.062 free ore

Give it a 2.45” mag box

8 twist I can suffer.

Now if leupold can get that 2.5-10 mark4 hold zero 2024 might be the year gun/optics take a swing in the right direction
Posted By: AKduck Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/19/24
Finally.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/19/24
Originally Posted by MedRiver

I’m definitely blaming you!

lol

That’s fantastic news.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/19/24
That is pretty good news.
Posted By: Potsy Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/19/24
C’mon .22 ARC!!!
Posted By: beretzs Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/19/24
That's what I am hoping for!
Posted By: Maddmatt Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/19/24
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Yeah i wish they would build the Superlite model in stainless, i would definitely be a buyer....Hb

Make it a blind mag and Stainless and I'll buy one of each caliber and some spares to rebore/rebarrel
Posted By: WTM45 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/19/24
Chamber a .222R and put it in a really strong lightweight stock.
I'd buy two.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/19/24
Originally Posted by Potsy
C’mon .22 ARC!!!

Originally Posted by beretzs
That's what I am hoping for!

They’d sell a pile.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/19/24
Gotta wonder if Brownells is going to become another U.S. distributer, for the barreled actions, if they’re not already.

Love me some Howas for certain. Never an issue with any I’ve had.
Posted By: Steelruger22 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/19/24
Oh hell yes....
Posted By: TripleL05 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/19/24
Originally Posted by LeftHunter
Looks like it has regular bottom metal on the stainless model as well based on the picture

This is the one item that keeps me from buying one of these. I know there are aftermarket options but in my opinion, a hinged floor plate mini would rock! Let’s hope the picture is correct!
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/19/24
I don't see the appeal of a Howa Mini in 22 ARC. The reason being that a bunch of us are going to replace the bottom metal anyway. With that being the case, we eliminate the primary appeal of the 22 ARC over the 223, namely fitting longer bullets into a magazine, since the ARC and 223 length Jefferson Outdoor mags are both 2.450”. The velocity advantage of the ARC over the 223 isn’t great, and certainly isn’t enough in my mind to overcome the vast logistical advantage of the 223.
The only place I could see the 22 ARC being an advantage over a 223 in the Mini is for the guy who only shoots factory ammo.
Posted By: stinkycoyote Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/19/24
is that pic representative of an actual mini-action? mag box looks a little long, hinged floor plate? not that stupid giant plastic hunk of crap 5 round detach mag? and plastic bottom metal?

clarify that bottom metal before you put your orders in to know if you need to still buy Jefferson outdoors bottom end which you may need to request silver finish on the aluminum vs black if you want matchy matchy, he probably hasn't seen this yet to know there may be a need for some silver finish runs, if that mini is actually coming with hinged bottom in silver already then these concerns all go away

a step in the right direction, good barrel length, threaded, to the oz counters for sheep builds you can slab that action and flute bolt, hollow bolt handle and lose 3.0 oz total from the action/bolt/handle wink
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/19/24
Looks to be a stock photo, as it appears to be the same photo whether looking at the stainless Mini 6.5 Grendel, the 1500 stainless 6.5 Prick, or the stainless 300 Win Mag.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Looks to be a stock photo, as it appears to be the same photo whether looking at the stainless Mini 6.5 Grendel, the 1500 stainless 6.5 Prick, or the stainless 300 Win Mag.

exactly my thoughts also

as soon as someone confirms they should head to 6.5 Grendel forums where Jefferson is hokeypokeykid and advise stainless coming and they will sell like hotcakes so start planning on hinged bottom kit runs with silver finishes lol

happy to do so if someone gets that confirmation just let me know and will let him know
Posted By: kandpand Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/19/24
I am a rifle loony and I have bought, sold, and traded numerous rifles trying to find the perfect one. I have come to believe that there are too many variables to find the perfect rifle for every circumstance. I have owned three Howa Mini's, carbon stocks, slimed down stock, bottom metal. They were almost perfect but I wanted stainless. Maybe now I can start again and find that "perfect" rifle.
Originally Posted by kandpand
I am a rifle loony and I have bought, sold, and traded numerous rifles trying to find the perfect one. I have come to believe that there are too many variables to find the perfect rifle for every circumstance. I have owned three Howa Mini's, carbon stocks, slimed down stock, bottom metal. They were almost perfect but I wanted stainless. Maybe now I can start again and find that "perfect" rifle.

yes, slab/flute/hollow bolt handle on the stainless, timney trigger for the single stage and proper knurled safety (not cheap stamped tin with no grippy), I would skip the stocky's carbon since I have one and the makers of barbie dolls could do better, go with Pendleton for an extra 2 oz and at least you can pick your options/lop/colors etc. and have a proper feeling stiffer stock worthy of the metal going on it, and likely you'll need Jeffersons hinged bottom kit in a stainless color finish instead of black, tie it all together with a quality smith/bed job and would be pretty perfect, oh and have a machinest copy the talley low lightweights in 7075 lol for rings, but actually I found even better alignment slightly lower with Burris xt steel bases (no overhang) and weaver detach top mount rings...I don't think talley does x-low? I'd have to check it all again but surely have the lowest talley here in multiple sets and just recently went for robust squared on mine so ended up happier and lower surprisingly better snap shot alignment with the bases/weavers...fyi

these freaking howa's are such money pits, the definition of fack around and find out, not sure why they can't do it right the first time? I gravitated towards things I didn't have to fack with out of the box, on the low end that's a ruger American ranch for a mini, and as long as you can handle a standard short action cartridge then the sako 90 peak is on the high end, I'm personally done with howa, too late to the party to care, will beat on the last one I have and loan out etc. but will drive the ranch grendel when I feel blue collar and the sako 308 when I'm feeling more white collar
Posted By: Hunterapp Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/19/24
Originally Posted by MedRiver
Ill 2nd that.
Posted By: Stump Buster Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/20/24
Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy....

Been wanting one of these since I got my first one. Have 4 grandkids (at the moment) need to buy at least two more mini's.
Posted By: Potsy Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/20/24
I don't see the appeal of a Howa Mini in 22 ARC. The reason being that a bunch of us are going to replace the bottom metal anyway. With that being the case, we eliminate the primary appeal of the 22 ARC over the 223, namely fitting longer bullets into a magazine, since the ARC and 223 length Jefferson Outdoor mags are both 2.450”. The velocity advantage of the ARC over the 223 isn’t great, and certainly isn’t enough in my mind to overcome the vast logistical advantage of the 223.
The only place I could see the 22 ARC being an advantage over a 223 in the Mini is for the guy who only shoots factory ammo.

Thinkin’ 88’s.
The 19lb 24” .22BR needs a baby brother…….
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/20/24
I can just transfer my aftermarket parts to the SS and scrounge some takeoff standard parts from my grandson and have two, sell one, or turn it over to my granddaughter. Don’t GAS about the color of the floorplate. Actually, the black might look better against the black with white splatter Pendleton.
Posted By: Hunterapp Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/20/24
I am glad they are not looking to offer the SS option for the 6mm ARC. That would be just too tempting.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/20/24
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
I am glad they are not looking to offer the SS option for the 6mm ARC. That would be just too tempting.

lol
Posted By: pka45 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/25/24
Just waiting for more confirming info on this, but not finding anything. Would LOVE a 223 1/7. Or an ARC.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/25/24
Ditto. Have a Carbon Stalker .223 that would lose its stock and magazine upgrade for one of those. Prefer a .223, which does all I need at present.

First SS Mini I see is getting snagged.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/25/24
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Ditto. Have a Carbon Stalker .223 that would lose its stock and magazine upgrade for one of those. Prefer a .223, which does all I need at present.

Late spring is what they said. No knowledge of any other chamberings coming - for now.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/25/24
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Late spring is what they said. No knowledge of any other chamberings coming - for now.

There better be a 22 ARC..
Posted By: Potsy Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/25/24

There better be a 22 ARC..

Surely…….
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/26/24
2024 catalog only shows stainless in short and long action in wood stocks unless I missed something. I could get behind a grendel or ARC in stainless, or a .223 or Legend for that matter.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/26/24
Their catalog has never IME, been an accurate listing of what’s available, more like a guide. Brownell’s, as exclusive distributer for the barreled actions, can likely get whatever they ask for, and maybe they are more in tune with actual demand than the fortune tellers at Legacy.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/26/24
No one that I've ever talked with knows why Howa does what they do. From the clunky and chunk Hogue stocks, to the plastic triggerguards and magazines, they seem to always come up with a way to ruin what would have been otherwise a good thing.
Posted By: Potsy Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/26/24
I’m kinda weird about this one….

If they come out with a .22 Arc, I’ll grab one. Stainless or Blued. 20” “heavy” barrel.

BUT, I don’t want this rifle chambered in anything else, and I don’t really want a different rifle chambered in .22 Arc. Dream Howa or nothing.

So if I don’t see it by fall or so, I’m just gonna grab a Tikka Lite Stainless .223 and get it chopped and threaded. I’m already well set up for .223 with brass, and I’m pretty fond of my RCBS .223 dies, so I don’t have to play Redding Roullette.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 01/27/24
Originally Posted by Potsy
I’m kinda weird about this one….

If they come out with a .22 Arc, I’ll grab one. Stainless or Blued. 20” “heavy” barrel.

BUT, I don’t want this rifle chambered in anything else, and I don’t really want a different rifle chambered in .22 Arc. Dream Howa or nothing.

So if I don’t see it by fall or so, I’m just gonna grab a Tikka Lite Stainless .223 and get it chopped and threaded. I’m already well set up for .223 with brass, and I’m pretty fond of my RCBS .223 dies, so I don’t have to play Redding Roullette.

The quickest route to a Mini 22 ARC may be buying a Brownells barreled action, selling the barrel to recoup costs, and slapping one of these prefits in 22 ARC onto your action: https://preferredbarrelblanks.com/product/howa-mini-variable-shoulder-m22x1/
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/01/24

Lying bastids lie.
Posted By: stinkycoyote Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/01/24

Lying bastids lie.

The democrats of the gun world.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/01/24
Yup. Me too.

Snag accomplished! (Just one though)
Posted By: Steelruger22 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/01/24
You boys are quick on the draw. I was signing in to spread the word but you all beat me to it. Got mine ordered. Can't wait to get her.
My “product alert” came in 3 hours after my order. Fortunately one of my fellow enablers gave me the heads up. Good man he is! 🫡

Wonder how long they stay in stock?
Had it bookmarked and signed up for notification. Been checking every day. Notice came at 23:05.

Had some “issues” with the dealer selector, but kept banging on it until I got through.
Looks like it’s also available in the 7.62 - but no arc.
I checked (quickly!) for a .223, but no cigar. I’m well-stocked with Grendel stuff, so no issues there.

Not sure how I’ll handle this one yet. My son has a spare stock and mag setup that’ll work, so I may just let him have the old one after swapping my Pendleton stock and JO floorplate onto this one.
Posted By: PA_Probe Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/01/24
Ordered one in stainless this morning. Code JAN55 for $55 off.
Total for my order was $535.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/01/24
I would not have picked up the .350 Legend to play with had I known this was coming so soon. Oh well....order placed. Thanks for the code PA_Probe!
Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/01/24
Looks like it’s also available in the 7.62 - but no arc.

Strange chamber offerings for the first release but awesome the stainless is showing up here. Hopefully it is a long term deal and I don’t kick myself waiting for a 223
The Grendel is very popular, but the Russki might be slipping a bit since all the cheap ammo has dried up. Both are solid little deer whackers.
Jan125 works as a code also if multiples are in the cart.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/01/24
I guess I’ll wait for a 6 ARC to show up. Not that I need one, but would be a nice little project.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/01/24
I kinda sorta want one in 7.62x39 to fling subsonic 255 Sub Xs.
Then kinda sorta order one😛
Posted By: Stump Buster Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/01/24
Got mine ordered today as well!
Posted By: Stump Buster Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/01/24
Just heard back from Chris...

JO was will have silver bottom metal for the stainless mini's on the next run or the batch after that?
Looks like stainless Howa Minis may be on the horizon in the States, if this Brownells barreled action new product is any indication.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts...5-grendel-barreled-action/?sku=430107692

Wonder if we'll hear more about it next week during SHOT Show?
Didn't read the 6 pages, BUT...

Brownell's lists the 6.5 Grendel and the 7.62X39 Stainless barreled action in stock... though that may soon change.

Jerry

Never mind... I see it's old news.

"I kinda sorta want one in 7.62x39 to fling subsonic 255 Sub Xs"

Good luck with that 1:9.5" twist
Posted By: PA_Probe Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/01/24
Got my shipped notification today. Hopefully this time the magazine is included. My last HB 6.5 Grendel came without the magazine. I had spares but felt a little ripped off.
Originally Posted by PA_Probe
Got my shipped notification today. Hopefully this time the magazine is included. My last HB 6.5 Grendel came without the magazine. I had spares but felt a little ripped off.

Still a bit of a question. Brownells is saying hinged floorplate. See what shows up. 😳
I

Still a bit of a question. Brownells is saying hinged floorplate. See what shows up. 😳

I’m cautiously pessimistic…….

Wouldn’t that be just swell though.
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/01/24
I'm intrigued but not enough to order one yet. Let us know what the bottom metal situation is, that could get me off the fence.
Just a heads up, Jefferson outdoors just got their 6.5/7.62 bdl bottom metal in stock. 9/10 they are sold out of them.

https://jeffersonoutdoor.com/bottom-metal/
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker

Stability calculator shows it working fine, Hornady says 9.5 works, and a poster on another forum tried them in a 9.5 twist and they made round holes, so I’m thinking they’ll work.
Would be tempted to try the 190 grain 308 diameter Sub Xs as well.
Then kinda sorta order one😛
A stainless Grendel is probably sufficient for now!
Just got off the phone with brownells tech support. They said the new stainless minis have the hinged floorplate bottom metal.
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/01/24
Anyone got a coupon code for February? January code expired...
Originally Posted by Steelruger22
Just got off the phone with brownells tech support. They said the new stainless minis have the hinged floorplate bottom metal.
Yes. They are consistent. smile
But couldn’t send me a picture or tell me oal.

Hopeful here also.
Yes. They are consistent. smile
But couldn’t send me a picture or tell me oal.

Hopeful here also.

Yep, in my experience Brownells customer support has been top tier. Now I just need to find a stock. Stocky's needs to release more factory 2nds......
Posted By: AKduck Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/01/24
Ordered one. Been waiting a long time for a stainless mini.
Posted By: PA_Probe Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/02/24
I will believe this when I see it. I googled the part number for Howa and only got the Brownells website. Find it very unlikely that they would design a hinged bottom metal and only release it with the stainless model.

Stability calculator shows it working fine, Hornady says 9.5 works, and a poster on another forum tried them in a 9.5 twist and they made round holes, so I’m thinking they’ll work.
Would be tempted to try the 190 grain 308 diameter Sub Xs as well.
I'd still be surprised, particularly at subsonic velocities. I definitely would not screw my suppressor on until I was darned sure they were stable.

Midway has the 190 Sub-X in stock ($46/100), I waited months for them to come back in stock before I was able to order any (last fall), then they ran out again and it took a couple of more months for them to come back in stock. They recently got them back in. If it's something you're set on I would order them now.

I even wonder about the 190 Sub-X at subsonic velocities... While my 300 Blackout (Rem/AAC Model 7) has been incredibly accurate with supersonic Speer 150 gold dot blackout bullets and Barnes Tac-Tx 110 bullets, I've never got more than what I consider middling accuracy with the subsonic heavies. Maybe I just need to find the right load yet???

Jerry

Rem/AAC Model 7, supersonic 300 Blackout, 150 grain Speer gold dots, 3-shots @ 50 yards (my home range only goes out to 50 yards);
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/02/24
I will believe this when I see it. I googled the part number for Howa and only got the Brownells website. Find it very unlikely that they would design a hinged bottom metal and only release it with the stainless model.

I’m in agreement. All the AU sites show them with the traditional mini dbm. My guess is they are shipping straight from the distributor and no one at brownells has seen them.

Should know in a few days.
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/02/24
I gave in to temptation, guess I’ll have to sell the blued model I haven’t even had a chance to shoot yet…
Posted By: Remington280 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/02/24
What stock do you guys recommend or using?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/02/24

I’m in agreement. All the AU sites show them with the traditional mini dbm. My guess is they are shipping straight from the distributor and no one at brownells has seen them.

Nope. Tracking on my order shows it at a Fedex hub in Iowa, where Brownells is located.
Posted By: Stump Buster Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/02/24
Originally Posted by Remington280
What stock do you guys recommend or using?

Pendelton by Oregon Gunsmithing
Posted By: Ndbowhunter Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/02/24
Just fondled one at gun city in Christchurch New Zealand

Magazine version

So want this thing with a stockys vertic grip

Nope. Tracking on my order shows it at a Fedex hub in Iowa, where Brownells is located.

Yep. 🤷‍♂️
Posted By: POKERFACE6 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/02/24
Let us know when someone sees one in person to verify mag or hinged floor plate, thanks... Joe
Originally Posted by POKERFACE6
Let us know when someone sees one in person to verify mag or hinged floor plate, thanks... Joe

Tuesday.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/02/24

Mine should be delivered Saturday...but from noon today through end of the weekend I'll be hunting...unless THE ONE shows up earlier.

The 'fire should be one in spirit towards the goal of willing THE ONE to sacrifice himself to me this evening for the good of the forum, thus allowing me to pick up the rifle Saturday and report back here. I will selflessly take the task of accepting his sacrifice upon myself,...again...for the good of the 'fire.
Anyone live near the Brownell's store that could go take a look in person?
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/02/24

I have a couple of the blued metal Mini's, and have been mulling over whether I want one of the new stainless versions. Anyway, checked on Brownells site, and found out that my neighbor the gunsmith is listed as one the FFL's they ship to. Called him up and asked him if he would accept one for me, and he said yes, but after listening to me tell him why I wanted one, he said his understanding was that all the Howa Mini's, stainless and blued, had the same detachable magazine. Which would leave me to believe that the stainless version does not a factory bottom metal like the standard Howa 1500's do. I hope I'm wrong about that, and will wait until some of the posters here recieve their's and can confirm it.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Mine should be delivered Saturday...but from noon today through end of the weekend I'll be hunting...unless THE ONE shows up earlier.

The 'fire should be one in spirit towards the goal of willing THE ONE to sacrifice himself to me this evening for the good of the forum, thus allowing me to pick up the rifle Saturday and report back here. I will selflessly take the task of accepting his sacrifice upon myself,...again...for the good of the 'fire.
laugh

Pears and spirits sent!!!
That’s my guess as well, but we’ll have to see. It will determine what I do with the one I have.
I chatted with Brownells customer service and they couldn't give me a definitive answer, they said to contact Legacy Sports. So I emailed them this morning and they said to contact Brownell's!
Guess we will have to wait until someone opens a box to find out. Mine won't arrive at the FFL until Tuesday. The anticipation is killing me!

EDIT - Legacy Sports just emailed me back again and said that the image that Brownell's is using is incorrect. All Howa Mini's come with detachable magazine.
Posted By: POKERFACE6 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/02/24

"Willing THE ONE" to show up for you . Have fun and shoot straight... Joe
I chatted with Brownells customer service and they couldn't give me a definitive answer, they said to contact Legacy Sports. So I emailed them this morning and they said to contact Brownell's!
Guess we will have to wait until someone opens a box to find out. Mine won't arrive at the FFL until Tuesday. The anticipation is killing me!

EDIT - Legacy Sports just emailed me back again and said that the image that Brownell's is using is incorrect. All Howa Mini's come with detachable magazine.

Bummer … (as he picks up the phone and rings hokeypokeykid!)
As much as I'd like to own a Mini stainless, I'll not buy one with that awful azz plastic magazine setup. Howa puts a very nice stainless bottom metal on their full size rifle models, and there is absolutely no reason for not doing so on the Minis.
That will save me some money as I can give the old one and the new mag stuff to my son who has an extra stock and mag(s?) from the one I bought my grandson. He can pony up for the JO parts if he wants them; I’m on a fixed income…

If it comes with a floorplate, I’ll feel pressure to buy a stock etc etc for the old one and add it to the clutter.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
As much as I'd like to own a Mini stainless, I'll not buy one with that awful azz plastic magazine setup. Howa puts a very nice stainless bottom metal on their full size rifle models, and there is absolutely no reason for not doing so on the Minis.

Actually, it’s aluminum, but you make an excellent point. It doesn’t however, keep me from spending another $175 to get a rifle that suits me. That’s barely the cost of a night out.

Actually, it’s aluminum, but you make an excellent point. It doesn’t however, keep me from spending another $175 to get a rifle that suits me. That’s barely the cost of a night out.

20 bucks is a good night out for me.......I'm tight

Yeah, it's aluminum, but still is a lot better and nicer looking than that plastic crap on the Minis.

20 bucks is a good night out for me.......I'm tight

Yeah, it's aluminum, but still is a lot better and nicer looking than that plastic crap on the Minis.

When I buy one it’s with the intent of replacing it with something else, at least the guard anyway. The factory mags with one of the alloy guards might be okay for something that might be kept empty but need to be loaded quickly. They are at least commonly available. The CZ mags make for a slimmer and classier appearance, but are on borrowed time. I have three, probably enough, but might toss another one in my cart if I buy something else from the CZ store. They are very slim and tidy compared to the factory ones.

I only paid $359 for my original Grendel, so can’t fuss over the cost of a better mag, although a simple blind setup would’ve been fine. JO makes a guard for that too.

You think you’re cheap? We might eat out one night a year. Movies- never. Bars-ditto. We’ve both been some places, and don’t need to go back…..
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/03/24
I'd still be surprised, particularly at subsonic velocities. I definitely would not screw my suppressor on until I was darned sure they were stable.

Midway has the 190 Sub-X in stock ($46/100), I waited months for them to come back in stock before I was able to order any (last fall), then they ran out again and it took a couple of more months for them to come back in stock. They recently got them back in. If it's something you're set on I would order them now.

I even wonder about the 190 Sub-X at subsonic velocities... While my 300 Blackout (Rem/AAC Model 7) has been incredibly accurate with supersonic Speer 150 gold dot blackout bullets and Barnes Tac-Tx 110 bullets, I've never got more than what I consider middling accuracy with the subsonic heavies. Maybe I just need to find the right load yet???

Jerry

Good info, thanks! If a guy really had trouble with stability, the 170 SubX bullets for the 30-30 would certainly be an option.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/05/24
[:D

Pears and spirits sent!!!

"Willing THE ONE" to show up for you . Have fun and shoot straight... Joe

Appreciated! However, your pair of pears were fruitless... I still have Fri and Sat this so hope remains.
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/05/24
Just picked mine up, it’s standard detachable magazine…if that wasn’t already confirmed.
Posted By: kandpand Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/05/24

Detachable mag. No floor plate
Posted By: Steelruger22 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/05/24
Bummer about the lack of a proper floorplate. Fit and finish look good? I pick mine up on Wednesday.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/05/24
Oh well, kinda figured….

Mine will get the JO BDL and Pendelton stock from the one I have, the fate of which is as yet undetermined.
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/05/24
Initial impressions are very positive. Trigger is a little heavy but I’ll have that rectified in short order tonight with the clip of a spring coil. Only slight knock is the barrel is a little more shiny than the action, but not enough to be distracting. I dropped it in the Stockys second I already had here bedded for the blued barreled action and may need to touch of the bedding. JO blind magazine bottom metal feeds like it’s got eyes….I’ll be first in line for a .223 or 6 ARC when they show in stainless.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/05/24
22 ARC would have me spending money.
Posted By: POKERFACE6 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/05/24
I am holding out for .223. Mag still sucks though… Joe
Posted By: kandpand Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/05/24
I need a stock and bottom metal if anyone has an extra?
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/06/24
I just bought JO .223 bottom metal the other day just in case stainless .223/.350 legend ever come to fruition…haha
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/06/24
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
I just bought JO .223 bottom metal the other day just in case stainless .223/.350 legend ever come to fruition…haha

I like the way you think! 😂
Posted By: PA_Probe Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/06/24
For those that picked theirs up, is the barrel profile a sporter or heavy barrel? Hoping for sporter.
Posted By: kandpand Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/06/24
For those that picked theirs up, is the barrel profile a sporter or heavy barrel? Hoping for sporter.

Sporter
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/06/24
It’s definitely not heavy…Stockys carbon second JO bottom metal and a 14.5 oz scope in Talley UL mine is 5 lbs 13 oz
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/06/24
It’s definitely not heavy…Stockys carbon second JO bottom metal and a 14.5 oz scope in Talley UL mine is 5 lbs 13 oz

Nice place to be.
Posted By: stinkycoyote Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/06/24
Nobody got theirs yet or there would be pics. Right?
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/07/24
I can email or text them. I never relearned posting photos after the photobucket debacle…
Posted By: chris84 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/07/24
Originally Posted by stinkycoyote

There's a picture 10 or 12 posts up
Posted By: stinkycoyote Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/07/24
Originally Posted by chris84

Missed that, is there a pic or two without it being in a condom? May as well have taken a pic of the box.

So like I said, pretty sure no one has them yet or we’d have seen some pics. wink
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/07/24
Mine landed at my FFL yesterday so you might see a pic of it tomorrow after I swap over the lipstick from my blued one.
Posted By: PA_Probe Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/07/24

I picked mine up from the FFL yesterday. I did not take it out of the plastic yet. It definitely is the lightweight profile barrel on this, sticker says 20" LTWT.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/07/24
Originally Posted by chris84

Missed that, is there a pic or two without it being in a condom? May as well have taken a pic of the box.

So like I said, pretty sure no one has them yet or we’d have seen some pics. wink

What else did you need to see? The picture answered the question about magazine or not.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/07/24
So it's looking like these might be the lightweight profile and not the mediumish contour? Would be nice if someone could measure the muzzle diameter on their stainless to confirm.
Posted By: stinkycoyote Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/07/24
Or post some pics lol
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/07/24
I’m getting .57-.58 right in front of (behind?) the threading…but a machinist I am not
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/07/24
Look PDL* to me….

*Pretty Damn Light
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/07/24
Super cool these are the lightweight contour!
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/08/24
It looks to me, and seems to measure out, that it’s the same profile as the 22” sporter of the blued Grendel and arc I have here….looks to me like they just cut and threaded it 2” shorter.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/08/24
Huh. 0.67 seems awfully stout for the #1.
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/08/24
Tried it again with my “readers” on…..57-.58, sorry. Post above edited. Sorry fellas, it’s been a hell of a week!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/08/24
It surprises me that these are still in stock. Wonder how many they received?

Stick must be out with his saw. Can’t believe he hasn’t grabbed some, given his penchant for Minis and SS.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/08/24
Tried it again with my “readers” on…..57-.58, sorry. Post above edited. Sorry fellas, it’s been a hell of a week!
No problem, that’s good news on the lightweight contour, as far as I’m concerned. Hope the rest of your week goes smoothly!
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/08/24
Yep, it's the light contour. Put one in a VG Stocky's last night, stole the JO bm/parts from a 6 ARC, added Burris 2 piece base, stole a PMII 6x off another rifle, and mounted it in Ken Ferrell lows. I may need to swap the rings to Seekins lows to get a touch more height...not sure yet. The VG comb seems to be a bit higher than the Hunter. If I have time to get it sighted/check drops this evening it may get used Fri and Saturday for the last hunts of the season...time is tight though and I prefer to spend a little time shooting one before hunting it.

I'm still undecided on if I like the VG better than the Hunter stock. It's a tight VG and the action area is thicker than the Hunter. It's not like the VG is thick, just that the Stocky's mini Hunter stock is so slim through the action area....very nice to carry.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/08/24
No problem, that’s good news on the lightweight contour, as far as I’m concerned. Hope the rest of your week goes smoothly!

+1
Posted By: Steelruger22 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/08/24
Just a heads up, they are not listed as in stock on their website, but I was able to get a Mini Stocky's Carbon 2nds stock this morning by emailing them. They were superfast to respond and super friendly.
This just in…

Swapped into my Pendleton stock and JO BDL. Changed scope from Credo HX 1-6 in Leupold QRW rings on Warne bases to an Accupoint 3-9 in Warne MTs on a rail, brand forgotten. Went from 6# 13.8oz all up with sling to 6# 2.2oz. Shorter barrel, lighter scope and mounts equals -11.6oz. Not bad.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Steelruger22 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/08/24
That looks good!
Posted By: Direct_Drive Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/08/24
Nice !
How does it shoot ?
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/08/24
I really like Howa Mini's.........have 2, and I also really like stainless rifles, but the only way I can get get myself interested in a stainless Mini is if it came from the factory with a stainless or aluminum bottom metal that matched the rest of the rifle. Maybe someday Howa will wise up.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/08/24
JO V2 BDL bottoms are without peer. It makes zero fhuqks what the Factory attempts,as it is second fiddle. Hint……….
Posted By: Direct_Drive Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/08/24
I really like Howa Mini's.........have 2, and I also really like stainless rifles, but the only way I can get get myself interested in a stainless Mini is if it came from the factory with a stainless or aluminum bottom metal that matched the rest of the rifle. Maybe someday Howa will wise up.
That's a dream. They are happy to supply their plastic bottom "metal" .
Betcha Jefferson Outdoor would ship a bottom metal "in the white" or silver anodized, though.
Posted By: HokeyPokeyKid Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/08/24
Silver anodized bottom metal for the new stainless rifles is in the works.

You want a silver scope too so the entire ensemble matches? The barrel is no doubt a different SS alloy than the receiver (416R?), slightly different in color. Add another shade of silver for the floorplate, maybe nickeled rings for another, and the scope would be yet one more.

Maybe I should send the metal off for black nitriding, or have Bezos send me some Rustoleum……😜
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
Nice !
How does it shoot ?

Dunno yet. Just put it together this morning. Maybe tomorrow.
Posted By: PA_Probe Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/08/24
Just a heads up, they are not listed as in stock on their website, but I was able to get a Mini Stocky's Carbon 2nds stock this morning by emailing them. They were superfast to respond and super friendly.

I did the same thing. Around $325 shipped.
I prefer Wayne’s. Probably prefer it more after my carbon has seen some use in the field.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/12/24
I sighted in but didn't carry the stainless 6.5 G Fri/Sat. The Stocky's VG was contacting on the left side of the barrel and the horizontal stringing showed it when sighting it. Rushed so I didn't have time to sand for clearance, just decided to go with what I know is good. Will play with it a bit and see how it does. It is a nice setup, though I'd preferred the 22" barrel for balance. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/12/24
I have mine sitting in a chair in the tv room and pick it up now and then. Very pleased with the new configuration, much lighter and balances right at the floorplate hinge. Range tomorrow.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/12/24
Just ordered a stainless 6.5 barreled action. I just bought 2 new mini howas about a month ago in blue not realizing stainless barreled actions are available.

Now I need to sell the new 22" threaded shorter barreled 6.5 and 7.62x39 rifles I just bought. They're still in the box and came with ring base combos that look like Talley lightweights. I'm in them about $480 with shipping, tax, and gb and other fees and would sell them for $400 each so I can go stainless.

Bb
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/12/24
Took mine out this afternoon. Dialed it in with some loads in 3x Hornady brass, then fired five for the record with a book max 31.4gr of PP 2000-MR in new Starline brass. A little disappointed in the speed, over 200fps less than the Speer data at less than 2400fps, but such is life. Speer GD 120s.

[Linked Image]

Too bad about that high one…..
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/12/24
Are you saying that your handloads were 200 fps slower that factory loads?
Posted By: the444shooter Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/12/24
Were those shots exhibiting any sort of pressure signs?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/13/24
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Are you saying that your handloads were 200 fps slower that factory loads?

Nope, sorry. The Speer data from their website.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/13/24
Originally Posted by the444shooter

No.
Posted By: Stump Buster Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/13/24
Thanks for all the updates Pappy348. Good shooting and good pics.
Posted By: the444shooter Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/14/24

No.

I imagine you could squeeze more velocity out of that load then, if the numbers are disappointing. The accuracy sure isn't!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/14/24

No.

I imagine you could squeeze more velocity out of that load then, if the numbers are disappointing. The accuracy sure isn't!

Perhaps. Not a big deal as shots here are generally close. Another option is to go lighter with a 100gr TTSX since I’m trending towards lead-free. Most 120gr data tops out at around 2400, so that Speer combo is kind of an outlier.

Need to shoot some more groups to see if that one is typical. Might be a while since I’m trying to get some needful things done before knee surgery.
Posted By: kandpand Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/16/24
What scope mount/rings fit the best on the Mini action?
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/17/24

Both of the Howa Mini's that I bought came with what looks to be a Talley type of mount. I know that DNZ makes a similar kind, so it might be that. Anyway, it works very well. These rifles aren't chambered in heavy recoiling calibers, so I didn't feel the need to go with anything else.
Posted By: kandpand Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/17/24

Both of the Howa Mini's that I bought came with what looks to be a Talley type of mount. I know that DNZ makes a similar kind, so it might be that. Anyway, it works very well. These rifles aren't chambered in heavy recoiling calibers, so I didn't feel the need to go with anything else.

I bought the stainless barreled action and want scope mounts that will not hang over the ejection port.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/17/24

I bought the stainless barreled action and want scope mounts that will not hang over the ejection port.

The ones on mine do not.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/19/24
My grendel mini liked 8208xbr for a powder. I took 129 ablrs up to 2470 or so but my 10 year old at the time was recoil shy so I reduced it down until I hit a good node at about 100 fps less. It's a pretty mild load at 2370 fps or so but it shot several 1/2 moa groups with those 129s. We haven't put one in a deer yet but they worked on rabbits and a coyote at about 290.

I used 26.7g 8208xbr with a 450 and starline brass for that lighter 129 load. I took it up above 27.5 and then started getting pressure signs. I think my old load that shot incredibly well in my 18" ar bhw 3 groove was 123 amax over 28g of 8208xbr and those clocked 2500 fps from that 18" ar.

I've recently started working on some 100g ttsx and 108g scenar loads for my grendels and 8208xbr is showing good things there too. My stainless mini grendel is at the ffl now. When my new sig cross gets there in a few days I'll go pick them both up and get some new loads worked up.

I hope this stainless one shoots because I feel like I'm finally getting the exact one I want. Stainless, threaded, and with a 20" lighter weight barrel. Now if they'll bring in some stainless ARCs and a stainless 223 I'll get those too.

I hear the bdl mag boxes being made for them give the 223s some room to seat bullets out and they come 8 twist so they should do well with the stack of 80g eldms I need to burn up. My kids would love burning them up from a 223 too. Those of you running a 223 with the bdl mag box how are they working for you?

Bb
Posted By: PeeDeeRiver Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/19/24
We took my brother's new stainless out Saturday afternoon. Swapped it into his Pendelton stock/BM that his 22" blued was in. The dang thing felt so good that it has me seriously considering letting my Montana go and getting a couple of em. Shot about 50 rounds of 108 Scenars over Lever that he had been shooting in the blued on, and they were basically doing one hole at 100, after the first 4 shots. Bolt was super gritty at first, but was smoothing up nicely by the end.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/19/24
Originally Posted by PeeDeeRiver
We took my brother's new stainless out Saturday afternoon. Swapped it into his Pendelton stock/BM that his 22" blued was in. The dang thing felt so good that it has me seriously considering letting my Montana go and getting a couple of em. Shot about 50 rounds of 108 Scenars over Lever that he had been shooting in the blued on, and they were basically doing one hole at 100, after the first 4 shots. Bolt was super gritty at first, but was smoothing up nicely by the end.

I noticed the bolt on mine being a touch gritty, and also that it seemed to smooth up with the little time I've spent with it. It's leading me to think the action/bolt may be coated rather than stainless. I can't confirm that, just a feeling. I'd prefer the action be stainless but I care less about it than I do the barrel. Howa can be clear as mud on details regarding their specs/materials.

I'm catching up on farm chores that were put off during hunting season so I still haven't spent time much time with it but I'm anxious to. The Stocky's I put it in was touching the left side of the barrel pretty hard and it showed when sighting in with horizontal stringing. I'm very curious to see what it does when cleared.
Posted By: efw Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/19/24
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter
Make it a 223

.062 free ore

Give it a 2.45” mag box

8 twist I can suffer.

That’s what I was thinking sounds awesome
Posted By: djb Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/19/24
They are pretty gritty actions at first. I coated the bolt with some fine lapping compound and worked the bolt and also stoned the underside of the action rails. This helped a lot. Just be careful to not lap the bolt lugs where you could get a headspace issue.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/24/24
I picked up my stainless grendel barreled action the other day. Mine didn't have a magazine with it. The others I bought from brownells all had magazines with them.

Also the muzzle threading is different than what my blued one had. I don't know what threading the stainless is but it's not 1/2x28. It's about that diameter but has a coarser thread.

I'll have to call brownells and find out if it was supposed to come with a magazine. I plan to get the bottom metal that's bdl style but I have an mdt lss for it too that needs a magazine.

Did you guys who got the ss barreled actions get mags with yours? Do you know what the thread pitch is? I'm guessing it's a metric threading for the ausdies and kiwis.

Bb
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/25/24
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

Did you guys who got the ss barreled actions get mags with yours?

It was separate, in the bottom of the box the barreled action came in. If you left the box at the FFL you might want to have them check. Had to ask the FFL to look in the box while I was there when it wasn't with the barreled action.
Posted By: Direct_Drive Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/25/24
Yes, you should have one mag.
This is why I like the better FFL's that let the buyer open the box.
I paid for it, I open it.

Some customers in the Brownells reviews are reporting the muzzle thread pitch as 1/2-20.
If so, somebody fooked up.
Posted By: kandpand Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/25/24
My barreled action and mag came all wrapped together.

Posted By: stinkycoyote Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/25/24

No.

Howa’s have a rep at pretty tight bore and slow. All mine were slow, have had 3.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/25/24
I’ve yet to see that PP-2000MR load listed in an article or review, only the Speer online data, so have no basis for comparison. I think I have enough 100gr TTSXs to work up something a little snappier, or maybe I’ll try those 129gr ABLRs I have on the shelf. The Nosler data suggests they can be pushed as fast as the Speers are actually going.

No rush, it ain’t even March…….
Posted By: the444shooter Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/25/24
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
Yes, you should have one mag.
This is why I like the better FFL's that let the buyer open the box.
I paid for it, I open it.

Some customers in the Brownells reviews are reporting the muzzle thread pitch as 1/2-20.
If so, somebody fooked up.

All mine have come with 1 magazine. Where are you seeing 1/2-20 referenced? I know there was some incorrect labeling of 5/8x24 on sporter weights (actually 1/2x28, even on .30cal) but I didn’t see anything 1/2x20.

Side note, I’m fighting that thread pattern on a Voere .223 that I got, and trying to figure out if I should just get an adapter, or have it chopped and threaded.

Edit: I see the reviews you're referring to. That's very interesting.
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/25/24
My stainless isn’t 1/2-28….definitely a coarser thread.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/26/24
My barreled action and mag came all wrapped together.

Mine came wrapped like that but no mag under the plastic and no mag in the box it shipped in. I tooke a picture of it still plastic wrapped to the cardboard with no mag. The ffl is a friend who I've used several times before with no problems. He double checked everywhere and swears he never saw a mag with it. I watched him cut open the bottom of the box it came in and romove some shipping pepper stuck in the bottom. I was not there when he opened the top of the box to log it in but I watched him do a thorough sweep of the area where he does that.

I picked up a sig cross package from him the same day that had a 3-14 box scope and kilo 3k rangefinder and a mag and batteries and rings and all of that was there. I can't image that of all things he'd take a plastic mini mag. I guess I better call Brownells tomorrow.

I'm not real pleased with the threading issue either. My little kids wanted to be able to put a brake on their minis. That's why I sold my original ones and went for new ones. I have several 1/2-28 brakes that I thought I could use but nothing that fits this. The 20" lighter barrel does balance pretty nice but it'll still be good at 19" if I have it rethreaded. I was just hoping not to have to pay to have it cut and rethreaded. I could have done that to my original blued one I just sold that was a great shooter. Grass is always greener. I'll get it right eventually. I'm on a mission now and am still really happy to just see a stainless barrel on one.

Bb
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/26/24
I looked last night, adapter from 20 to 28 is only like 25 bucks…just need to confirm that’s what it is…
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/27/24
So these are kryloned or really ss?
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/27/24
I looked last night, adapter from 20 to 28 is only like 25 bucks…just need to confirm that’s what it is…

I just got a call out of the blue from Brownells. They said it was listed as 1/2x28 incorrectly. Should have been listed as 1/2x20. Offered a prepaid return label if it doesn't fit my needs. It's fine with me and I'm not returning it. I didn't ask about options for a different thread to see if any were available.

At any rate, some of you may get a call.
Posted By: HokeyPokeyKid Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/27/24
Why the change from the 1/2-28 standard, what is Howa thinking these days?

(actually it looks like 1/2-20 is the standard in Australia and NZ, so really these are made for those markets and imported here now)
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/27/24

I just got a call out of the blue from Brownells. They said it was listed as 1/2x28 incorrectly. Should have been listed as 1/2x20. Offered a prepaid return label if it doesn't fit my needs. It's fine with me and I'm not returning it. I didn't ask about options for a different thread to see if any were available.

At any rate, some of you may get a call.

Just did. Told the nice lady no thanks.

While I’m up….

https://hughesprecision.com/product...2-28tpi-od-thd-adapter-thread-converter/
Originally Posted by HokeyPokeyKid

(actually it looks like 1/2-20 is the standard in Australia and NZ, so really these are made for those markets and imported here now)

Yep!

I'd have preferred 1/2-28, but I'm still happy they brought stainless to us.
Posted By: kandpand Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/27/24

Yep!

Me too. I hope they bring other chamberings in stainless. .223, 6ARC ?
Posted By: beretzs Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/27/24

Yep!

Hope a 22 ARC is coming.
Posted By: POKERFACE6 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/27/24

Yep!

Hope a 22 ARC is coming.

When I emailed Brownell's asking about a .233 stainless they said "they have no plans at this time for a .233" , but you really never know .... Joe

When I emailed Brownell's asking about a .233 stainless they said "they have no plans at this time for a .233" , but you really never know .... Joe

They probably had no plans for 1/2-20 threading either....grin...

I was already thinking about one of the blued ones in .223 but have held off. Stainless would probably sucker me in.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/27/24
I called brownells yesterday to get the mag they forgot to ship to me. I told them about the issue with the threading. They then forwarded me to a manager that I spoke with about the threading. I told him it could be an inconvenience for some because the 1/2-20 isn't that common here but many people have suppressors or muzzle devices that are 1/2-28. I suggested that many will just live with it because we're all pretty excited to have a stainless option.

Then I mentioned to him a bit of my background in marketing and told him if it were me I'd call those that got the barreled actions and at least offer to return them or see if they can do something to make it right. I told him my instinct was that most would just keep them but would appreciate the offer.

He was wondering how they messed up on the threading so I mentioned that until now the stainless had only been available in New Zealand and Australia so maybe that's the thread spec they used there. I got a phone call this morning first thing with them offering to send me a call tag and return my money. I told them I'd just be keeping mine as is but thanks for the offer.

Bb
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/27/24
Why the change from the 1/2-28 standard, what is Howa thinking these days?

Might be an opportunity for someone to sell a nice smaller muzzle brake in stainless threaded 1/2-20 and or some thinner thread adaptors from 1/2-20 to 1/2-28.
It would be interesting to know how many of the barreled actions with 1/2-20 went out. I think brownells would tell a person how many of them they've sold. I'm guessing more guys will be interested in am adapter than a brake but my little kids love muzzle brakes because they don't like recoil. I personally hate brakes do to the noise but had planned to let my kids use one on the minis.

If mine had came at 22" I'd probably be wanting to cut it and retread it but I think it balances pretty well at 20". There's probably a 1/2 -20 brake out there so I'll have to look around.

Bb
Posted By: POKERFACE6 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/27/24

I was already thinking about one of the blued ones in .223 but have held off. Stainless would probably sucker me in.

Yes, I am holding out for now also… Joe
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/28/24
Seems like Legacy just cannot stop stepping on their dick with these minis...unfortunate.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/28/24
I called brownells yesterday to get the mag they forgot to ship to me. I told them about the issue with the threading. They then forwarded me to a manager that I spoke with about the threading. I told him it could be an inconvenience for some because the 1/2-20 isn't that common here but many people have suppressors or muzzle devices that are 1/2-28. I suggested that many will just live with it because we're all pretty excited to have a stainless option.

Then I mentioned to him a bit of my background in marketing and told him if it were me I'd call those that got the barreled actions and at least offer to return them or see if they can do something to make it right. I told him my instinct was that most would just keep them but would appreciate the offer.

He was wondering how they messed up on the threading so I mentioned that until now the stainless had only been available in New Zealand and Australia so maybe that's the thread spec they used there. I got a phone call this morning first thing with them offering to send me a call tag and return my money. I told them I'd just be keeping mine as is but thanks for the offer.

Bb
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/28/24
Probably reflects my Fudd/Boomer bias, but a Grendel isn’t what I consider a prime candidate for a can. I’d be just as happy with no threading at all.

I suppose now I have to pull out my Carbon Stalker .223 and see if the protector from the SS Grendel fits.

That might be a minor issue, as a .22 suppressor is on my maybe list, as I have several that came threaded.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/28/24
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Seems like Legacy just cannot stop stepping on their dick with these minis...unfortunate.

Yep. Despite that, the mini's are still sweet enough little rifles that we'll buy them and spend $ to make them what we want. With a Stocky's and HPK's bottom metal they are hard to beat for the $...even with the $ for the add-on's. I'm not sure if there is a slimmer, trimmer rifle for the mini based rounds...or any rounds.
Posted By: stinkycoyote Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/28/24

All Ruger has to do is rechamber that hawkeye hunter .204 to the x39 family and bring back the boat paddle stock option also and that would solve all this legacy howa nonsense.

And while sako 85 had the short xs action for .223 they too could make the be all end all on the x39 family with the new 90’s. A peak Grendel would be pretty sweet.

The first proper manufacturer of a .223 length stainless rifle in these will be a winner imo. Kimber would be another natural. I bet arcs would fly off the shelf.

The popularity seems to be there now. It’s just project gun until then.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/28/24

All Ruger has to do is rechamber that hawkeye hunter .204 to the x39 family and bring back the boat paddle stock option also and that would solve all this legacy howa nonsense.

And while sako 85 had the short xs action for .223 they too could make the be all end all on the x39 family with the new 90’s. A peak Grendel would be pretty sweet.

The first proper manufacturer of a .223 length stainless rifle in these will be a winner imo. Kimber would be another natural. I bet arcs would fly off the shelf.

Pass on the Ruger and Sako if they did happen. A Kimber would be a no brainer but won't hold my breath.

Will continue to piece together a mini the "right" way in the meantime.
Posted By: stinkycoyote Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/28/24

Pass on the Ruger and Sako if they did happen. A Kimber would be a no brainer but won't hold my breath.

Will continue to piece together a mini the "right" way in the meantime.

You have no choice lol.

These arc’s will help create the demand necessary.

And the new Hawkeye’s shoot and have out 70’d the 70. Fixed literally any [bleep] from older 77 variations. So a walnut and synthetic would be awesome. Find an older x39 boat paddle and barrel swap would be a decent one too but that’s needle in haystack. Modern options what we want, off the shelf.

Heck a browning off their .223 xbolt would raise my eyebrow and I’m not a browning guy at all.
Posted By: Yank Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/28/24
This is my Howa 1500 mini in .223. Put it in a Stocky’s carbon stock.

Attached picture IMG_0360.jpeg
Posted By: Yank Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/28/24
Don’t know how to make my pictures bigger
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/28/24
looks to me like you could reverse the rings and get some decent spacing......
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/29/24

Yep. Despite that, the mini's are still sweet enough little rifles that we'll buy them and spend $ to make them what we want. With a Stocky's and HPK's bottom metal they are hard to beat for the $...even with the $ for the add-on's. I'm not sure if there is a slimmer, trimmer rifle for the mini based rounds...or any rounds.

Yup. I have about $1100 in each of mine, the SS 6.5 and a factory Carbon Stalker .223, plus optics. Hard to find anything factory about 6lbs all-up for that, and what there is will be in a .308-sized action, not to scale. The other rifle I have about the same weight is my Fieldcraft that cost $1800 2017 pre-Biden bucks. It’s somewhat nicer, but I can’t really say it’s all that much better.
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 02/29/24
They seem to be gone from the website...wonder if they are updating the specs, or it was a one time run...
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 03/01/24
They seem to be gone from the website...wonder if they are updating the specs, or it was a one time run...

I spoke to someone at legacy and they said this was a one time run from one of their sister companies. I'm guessing that sister company is an international distributor. They said the only stainless they received were some barreled actions in 6.5 grendel and 7.62x39 and they all had 1/2x20 threads. He said once these are gone they're gone.

I asked if they had any future plans to do anything else mini in stainless and he said no because there is no demand. I said most of the people I know would prefer stainless. He said he has data from all over the US and Canada showing everyone wants blued and a very miniscule amount want stainless. I asked what the data was based on and he said sales. I asked if he thought more people bought blued because that was the only thing available. He said no people just dislike stainless rifles in general.

I guess I'm just an outlier in my strong preference for stainless rifles. I always prefer at least a stainless barrel when given an option. I find it hard to believe so many people don't like stainless. Is it just the color of it? If you nitride stainless so it's black would people like it then.

I think it would be interesting to do a conjoint analysis on hunting rifles to see what features and attributes people prefer. I know many people still want long barrels which I don't but other than that I thought I'd be pretty in line with most others. I also prefer faster twists but think the average buyer doesn't know the difference that's why they don't care.

Bb
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 03/01/24
I suspect most folks choose a rifle purely on price and stainless generally runs about $100 more for the same rifle.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 03/01/24

I spoke to someone at legacy and they said this was a one time run from one of their sister companies. I'm guessing that sister company is an international distributor. They said the only stainless they received were some barreled actions in 6.5 grendel and 7.62x39 and they all had 1/2x20 threads. He said once these are gone they're gone.

I asked if they had any future plans to do anything else mini in stainless and he said no because there is no demand. I said most of the people I know would prefer stainless. He said he has data from all over the US and Canada showing everyone wants blued and a very miniscule amount want stainless. I asked what the data was based on and he said sales. I asked if he thought more people bought blued because that was the only thing available. He said no people just dislike stainless rifles in general.

I guess I'm just an outlier in my strong preference for stainless rifles. I always prefer at least a stainless barrel when given an option. I find it hard to believe so many people don't like stainless. Is it just the color of it? If you nitride stainless so it's black would people like it then.

I think it would be interesting to do a conjoint analysis on hunting rifles to see what features and attributes people prefer. I know many people still want long barrels which I don't but other than that I thought I'd be pretty in line with most others. I also prefer faster twists but think the average buyer doesn't know the difference that's why they don't care.

Bb

I wonder what data they used to quantify better...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: stinkycoyote Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 03/01/24
So much to unpack lol.

I don’t believe their horseshit data at all, that’s why they can’t seem to get anything right is they have terrible sources lol. That answers that. Maybe read this thread legacy...idiots. Maybe spend a few minutes after that at 6.5 Grendel forum and see how often they are chewed on. Maybe see how well aftermarket is doing to fix all the retarded garbage they keep putting out lol. Man that is epic...’our data’....bwahaha...absolute retards. These clowns have never heard the phrase ‘do I right the first time’ and if they did...they aren’t clever enough to understand what it means. So we fools do it right the second and third times for them and the extra money fixing their garbage to ‘acceptable’ goes to the aftermarket. Barrel action and bolt are ok...wrong material until this batch of stainless but just ok....everything else junk.

See their data apparently won’t show them that their little stainless batch sold out in a week or two so they will lean back on their ‘other data’ and keep giving us crap we don’t want and have to triple the cost to make acceptable.

Legacy is a joke. Learn how to make a rifle if you’re gonna get in the rifle business. Learn what do it right the first time means. Hire someone that understands this please...lmfao.

Agree...on field craft vs howa with new everything as ‘better’ and how to define it. Not even in same ball park. Is group size your definition? There’s lightweight done right and there’s legacy lol. One feels quality and has fit finish and features. But even when done trying to get a howa there it still feels cheap as f.ck. There’s way more to it than just being light and shooting a decent group.

Lol, how many blue tikkas going out the door compared to stainless? You build mountain worthy weight rifles and that automatically puts you into stainless preference...such a basic concept keeps flying over their silly heads year after year. Yet they offer stainless in other small markets but the biggest gun market in the world they can’t seem to get it right...what idiots. Hire a real rifleman please and someone that understands the largest gun market in the world. Oh and learn the phrase do it right the first time...ask the new hires what that means.

Step 1 stainless
Step 2 single stage trigger
Step 3 knurled knob safety
Step 4 proper stock (mimic Pendleton)
Step 5 hinged floor plate option
Step 6 ar mag option
Step 6a metal bottom metal!
Step 7 double the price

We would come. Is it really that hard to figure this out???

If you don’t wanna inlet the bottom of action to fit ar mag then completely redo your mag set up to something that is sized according for 5 rounds. Your 5 round mag is the same size as an AR 10 round. Oh but North America the land of AR’s and you can’t math out what that would do for sales to offer the standard language mag here? Lmfao...’our data’ hahahaha.

Oh would that make it too expensive? You underestimate this market greatly. Keep building your cheap azz rifles then...if you did it right you could double the price easy and we would come. What you think guys pay for decent ar builds and how many do they have? Anyway...these idiots couldn’t be more out of touch if they tried.
Posted By: kandpand Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 03/01/24

Bb

I would rather have stainless and wished that I had purchased one in 7.62x39. If someone has an extra one, let me know.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 03/01/24
When I uses to do product development we'd try to figure out how much value the market would place on certain attributes and features so we could come up with the most perceived value for the money.

I was thinking about this in relation to these rifles and the ironic part is that many of the things that would make a rifle much more appealing wouldn't cost the manufacturer any more to produce than the compromises they're trying to push on us. It shouldn't cost manufacturers any extra to get barrel twists right and barrel lengths right for example.

Although length is more subjective sometimes they're off enough you know they missed most of the market. Like I was looking at a cz alpha 223 because they gave them a 7 twist. But they only come in 24" barrel lengths in the alpha. The lux has a 20" barrel but it's a 9 twist. Would make more sense the other way around because I'd more likely hunt bigger game with the lighter 20" wanting 7 twist there and varmints with a heavier 24" so 9 would be ok as a compromise but they should just do it 7 too.

I asked the guy at legacy if it would have been cheaper to just use stainless instead of material and labor cost for cerekote. He said cerekote was better for corrosion resistance and I said except you don't coat the bore and bore corrosion resistance is the main reason we want stainless in the first place. I told him nitriding was more appealing to me than cerekote.

To get some things right frome the start wouldn't cost any more. Like the twists, the mag box length, the stocks not being shaped like a hogue, a stiff forend, a soft recoil pad, a decent trigger, barrel lengths and contours that balance. Howa did ok on some of the twists on the minis. The 8 twist 223 is better than a 9 at least but they should have just went 7. All the companies still doing 9.5 twist 7 mags and 10 twist 243s just drive me nuts.

And why can everyone figure out how to make their short actions fit a 6.5 prc at 2.96 and not do that for all their other short actions. Many of them leave all their other short actions at 2.83 or so. And those that do 223 on their standard shorts block the mag box to limit length to about the same 2.26" you get from an AR mag. Not usually tough to fix but why not just block them a little looser giving you at least 2.5" or so.

One company told me their boxes are long enough for factory ammo and they see no reason to accommodate hand loaders. I said there's one reason, so hardliners will buy your rifles and be happy with them. I said your customers are not your enemies it wouldn't hurt to do them a solid once in a while especially when it costs you nothing extra.

It's like all the years I fought optic companies trying to get mil turrets with mil reticles instead of moa with mil. At some point you just realize that many in the industry don't know what they're doing enough to even know how to ask the right questions.

Does anyone here know steel material costs well enough to estimate about the difference between a block of blued steel vs a block of stainless large enough to machine an action out of? Or the difference in material cost between say 4150 bar stock and 416r stainless bar stock for making barrels?

I wonder what data legacy would get if they called barrel manufacturers like brux, bartlien, pacnor, hart, krieger, rock etc and asked them if their customers preferred stainless or blued steel barrels. I'm pretty convinced that most shooters that are into it more than just a weekend deer hunt every few years would all prefer stainless.

And the guys that just hunt once in a while but don't know much about guns wouldn't stop from buying a stainless rifle if the price wasn't much different and that's what was available. Some genuinely prefer the old blued walnut look but that's not the cheaper end of the market anyways. I wouldn't see a guy turning down say a stainless 700 sps because he really wanted the matte black unless he was a mall ninja going tacticool.

Bb
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 03/01/24
Not to derail the bashing of Legacy, but I contacted John1187 about making stainless thread adapters from 1/2-20 to 5/8-24, said it would be easy if folks would be interested in him doing a run. I've asked for 2, hit him up if you would be interested...
Posted By: Stump Buster Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 03/01/24
SC, hopefully someone at Legacy takes your post to heart.
lol I am slow learner and have many thousands into several builds thinking I'd get the warm and fuzzies...and I still have one of these abominations in my safe....so I'm allowed, I was in the game early on these things

but once I have it figured out...you'll know about it wink

end of day when you get in the howa mini game...you will be left wanting, doesn't matter how much you spend, because 'right' is out there and as soon as you put hands on right it's game over, you mind won't let it go lol, and for those that think they are great and accept that's great, maybe you haven't held or had 'right' so don't know the difference...my base ruger American grendel feels way better and of much higher quality and puts a smile on my face when I pick it up....my custom ultralight howa build in the stocky's p1sses me off when I pick it up, feels cheap, I wanna throw it out a window
Posted By: Seafire Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 03/01/24
If someone has an action, about any gunsmith can put a stainless barrel from an aftermarket source... do people forget that option?
not at all, at some point one gives up on the costs, that was where I finally drew the line, not another cent goes into a howa, my kids can pound this last one into oblivion
Posted By: Seafire Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 03/01/24
I've got two Howa minis, with sequential serial numbers. I bought them when Whitakers Guns was selling them for $300.00
Actually bought 3 of them, with one intended for a handicapped Marine Corps buddy, which I gave to him as a present, as he doesn't have a lot of money, and desired a 223 to hunt with.

I really haven't put any more money into them, than what I paid for them.. except for a scope and a set of rings for each one. Not the most accurate 223s I have, but they still get the job done on what I bought them for.

Guess I should count myself Lucky for not being one of those, that starts to throw a lot of money into something, that in the long run never really gets better. Ya solve one issue and another pops up always. The few rifles I've had, that I figured were basket cases, I sold them to a few gunsmith friends, with them wanting the action for a build for another customer.
I pretty much purchase firearms when the price is good, so each time I sold one, that could have been a money pit, I sold it for what I paid for it. Selling it to a gunsmith, was what I did instead of just dumping the gun to some other unsuspecting guy, to be a basket case for him. Guess few of us think that way... I just don't sell my problems to someone else and take the money and run... can't find any honor in that at all. but that is just me.
yup, cheap guns that shoot good, it's a segment

a lot of us see that barrel and action, true to size for cartridge length class, and we see much more potential, we keep asking for more, we keep trying to build it into it's potential...so for those of us that aren't looking for the cheap guns that shoot well....we will always be left wanting when it comes to these howa's, legacy and howa has been told repeatedly that they have a great piece of metal and they are surrounding it with complete garbage and that there's a market for a real rifle on that piece of steel....crickets, they have only put more lipstick on the pig and tried to pass it off as giving us what we want....it's not

potential is all you can get from them and for those of us who wish they could rise to that potential will be left wanting in the end

if they actually try again hopefully they bring in a couple key people who've handled all the proper manufactured rifles we talk about and use/prefer, tikka, Kimber, x-bolts, Hawkeye's, fieldcrafts, 700's even...spend sometime with the rifles that qualify as real rifles and then make your goals list and execute, the hard part is done, they have the action, even the barrel....just stop with carbon steel and give stainless, get your threads right and everything else, call it the signature line, raise the price, but build a real stock, real magazines, bottom metals, trigger/safety etc. Quit playing bottom of the barrel, sitting on a gem with potential and zero clue. Does it need to say vanguard on it? Well then facking do it! But don't forget to fix that 2-stage trigger and safety knob...don't miss any of the things I listed or you won't have done it right the first time.

ultimately the better option is one of the other manufacturers who knows how to build rifles recognize the x39 case and give us scaled actions in the materials we want and rifles built around them in the materials we want, it's a worthy case that is going nowhere but up, get on it boys...we want quality lightweight scaled stainless hunting rifles built around the x39 case...not just a bunch of budget rigs which is all we get now or larger actions blocked down to the stubby case...build true AR length actions scaled accordingly, no fat...we don't want the fat, we don't want the cheap materials, we don't want the bottom of barrel budget

not a chance legacy/howa understands any of that lol so why even bother trying to explain to them any of it, they can stick with 'their data' and stepping on their own d1cks as they have from day 1
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 03/01/24
Originally Posted by Seafire
If someone has an action, about any gunsmith can put a stainless barrel from an aftermarket source... do people forget that option?

Nope, but I don’t want to spend $600 or more and wait who knows how long if there’s another way.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 03/05/24

Keep in mind this is from the geniuses who brought us such great decisions as plastic bottom metal and dangly magazines on a mini action. It's almost like Remington's marketing people went over to Legacy Sports - maybe we'll see an Etronx Mini for their next trick. tired
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 03/05/24

Keep in mind this is from the geniuses who brought us such great decisions as plastic bottom metal and dangly magazines on a mini action. It's almost like Remington's marketing people went over to Legacy Sports - maybe we'll see an Etronx Mini for their next trick. tired

To be fair, the dangly mags date back to at least 1889, and even the much-loved CZ527 had them, excepting only the M3 version, .223 only. The plastic does suck, and has no place on an otherwise solid rifle. I’ve read that newer shooters prefer DMs over other options, and maybe that’s true, but they could’ve come up with something more robust. The guard really does look like something off a toy.

I was able to score a new stock for my recently liberated blued 6.5, and after assembling it tested it for function with some dummies. That plastic mag is noisy, not just cheesy.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 03/05/24

I asked if they had any future plans to do anything else mini in stainless and he said no because there is no demand.

So Brownells got a bunch of them; sold out quickly; and there is no demand?

Makes sense.

🤔
Posted By: beretzs Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 03/05/24

I asked if they had any future plans to do anything else mini in stainless and he said no because there is no demand.

Makes sense.

🤔

Crazy. Seems like they’d sell everyone they’d make.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 03/05/24
This old Boomer suspects that if they offered a SS Mini with a standard Howa hinged floorplate, they’d sell like hotcakes at $600 to maybe even $700.

Anyway, like my Fieldcraft, I’m glad I jumped right on this one. Now I just need some needy sort to answer my ad for the blued one……
Posted By: kandpand Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 03/05/24

Makes sense.

🤔

I would buy another if available. I do wish Legacy/Howa would offer a decent hinged floor plate or better yet a blind magazine version.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 03/05/24
This old Boomer suspects that if they offered a SS Mini with a standard Howa hinged floorplate, they’d sell like hotcakes at $600 to maybe even $700.

Anyway, like my Fieldcraft, I’m glad I jumped right on this one. Now I just need some needy sort to answer my ad for the blued one……

As much as I like stainless rifles, I passed on the new stainless Mini's from Brownells. My blued Grendel and 223 both shoot very good, and I'm keeping them for that reason. The Grendel has been fancied up with OG bottom metal and a Stockys carbon fiber stock. The 223 is just like it came from the factory. If Howa would market the Mini in a stainless with the hinged floorplate like the full size 1500's have, I'd be in the market for several different chamberings, even if I had to the replace that chunky stock.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 03/06/24
I just moved my aftermarket stuff over and at the same time swapped scopes and went to a rail for flexibility. Lost some weight along the way too. Once I sell the old one, the cost will be minimal. Who knows, maybe these SS one will command a premium someday if Legacy continues to insist no one wants SS.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 03/06/24
About four or so years ago I bought a new stainless Howa 1500 6.5 Creedmoor for less than $600. If Howa can manufacture the full size version for that price, they can most certainly make a Mini exactly as they do the regular size rifle, in the same price range. I believe in Howa's mind, they view the Mini as a rifle that the people using AR's want in a bolt action, and that means with a detachable magazine, and in calibers that are most seen in the AR's. If Howa would wake up and see the light, I believe they would see that what most people want in the Mini has nothing to do with a detachable plastic magazine. Of course, I also have little doubt that Howa will continue to make decisions that make little sense.
Posted By: weagle Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 03/06/24
Legacy makes decisions based on selling rifles which they do very well. Everyone would like to armchair QB what legacy should bring to market, but they have been in the business for a minute and they know the gun business is a fickle bitch. Gun companies come and go like the wind. I like the guns I have bought from them and they are affordable enough that I can run them stock or modify as I see fit. Stainless is cool, but I probably represent a majority of hunters / shooters who won't pay a premium for it as it has no practical advantage for my uses. I don't like the look and if I were concerned with rust I would rattle can it, which I would probably do to a stainless rifle anyway.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 03/06/24
Yeah those Howa Minis in American flag finish chassis stocks are just flying off the shelves. Marketing geniuses.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 03/06/24
Yeah those Howa Minis in American flag finish chassis stocks are just flying off the shelves. Marketing geniuses.

Flag finish aside, I don’t quite follow the logic behind turning a 5-6 pound rifle into a 7.5 pounder just to get a collapsing buttstock, but then I have to walk in to the places I hunt. I suppose they are stable.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 03/06/24
Yeah it's like they saw the success of the AR platform and tried to figure out how to apply it to products they already had in production. The adjustability of the AR style stock does make it handy for growing youth, but the point was missed that ARs are often pretty light. Like you mentioned, by the time that 7.5 lb Mini is scoped you're looking at a 9 lb+ setup, which isn't particularly kid friendly.
It's almost like the people making these decisions at Legacy Sports/Howa don't quite understand American culture. "All your base are belong to us."
Posted By: stinkycoyote Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 03/06/24

Makes sense.

🤔

Lmao, according to ‘their data’ that’s what it tells them. They get their data from Biden apparently.
Posted By: Stump Buster Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 03/07/24
All,

I just shared a couple emails with Jadon Williams over at Deer Creek Arms (in Wyoming). He told me he could thread his StealthBlast Sound Mitigation Device (SMD) ( https://deercreekarms.com/shopping/ols/products/stealthblast-smd ) to 1/2x20 for anyone who wants a direct thread muzzle brake/directional comp option. I'll be ordering one for my stainless mini when it comes in later this week. He asks if you are interested, please reach out to him at 307-227-8298 or via his website, so they can track interest/inquiries. Mention this is for the Howa 6.5Grendel Stainless Mini-Action. He has to order the tap, but says that's not a problem and he could likely have them ready in a few weeks.

Hope this helps anyone else out who's looking for a direct thread option.

Mike
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 03/11/24
Not to derail the bashing of Legacy, but I contacted John1187 about making stainless thread adapters from 1/2-20 to 5/8-24, said it would be easy if folks would be interested in him doing a run. I've asked for 2, hit him up if you would be interested...

John has a handful of the adapters in stainless ready to ship...I just got a couple. And I see the barreled actions are back on Brownells and labeled correctly now...
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 03/11/24

John has a handful of the adapters in stainless ready to ship...I just got a couple. And I see the barreled actions are back on Brownells and labeled correctly now...

Don’t see either in stock, but they are back on the website - show the dbm correctly also.
Posted By: Stump Buster Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 03/13/24
If there's anyone on the fence about contacting John1187... One of his adapters arrived today and it fits PERFECTLY.

Thank You Sir!
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 03/17/24
Agreed, I’m glad I bought an extra adapter, just picked up a 6.5 creedmore stainless, Grendel needed a big brother.
Posted By: HokeyPokeyKid Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 04/11/24
I have a small batch of matte silver hinged floorplates for the Howa mini stainless rifles. This is the first trial run to check out how the finish would turn out. They are bead blasted and anodized clear. If you want one they are available on my website jeffersonoutdoor.com

Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 04/11/24
I have a small batch of matte silver hinged floorplates for the Howa mini stainless rifles. This is the first trial run to check out how the finish would turn out. They are bead blasted and anodized clear. If you want one they are available on my website jeffersonoutdoor.com

That looks really good. Bet it will be a close match.
Posted By: dznnf7 Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 04/19/24

Got more on the way? I'm looking!
Posted By: HokeyPokeyKid Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 04/19/24
Originally Posted by dznnf7

Got more on the way? I'm looking!

I am working on more, I'm out of the magazine springs at the moment and I'm waiting for more from the manufacturer.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Howa Mini Stainless - 04/20/24
The 7.62 are back in stock; ~$470 with code RIFLE15.
© 24hourcampfire