Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16
B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by EIB0879
Like I told my stepfather a few years before he died, spend everything you want to and don't worry about the kids. I wish he would have followed my advice because I ended up as executor and had to be in the middle of a war with my siblings.

happens all the time......a lot of people live their life for the kids...and that's great....bob

GB1

B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Szumi
Anything heavily advertised is bad.

don't buy a car or anything then.....and certainly don't vote...bob

B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Dutch
I’d consider selling the house with a life estate provision. I’d not consider a reverse mortgage.
Interesting. Is there a market for houses with life estate provisions?

what is a life estate provision?...bob

A
ATC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My mother took out a reverse mortgage around 2002-2003 (house was paid off) and passed in 2017. If I remember correctly, she got around $425 a month for those 14 years. When she passed, she had received approx. $71K and the total owed was around $135K. Her house was sold for around $185K so my brother, sister and I split the remainder. Reverse mortgages are a useful tool that comes with high costs and interest. A realtor friend of mine who helped sell my mom's house said there are other options out there. You may want to talk to a financial advisor to see what else is available. Good luck.

Last edited by ATC; 02/02/24. Reason: additional info
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bob_mt
I’d consider selling the house with a life estate provision. I’d not consider a reverse mortgage.

It means you don't own your home, but do own the right to live in it for the remainder of your life, after which the remainderman gets control of it.

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by EIB0879
Like I told my stepfather a few years before he died, spend everything you want to and don't worry about the kids. I wish he would have followed my advice because I ended up as executor and had to be in the middle of a war with my siblings.
Wasn't the will clear on who gets what?

No. He didn't want to deal with confrontation. That's why he handed it off to me because I was the youngest, a CPA, and didn't take [bleep] from anyone, especially siblings and their spouses. It got ugly for a while but we all get along now.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Including medicare Part C.
Most heavily advert drugs are Last Ditch stuff.

:-)

B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by ATC
My mother took out a reverse mortgage around 2002-2003 (house was paid off) and passed in 2017. If I remember correctly, she got around $425 a month for those 14 years. When she passed, she had received approx. $71K and the total owed was around $135K. Her house was sold for around $185K so my brother, sister and I split the remainder. Reverse mortgages are a useful tool that comes with high costs and interest. A realtor friend of mine who helped sell my mom's house said there are other options out there. You may want to talk to a financial advisor to see what else is available. Good luck.

that doesn't sound like the great rip off some make it out to be......bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It means you don't own your home, but do own the right to live in it for the remainder of your life, after which the remainderman gets control of it.
That sounds like you sell the house but a condition of the sale is that you have a lifetime lease to live there at no extra charge. But the devil would be in the ''fine print''. Read carefully. There will be conditions under which the lease would cancel.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Hastings

That sounds like you sell the house but a condition of the sale is that you have a lifetime lease to live there at no extra charge. But the devil would be in the ''fine print''. Read carefully. There will be conditions under which the lease would cancel.

who would buy a house under those conditions?...and you still have to pay taxes, ins etc from what I read...bob

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

who would buy a house under those conditions?...and you still have to pay taxes, ins etc from what I read...bob

It’s a very old mechanism to pass property on to a buyer - most often an heir.

It takes the asset out of your name, which may have consequences for tax purposes as well as qualification for certain government programs (I.e. nursing home care).

A common scenario is that pops kicks the bucket, and mom’s only asset is the house on the farm. A kid buys the farm and works it, and mom gets to live in the house for as long as she wants with enough funds to retain some independence and dignity.

From the buyer’s perspective, if the property is something a relative, neighbor, business associate, etc wants (I.e. is waiting for it to come on the market), then they can lock it up by buying it with a life estate provision.

As far as maintenance, taxes, etc, that is to be spelled out in the contract, but the seller / tenant no longer owns the property.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Jet’s pizza is pretty good. Life is short… 🫤

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Yeah...kids still aren't entitled to anything.

So if you want to live a modest lifestyle so your kids can spend it all lavishly....go ahead.

I am sure they will remember you fondly when the auction comes and they finish hauling all your shìt to the dumps.

Says the guy who frequently uses his kids to pander for free stuff.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Investors, REIT, etc

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Buford_T_Justice

So if you want to live a modest lifestyle so your kids can spend it all lavishly....go ahead.

I am sure they will remember you fondly when the auction comes and they finish hauling all your shìt to the dumps.

[bleep] off. Jim's good people.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Originally Posted by Buford_T_Justice

[bleep] off. Jim's good people.

What did you send? Scopes or ammo?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

I know a guy who bought a farm like this. It finally worked out well for him, but I believe the old lady lived to be 114.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
As always... the details of any asset liquidation matter.

"The individual" and/or individual wealth (the ability to hold assets) if diminishing daily.

As time progresses... "the many" will relinquish their assets (by choice or force) to "the few"...

The shackles americans place upon their own wrists daily... leaves me dumbfounded.

*anyone notice how "the few" happens to rhyme with "the jew"?

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
"I'll Gladly Pay You Tuesday For A Hamburger Today"

J. Wellington Wimpy

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

I would have thought you are raising your kids differently.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (badwolf, BDR1, batch, BB3, 7mm_Loco, 9 invisible), 1,458 guests, and 879 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,056
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.