Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
For some time I've used a medium weight camera tripod with a yoke(?Stoney Creek) to support my rifle in the popup blind. While sufficient to provide a steadier hold when shooting, rifles do not tend to stay on the yoke and tend to tip stock down/barrel up if not held all the time.

I decided to upgrade with a heavier tripod and, although I have professional heavy tripods for spotting scopes, decided to try an alternative to the yoke support.

Enter the Bog Deathgrip. However, the panning movement is choppy, feeling like a bad ball bearing as the head rotates. Wondering if anyone else has had the same issue and came up with a fix. Bog sent a replacement pan head but it has the same disease.

Thanks
Bill

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought one for my son. He used it for deer season this fall. It felt smooth as far as I could tell, but we only used it for -100 yards. Overall, it say it was a good purchase.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The wife uses one, its the carbon model rock solid, but if I had to do it over a
gain I get a lighter aluminum legged model for the weight

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They can be a little sticky in panning. I have mine lined with a little lithium grease which helped. Still debating doing a ball head retrofit on it

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Got a bad knee, so weight is a consideration. Bought trekking poles a year ago to help me along. Saw someone here, maybe Don, talk about Quick-Stix, that convert your poles into a bipod rest, and add almost no weight. Quick to engage and undo. I hunted all deer season from a 20” tripod stool and the Quick-Stix held the forend of my rifle with the butt in my lap. Maybe not the best for blind use, but beats lugging 7-8lbs around over hill and dale, which is how I hunt.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have the Death Grip. I replaced the top with an Arca ball top from Zero Fox given. The whole rig was somewhat 'spensive, but it sure is rock solid. Glad I did it.

https://zerofoxgivenllc.com/products/bog-deathgrip-ballhead-conversion?variant=43877936267518

Also bought an extra ball turret for permanent mount in my blind.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/url][/img]

Last edited by Reloder28; 02/06/24.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have one that I purchased recently with the ball head. Pans easily. Have only shot with it a few times so far but seems solid. I bought it for predator calling.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by duckster
I have one that I purchased recently with the ball head. Pans easily. Have only shot with it a few times so far but seems solid. I bought it for predator calling.

Have a link? Didn't know they could be had with a ball head

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

Have a link? Didn't know they could be had with a ball head

I purchased it at Cabelas during a after Christmas sale. I think I still have the box with the exact model/label on it. I will check after work.

K
K
Looked at the Cabela's Christmas sale. Too many special edition type options when I looked at their whole line.Hard to figure out what was a good deal. Really good tripods seem to cost more than I am willing to pay.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I guess mine is technically a BOG Deathgrip Infinite

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess mine is technically a BOG Deathgrip Infinite

Thank you

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

S
S
Check out the Tripod options at Night Goggles, much higher quality products and price point selections close to the BOG Death Grip.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,830
Posts18,477,961
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.