Hop To
Page 16 of 16 1 2 14 15 16
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
My wife is planning on taking a CNA class so to be better prepared to tend to my folks if need be.

Good deal. I assume her folks are in NZ with proper socialized (don't mean it in a bad way) care?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB4

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by EdM
My wife is planning on taking a CNA class so to be better prepared to tend to my folks if need be.

Good deal. I assume her folks are in NZ with proper socialized (don't mean it in a bad way) care?
You cold blooded Yankee

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by EdM

Her dad is still living.

I just asked her and she said the system is kind of like over here.

You pay until you can't type of thing. She said her dad will end up paying for all of his own care.

I had assumed that it would have covered by the socialized health care system. I was wrong!

I am MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Mail order bride? You devil

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by JakeM78
Living longer = more money for the 'medical' profession. I have no idea why people want to live until there are no more parts left.

I'll walk off into the woods and end it before I'd destroy my family financially.

I have always told my wife if I got sick....like real sick...no way I would run us broke. I will tap out on my terms.

that is one thing in this life that you can control......bob

IC B2

B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Originally Posted by Fubarski
They must shove some half dead folks into nursing homes

That's what they's for.
Must be . I’d never force my next of kin into one of those schidt holes

Hopin ya never even hafta consider it.

People get nursing homes conflated with retirement homes.

When a patient has reached a stage where there is no treatment that will reverse the person's condition, there's no reason for them to be in a hospital.

When a person reaches that stage, there isn't a lot of life remaining for that person.

Nursing homes provide the same nursing the patient would get in the hospital, but in a less expensive setting.

The possibility of a lengthy NH stay is overstated.

No, I won’t have to. It’s been settled.

how has it been settled?...bob

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
This guy thinks they're a good idea.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I do like country ham.

No one else in the house does though.
Same here. That just means there's more left overs.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Their normally good for the lenders if the home occupants pass within a few years. I have 38 acres that surrounds a five acre tract with a 6,000 ft home with a reverse on it. The old couple took out a reverse on the home two years after it was built. After thirty years the husband passed the wife in her 90,s went into a nursing home. The pay off to the lender is near $800,000. House likely worth $300,00+ as needs a lot of work. Apparently it worked for them due to length of time they were able to draw monthly on the loan.

The house has sit empty for eighteen months and the government loan agency will not discuss the sale of it with me. They pay a caretaker to check on it and mow the lawn. Our Government as usual doing its poorest. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bob_mt
Originally Posted by COLORADO_LUCKYDOG
cfran ..... in short....been to africa 1 time...going again in 25 . not cheap trips at all, think elephant etc. looking at spain , argentina.

those kind of trips are exspensive.....I am retired. so after those trips that's it.....an rm would expand my travel that's it.

or I can die with a paid off house .....cant take it with you....everyone's opinions on this are appreciated......bob

You don't have any children or grand children to leave it to?

...this is the time for my wife and me.....let them work hard, didn't kill me.....bob

A bit of an aside here. I was at my wife's parent' house about a year ago. Her mother said "I want to talk to you about something and have a question." She said a few more things and then asked if I'd rather them leave us money or would I rather they spend the money on vacations that would sometimes include us. Without hesitation I told them to burn through it however they want to. I had roughly the same conversation with my mother over a decade ago.

You are 100% correct. This is the time for you and your wife.

IC B3

B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by COLORADO_LUCKYDOG
cfran ..... in short....been to africa 1 time...going again in 25 . not cheap trips at all, think elephant etc. looking at spain , argentina.

those kind of trips are exspensive.....I am retired. so after those trips that's it.....an rm would expand my travel that's it.

or I can die with a paid off house .....cant take it with you....everyone's opinions on this are appreciated......bob

You don't have any children or grand children to leave it to?

...this is the time for my wife and me.....let them work hard, didn't kill me.....bob

A bit of an aside here. I was at my wife's parent' house about a year ago. Her mother said "I want to talk to you about something and have a question." She said a few more things and then asked if I'd rather them leave us money or would I rather they spend the money on vacations that would sometimes include us. Without hesitation I told them to burn through it however they want to. I had roughly the same conversation with my mother over a decade ago.

You are 100% correct. This is the time for you and your wife.

you said the right thing....the idea that you have to leave something is wrong.....bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is absolutely nothing wrong with leaving a legacy. Either in works, ideas, morals or money: I believe all of us should shuffle off this mortal coil leaving something to make it better.

Personally, the difference between having enough to live well in retirement and use it all up and living well in retirement and leaving more than I started with is a comparatively small amount of money.

Let me put some numbers to that.

Let’s say you start retirement with $500,000 in your retirement account, and let’s assume you invest in a diverse stock portfolio, like a total stock market index fund. Let’s also assume you and your spouse draw 25K a year in social security.

If we draw 80% of the net (of inflation) returns off the portfolio a year, that’s an average of roughly 7%, or $35,000.
If we do that, our principal will never be depleted, even accounting for inflation, and we can live on the returns forever. And leave a financial legacy. To kids, grandkids, the local dog shelter, a scholarship fund for a gunsmithing school; whatever you think will leave the world a better place.

If we put that same $500K in a joint life annuity type arrangement (I refuse to call it an investment, because it isn’t) at age 67, you get……..roughly $35,000 a year until you die, and you leave nothing. Oh, but that $35K you get out of that “safe” annuity…. is NOT indexed to inflation, so when you’re 87, it’ll go at most half as far as it does today.

Either way, you have $60K of disposable income per year.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Page 16 of 16 1 2 14 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

468 members (1Longbow, 204guy, 17CalFan, 160user, 1_deuce, 219DW, 55 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,987
Posts18,481,033
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.