Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
I'd like to know what is in that Ostermayer product. It sounds like just a tung oil type stuff. Which can be gotten a lot cheaper.

The properties are not listed. It does state in general what the product 'does not' have and a few vague ingredients: "terpenes" and "lignin", whatever those are. Actually, the oil/finish smells like shoe polish, turpentine, and fragrant pine.

The Only Things I Could See:

https://ostermayer-jagd.com/products/waffenpflege-schaftoel?logged_in_customer_id=&lang=en

* I may have spoken incorrectly here: #17830131. Knowing not the properties nor its usage, I stated the Ostermayer supersedes (surpasses) Tung Oil by a mile. In this respect, my words were incorrect.

Supplement:

I believe that the reviews of Ostermayer JAGD on Amazon are fake/fictitious for ‘Amazon’ is fulfilling the product. Naturally, Amazon does not wish to have negative reviews on something they’re “fulfilling”. I posted my initial review to Amazon, as the 'review' did not post to Amazon nor did Amazon notify me that the review “was not posted”: according to their policy. I believe the content of the Ostermayer Jagd smelling like shoe polish, turpentine, and fragrant pine were a flag to them. As stated earlier, I posted a second review which Amazon allegedly accepted, yet did not inform me that the review was posted. Anytime a positive review is posted, Amazon always notifies the person writing the review. This is commonplace with Amazon as I have been conducting business with them for at least ten years. *Again, as Amazon accepted my second review, they have lowered the price of Ostermayer JAGD to $2.00.

Last edited by Synoptic; 11/27/22.

Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For someone just looking to spruce up their stock a bit, the Gunslick wax works well. Safe for wood and metal. I rub some on my Citori now and then after shooting clays. That’s oil finished and sweaty hands take a toll. Spiffs it right up.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Pappy348
For someone just looking to spruce up their stock a bit, the Gunslick wax works well. Safe for wood and metal. I rub some on my Citori now and then after shooting clays. That’s oil finished and sweaty hands take a toll. Spiffs it right up.

I've heard of it. I was looking for a wood preservative. It makes no mention of wood, yet appears to be impressive. I use Breakfree 'Collector' on all my metal. Is this the suff you're speaking of (Pic Inserted) ? By the way, who's the girl in your avatar, quite stunning.

https://www.bereli.com/gunslick-ultra-lube-gun-oil-2-25-ounce-85002/

* I just ordered some from Amazon for GP. Intentions are to try on metal. There is no mention of wood, none at all. I paid $5.59 for 2.5 ou.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Synoptic; 11/27/22.

Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I use Ballistol gun oil on everything.Steel to bare or coated wood.Can be used as a bore cleaner or The Krauts claimed it to be good for stomach problems.Velvet wood oil is probably about the best oil I have ever used for touching up stocks or finishing bare wood.I have used Tung oil,Danish oil,boiled lindseed oil and nothing touches Velvet.

Last edited by Huntz; 12/01/22.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Old post...

I have been using this for a couple years.
Mostly on other things besides gun stocks. Like hammer and hatchet handles and its holding up really well.

Couple days ago I began a re contour and finish on a Boyds laminated stock.

Im liking the color and oil like finish. Im currently @ 6 coats with no build up. (Coats @ about 6 hours ea)

Previously I needed to allow days for finish to set. O thats what Im at here Im gonna allow this to set now for a goodly time. (Week or so) then come back with OOOO Wool then tack cloth and final coat and see how it looks. So far Im pleased.

CW

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,628 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,817
Posts18,477,674
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.