Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Hard to tell, but, @ ~:44 sec it looks like Mbogo’s head is turned back towards the guy he just tossed. Could be because the guy dragged his foot through the curl of the horns, or it could be because Mbogo had designs on further contact with the involuntary rider.

I’ve never been to Africa nor hunted anything truly dangerous (I don’t count Black bears in dangerous game). But, it seems like if Mbogo turns and starts to stomp or continue to toss the rider it just gets hairier for the shooters.

Last edited by horse1; 02/13/24.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
GB1

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
From all of the responses, it looks like cumuglia was voted off the island. LOL

There was a video of a PH making a follow up shot on a lion. He called it just before it happened. “The lion is going to single one person out. Is who he will go after” something to that effect. Dammed if it did t happen that way. Lion fell at his feet when he brained him at about 10 yards. Big balls on that guy also.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lol The guy flying over the Buffalo has the same look on every screenshot you lucky one riding one of them points,,, you'd have a different look

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rainshot
Just watching a short clip it's hard to get an idea on what actually took place to put the man and bull together intimately. I can only guess that the guy on the bull had the first chance and missed or choked. In thick brush like that it could've just been a bull that was not seen by anyone until it charged. It's hard to tell but I'm certain the man that was tossed is happily thankful for the outcome. I hope he wasn't hurt too awfully bad in the encounter. Just a wild guess but the shooter might've been the guide. one thing we can be sure of; they didn't use the man as bait.
There were two shooters. Watch it again. Its easy as heck to see the guy on the left shoots. Then the PH and then the PH again as a double into the body. Heck the PH may have fired twice the first time, I didn't watch it that closely.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Like Ruark said “He looked at me like I owed him money.”

My first ever stalk of Cape buffalo put us in dense heavy cover with buff all around us. I had a .416 Rigby, one PH had a 470NE, the other a 458 Lott, and there was also a 300wsm. We were severely, severely under gunned. It didn’t take long to realize we were in a situation we couldn’t control. Trying to get your heart rate to slow when you see only horns and feet 15-20 yards from you, and realizing that if there is a charge, your probably screwed, was the rush of a lifetime. We backed out, but those few minutes will forever be with me. Buffalo hunting gets in your blood, and you can’t just do it once. Luckily, the two buff we killed were pretty much non events.

Last edited by jetjockey; 02/13/24.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jetjockey

My first ever stalk of a Cape buffalo put us in dense heavy cover with buff all around us. I had a .416 Rigby, one PH had a 470NE, the other a 458 Lott, and there was also a 300wsm. We were severely, severely under gunned. It didn’t take long to realize we were in a situation we couldn’t control. Trying to get your heart rate to slow when you see only horns and feet 15-20 yards from you, and realizing that if there is a charge, your probably screwed, was the rush of a lifetime. We backed out, but those few minutes will forever be with me. Buffalo hunting gets in your blood, and you can’t just do it once. Luckily, the two buff we killed were pretty much non events.
If you think you were undergunned I'd like to know what you think you needed. 15-20 yards is a long way. The last animal I had to deal with was a brown bear in a bed at about 25 feet. I was in a tunnel and could not stand. But I did prevent the bear from completely getting up and pressing the charge. 458 is more than enough. You only need to be in the conscious mind correctly as it happens.

Last edited by rost495; 02/13/24. Reason: edit to an autocorrect

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Love all the mamby pamby range officer safety comments. Good shooting in that situation.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I was riding that bull, neither of the shooters would ever have to pay for another drink!

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by rost495

My first ever stalk of a Cape buffalo put us in dense heavy cover with buff all around us. I had a .416 Rigby, one PH had a 470NE, the other a 458 Lott, and there was also a 300wsm. We were severely, severely under gunned. It didn’t take long to realize we were in a situation we couldn’t control. Trying to get your heart rate to slow when you see only horns and feet 15-20 yards from you, and realizing that if there is a charge, your probably screwed, was the rush of a lifetime. We backed out, but those few minutes will forever be with me. Buffalo hunting gets in your blood, and you can’t just do it once. Luckily, the two buff we killed were pretty much non events.
If you think you were underpinned I'd like to know what you think you needed. 15-20 yards is a long way. The last animal I had to deal with was a brown bear in a bed at about 25 feet. I was in a tunnel and could not stand. But I did prevent the bear from completely getting up and pressing the charge. 458 is more than enough. You only need to be in the conscious mind correctly as it happens.

There’s a big difference between 1 bear and 50+ Buffalo. Another 20 470’s would have been a good start! 🤣

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Roger that. Bomar..

Last edited by rainshot; 02/13/24.
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Brokenarrow
Originally Posted by reivertom
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Pathetic shooting with a human in the line of fire

If I was at the mercy of a Bull Cape Buffalo, he can shoot my direction anytime he needs to. Those bulls can turn on a dime and pound you into a puddle. No doubt he saved that guy's skin.

Reminds me of a Jerry Clowers story, "Just just shoot up in here amongst us, one of us gots to have some relief !! "
Knock him out John!

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I think both shooters did just fine.

People that have not btdt don't realize how slowly and crystal clear all of this happens. The "rider" was totally clear on both shots. Except for any weird deflection after hitting the bull or a limb. And in that instance thats close enough for me.

Well done.

You're right, Jeff. In many serious situations some people are so intensely focused it seems to them that everything is moving in slow motion and even seems like they themselves are moving in slow motion while trying to respond faster.

Shooter was totally focused on and in control of his actions.

As you know, there are those who are Cool Hand Luke's in serious situations, such as many who are first responders, EMTs, firemen, emergency room personnel, service men clearing buildings of enemy combatants and cops entering premises after dangerous people.

Ha, like you were when facing that Brownie.

On occasion, Time stands still.

Last edited by jaguartx; 02/13/24.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would hate to be in that situation but I would hope if I was I would be cool enough to pull off a shot like that. I hope they had a short break after all that excitement so they could clean out their shorts and reload... I bet the adrenaline load didn't end until they got off the plane at home... After watching the video again I'm pretty sure the two guys shooting were both PH's by their accents and cool temperament after the shooting gallery calmed down...

After meeting a guy at a get together at my taxidermist's home who had been stomped and gored several times by a big Cape buffalo I am quite aware of how fast things can go south. If not for a brave tracker who picked up his rifle and killed the buff on the third charge through the bush and the miracle of having an emergency room doctor in camp who saved his life he would have been African soil enrichment ...

Last edited by Sheister; 02/13/24.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Human life was on the line. Your an idiot.

Pathetic shooting with a human in the line of fire

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

If you think you were underpinned I'd like to know what you think you needed. 15-20 yards is a long way. The last animal I had to deal with was a brown bear in a bed at about 25 feet. I was in a tunnel and could not stand. But I did prevent the bear from completely getting up and pressing the charge. 458 is more than enough. You only need to be in the conscious mind correctly as it happens.

There’s a big difference between 1 bear and 50+ Buffalo. Another 20 470’s would have been a good start! 🤣
lmao. Bears come more than one. But not 50. Sounds like you faired just fine is the point. So you were not undergunned. Only accidentally in a bad place. Had a bear mostly inside the tent with me last fall, unplanned gets you into a really hard mindset in the middle of the night in your sleep. Things are really clear, in focus and in slow motion.

I don't know buff. But I would hope not all 50 would charge. Gotta be really sweet to be that close. Its one of 2 animals I have any desire of in Africa and it would have to be with a bow for me.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jaguartx
I think both shooters did just fine.

People that have not btdt don't realize how slowly and crystal clear all of this happens. The "rider" was totally clear on both shots. Except for any weird deflection after hitting the bull or a limb. And in that instance thats close enough for me.

Well done.

You're right, Jeff. In many serious situations some people are so intensely focused it seems to them that everything is moving in slow motion and even seems like they themselves are moving in slow motion while trying to respond faster.

Shooter was totally focused on and in control of his actions.

As you know, there are those who are Cool Hand Luke's in serious situations, such as many who are first responders, EMTs, firemen, emergency room personnel, service men clearing buildings of enemy combatants and cops entering premises after dangerous people.

Ha, like you were when facing that Brownie.

On occasion, Time stands still.
OTOH after its all said and done there can be time for sit down before you fall over and change your drawers LOL

I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Holy chit. Shame he couldn't hang on for 8 seconds

Haha

Black Cows Matter!
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Irving_D
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

🤣🤣

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 222ND, 52 invisible), 2,574 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,582
Posts18,473,355
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.