Home
I hope there's a more detailed video out there. This is insane. Crazy shooting
The back story as received from reliable
PRODUCTIONS
sources;
"It was shot with a bow. Myself, PH/Outfitter and the client walked on the tracks for a few kms, good blood but we didn't find a dead buff. Called in the vehicle so the client can switch from bow to rifle. We backtracked about 100 meters to have a buffer between us and last spot of blood. Landowner and manager arrived with dogs, although PH told them not to go in before we are ready with the guns, they just walked off to see of dogs can get blood. 30 seconds later they came back at speed, buffalo circled around and was much ser than the 100 meters we cleared. PH couldn't take a shot because of the manager in the way, him and me circled around to let the guy pass and get a side-on shot on the buffalo. Guy got thrown, client took a shot while guy was in the air, rest is all clear on the video."
Add a reply...
@AfricanSunProductions

Pathetic shooting with a human in the line of fire
Da hell?........Nerp, i'm good.
It's a miracle he didn't hit the dude flying through the air.
PJ
Holy chit. Shame he couldn't hang on for 8 seconds
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

Pathetic that you don’t realize that they likely saved the tossee’s life by shooting when they did. That bull would have ground him into jelly.

Remember that the view from the camera is often very different from the shooter’s view.

It is likely that you never had to make a shoot/don’t shoot decision where other people’s lives factored into the decision. I was in a situation where I had to not only worry about the shot, but the physical safety of dozens of citizens. The stress is unreal and I hope to never be in a similar situation again.
Originally Posted by Troutnut

Lol.
I would never hunt with that shooter....

EVER

As for the guy getting tossed? Why didn't he have a gun?

If I was at the mercy of an angry Cape Buffalo, he can shoot my direction anytime he needs to. Those bulls can turn on a dime and pound you into a puddle. No doubt he saved that guy's skin.
Originally Posted by PJGunner
PJ
Aimed just under him as he was lifted up.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by PJGunner
PJ
Aimed just under him as he was lifted up.

Looks like it was the feller on the left, just outside the frame that fired first(assuming he was the client), the big boy in front didn't fire until the bull rider was clear.
The one to the left had a different vantage point and probably a clear shot considering the range, from what I understand those animals are pretty dam wide. I hope a valuable lesson was learned by both the manager/landowner. If the original post is true, they went ahead when they were told not to. That situation could of turned out completely different.
If I’m in that situation and I’m facing certain death by getting trampled and gored by a wounded Cape Buffalo or my “buddy” makes a lifesaving shot with me down range, a shot which violates 1 of the Boy Scouts Ten Commandments of firearm safety, I’d want my “buddy” sending ACCURATE rounds on target.

There are times when despite doing everything right where everything goes wrong. It’s times like these that separate the wheat from the chaff….the “rules” go out the window and one’s primal instincts to survive kick in.

The shooter in the video was obviously in a very high stress, life threatening situation which is when our “Fight or Flight” reflex kicks in. Thankfully the shooter chose to fight rather than take flight but in a fight response you can only use the tools immediately available to “fight”. The shooter “fought” the buffalo the best way he knew how and in that moment he didn’t have the luxury of a safety checklist or the time to wait until everything was perfect so he made a command decision to act!

Thankfully there are still some MEN who are capable of controlling their fear and emotions and are capable and confident enough to act quickly and decisively!

Unless a person has experience with extremely high stress situations that require an immediate and competent reaction to unforeseen emergencies without “thinking” they’ll NEVER understand. If that was me in that video (first I’d lose a good 50 pounds) I would hope and pray that my partner took the shot and second I’d hope and pray that my partner put the bullet through the buffalo and not me. 😀. If I were the guy with the gun I’d do what the shooter in the video did and there again I would hope and pray that my aimwas true.
After posting my previous reply, I went back and watched it a few times more. Notice the muzzle discipline big boy had in the slo-mo replay at the end. He kept the dangerous end pointed away from the barrel clown until he was thrown clear, then took his time and made a clean shot to the vitals. Looks like he was right on target. Kudos.
Cape buffalo can sometimes absorb quite alot before they go down.
Suicide ride, looks like he stood a better chance on his back than under hoof, except for his friends shooting.

LOL
That is definitely some damn good shooting, that guys lucky he doesn't have a second bunghole. I would live to be sitting around their campfire later that night
Originally Posted by Irving_D
That is definitely some damn good shooting, that guys lucky he doesn't have a second bunghole. I would live to be sitting around their campfire later that night
No s@#t! Would of been interesting to have been a fly on that wall.
Originally Posted by AB2506

Pathetic that you don’t realize that they likely saved the tossee’s life by shooting when they did. That bull would have ground him into jelly.

Remember that the view from the camera is often very different from the shooter’s view.

It is likely that you never had to make a shoot/don’t shoot decision where other people’s lives factored into the decision. I was in a situation where I had to not only worry about the shot, but the physical safety of dozens of citizens. The stress is unreal and I hope to never be in a similar situation again.

Knee jerk reaction period. If you slow the video down you can see he never fired until the guy was out of the line of fire. The guy has it going on and I'd let him have my back any day, Camuglia not so much.
WOW!!!!😲
THANKS FOR SHARING.
DG with a sharp stick?
Welcome to the party, Tater.
looks to me like he did what he had to do and did it well
It took some work but I snagged some stills for a better perspective. That dude is lucky he's not pooping from two holes, and that he still has a pair.

Some taxidermist needs to do a full mount complete with guy on bull.

I bet this put a grin on Chris Ledoux.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Moment of shot, you can see smoke from barrel to the left

Didn’t Boddingtin’s daughter perforate a Tracker whilst he was being taken apart by a leopard some years ago?

They call it “Dangerous Game”. The guy that didn’t get an extra hole via horn or bullet should’ve went and bought a lottery ticket.

Though riding through the bush on a Buffalo’s boss at 25mph with people shooting in your general direction would make everything you’ll ever do seem boring in comparison.
Jerry Clower 'quoted' ole Marcel Ledbetter, after he climbed a tree after a bobcat, IIRC, '...just shoot up here amongst us, one of us needs some relief...'

For those criticizing the shooter !?!?!?!?!? If I'm the one between the horns, then blaze away my friend, what do I have to lose, that isn't near gone anyway????

Though I've never been there, shooting with friendlies down range strikes me as similar to being in battle, from time to time..... you don't always get to choose the situation or conditions, when bullets need to fly!

JMHO.....
The guy with the beard that shot first probably lost his right eardrum when the ph shot. Watch that guy's reaction when the shot goes off.

He may have lost hearing in that ear forever.
I'm guessing the guy doing the riding has to be close to 300 lbs and that bull tossed him like a rag doll
Ive said it before and now again. I don't allow clients to follow up if we have to follow up. Not on big bears anyway. And rarely on moose for the most part.

I think both shooters did just fine.

People that have not btdt don't realize how slowly and crystal clear all of this happens. The "rider" was totally clear on both shots. Except for any weird deflection after hitting the bull or a limb. And in that instance thats close enough for me.

Well done.
Just watching a short clip it's hard to get an idea on what actually took place to put the man and bull together intimately. I can only guess that the guy on the bull had the first chance and missed or choked. In thick brush like that it could've just been a bull that was not seen by anyone until it charged. It's hard to tell but I'm certain the man that was tossed is happily thankful for the outcome. I hope he wasn't hurt too awfully bad in the encounter. Just a wild guess but the shooter might've been the guide. one thing we can be sure of; they didn't use the man as bait.
Unlike everyone who posted here, those PH's shoot for a living. You all carry your briefcase or lunch bucket to work and they carry their rifle to work.
Originally Posted by reivertom

If I was at the mercy of a Bull Cape Buffalo, he can shoot my direction anytime he needs to. Those bulls can turn on a dime and pound you into a puddle. No doubt he saved that guy's skin.

Reminds me of a Jerry Clowers story, "Just just shoot up in here amongst us, one of us gots to have some relief !! "
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
If I’m in that situation and I’m facing certain death by getting trampled and gored by a wounded Cape Buffalo or my “buddy” makes a lifesaving shot with me down range, a shot which violates 1 of the Boy Scouts Ten Commandments of firearm safety, I’d want my “buddy” sending ACCURATE rounds on target.

There are times when despite doing everything right where everything goes wrong. It’s times like these that separate the wheat from the chaff….the “rules” go out the window and one’s primal instincts to survive kick in.

The shooter in the video was obviously in a very high stress, life threatening situation which is when our “Fight or Flight” reflex kicks in. Thankfully the shooter chose to fight rather than take flight but in a fight response you can only use the tools immediately available to “fight”. The shooter “fought” the buffalo the best way he knew how and in that moment he didn’t have the luxury of a safety checklist or the time to wait until everything was perfect so he made a command decision to act!

Thankfully there are still some MEN who are capable of controlling their fear and emotions and are capable and confident enough to act quickly and decisively!

Unless a person has experience with extremely high stress situations that require an immediate and competent reaction to unforeseen emergencies without “thinking” they’ll NEVER understand. If that was me in that video (first I’d lose a good 50 pounds) I would hope and pray that my partner took the shot and second I’d hope and pray that my partner put the bullet through the buffalo and not me. 😀. If I were the guy with the gun I’d do what the shooter in the video did and there again I would hope and pray that my aimwas true.
Excellent post. Would that more choose to "fight" instead of standing around with their thumbs up. The same can be said of a number of situations, too many flap their jaws about this or that, postulate as experts and leave the work to a few who will, yet bitch when things go badly because nobody is willing to get their hands dirty or bloody!
There's a second video where the guy that was tossed complains about how shoddily his life was saved.

Not.
If he wasn't pooping regular before that he is now. Everytime a door shuts he probably poops himself. He probably has PTSD now.
I'm reading Fred Everett's "Heat, Thirst, & Ivory" now. His first elephant, on his own, was at 12 years of age. He talks about learning to aim below the direct charge and let them run into your shot, and it's clear he had multiple chances to test it, and several other high-stress shots out. This video is proof that there are PH's around whose skills and experiences are on a very different level, like a Formula 1 driver or pro football quarterback. Skill beyond our ability or desire to comprehend.
Well done by the shooters. A combat situation it was.

Osky
That guy better not play the lottery ever again. He used up all his luck.

Just wondering, how many here have hunted buff?

I have once.
The guy on the Horns was hoping someone would shoot.

Some people can shoot and some can't. The shooter could.
Looked like some damn good shooting to me!
Hard to tell, but, @ ~:44 sec it looks like Mbogo’s head is turned back towards the guy he just tossed. Could be because the guy dragged his foot through the curl of the horns, or it could be because Mbogo had designs on further contact with the involuntary rider.

I’ve never been to Africa nor hunted anything truly dangerous (I don’t count Black bears in dangerous game). But, it seems like if Mbogo turns and starts to stomp or continue to toss the rider it just gets hairier for the shooters.
From all of the responses, it looks like cumuglia was voted off the island. LOL

There was a video of a PH making a follow up shot on a lion. He called it just before it happened. “The lion is going to single one person out. Is who he will go after” something to that effect. Dammed if it did t happen that way. Lion fell at his feet when he brained him at about 10 yards. Big balls on that guy also.

Clyde
Lol The guy flying over the Buffalo has the same look on every screenshot you lucky one riding one of them points,,, you'd have a different look
Originally Posted by rainshot
Just watching a short clip it's hard to get an idea on what actually took place to put the man and bull together intimately. I can only guess that the guy on the bull had the first chance and missed or choked. In thick brush like that it could've just been a bull that was not seen by anyone until it charged. It's hard to tell but I'm certain the man that was tossed is happily thankful for the outcome. I hope he wasn't hurt too awfully bad in the encounter. Just a wild guess but the shooter might've been the guide. one thing we can be sure of; they didn't use the man as bait.
There were two shooters. Watch it again. Its easy as heck to see the guy on the left shoots. Then the PH and then the PH again as a double into the body. Heck the PH may have fired twice the first time, I didn't watch it that closely.
Like Ruark said “He looked at me like I owed him money.”

My first ever stalk of Cape buffalo put us in dense heavy cover with buff all around us. I had a .416 Rigby, one PH had a 470NE, the other a 458 Lott, and there was also a 300wsm. We were severely, severely under gunned. It didn’t take long to realize we were in a situation we couldn’t control. Trying to get your heart rate to slow when you see only horns and feet 15-20 yards from you, and realizing that if there is a charge, your probably screwed, was the rush of a lifetime. We backed out, but those few minutes will forever be with me. Buffalo hunting gets in your blood, and you can’t just do it once. Luckily, the two buff we killed were pretty much non events.
Originally Posted by jetjockey

My first ever stalk of a Cape buffalo put us in dense heavy cover with buff all around us. I had a .416 Rigby, one PH had a 470NE, the other a 458 Lott, and there was also a 300wsm. We were severely, severely under gunned. It didn’t take long to realize we were in a situation we couldn’t control. Trying to get your heart rate to slow when you see only horns and feet 15-20 yards from you, and realizing that if there is a charge, your probably screwed, was the rush of a lifetime. We backed out, but those few minutes will forever be with me. Buffalo hunting gets in your blood, and you can’t just do it once. Luckily, the two buff we killed were pretty much non events.
If you think you were undergunned I'd like to know what you think you needed. 15-20 yards is a long way. The last animal I had to deal with was a brown bear in a bed at about 25 feet. I was in a tunnel and could not stand. But I did prevent the bear from completely getting up and pressing the charge. 458 is more than enough. You only need to be in the conscious mind correctly as it happens.
Love all the mamby pamby range officer safety comments. Good shooting in that situation.
If I was riding that bull, neither of the shooters would ever have to pay for another drink!
Originally Posted by rost495

My first ever stalk of a Cape buffalo put us in dense heavy cover with buff all around us. I had a .416 Rigby, one PH had a 470NE, the other a 458 Lott, and there was also a 300wsm. We were severely, severely under gunned. It didn’t take long to realize we were in a situation we couldn’t control. Trying to get your heart rate to slow when you see only horns and feet 15-20 yards from you, and realizing that if there is a charge, your probably screwed, was the rush of a lifetime. We backed out, but those few minutes will forever be with me. Buffalo hunting gets in your blood, and you can’t just do it once. Luckily, the two buff we killed were pretty much non events.
If you think you were underpinned I'd like to know what you think you needed. 15-20 yards is a long way. The last animal I had to deal with was a brown bear in a bed at about 25 feet. I was in a tunnel and could not stand. But I did prevent the bear from completely getting up and pressing the charge. 458 is more than enough. You only need to be in the conscious mind correctly as it happens.

There’s a big difference between 1 bear and 50+ Buffalo. Another 20 470’s would have been a good start! 🤣
Roger that. Bomar..
Originally Posted by Brokenarrow
Originally Posted by reivertom

If I was at the mercy of a Bull Cape Buffalo, he can shoot my direction anytime he needs to. Those bulls can turn on a dime and pound you into a puddle. No doubt he saved that guy's skin.

Reminds me of a Jerry Clowers story, "Just just shoot up in here amongst us, one of us gots to have some relief !! "
Knock him out John!

People that have not btdt don't realize how slowly and crystal clear all of this happens. The "rider" was totally clear on both shots. Except for any weird deflection after hitting the bull or a limb. And in that instance thats close enough for me.

Well done.

You're right, Jeff. In many serious situations some people are so intensely focused it seems to them that everything is moving in slow motion and even seems like they themselves are moving in slow motion while trying to respond faster.

Shooter was totally focused on and in control of his actions.

As you know, there are those who are Cool Hand Luke's in serious situations, such as many who are first responders, EMTs, firemen, emergency room personnel, service men clearing buildings of enemy combatants and cops entering premises after dangerous people.

Ha, like you were when facing that Brownie.

On occasion, Time stands still.
I would hate to be in that situation but I would hope if I was I would be cool enough to pull off a shot like that. I hope they had a short break after all that excitement so they could clean out their shorts and reload... I bet the adrenaline load didn't end until they got off the plane at home... After watching the video again I'm pretty sure the two guys shooting were both PH's by their accents and cool temperament after the shooting gallery calmed down...

After meeting a guy at a get together at my taxidermist's home who had been stomped and gored several times by a big Cape buffalo I am quite aware of how fast things can go south. If not for a brave tracker who picked up his rifle and killed the buff on the third charge through the bush and the miracle of having an emergency room doctor in camp who saved his life he would have been African soil enrichment ...
Human life was on the line. Your an idiot.

If you think you were underpinned I'd like to know what you think you needed. 15-20 yards is a long way. The last animal I had to deal with was a brown bear in a bed at about 25 feet. I was in a tunnel and could not stand. But I did prevent the bear from completely getting up and pressing the charge. 458 is more than enough. You only need to be in the conscious mind correctly as it happens.

There’s a big difference between 1 bear and 50+ Buffalo. Another 20 470’s would have been a good start! 🤣
lmao. Bears come more than one. But not 50. Sounds like you faired just fine is the point. So you were not undergunned. Only accidentally in a bad place. Had a bear mostly inside the tent with me last fall, unplanned gets you into a really hard mindset in the middle of the night in your sleep. Things are really clear, in focus and in slow motion.

I don't know buff. But I would hope not all 50 would charge. Gotta be really sweet to be that close. Its one of 2 animals I have any desire of in Africa and it would have to be with a bow for me.
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Well done.

You're right, Jeff. In many serious situations some people are so intensely focused it seems to them that everything is moving in slow motion and even seems like they themselves are moving in slow motion while trying to respond faster.

Shooter was totally focused on and in control of his actions.

As you know, there are those who are Cool Hand Luke's in serious situations, such as many who are first responders, EMTs, firemen, emergency room personnel, service men clearing buildings of enemy combatants and cops entering premises after dangerous people.

Ha, like you were when facing that Brownie.

On occasion, Time stands still.
OTOH after its all said and done there can be time for sit down before you fall over and change your drawers LOL
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Haha

🤣🤣

LMAO!
Looks like a hell of a ride. Glad he came out of it OK. Until your the one looking down the barrel don't question what the trigger puller did. Looks like he did what he needed to to. Now the dude that took a ride.... his ass should have known better...
That is nuts.

I have a couple friends I would want to take the shot if they had it.
LOL
Originally Posted by AB2506

Rcamugly runs a spaghetti restaurant.

He can tell you how to stop a meatball that was dropped on the floor and is rolling away uncontrollably. He can also tell you, in very precise terms, how John Burns likes to be pleasured. Beyond that, his opinions are usually wrong.
Guaranteed the rider needed fresh undies after all that unfolded.
Tough situation. I think just last fall we had someone shoot their hunting partner while they were trying to shoot a griz that was attacking. Sucks to be shot but it sucks to be Timothy Treadwell too.

I think I'm in the take the shot if you think you can camp. Maybe with the exception of a few guys that I may rather take my chance with the bear. Those animals could always just be one twitch away from ending someone in an attack. Sometimes only have a split second to make the shot and you miss 100% of the ones you dont take. If its just a missed chance to fill a tag thats on the line always take the time to make the safe call. In these situations its often do or someone dies. Thats a whole new level of pressure. My friends that I know can generally shoot I'd say take the shot. Hard to say because every situation is so different so i just hope they've got the experience and judgement to read the situation. If you get me on accident know I died out doing what I loved and at least left everyone with a he'll of a story.

I read a story once about a kid that accidentally shot his dad while hunting and never could go on after that. So, I told my kids when they first started hunting with me that if there's ever an accident and they hurt me to forgive themselves and know I forgive them and love them and want them to keep doing the shooting and hunting they love and know I'm smiling down on them, or maybe up at them. I hope my hunting friends know the same.

Another situation I worry about is dogs attacking a kid. We had pitbulls running the neighborhood a few years ago so u tried to get my wife to carry a little lcrx38 or my 351pd when walking the dogs with the kids. She said if the dog had a kid she'd be afraid to shoot. So I told her in that situation hold the gun barrel against the dog at the best angle thats pointing as far away from anyone on the other side. She said she didn't even want to think about it. I said it's best to have a plan before you need it and explained how bullets can deflect at pretty hard animals in game but don't generally turn more than 90 degrees in stuff unless it's a full ricochet.

Bb
Originally Posted by Morewood
LOL
That bull has his eye on the dude with the rifle
Didn't break it down frame by frame but looking at the stills posted here - dude getting tossed is about 2.5 to 3 feet from where you'd be aiming. You think your shot would be 2.5 FEET off at a range of 10 feet?

Guy's up in the air/on the buff's back - doubt the shooters were thinking "I need to spine this mo'fo".
That will wake you up in a hurry...

Never hunted buff, but damn that looked fun.

This picture says a lot I can only imagine what's going through his mind. Then take a look at the eye of that buffalo no doubt he's out to kill
Another situation I worry about is dogs attacking a kid. We had pitbulls running the neighborhood a few years ago…..

I’m a neverdoneit dangerous game guy 100%. But as to emergency situations with an attack in progress I’m pretty sure I could perform and not run. I’ve thought through various scenarios planning my options for assisting anyone under a pit bull, maybe a black bear, maybe just feral dogs, maybe a family member in a beat down. For the 4 legged threats if attacking a downed person I’ve thought a close up pelvis shot would be the first round target PROBABLY. Then shoot it a while longer when/if it turns until safely dead. Anyway that’s the plan for the threats I might face in my geography.

But a 500+ lb bear or something huge like the video shows I see no option but for those armed to take whatever shot their mental readiness tells them is as good as it will get. In any life threatening situation it should be obvious having those around you armed is about as important as being armed yourself.
Originally Posted by DMc
I would never hunt with that shooter....

EVER

As for the guy getting tossed? Why didn't he have a gun?

I view it just the opposite. Seems he waited for a clear shot, and made a pretty good shot under the circumstances! If it was my butt on the Buf…..I’d give the shooter a hug and a handshake! memtb
A lot of our troops came home alive because a buddy took what would normally be a questionable shot. Sometimes you don't have time to think, just act. If I'd been in that position, hopefully I'd have been able to do the same. I've never been there so I can't say what I would have done, only what I hope I would have done.
None of them ran out of the way. They stood their ground and helped their colleague. I would say thats as good of a friend as you could ask for.
Where do we purchase the SA PBR morale patch? The rider should get the obvious SA PBR - 2 second ride tattoo.

Brave tough men.
Reminds me of Jerry Clower, Knock him out John, Shoot up here amongst us, one of us needs some relief.
I wasn't familiar with this, but now I want the rest of the story
looking at the captured still photo's my first thought is that it was a good thing the "cowboy" was on top of the bull and not under it...
Originally Posted by wyowinchester
Human life was on the line. Your an idiot.

What were they supposed to do in that situation?
Shooting a Cape Buffalo with a bow...what could possibly go wrong??!!!
Originally Posted by TRnCO
looking at the captured still photo's my first thought is that it was a good thing the "cowboy" was on top of the bull and not under it...
He was kind of low over the forehead. There are pointy things there to get hold of...or to get hold of you.
The first guy shooting was a varsity level shooter, he didn’t panic and got hits. When chit gets real he’s the type of guy you want on your side.
© 24hourcampfire