Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Do a search for loads on the 24hr campfire who know what they are talking about. Certain posters are always posting high velocity’s. Stay away from that data or drop it a few grains. Send a few PMs. Once you have established that multiple guys shoot the same load, load it and shoot first from hip. Then verify it groups.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Generally once.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I’m never done developing loads. I tinker with everything I have until I no longer have it.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
Do a search for loads on the 24hr campfire who know what they are talking about. Certain posters are always posting high velocity’s. Stay away from that data or drop it a few grains. Send a few PMs. Once you have established that multiple guys shoot the same load, load it and shoot first from hip. Then verify it groups.
Sierra or Nosler show top loads for each combination.

One can generally start and end load development there short of adjusting COAL.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Similar....

All of my bolt rifles have an aftermarket barrel.. I choose a bullet I want for a rifle and find the seating depth. I start with the bullet being engraved by the lands and keep seating deeper until those marks disappear. Use steel wool on the bullet to make the marks more visible.
I have not fired a shot yet.
Next choose an appropriate powder and load one round 5-10% off maximum and shoot it through the chronograph. Check for pressure and load another round with a higher charge -- through the chrono. Repeat until maximum or near maximum is reached.
At this point I will shoot a 2 or 3 shot group. If I've done everything right and had a bit of luck that load will shoot. May shoot 3 at a lessor powder charge if the group is spitting a shot..
If that doesn't provide what I'm after I'll look at a different bullet or powder.. No need for a lot of shooting with a certain combination. Either it shoots or it doesn't..

BTW, all my rifles have the action bedded properly and the barrel floated. Generally shoot without a lot of fanfare..

Last edited by PatB; 02/16/24.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by marzoom
How many times to do reload before your happy load?

I must be fuzzy?. Fuzzy, that is new to me, LOL Get a new gun, reload and get acquainted with the gun.
But seems to take forever at times , testing testing etc...
One day I will shoot am awesome group with a certain load, next day it is like WTF?
. Problem for me is it takes a lot of shooting to fine the right powder, bullet combo, ETC... For me anyway. Not that I mind,

So as a reloader! How far do you go? I mean I always want clover leafs at 100 yard as that is basically all I need in my area of hunting/
Hopefully with research and luck somewhere in the first 20 rounds loaded I'm almost there. A few more groups of 5. And then go verify accuracy to 600 and zero's and I'm done.

Shoot when we see game. Or now and then to verify zero. I tend to verify the long zero on a rock at 1000 out of the stand a few times a season.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by fshaw
Pretty good thread titled “Painless Load Development” on Rokslide.
Is that the audette method I'd bet? I will have to see if I can google rockslide

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

I should say that I consult horn, Nosler, and Barnes data. But there have been piles of searchable loads posted on the 24hcf over the decades and they have proven to be more reliable than published data.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Viper225
With a new gun working up loads helps in several ways. Trigger Time, Breaking in the Barrel, as well as finding a Load the Gun likes best. MY 300 HAM'R is a good example. I am at around 120 rounds through it now. The last trip to the range with it, I got the best groups so far.

My 22 ARC has mostly seen factory ammunition so far. It is shooting great, however the factory loads are leaving swipe marks on the brass. I plan on pulling the bullets on the 50 I have left, and down loading them a little. It is hard to look for pressure signs, when the factory once fired brass all has swipe marks. My CFE223 powder looks to be a slow lot. I need to change powders and see for sure. Then we have which of half a dozen bullets looks to work best.

Reloading for Accuracy is an Adventure.

Along the same line is Deer Season. Between working on Stands, and Stand Locations. Figuring out which handgun I will hunt with this year, and working with it. Picking the best Bullet. Then Trigger Time with both the handgun I plan to hunt with, as well as my XP100 22LR. I can get months of enjoyment out of a week and a half of Deer Season.

Bob R

Or we had an AR rebarreled. Same brand, smith etc.. pac nor 6.5 twist. 223. 5 shots and clean really well confirmed standard load seemed ok. couple shots and clean to rough zero 200. 5 shots to confirm and clean at 300. Scrubbed barrel really well. Then fired 10 rounds at 200 on zero. Shot a few at 600 for zero. Took it to a regional match. Won the match. Set a record at the time on that range. Won the 99% NRA badge. Followed up a week later same loads in a state match. Won the 600 yard stage with first ever perfect score on that range. Managed to beat David Tubb. Placed 3rd in a Palma match the next day against bolt guns with ar service rifle. Won 800 and 900 outright and lost the match at 1000 but that was on me.

No more than need be.

Of course we have shot literally 100s, of thousands of rounds over the years and just don't shoot more than needed anymore.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

IMO Sierra load data is just about worthless. They do not have or use pressure testing equipment, or at least they didn’t when I called and asked them a few years ago.

I was told they determine pressure the same way we would, reading primers and brass, in other words they guessed. No Thanks.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by steve4102

IMO Sierra load data is just about worthless. They do not have or use pressure testing equipment, or at least they didn’t when I called and asked them a few years ago.

I was told they determine pressure the same way we would, reading primers and brass, in other words they guessed. No Thanks.

Hate to break it to you but Quickload is a guess/estimate too.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Hate to break it to you but Quickload is a guess/estimate too.

Only if you use QL your only source, otherwise it is just another tool to be used in conjunction with other tools.

Question, What’s the most important variable when following published load data?

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For a big game rifle, generally speaking once I find a combination that is capable of 3 shots into a 1.5 inch circle at 100 yards I call it good.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It always starts with choosing the bullet I want to shoot.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Same for Hornady if you consult the paper manuals.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I look at my stock of powder and the shelves of bullets and decide on a combo. I load what I think should perform as I want it to and sight the rifle in. I shoot a group at 100 and might shoot one at 300M. If accuracy is within reason, I call it good. This for hunting or silhouette rifles. For long range target rifles, I'll work a little harder at it, but not much. It is rare that the first load doesn't do the trick. GD

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Even if they use pressure equipment how do you know that particular load is safe in your rifle?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by marzoom
One day I will shoot am awesome group with a certain load, next day it is like WTF

Interesting quote. The above illustrates how ineffective it is to load a series of 3 shot loads, shoot them, and pick the best group as your "load".

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Not exactly ,
Hornady #7, page 74 says.

They use "Special Firearms designed to measure pressure", ....."The various loads are then test fired in commercially available firearms for velocity".

Hornady goes on to say that some calibers and for some cartridges, were tested the old fashioned way, "guessing", as a pressure barrel was not available at the time of testing.

That's if you consult the paper manuals.

Last edited by steve4102; 02/16/24.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Not exactly ,
Hornady #7, page 74 says.

They use "Special Firearms designed to measure pressure", ....."The various loads are then test fired in commercially available firearms for velocity".

Hornady goes on to say that some calibers and for some cartridges, were tested the old fashioned way, "guessing", as a pressure barrel was not available at the time of testing.

That's if you consult the paper manuals.
👍🏻

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 61 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,326
Posts18,487,479
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.