Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just sharing a Savage moment here.

I Looked for pics but cannot find any of a friend's rifle whose banged up stock I redid. Turned out better than hoped but ran into an issue reassembling.
Was very nervous as after taking it apart I found some spring and tiny ball bearing whose purpose I could only guess as being there to make the bolt smoother. I was like, what the,,,,, how does this go together. The fact it was an heirloom from his grandfather had me feeling pressure.

I could not find the manual on line. I called Savage and they told me the gun was made like 80 or 90 years ago but even they have no manuals on it due to some fire after they sold the company?????

He had a scope on it that was touching the barrel and I got him a great deal on something made this century- but it still needs shims or ....something.
Overall the gun looks great and works only so so okay but the internal magazine seems off... scratching head.

Anyway- any Savage lover know anything about a bolt action 30/30 that was discontinued around maybe 1940's?

Last edited by kenjs1; 02/16/24.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Sounds like a detent ball and spring from the trigger/safety group

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Savage model 40 or 45.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
See if this helps...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
As 30Gibbs and Calhoun said. However, if its the safety thats causing the problrm, the parts you are looking for are 1-5-6 and 2-5-20. There's a chance Numerich Arms/Gun Parts Corp may have them.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Was there a version of the safety that used a detent ball instead of a plunger?

Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 340 series used a detent ball & spring for the safety - -sav/340-series part 36 & 37.

Gene
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by GeneB
The 340 series used a detent ball & spring for the safety - -sav/340-series part 36 & 37.

Thanks Gene, that’s what I was thinking
That’s the info the op was looking for

Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Gene brings up a good point. I think a lot of us have been assuming it's a Savage 40/45 when it could just as easily be a 340-series. The OP's description is vague and smells of unfamiliarity with things Savage, and a call to Savage would get a Gen Y or Z-er who is clueless about Savage products made when his grampaw or great grampaw were young men.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
We have a savage model 340 in 222rem that has the detent ball\spring safety. Keep it clean and lubed as they can start to hang up.

Last edited by snoeproe; 02/17/24.
IC B3

kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys- much appreciated. So stupid of me but I had my buddy come out to the lease over the weekend and didn't think to look at the model number. I thought I would need to shim the scope I mounted but turns out the bore sighting I did a few years back (he hasn't fired it) was dead on at 50 yards. I recall having to crank the tar out of elevation to get it close but.....works. No one more surprised than me after he pulled the trigger but no one happier than him. He loved the recoil pad as well and it cycled perfectly.

I will ask him the model number- and be sure to share that here with you kind folks.

Past dark on Saturday he bloodied that rifle by taking a big racoon at 75 yards. You would have thought it was a trophy buck. He is over 50 but had to call his Dad (something I am still getting used to not being able to do) to tell him grandad's rifle is working like new and actually made a kill after all these years.

I felt very rewarded.

Last edited by kenjs1; 02/28/24.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just thought of something - if this helps and for fun - one thing regarding the safety. Going to safe mode caused a wide tab to pop up on the left rear side of the bolt. The tab displayed ...or maybe uncovered?... Safe or Fire. I believe the actual mechanism to go safe or fire was smaller sliding metal tab on the right side.

In digging around I am thinking likely a model 45. It has that same bolt. Produced 1928-1940.

I think Calhoun got it right.

Last edited by kenjs1; 02/28/24.

. Confucius
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Sounds like a detent ball and spring from the trigger/safety group

I hope so Pocono - that's where I put it! :-) Good catch.

. Confucius
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yep, Model 40 or 45. Checkered stock? If so it'll be a 45.

Funny thing about that 'coon. After I inherited my Dad's M340 .30-30 I had to take it deer hunting that first year (even though I didn't care for the thing very much). Iron sights, no peep or scope. Saw no deer that day but a fox presented himself running past me left-to-right at around 50 yards. I threw the gun up and fired sending up a cloud of dirt under his tail. He shifted into overdrive and really scooted as I worked the bolt, swung through him like I was bird shooting with a shotgun, and slapped the trigger as the sights passed his nose. Bang, flop. Only living thing I ever shot with it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Yep, Model 40 or 45. Checkered stock? If so it'll be a 45.

Funny thing about that 'coon. After I inherited my Dad's M340 .30-30 I had to take it deer hunting that first year (even though I didn't care for the thing very much). Iron sights, no peep or scope. Saw no deer that day but a fox presented himself running past me left-to-right at around 50 yards. I threw the gun up and fired sending up a cloud of dirt under his tail. He shifted into overdrive and really scooted as I worked the bolt, swung through him like I was bird shooting with a shotgun, and slapped the trigger as the sights passed his nose. Bang, flop. Only living thing I ever shot with it.

I still have some of his white belly fur, stained pink from urine, in my fly tying kit. Now and then I'll use it to tie a killer streamer.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
What a great story - and a great shot. I too tie flies and I use a blend of coyote tail on one. I call it the coyote clouser as it mimics his original pattern. I color the dumbbell eyes deep blue and add white or tan belly. I’ve caught bass to trout with ‘em. Harvesting coyotes, another great use for the old Savage.

kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Correct on the OP showing lack of general Savage knowledge.... though I did help friends and nephew buy a few Savage rifles. I also explained to a buddy who bought one for long distance the accustock and accutrigger and floating bolt etc... and features now commonly copied by other manufacturers. He was much more excited about it after we talked.

I am going with model 45 by all descriptions and the parts listing sent earlier in this thread.

I found photos and a bit more online.

He wrote me to say it says Savage Super Sporter.

Just a good feeling to allow someone to use, and now enjoy using, his grandfather's rifle.

Last edited by kenjs1; 02/29/24.

. Confucius

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

334 members (14idaho, 16penny, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 48 invisible), 2,085 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,991
Posts18,481,100
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.