Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I’ve got a 20” version of that WOA upper on a cheaply PSA lower with a Geissselle SSAE trigger in it. It shoots itty bitty groups. And it’s heavy.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I like that a lot, just wish it was threaded, any idea on weight?

Last edited by scottprice; 02/17/24.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The AR-15 concept and design is based on the creation of the 223 from the 222mag for the AR. The original cartridge design was a 55 grain bullet at 3,250 fps to be effective at 300 meters. That is it in a nutshell.

Been an armorer since 1964, 101st Airborne Division, when our M-14s were turned in for XM-16E1s. Twist was a bit off and guys broke the crap out of them, 4-7 per jump, etc, etc. I wrote the reports to the Pentagon on performance, not all glowing, unless you figure in the heated words. Today the ARs are decades improved.

You just buy a 223 AR from one of the better known houses on sale. Sugges a 16" with a medium to heavy 1-8 twist barrel, flat top, chrome molly will do, you wear it out get a better barrel. A flat top upper with a 2 x 7 or better variable scope. A 3# trigger should do fine. The Sierra 53 SMKs with H-335 or 844 or 2023, no N anything is needed or any wazoo, super bullet either.

Hogs and yotes ain't bullet proof.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
For a second I thought this post was from 2005...

For 250yds?

THIS WILL PROBABLY WORK

I concur...

Cheap and effective...

Down the road you can upgrade to a WO (or whatever) if the PSA disappoints...

IMHO... the PSA will shoot just fine.

So cheap! Worth a try. My first PSA upper called Dissipatior in stainless was crazy accurate with crap Wolf steel. I got another one for some dumb reason, cheap maybe?, but it wasn't so good at all. They happily took it back. Bought a blem lower. There wasn't a thing blemished on it. Hard to beat PSA. John at White Oak has been a competitive shooter and does good work. His uppers didn't improve my skills or the guy I sold it too either. Where I live 250 yards is a long shot at animals besides.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've had both light barrels and heavy barrels. The heavies tend to be track drivers, but they are unnecessarily heavy.
Good barrels aren't hard to come by these days even in light profiles and you can get a better handling predator rifle without a weight and length penalty.
The WO upper you linked has a couple of things that would be problematic for me on a predator rifle. To me, it is heavier than necessary, threading is 5/8-24 (usually used on larger caliber suppressors) has a .875 gas block and depending on length, a slow twist if your going to shoot heavy for caliber bullets which a lot of coyote shooters do.
Personally I would trade barrel length and weight for a suppressor even while shooting supersonic loads. That may or may not work for you though.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 264mag
…they are unnecessarily heavy.
Good barrels aren't hard to come by these days even in light profiles and you can get a better handling predator rifle without a weight and length penalty.

…a slow twist if your going to shoot heavy for caliber bullets which a lot of coyote shooters do.

….I would trade barrel length and weight for a suppressor

Good info regarding weight, I’d hope to keep bare rifle 9 pounds or less. Not a huge deal though, a good sling will make it feel lighter walking in. And it’ll be sitting on a tripod anyway

more than likely I’ll be between 45 and 62gr bullets…

The Ability to suppress is mandatory though

Last edited by scottprice; 02/17/24.
IC B2

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
As to trigger upgrades, I like my Hyperfire DM. Shot a lot of very high end triggers in ARs. This one, to me, is 98% of what a Geissele is but costs $100. Breaks like an ice cycle and has a short, distinct reset. Milspec design, so easy to clean.

Just my $0.02.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by OGB
As to trigger upgrades, I like my Hyperfire DM. Shot a lot of very high end triggers in ARs. This one, to me, is 98% of what a Geissele is but costs $100. Breaks like an ice cycle and has a short, distinct reset. Milspec design, so easy to clean.

Just my $0.02.
I appreciate the high value recommendation

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I built mine back around ‘15. Keep saying I’m going to lighten it up, just haven’t yet. Shoots well. Geisselle (likely misspelled) SD-E. Black Hole 16” barrel. Magpul ACS stock. 6x SWFA.
Right now it puts 53 v maxes into itty bitty groups. Suppressor and all she clocks in around 11 pounds, so AR’s can get heavy without meaning to.

If forced to buy off the rack, I’d probably just Ruger MPR and upgrade the trigger if it needed it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’d find a PSA 18” SS rifle-gassed upper. They tend to shoot well for cheap.

Now with even more aplomb
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by scottprice
Originally Posted by OGB

Just my $0.02.
I bring up the "easy to clean" part because ARs " Carbon up" quick. Nothing necessarily wrong with the drop in boxes but I like to be able to maintain the trigger.

I've used ARs more than the average bear and have seen about everything that can go wrong happen. I value rugged simplicity wherever I can get it.

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

PSA 18" SS rifle gas, trigger less kit, drop in CMC 2.5lb competition trigger and you're there.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That's some good groceries right there.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OGB
Originally Posted by OGB

Just my $0.02.
I bring up the "easy to clean" part because ARs " Carbon up" quick. Nothing necessarily wrong with the drop in boxes but I like to be able to maintain the trigger.

I've used ARs more than the average bear and have seen about everything that can go wrong happen. I value rugged simplicity wherever I can get it.

Have had a Sig piston 16" carbine for a while now. It's the only piston AR I have, and it runs much cleaner than my others.

It also has a gas adjustment for suppressed shooting. Don't get a magazine of powder fouled ammo.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I've got a WOA 18" Fluted SPR barrel on a build I did; 18" SPR barrel, Geiselle SD-E Trigger, stripped Aero upper & lower, Magpul UBR stock. I'm very happy with the accuracy.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

5 shots at 100 with TAC and 77 OTMs

3 shots at 307 yds (stopped when the bolt head broke off)

But, for a calling rifle I prefer a 16" carbine with a VX6HD 1-6X on it. Most of our calling shots are 30-150yds. I like the lighter rifle for hiking between multiple stands.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by erickg
PSA 18" SS rifle gas, trigger less kit, drop in CMC 2.5lb competition trigger and you're there.
Slick! I’ll keep my eyes peeled for PSA deals. And thank you for killing the strays

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by JPro
I’d find a PSA 18” SS rifle-gassed upper. They tend to shoot well for cheap.
This is what my last complete upper purchase from PSA was, 18” SS rifle gassed. Shoots way better than its price would indicate! My DD shoots good also but no better. PSA will be the first place I look in the future. PS. .223 Wylde chamber.

Last edited by Heym06; 02/17/24.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I’m getting great feedback keep it coming.

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by OGB
Originally Posted by OGB

Just my $0.02.

Have had a Sig piston 16" carbine for a while now. It's the only piston AR I have, and it runs much cleaner than my others.

It also has a gas adjustment for suppressed shooting. Don't get a magazine of powder fouled ammo.
Pistons run WAY cleaner for sure. Can't count how many partial mags I've dropped (top off when you get the chance!) that look like they came out of a campfire when running a can.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
https://simpsonltd.com/rock-river-arms-lar-15-c61873/

I had one of these. Stupid accurate. Wilson barrels I believe. Great trigger too. Alot of gun for the money.

Scott

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I looked at rock rivers, nice guns but that one isn’t threaded

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 163bc, 66 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,601
Posts18,473,587
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.