Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Gotta suck to be those homeowners.
I'm sure those houses will be gone in a year or two. At least the brick house in the foreground is a rental from the same LLC that owns the property where Buccees is going.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those Bucce'Nuggets are the bomb. Can't go there without buying a bag of them.
They also have real gasoline at a couple of them I've visited. No ethanol and my old Chitolay truck gets almost 22mpg.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
I don't know about all the Buc-ee's, but the one I stop at off of I-75 in N. Texas sells dried venison, it's next to the jerky section.

I do believe that you were LOST!!!!!!

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I'm a Buc-ee's fan. They take a simple concept, & they execute the hell out of it.

The gas is almost always the cheapest. The pumps work, and are clean. They're never out of DEF. Those locations that have windshield cleaning stuff are well-stocked, and the wiper sticks are always functional.

I never have to wade through sewage on the floor in the men's room - it's always cleaner than a surgical suite. The soap & towel dispensers are always stocked, and I never have to wait for a schidder.

The coffee aint world class, but it's always fresh & consistent at every store I've been to. They're always well-stocked with stuff to dump in the coffee.

The sausage & jerky are done well. The kolaches aren't top-shelf, but they're a solid B+, and outside of a Buc-ee's, I can't find 'em at all when I'm not in TX. Brisket never sucks, though I get my sammies dry there, 'cause I find their sauce too sweet, and too liberally applied.

They must have the greatest corporate training regimen. Every employee I've seen looks like they just stepped out of a shower. They're all in uniform, and it's worn correctly. The women have tastefully applied makeup. Most of all, they all seem to be genuinely happy to be there. I've never had a remotely bad experience with any Buc-ee's employee.

Is it a tourist trap? Abso-damned-LOUTELY. That's a helluva lot of overhead they have to cover. But they bait that trap awfully well, and they always deliver what they promise. No, it would never be my corner store for a loaf o' bread + a 12 pack, but they make my road trips more bearable.

I get the issue that they don't allow OTR trucks, but it's impossible to be all things to all people. Making them even bigger to accommodate trucks would necessitate bigger interchanges, & really snarl entrance & egress. Better to cede that business to Loves/Flying J/Pilot/TA, and focus on what they do best.

Just my $0.03

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
There gonna build a new one about 20 miles north of me on I-95. I usually stop at one before I get off the interstate on the way to camp. Top off the truck, fill a few gas cans for the 4 wheeler, sxs, and generator. Whats not to like. Cheap gas and clean bathrooms. I grab some beef jerky and a brisket sandwich on the way out so I have something ready to eat when I get to camp.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well said FC. For the reasons you so well stated, reiterates why I commented that they are marketing geniuses. Not to mention the cheapest bags of ice you'll ever find anywhere, even though they just jacked the price up a few months ago.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Muffin
I don't know about all the Buc-ee's, but the one I stop at off of I-75 in N. Texas sells dried venison, it's next to the jerky section.

Impossible, my hand was on the venison FTMFW laugh

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Town Pump for the win

It’s been a long time, but I always stopped at the big Iowa 80 truck stop when I was driving across the country.

That's some acreage.

So is Little America and Giant.

The last two, probably eclipse Buc-ees in acreage.

JGRaider,
As someone who relied on truckstops for most of my sustenance and sleep,
I've been in a few. Border to border and coast to coast.

Two things lately determine the character of a truckstop.
Exactly like a bar.

Neighborhood,
And management.

You can't manage your way around too much trash.
Typically though, you get the trash you allow.

Clean the damn place daily, keep it neat,
run off the whòres and scammers,
and you won't have much trouble.

Most major interchanges have multiple truckstops.
And they are usually playing different roles.
One will be nice and clean, attract guys who are working for a living.
Stopping for truck and driver fuel, clean shower, uninterrupted sleep.

The other will be scruffy, with scruffy help and clients.
Dirty fuel islands and bathrooms, sometimes good food.
Blizzards crawling the lot and parties and whatnot in the backrow.
CB advertised "Truck Cleaning Services😉😉" in the parking lot.

My wife ran a Truck fueling C-store.
Having driven herself she was sympathetic, and wise.
The place was kept clean, her help that might go out to trucks were fired.
Like anyplace, you get what you allow.

PS. Fuel was the #1 seller but cars outnumbered trucks hugely.
She got many compliments about how clean the place was, from 4-wheeler drivers.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 02/19/24.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Gotta suck to be those homeowners.
I'm sure those houses will be gone in a year or two. At least the brick house in the foreground is a rental from the same LLC that owns the property where Buccees is going.
Interesting, that makes some sense. That LLC will make more than enough I'm guessing to cover the loss of rent.

Was that empty land before the work started or did they tear out other houses/businesses?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
F’n boomers. Lol

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Geno is the Fire’s boomer though

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
F’n boomers. Lol

Don't get between me and my Buc-ee's restroom!!

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They just opened a Buc-ee in Springfield, MO. I took prefer Kwik Trip

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ll stop at QT just for food

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Maybe not the best but I want some brisket right now after reading this

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scotty
They just opened a Buc-ee in Springfield, MO. I took prefer Kwik Trip

Always liked QT.
Good food.

They didn't discriminate against us dirty, hairy palmed, cigar chewing truckers.
😉

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Muffin

Impossible, my hand was on the venison FTMFW laugh

I just wasn't aware that I-75 had an exit in Texas?????

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
There are truck stops at almost every exit here in the south, plenty of places that cater to truckers. Buc-ee's doesn't want big rigs cluttering up the parking lot and blocking their paying customers, they want travelers coming in and out quickly which is what I want to do also. It's annoying as hell to try to pay for a coke & potato chips at a truck stop and getting behind a trucker paying for fuel who takes 10 minutes to give 47 pages of information to the cashier to charge their fuel. I've never waited more than 30 seconds for a cashier to open up at a Buc-ee's. They cater to families and the bathrooms are spotlessly maintained, they know that Mama decides where to stop and they don't want to walk into a place where some beer bellied trucker who can't see his pecker has pissed all over the toilet seat. Notice Buc-ee's doesn't have tables and chairs inside either, everything is grab and go, they want the customers in and out quickly.

I'm sure truckers are welcome at Buc-ee's just like anyone else, just not while driving their rigs. There are a gazillion truck stops, go to one of them and leave the rest of us a decent place to stop.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
There are truck stops at almost every exit here in the south, plenty of places that cater to truckers. Buc-ee's doesn't want big rigs cluttering up the parking lot and blocking their paying customers, they want travelers coming in and out quickly which is what I want to do also. It's annoying as hell to try to pay for a coke & potato chips at a truck stop and getting behind a trucker paying for fuel who takes 10 minutes to give 47 pages of information to the cashier to charge their fuel. I've never waited more than 30 seconds for a cashier to open up at a Buc-ee's. They cater to families and the bathrooms are spotlessly maintained, they know that Mama decides where to stop and they don't want to walk into a place where some beer bellied trucker who can't see his pecker has pissed all over the toilet seat. Notice Buc-ee's doesn't have tables and chairs inside either, everything is grab and go, they want the customers in and out quickly.

I'm sure truckers are welcome at Buc-ee's just like anyone else, just not while driving their rigs. There are a gazillion truck stops, go to one of them and leave the rest of us a decent place to stop.

Couldn't say it better myself, even though I tried! The cleanest truck stop in America don't hold a candle to Bucees. My dad was in marketing with Skelly Oil Co/Getty/Texaco for a couple of decades, primarily in the truck stop sector. He always said the best places were very well lit, very clean, and had good food. As you said, it can be packed and you won't wait in line to check out more that a minute or two at most. They are a cash flow machine.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Geno is the Fire’s boomer though
I ain't a real boomer though,

Never set foot in no Buc-ees.

Hey, you called it right, good gfy too, on that response to camuglia by the dude with 100 posts or so!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (35, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, Amos63, 16 invisible), 1,581 guests, and 870 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,941
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.