Home
Posted By: djb Buc-ee's - 02/19/24
People seem to get a excited over these mega gas stations. Wawa, Sheets, etc. ..Wawa does make a good sandwich but I never saw the fascination. Well, we were visiting friends in Houston and drove out to the Hill Country. We stopped at Buc-ee's. I have to admit it was a cool store. Warm candied pecans, jerky everywhere, hunting supplies, and a pretty darn good brisket sandwich. Very clean bathrooms. Impressive and blows the other truck stops away IMHO. Texans got a good thing going there.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
I will not let my butthole pucker in the bowl of any other establishment.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
Originally Posted by djb
Texans got a good thing going there.

FYI, they're all over the south, from TX to Florida.
Posted By: EdM Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
They are supposed to be building one here outside of Boerne.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
What? Texas and no feeder corn for sale?
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
Originally Posted by 1minute

They've got feeders, and corn.
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by djb

They started with a single convenience store near Lake Jackson, TX. The rest is history. They are marketing geniuses.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
Big, clean bathrooms said my wife
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
Originally Posted by djb
People seem to get a excited over these mega gas stations. Wawa, Sheets, etc. ..Wawa does make a good sandwich but I never saw the fascination. Well, we were visiting friends in Houston and drove out to the Hill Country. We stopped at Buc-ee's. I have to admit it was a cool store. Warm candied pecans, jerky everywhere, hunting supplies, and a pretty darn good brisket sandwich. Very clean bathrooms. Impressive and blows the other truck stops away IMHO. Texans got a good thing going there.

F Buc-ee's.

And they are NOT a truck stop!

Despite their size, they are adamant that trucks are NOT welcome.
F' you truckers if you gotta poop, want a coffee, or are hungry.
(It's OK for a truck to deliver fuel, food, soda, beer, snacks....)

Never been to one,
as much as I'd like to I wouldn't give them my money.

Dillonbuck, AKA "Sawdust" (A former longhaul driver that appreciated a bathroom and coffee)
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
Never been in one
Posted By: hookeye Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
None around here.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
Worlds most expensive bathroom break
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by djb

F Buc-ee's.

Never been to one,

Dillonbuck, AKA "Sawdust" (A former longhaul driver that appreciated a bathroom and coffee)

And kudos to them for not allowing trucks/truckers. There are plenty of other truck stops around for them.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by djb

They started with a single convenience store near Lake Jackson, TX. The rest is history. They are marketing geniuses.
I've been in that Lake Jackson store.
Posted By: efw Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
I’m a Kum & Go guy myself
Posted By: Crash_Pad Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
Our local idiots denied a reasonable zoning change for one here that would have completed DOT planned changes gratis to the state. Lost out on $20 Million tax revenue. A little too tacky. So now it’s good for low tax value warehouses only. Brilliant liberals will raise residential taxes instead. Then poor colored folks will be gentrified away. It’s just not fair.
Posted By: Teal Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
Originally Posted by djb

F Buc-ee's.

Never been to one,

And kudos to them for not allowing trucks/truckers. There are plenty of other truck stops around for them.

Except there aren't. 1 parking spot for every 11 trucks in this country.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
Have driven by the one in florence sc many times but have yet to stop in.........hunting supplies?......may have to put it on my bucket list.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
I saw those Buc-ees on I 10 in Texas. Alas, no big rigs allowed.
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
The only one I have been in is at Lake Jackson Tx a few years back while on a hog hunt. It was a smaller one and not too crowded. We stopped by another coming back on 45 on a Sunday afternoon and it looked like a Walmart on Black Friday. I got gas and told the guy with me to go in if he wanted to but I was staying in the truck.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
Don’t really have an opinion either way but around here the “truckers” aren’t the usual overweight, big beer bellied, lot lizard hunting white guys that we’ve grown accustomed to avoiding. Almost all the truckers are ragheads and towel-headed Indians with flip flops and no clue as to safe driving or safe following distance practices. Their truck stops are owned by other towel-heads and I wouldn’t set my ass on anything they called a toilet nor would I eat anything their dirty paws cooked. If I’ve been forced to stop for gas it’s usually best to pay at the pump because the smell of turmeric and body odor is overwhelming.
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by djb

F Buc-ee's.

Never been to one,

That's not Bucees' problem.
Posted By: Teal Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
Originally Posted by djb

F Buc-ee's.

Never been to one,

Didn't say it was but you claim there "plenty of other truck stops around for them" which isn't a Buc-ees' thing either yet it's wrong. It's demonstrably false that there's enough truck stops/truck parking for truckers.

Dillon's point was they're rather hypocritical. Trucks and drivers are good enough to keep their business going but not good enough to be customers.

Regardless - they all suck compared to a Kwik Trip.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
I love Buc-ee's. Where else can you gas up, grunt one out in a clean restroom and buy a dolphin snow globe and a brisket sandwich in less than 5 minutes.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
Never heard of them
Posted By: djb Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
I didn't realize it was a no trucker zone, and yes there were deer feeders/corn next to the grills in the entrance. My only previous experience was seeing the goofy logo on a T shirt. Really, don't know much except it was a nice clean place. It was a big store not far from San Marcos.
Posted By: TXRam Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
An old boss used to say they are not a gas station, but a store with a gas pump at your parking spot!

Have one of the biggest ones just over a mile from my house in Katy. I go in there maybe once a month, but probably less. I do stop at the one in Bastrop frequently on our way to/from our retirement place as its about midway and not as busy or ridiculous to get in and out of as some of the other large ones.

As far as trucks not being allowed… they can fill the lots/pumps with cars and pickups, why allow trucks that take up several times the space? Also, how many families will stop at a truck stop? My dad is a retired long haul trucker, so I do understand (& hear about it from him frequently).
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
I've been in 3 or 4 different ones.

The gas is cheap, the bathrooms are clean and the coke is cold.

One of the most American things I've ever witnessed.
Posted By: RL Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
Originally Posted by djb

F Buc-ee's.

Never been to one,

Didn't say it was but you claim there "plenty of other truck stops around for them" which isn't a Buc-ees' thing either yet it's wrong. It's demonstrably false that there's enough truck stops/truck parking for truckers.

Dillon's point was they're rather hypocritical. Trucks and drivers are good enough to keep their business going but not good enough to be customers.

Prayers sent...
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
The next time you go in one, notice that the merchandise is not sold at Walmart.
Posted By: Westman Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
Originally Posted by djb

F Buc-ee's.

Never been to one,

This is for certain. Kwik Trip is the class of the c-store industry by far.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
The way I understand it, it's supposed to be
a "clean " " family" place where the kids can
cajole mom and dad into spending a bunch
of cash in the store.
That's probably why they don't want the wandering
bj sales girls in cutoffs roaming everywhere,
then washing the fluids off in the bathroom sink.
Only stopped at one twice at the behest of my
young relative that was riding with me.
The food we got was ok, a bit pricey to me.
Gasoline was reasonable.

To me it's what Bass Amateur Shop would be
if they sold gas and fast food
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I love Buc-ee's. Where else can you gas up, grunt one out in a clean restroom and buy a dolphin snow globe and a brisket sandwich in less than 5 minutes.
Someone's been eating their fiber. And not looking at their phone on the throne.
Posted By: Skeezix Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24

Ain't no way! You can hardly make it from the pumps to the bathroom in the ones around here in less than five minutes, unless you're moving at a very fast walk or slow jog. And God help you if you've got one dentin' your drawers when you pull in. Forget the gas for now, park close to a door and pray your puckerin' string holds out. But, when you do get there, the bathrooms are very clean.

The two Buc-EE's closest to me have at least 120 pumps, each.
Posted By: AlleghenyMountain Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
They broke ground on one at Mount Crawford, VA, right outside of Harrisonburg a few weeks ago. About 20 miles from me.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
Originally Posted by efw
Soon to be a Maverik man.
Posted By: Muffin Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
Heard about the Buc-ees 'rage' ...... they have one on I75 somewhere near Macon, IIRC.....

Stopped once, that was the last time too, I don't get it, 200+ gas pumps is not a plus IMHO....

I got cussed out on the way to the mens room!?!?!?

The sodas were cheap, the rest not so much, as I recall.

YMMV
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
[bleep] Buccees!

I used to always stop at a Buccees......

On my move to Texas, after stopping and filling up my pick-up with Diesel and getting some snacks, I was so tired I was afraid of falling asleep at the wheel. Drove to a far corner (had my trailer attached) and leaned my seat back for a quick nap to take the edge off.

In no time at all, I felt this light sensation on my face. I sat up to find a Police cruiser parked next to me with overheads on, and the officer told me that management of Buccees had called them on me. No sleeping allowed in their parking lots! They wanted me removed immediately.

Guess it's better that a customer should wreck his vehicle and die than to grab a quick nap in a corner of their barren parking lot at 2:00 am!

Frog----OUT!
Posted By: viking Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
I looked the last time I was at the Denton location for the tee shirt that has the be logo and says; everybody loves the beaver.😆
Posted By: slumlord Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
Buc cees is awesome

Dont be a 79 year old gkunt that never leaves the recliner
Originally Posted by frogman43
[bleep] Buccees!

I used to always stop at a Buccees......

On my move to Texas, after stopping and filling up my pick-up with Diesel and getting some snacks, I was so tired I was afraid of falling asleep at the wheel. Drove to a far corner (had my trailer attached) and leaned my seat back for a quick nap to take the edge off.

In no time at all, I felt this light sensation on my face. I sat up to find a Police cruiser parked next to me with overheads on, and the officer told me that management of Buccees had called them on me. No sleeping allowed in their parking lots! They wanted me removed immediately.

Guess it's better that a customer should wreck his vehicle and die than to grab a quick nap in a corner of their barren parking lot at 2:00 am!

Frog----OUT!
Yeah, that would piss me off some too frog
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
Originally Posted by Muffin
I got cussed out on the way to the mens room!?!?!?

That's quite the accomplishment. I have never managed that.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
They got a beer cave?
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
They sell beer, have good sandwiches, usually cheap gas and clean bathrooms.

Other than that, they’re kinda a PITA. It’s about like dealing with crowds at Walmart
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Other than that, they’re kinda a PITA. It’s about like dealing with crowds at Walmart
Do they get any busloads of rude Oriental tourists in there, clogging up the tater chip aisle and such?
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
Florida is gonna be over run with the damn things
Posted By: ldholton Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
they've built one fairly local to us ( about a 50 minute drive)
but I'm much closer to that quite often but have yet to stop in I might out of convenience but I'm not going out of my way just to go see this mega establishment.

TA truck stops is built a new one which is their headquarters (I think) much closer to us and it's supposed to be the largest truck stop in the country or North America or some [bleep] covers like 72 acres 74 acres or something like that located Mount Vernon Missouri which I am in a lot and I have yet to pull in there
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Do they get any busloads of rude Oriental tourists in there, clogging up the tater chip aisle and such?

Lol. Maybe!
More of your standard mouth breather type that stand in the middle of the aisles while looking all around at the multitude of beetus accelerants.
Posted By: Longbob Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
We have one in the city limits here in Denton. First one I have seen that wasn't originally built outside of the congestion. It is like everyone has described with the clean bathrooms and all. I enjoy stopping by them when we travel.

Only issue I have with their bathrooms is that most of the Buc-ees are so big that I feel the need to go back to the bathroom by the time I make it back to the truck. Dammit.
Posted By: Crash_Pad Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
Buccees is a freak show. Perfect setting for a Tarantino movie or sociology thesis. More inedible stuff than an Indonesian market. An air of madness. Good brisket, yes. Gas same price across the street with no lines at the pumps. Why am I here then? Americans are telling us something....
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
Y'all must go to the gold plated fill up stations.

Classic 24hcf thread.
I’d rather hit a QT.
Posted By: hanco Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
Been in the Lake Jackson store many times, did a job there years ago. They have really big stores now. They have people cleaning all the time.

Lol. Maybe!
More of your standard mouth breather type that stand in the middle of the aisles while looking all around at the multitude of beetus accelerants.
I know the type.

"Lemme see, do I go with the old standby Hostess Ding Dongs or try some of them Little Debbies?"
Posted By: MLC Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
Broke ground on one here in Mississippi on I10 west last year between Long Beach and Pass Christian
Posted By: DaveR Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
Looks like they'll be opening up a 74k sq. ft. one here in AZ, just 2 miles down I-10 from the house.

Never heard of them before the "Californians move to Texas" Buc-ees video, but will certainly check in there when they open. Gotta be better than the current gas stop Circle K down the road.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by efw

Maverik is an improvement to Kum N Go

Originally Posted by ldholton
but I'm much closer to that quite often but have yet to stop in I might out of convenience but I'm not going out of my way just to go see this mega establishment.

TA truck stops is built a new one which is their headquarters (I think) much closer to us and it's supposed to be the largest truck stop in the country or North America or some [bleep] covers like 72 acres 74 acres or something like that located Mount Vernon Missouri which I am in a lot and I have yet to pull in there

The way I understand it, that TA and several other gas stations around there (the one on edge of MTV as headed to Miller, some up in Greenfield, and more) are all owned by that huge Wilmoth Ranch outfit northeast of Mt Vernon. The new one has some pretty good food, including the smoked bologna sandwich.
Posted By: DavePrice Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
I will have to wait until next year to check one out.
Supposed to build a new one near Goodyear AZ!
Link
Posted By: Elkhunter49 Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
I drive I-10 frequently and have stopped at many different Buccees in the past 10 years or so. If you can't get in out of one without needing to piss again then you are the problem.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
None out here, but we do have a bunch of Maverik places. Food cooked on the premises, when you order or in display cases for grab and go. Good, too. Usually the lowest gas nearby. Special lengthened pump lanes for RVs and boats, which is a very nice touch. And clean restrooms.

A lot of service places (like Pilot or Flying J) cater mostly to big rigs, which is fine. Other folks are just a bit "underserved" in that truckers get priority for everything. Again, that's fine - you guys are on schedules. But I will say that truck stops tend to be dirty, run down, and often smelly. Can't say if it's the staff or the clientele, but it's true. I don't loiter at them, and I try not to eat there.
Posted By: Stophel Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
Can't never be as good as Stuckey's was. wink
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/19/24
Originally Posted by Stophel
Can't never be as good as Stuckey's was. wink
How big was Stucky’s Jerky Bar? It must have been pretty small. But the Pecan Log was ok I guess.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
I don't know about all the Buc-ee's, but the one I stop at off of I-75 in N. Texas sells dried venison, it's next to the jerky section.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
Originally Posted by earlybrd
They got a beer cave?
Posted By: ldholton Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by efw

Maverik is an improvement to Kum N Go

Originally Posted by ldholton

The way I understand it, that TA and several other gas stations around there (the one on edge of MTV as headed to Miller, some up in Greenfield, and more) are all owned by that huge Wilmoth Ranch outfit northeast of Mt Vernon. The new one has some pretty good food, including the smoked bologna sandwich.
ta has several truck stops across the Nation I do not think wilmoth owns all of them but they own the one at Mount Vernon and the one that Strafford for sure. they own lots of other stuff across the country but that's all I know for sure and most of their farm stuff as I've done quite a bit of work for them on farm stuff.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
LD-that’s what I was meaning. They own a lot of the local stuff.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
Originally Posted by 1minute
You should try it once.
Posted By: Plumdog Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
Yeah you gotta luv a Kum and Go. I believe that chain started in Wyoming.
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
They're putting one In across from where I work in Virginia. I've been in a few , should be interesting
Originally Posted by AlleghenyMountain
They broke ground on one at Mount Crawford, VA, right outside of Harrisonburg a few weeks ago. About 20 miles from me.
Yep right across from where I work. Moving a lot of dirt now.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: 348winchester Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
They opened one up just South of Macon and my wife was excited. It's about an hour away so we had a date night and drove over. Someone said they had to wait for a gas pump? They have like 140 pumps, I'd find that hard to believe. The brisket was ok, the bathrooms are clean and the snacks are a bit expensive but over all pretty neat. We stoped at one on I-10 in Texas last month coming back from our Javelina and crane hunt. They all look about the same.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
Originally Posted by djb

F Buc-ee's.

Never been to one,

Maybe not in your neck of the woods, but there's a Pilot, Flying J, Petro, or Love's every 5 miles of highway down here. My dad owned a couple of unbranded truck stops when I was a young teenager and had to work there a few years. Where you have truckers you have drugs, whores, and misc BS to put up with. You can have it.

We have Kwik Trip too. They are a flea on a pig's asss compared to Bucees.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
F the truckers?

Damn....that's dumb.

Like aggressively dumb.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
Originally Posted by 348winchester
They opened one up just South of Macon and my wife was excited. It's about an hour away so we had a date night and drove over. Someone said they had to wait for a gas pump? They have like 140 pumps, I'd find that hard to believe. The brisket was ok, the bathrooms are clean and the snacks are a bit expensive but over all pretty neat. We stoped at one on I-10 in Texas last month coming back from our Javelina and crane hunt. They all look about the same.
That sounds like a redneck Super Dollar General with a gas pump at each parking spot.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
Gotta suck to be those homeowners.
I bet the not a truck stop angle helps welcome them into communities better. All the neighbors would be bitching at the planning stage if it was a truck stop.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
I only go to the one in Kentucky when I'm near, because they always have the cheapest gas. They also have the cleanest toilets. If I want a sandwich I run in as fast as I can and get out. It's usually a madhouse. If the gas wasn't the cheapest, I'd never go to a Buc-ees.
Posted By: 12308300 Re: Buc-ee's - 02/20/24
One in fort Worth off i35 and 114 and Denton i35 clean bathrooms, a lot of trickets for the tourists,s don't go there on Friday nights thru Sunday it's a mad house with all the cars driving all over the place. When they have races at the Texas motor speed way in fort Worth coming up i35 north to 114you can't go west on 114 for all the traffic.its blocked off. I just go to the one in Denton right now. Not too bad early in the morning busy around lunch
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
Town Pump for the win

It’s been a long time, but I always stopped at the big Iowa 80 truck stop when I was driving across the country.
Posted By: boatboy Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Worlds most expensive bathroom break

and the longest

The fountain drink wall has everything and also the jerky
I think its something to see but if I lived near one I doubt it would be my daily stop too much going on

Hank
I'm sure those houses will be gone in a year or two. At least the brick house in the foreground is a rental from the same LLC that owns the property where Buccees is going.
Posted By: BrotherBart Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
Those Bucce'Nuggets are the bomb. Can't go there without buying a bag of them.
They also have real gasoline at a couple of them I've visited. No ethanol and my old Chitolay truck gets almost 22mpg.
Posted By: Muffin Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
I don't know about all the Buc-ee's, but the one I stop at off of I-75 in N. Texas sells dried venison, it's next to the jerky section.

I do believe that you were LOST!!!!!!
Posted By: Folically_Challenged Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
I'm a Buc-ee's fan. They take a simple concept, & they execute the hell out of it.

The gas is almost always the cheapest. The pumps work, and are clean. They're never out of DEF. Those locations that have windshield cleaning stuff are well-stocked, and the wiper sticks are always functional.

I never have to wade through sewage on the floor in the men's room - it's always cleaner than a surgical suite. The soap & towel dispensers are always stocked, and I never have to wait for a schidder.

The coffee aint world class, but it's always fresh & consistent at every store I've been to. They're always well-stocked with stuff to dump in the coffee.

The sausage & jerky are done well. The kolaches aren't top-shelf, but they're a solid B+, and outside of a Buc-ee's, I can't find 'em at all when I'm not in TX. Brisket never sucks, though I get my sammies dry there, 'cause I find their sauce too sweet, and too liberally applied.

They must have the greatest corporate training regimen. Every employee I've seen looks like they just stepped out of a shower. They're all in uniform, and it's worn correctly. The women have tastefully applied makeup. Most of all, they all seem to be genuinely happy to be there. I've never had a remotely bad experience with any Buc-ee's employee.

Is it a tourist trap? Abso-damned-LOUTELY. That's a helluva lot of overhead they have to cover. But they bait that trap awfully well, and they always deliver what they promise. No, it would never be my corner store for a loaf o' bread + a 12 pack, but they make my road trips more bearable.

I get the issue that they don't allow OTR trucks, but it's impossible to be all things to all people. Making them even bigger to accommodate trucks would necessitate bigger interchanges, & really snarl entrance & egress. Better to cede that business to Loves/Flying J/Pilot/TA, and focus on what they do best.

Just my $0.03

FC
Posted By: jc189 Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
There gonna build a new one about 20 miles north of me on I-95. I usually stop at one before I get off the interstate on the way to camp. Top off the truck, fill a few gas cans for the 4 wheeler, sxs, and generator. Whats not to like. Cheap gas and clean bathrooms. I grab some beef jerky and a brisket sandwich on the way out so I have something ready to eat when I get to camp.
Well said FC. For the reasons you so well stated, reiterates why I commented that they are marketing geniuses. Not to mention the cheapest bags of ice you'll ever find anywhere, even though they just jacked the price up a few months ago.

Impossible, my hand was on the venison FTMFW laugh
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Town Pump for the win

It’s been a long time, but I always stopped at the big Iowa 80 truck stop when I was driving across the country.

That's some acreage.

So is Little America and Giant.

The last two, probably eclipse Buc-ees in acreage.

JGRaider,
As someone who relied on truckstops for most of my sustenance and sleep,
I've been in a few. Border to border and coast to coast.

Two things lately determine the character of a truckstop.
Exactly like a bar.

Neighborhood,
And management.

You can't manage your way around too much trash.
Typically though, you get the trash you allow.

Clean the damn place daily, keep it neat,
run off the whòres and scammers,
and you won't have much trouble.

Most major interchanges have multiple truckstops.
And they are usually playing different roles.
One will be nice and clean, attract guys who are working for a living.
Stopping for truck and driver fuel, clean shower, uninterrupted sleep.

The other will be scruffy, with scruffy help and clients.
Dirty fuel islands and bathrooms, sometimes good food.
Blizzards crawling the lot and parties and whatnot in the backrow.
CB advertised "Truck Cleaning Services😉😉" in the parking lot.

My wife ran a Truck fueling C-store.
Having driven herself she was sympathetic, and wise.
The place was kept clean, her help that might go out to trucks were fired.
Like anyplace, you get what you allow.

PS. Fuel was the #1 seller but cars outnumbered trucks hugely.
She got many compliments about how clean the place was, from 4-wheeler drivers.
Originally Posted by Troutnut
I'm sure those houses will be gone in a year or two. At least the brick house in the foreground is a rental from the same LLC that owns the property where Buccees is going.
Interesting, that makes some sense. That LLC will make more than enough I'm guessing to cover the loss of rent.

Was that empty land before the work started or did they tear out other houses/businesses?
Posted By: tzone Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
F’n boomers. Lol
Geno is the Fire’s boomer though
Originally Posted by tzone
F’n boomers. Lol

Don't get between me and my Buc-ee's restroom!!
Posted By: Scotty Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
They just opened a Buc-ee in Springfield, MO. I took prefer Kwik Trip
I’ll stop at QT just for food
Posted By: boatboy Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
Maybe not the best but I want some brisket right now after reading this

Hank
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
Originally Posted by Scotty
They just opened a Buc-ee in Springfield, MO. I took prefer Kwik Trip

Always liked QT.
Good food.

They didn't discriminate against us dirty, hairy palmed, cigar chewing truckers.
😉
Posted By: Muffin Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24

Impossible, my hand was on the venison FTMFW laugh

I just wasn't aware that I-75 had an exit in Texas?????
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
There are truck stops at almost every exit here in the south, plenty of places that cater to truckers. Buc-ee's doesn't want big rigs cluttering up the parking lot and blocking their paying customers, they want travelers coming in and out quickly which is what I want to do also. It's annoying as hell to try to pay for a coke & potato chips at a truck stop and getting behind a trucker paying for fuel who takes 10 minutes to give 47 pages of information to the cashier to charge their fuel. I've never waited more than 30 seconds for a cashier to open up at a Buc-ee's. They cater to families and the bathrooms are spotlessly maintained, they know that Mama decides where to stop and they don't want to walk into a place where some beer bellied trucker who can't see his pecker has pissed all over the toilet seat. Notice Buc-ee's doesn't have tables and chairs inside either, everything is grab and go, they want the customers in and out quickly.

I'm sure truckers are welcome at Buc-ee's just like anyone else, just not while driving their rigs. There are a gazillion truck stops, go to one of them and leave the rest of us a decent place to stop.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
There are truck stops at almost every exit here in the south, plenty of places that cater to truckers. Buc-ee's doesn't want big rigs cluttering up the parking lot and blocking their paying customers, they want travelers coming in and out quickly which is what I want to do also. It's annoying as hell to try to pay for a coke & potato chips at a truck stop and getting behind a trucker paying for fuel who takes 10 minutes to give 47 pages of information to the cashier to charge their fuel. I've never waited more than 30 seconds for a cashier to open up at a Buc-ee's. They cater to families and the bathrooms are spotlessly maintained, they know that Mama decides where to stop and they don't want to walk into a place where some beer bellied trucker who can't see his pecker has pissed all over the toilet seat. Notice Buc-ee's doesn't have tables and chairs inside either, everything is grab and go, they want the customers in and out quickly.

I'm sure truckers are welcome at Buc-ee's just like anyone else, just not while driving their rigs. There are a gazillion truck stops, go to one of them and leave the rest of us a decent place to stop.

Couldn't say it better myself, even though I tried! The cleanest truck stop in America don't hold a candle to Bucees. My dad was in marketing with Skelly Oil Co/Getty/Texaco for a couple of decades, primarily in the truck stop sector. He always said the best places were very well lit, very clean, and had good food. As you said, it can be packed and you won't wait in line to check out more that a minute or two at most. They are a cash flow machine.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Geno is the Fire’s boomer though
I ain't a real boomer though,

Never set foot in no Buc-ees.

Hey, you called it right, good gfy too, on that response to camuglia by the dude with 100 posts or so!
Posted By: Lslite Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
I stop for ice, non ethanol gas, and maybe a case of beer. Almost never go inside unless I have to because of the high prices on everything else and the damn tourists.
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Interesting, that makes some sense. That LLC will make more than enough I'm guessing to cover the loss of rent.

Was that empty land before the work started or did they tear out other houses/businesses?
Been corn , soybeans for the 20 years I've worked across the road. Buccess is the only thing confirmed but it's a 108 acre field according to ONX . I'm sure it will be quite a few things there before it's done
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
I like Buc’ees.

If you are traveling with a family, you know it’s

Going to be safe..
Well lit
Clean
They buy enough acreage to keep sketchy elements away.
Great food for a gas station
Great place to stretch your legs after being on the road.
Employees act like they are wanting to be there.
Posted By: JD338 Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
They are very nice. Been to Buck ees in Alabama, Florida and Georgia.
Friendly atmosphere and very clean. I like the brisket sandwich and the jerky selection.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
I drove over the road for 8 years, and spent the night at truck stops about 300 times per year.

Some truck drivers are real pigs, and leave nasty messes in bathrooms and parking lots. If you have 100 trucks parking, and just 2 percent of the drivers are pigs, there you have several nasty messes every morning. Only 2 percent slobs gave all of us a bad name. I don't blame Buc-ees for not allowing trucks. Plus trucks take up a lot of room. Plus, just for lunch, trucks take a 30 minute break, a 30 minute break is mandated by law. Also, when a truck parks at 7pm he will be there for 10 hours, mandated by law. That is a lot of parking space for a long time.

Buc-ees has their business model and obviously it works for them.

I spent the night at the TA in Laredo about 50 times per year, and like most TAs, they did not sell beer. The Flying J across the street sold lots of beer. I guess TA is owned by Muslims or something.
Posted By: Winchester21 Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
The WalMart of gas stations.
Posted By: djb Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
Originally Posted by Winchester21
The WalMart of gas stations.

Not at all. Walmart on opening day isn’t as clean as the Buc-exes and there wasn’t crap stored in the isles, or a bunch of employees who looked liked their face fell into a tackle box.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
Ok, buccees is great but let's not go overboard on the brisket.

It's serviceable for a gas station, but not worthy of high praise.
Posted By: 12308300 Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
The employees are polite and helpful when you walk in if everyone was that way america would be a better place
Posted By: Elkhunter49 Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

The brisket is just ok but the Jerky is top shelf...... the black pepper garlic is very good.
Posted By: killerv Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
Ga just got its first a year or so back. I like it and usually stop in when down that way. There can be 100 folks in the store and there is always a cashier open instead of waiting in a line. The chopped brisket sandwich is pretty good, at least they pile the meat on it. They have a higher octane non ethanol gas and all the boat guys love it. I think they are building one now somewhere in SE Ga.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
The fellow that started Buc-ees is from Louisiana. So the story goes, his first store was in Tx, where he grew up. Across the street from his store was another station that sold gas and sold it for $0.10 per gallon cheaper, but the Buc-ee's store had people lined up to buy gas, while this fellow struggled.

The struggling fellow came over one day and asked the owner of Buc-ee's what he was doing to be able to sell gas at a higher price. The answer was, "How clean are your restrooms".

Dont know if the story is true or not.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
They also have mini Buc-ees under a few different names backed by diversionary partners and companies to sneak into areas not Buc-ees friendly.

All of the products made by the same companies with different labels.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
I’ve encountered less trash fuggin with me at Buc-ees and the mini ones so I’m all in
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
Originally Posted by Oldman03
The struggling fellow came over one day and asked the owner of Buc-ee's what he was doing to be able to sell gas at a higher price. The answer was, "How clean are your restrooms".

If a female in your vehicle needs a restroom while you're pumping gas at a Texas gas station then your choices are Buc-ee's, a national chain truck stop or the Black Hole of Calcutta.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I like Buc’ees.

Going to be safe..
Well lit
Clean

This is a great summary. Some of their stuff is a bit pricey, but given that the employees are well paid and friendly, I am happy to spend a few bucks extra on a pit stop for all of that.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
FWIW Buc-ee's owner donates heavily to conservative politicians and is very generous with his money. He spent time as the chair of Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission. I have heard, but am not certain, that he donated to the acquisition of the Texas Game Warden Academy property and the buildings on it.
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
I’ve encountered less trash fuggin with me at Buc-ees and the mini ones so I’m all in

Yep, I agree
I like Buc’ees.

Going to be safe..
Well lit
Clean

This is a great summary. Some of their stuff is a bit pricey, but given that the employees are well paid and friendly, I am happy to spend a few bucks extra on a pit stop for all of that.

Exactly
Posted By: Lslite Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
I usually stop at Joel's in Flatonia for bbq unless the parking lot is too full. Tried a chopped brisket sandwich at Prasecks in Sealy this year and it was disgusting ! Was truly the worst attempt at bbq I've ever come across and half of it went in the trash. Their store is nice and clean, but pretty much a copy of Bucees.
Posted By: lee440 Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
Joel's pork sandwich has been my go-to for over thirty years.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/20/24
I am a strong, independent Boomer.

I hate being around people and crowds.

I haven't seen a TV in 78 years.

....spend all my time in a giant box filled with people because the potty is cleaner than any other potty in all of the other giant densely populated boxes I haven't set foot in in 78 years.

I think that's about it.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/21/24
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

....spend all my time in a giant box filled with people because the potty is cleaner than any other potty in all of the other giant densely populated boxes I haven't set foot in in 78 years.

I think that's about it.

I shake my boomer fist at you, ya dang yungster.
Posted By: EdM Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/21/24

I think that's about it.

You continue to sink Jim. Still handloading the 25-06 AI you started here with?
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/21/24
Yes...and at least Geno participates.

Geeze.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/21/24
Never heard of them

neither had I until I took a trip back east in December. Stopped and got gas at one in Oklahoma, then one in Crossville TN, and then one east of Knoxville TN. Like 120 gas pumps. The last one east of Knoxville, they were pumping regular for $2.26 a gallon.

They had a great pulled pork sandwich for like $7.50, but I think they throw away more than they sell. If they are old than 30 minutes or so old, they pull them and trash them. They were taking them and donating them to old folks home and places like that... but someone took them to court and claimed it made them sick.. and won.

so instead they just trash them now.

Think of them like the old Stucky's but on a Grand Walmart scale.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/21/24
Originally Posted by tjm10025

If a female in your vehicle needs a restroom while you're pumping gas at a Texas gas station then your choices are Buc-ee's, a national chain truck stop or the Black Hole of Calcutta.

Things have changed, but still need to improve.
Public bathrooms in the south have a well deserved reputation.
Hell, places used to advertise "Clean Restrooms". Because that set them apart.

Wife old store was ancient and run down, but the shabby schìttèrs were kept spotless.
Despite how worn they were, folks noticed, and often commented on it.

Sheets is funny.
Fancy, shiny stores. Same with their trucks.
Putting on the big show.
Go take a poop after dinnertime in one, paper everywhere, sink all hogged up,
a snazzy bathroom tgat looks like a bomb went off. Look close, and it's fresh.
I'm told they only clean at night, I believe it.
Somehow it works for them, their stores are magnets.
Folks flock, despite high prices and slow checkouts. The food is pretty good.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/21/24
The fellow that started Buc-ees is from Louisiana. So the story goes, his first store was in Tx, where he grew up. Across the street from his store was another station that sold gas and sold it for $0.10 per gallon cheaper, but the Buc-ee's store had people lined up to buy gas, while this fellow struggled.

He was born in TX. This tells the story.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/buc-ees-the-path-to-world-domination/

...Aplin expects smiles and attentive service in exchange. There’s no sitting on the job and no using cellphones. Like cast members in an elaborate theatrical production, employees also must adhere to certain wardrobe and grooming standards. They are not allowed to display visible tattoos or body piercings. Men are prohibited from having long hair; nobody can have unnaturally colored hair. There are no open-toed shoes, no torn or faded clothing.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/21/24
Building one near us now. They’re also building a sheetz on the other side of the interstate from it, and that’s where I’ll likely go. Wife will drive 20 minutes and burn $4 worth of gas to buy gas at costco to save .5c so no way she’ll go there.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/21/24
When ever I see a buc-ee, the first thing that runs through my mind oddly enough, is I wonder just how much copper wire it took to rope out that big store and all those gas pumps. I’d like to know.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/21/24
...Aplin expects smiles and attentive service in exchange. There’s no sitting on the job and no using cellphones. Like cast members in an elaborate theatrical production, employees also must adhere to certain wardrobe and grooming standards. They are not allowed to display visible tattoos or body piercings. Men are prohibited from having long hair; nobody can have unnaturally colored hair. There are no open-toed shoes, no torn or faded clothing.

One of my brothers manages a business on Hilton Head Island that is run much like the above.

Probably 90% of the folk here have seen someone wearing a T-shirt advertising the business.

The owner has made it, bigly.
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/21/24
A Buc-ees store opened up on I-65 just a little south of Athens Alabama a few months ago. I made my first and last visit there a couple of months ago. Gas was a little cheaper than average, but making a 5 mile hike through a crowd of people to the restroom, no matter how clean, was a disappointment. The main ingredient in their "pulled pork" sandwich seems to be sugar- - - - -not exactly how I learned to smoke pork back in the 1960s, and there are no leftovers when I provide the BBQ a couple of times a year at our local American Legion meeting. This Friday's Karaoke there will feature my pulled pork and smoked chicken leg quarters- - - - -and the post will make a tidy profit, I'm sure.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/21/24
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
A Buc-ees store opened up on I-65 just a little south of Athens Alabama a few months ago. I made my first and last visit there a couple of months ago. Gas was a little cheaper than average, but making a 5 mile hike through a crowd of people to the restroom, no matter how clean, was a disappointment. The main ingredient in their "pulled pork" sandwich seems to be sugar- - - - -not exactly how I learned to smoke pork back in the 1960s, and there are no leftovers when I provide the BBQ a couple of times a year at our local American Legion meeting. This Friday's Karaoke there will feature my pulled pork and smoked chicken leg quarters- - - - -and the post will make a tidy profit, I'm sure.

I stopped at that one last week, there were very few people there.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/21/24
It's a different story at the fairly new one on I-40 @ 407 in Tenn.
I'm by it 5-6 times monthly and it's always packed.

I did my obligatory 1st stop last fall for a brisket sammy[dry].

A very good sammy for 'In & out' while on the road.

Beaver Nugs.......no thanks.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/21/24
We don’t have them here. Sheetz has taken over here in the last 2-3 years. Clean (depending on the neighborhood and employees), good food, generally lowest gas prices etc.

Ron
Posted By: rost495 Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/21/24
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Everyone has their thing. Its a fast food joint though. Crowds to the bathroom. We stop at one thats having the worlds largest built right behind it. Its EASY to walk right into a clean bathroom. No big deal.

As to the food, its tasty enough and quick IE Ready to go and somewhat reasonably priced assuming the Biden inflation. And its always fresh enough

Now If I was going into a nice sit down type restaurant I'd expect a bit more probably. But really don't do that.

So is the legion on a big interstate? Has cheap enough gas and ice and corn for my feeders? Quick in and out like Bucees? But it probably does have better pulled pork. Of course the taste of all that kind of stuff is totally up to each individuals palate too...
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Buc-ee'sd - 02/21/24

He was born in TX. This tells the story.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/buc-ees-the-path-to-world-domination/

No open toed shoes?

Rules me out for working there.

Oh yeah, my long hair and unruly facial hair.

Too bad, they'd have lost out on an exceptional employee who doesn't adhere to 1950's standards of grooming.
Posted By: Craigster Re: Buc-ee'sd - 03/01/24
F’n boomers. Lol

F'n moron. Lol
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Buc-ee'sd - 03/01/24
Was in the seveierville exit 407 store a few days ago…

Hol.e.chit

Traffic to get in. Traffic to get out.

Got my jerky and brisket sammich and rolled out.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Buc-ee'sd - 03/01/24
I’ve never seen a Bucee’s. Is he a retarded cousin of Bruce?
Posted By: Seafire Re: Buc-ee'sd - 03/01/24
Was in the seveierville exit 407 store a few days ago…

Hol.e.chit

Traffic to get in. Traffic to get out.

Got my jerky and brisket sammich and rolled out.

Yeah I was in that same place back in December twice... once east bound and once west bound. Visited family back home in Virginia and then up to New England and then back down to West Virginia, stopped there both times. Paid $2.26 a gallon for fuel on the way south to I 40, which I took all the way across country to Kingman AZ, and then up US 95 toward southern Oregon. Cheapest place I got fuel on the entire trip ( 10,000 miles). Most expensive fuel I paid for was when I left southern Oregon and when I filled up after returning home to southern Oregon.

I stopped at 2 other Bucees on I 40, in Crossville TN and one in Oklahoma. Had a pulled pork Sandwich at all 6 stops.

And went in and enjoyed their clean restroom stalls. Biggest bathrooms I've ever been in... Plenty of gas pumps and plenty of toilets... smile
Posted By: tzone Re: Buc-ee'sd - 03/01/24
Drove by one by Tampa last week. F' that place. And read where they don't let rigs in there? Double F'em. The truckers that deliver the fuel there should tell them to piss off.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Buc-ee'sd - 03/01/24
Drove by one by Tampa last week. F' that place. And read where they don't let rigs in there? Double F'em. The truckers that deliver the fuel there should tell them to piss off.

Yeah along with the truckers carrying merchandise too!

Teach them MF'rs a lesson!

On the other hand I ask: Have you stopped at one?

The couple of times that I have it's hard enough maneuvering in a truck/suv in the parking lots.

Like driving in a ant community that's on full alert.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Buc-ee'sd - 03/01/24
I am a real meanie....but for all the Fudds who hate people and crowds so much because they are strong independent boomers......Bucees is okay?
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Buc-ee'sd - 03/01/24
I guess until Bill's grocery and tire starts selling Beaver Nuggets......it'll have to be.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Buc-ee'sd - 03/01/24
I am a real meanie....but for all the Fudds who hate people and crowds so much because they are strong independent boomers......Bucees is okay?
It's ok, decent food and clean restrooms but other than that nothing special.
© 24hourcampfire