Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I usually stop at Joel's in Flatonia for bbq unless the parking lot is too full. Tried a chopped brisket sandwich at Prasecks in Sealy this year and it was disgusting ! Was truly the worst attempt at bbq I've ever come across and half of it went in the trash. Their store is nice and clean, but pretty much a copy of Bucees.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Joel's pork sandwich has been my go-to for over thirty years.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I am a strong, independent Boomer.

I hate being around people and crowds.

I haven't seen a TV in 78 years.

....spend all my time in a giant box filled with people because the potty is cleaner than any other potty in all of the other giant densely populated boxes I haven't set foot in in 78 years.

I think that's about it.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

....spend all my time in a giant box filled with people because the potty is cleaner than any other potty in all of the other giant densely populated boxes I haven't set foot in in 78 years.

I think that's about it.

I shake my boomer fist at you, ya dang yungster.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I think that's about it.

You continue to sink Jim. Still handloading the 25-06 AI you started here with?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Yes...and at least Geno participates.

Geeze.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Never heard of them

neither had I until I took a trip back east in December. Stopped and got gas at one in Oklahoma, then one in Crossville TN, and then one east of Knoxville TN. Like 120 gas pumps. The last one east of Knoxville, they were pumping regular for $2.26 a gallon.

They had a great pulled pork sandwich for like $7.50, but I think they throw away more than they sell. If they are old than 30 minutes or so old, they pull them and trash them. They were taking them and donating them to old folks home and places like that... but someone took them to court and claimed it made them sick.. and won.

so instead they just trash them now.

Think of them like the old Stucky's but on a Grand Walmart scale.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by Oldman03
The struggling fellow came over one day and asked the owner of Buc-ee's what he was doing to be able to sell gas at a higher price. The answer was, "How clean are your restrooms".

If a female in your vehicle needs a restroom while you're pumping gas at a Texas gas station then your choices are Buc-ee's, a national chain truck stop or the Black Hole of Calcutta.

Things have changed, but still need to improve.
Public bathrooms in the south have a well deserved reputation.
Hell, places used to advertise "Clean Restrooms". Because that set them apart.

Wife old store was ancient and run down, but the shabby schìttèrs were kept spotless.
Despite how worn they were, folks noticed, and often commented on it.

Sheets is funny.
Fancy, shiny stores. Same with their trucks.
Putting on the big show.
Go take a poop after dinnertime in one, paper everywhere, sink all hogged up,
a snazzy bathroom tgat looks like a bomb went off. Look close, and it's fresh.
I'm told they only clean at night, I believe it.
Somehow it works for them, their stores are magnets.
Folks flock, despite high prices and slow checkouts. The food is pretty good.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The fellow that started Buc-ees is from Louisiana. So the story goes, his first store was in Tx, where he grew up. Across the street from his store was another station that sold gas and sold it for $0.10 per gallon cheaper, but the Buc-ee's store had people lined up to buy gas, while this fellow struggled.

The struggling fellow came over one day and asked the owner of Buc-ee's what he was doing to be able to sell gas at a higher price. The answer was, "How clean are your restrooms".

Dont know if the story is true or not.

He was born in TX. This tells the story.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/buc-ees-the-path-to-world-domination/

...Aplin expects smiles and attentive service in exchange. There’s no sitting on the job and no using cellphones. Like cast members in an elaborate theatrical production, employees also must adhere to certain wardrobe and grooming standards. They are not allowed to display visible tattoos or body piercings. Men are prohibited from having long hair; nobody can have unnaturally colored hair. There are no open-toed shoes, no torn or faded clothing.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Building one near us now. They’re also building a sheetz on the other side of the interstate from it, and that’s where I’ll likely go. Wife will drive 20 minutes and burn $4 worth of gas to buy gas at costco to save .5c so no way she’ll go there.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
When ever I see a buc-ee, the first thing that runs through my mind oddly enough, is I wonder just how much copper wire it took to rope out that big store and all those gas pumps. I’d like to know.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
...Aplin expects smiles and attentive service in exchange. There’s no sitting on the job and no using cellphones. Like cast members in an elaborate theatrical production, employees also must adhere to certain wardrobe and grooming standards. They are not allowed to display visible tattoos or body piercings. Men are prohibited from having long hair; nobody can have unnaturally colored hair. There are no open-toed shoes, no torn or faded clothing.

One of my brothers manages a business on Hilton Head Island that is run much like the above.

Probably 90% of the folk here have seen someone wearing a T-shirt advertising the business.

The owner has made it, bigly.

FJB & FJT
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
A Buc-ees store opened up on I-65 just a little south of Athens Alabama a few months ago. I made my first and last visit there a couple of months ago. Gas was a little cheaper than average, but making a 5 mile hike through a crowd of people to the restroom, no matter how clean, was a disappointment. The main ingredient in their "pulled pork" sandwich seems to be sugar- - - - -not exactly how I learned to smoke pork back in the 1960s, and there are no leftovers when I provide the BBQ a couple of times a year at our local American Legion meeting. This Friday's Karaoke there will feature my pulled pork and smoked chicken leg quarters- - - - -and the post will make a tidy profit, I'm sure.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
A Buc-ees store opened up on I-65 just a little south of Athens Alabama a few months ago. I made my first and last visit there a couple of months ago. Gas was a little cheaper than average, but making a 5 mile hike through a crowd of people to the restroom, no matter how clean, was a disappointment. The main ingredient in their "pulled pork" sandwich seems to be sugar- - - - -not exactly how I learned to smoke pork back in the 1960s, and there are no leftovers when I provide the BBQ a couple of times a year at our local American Legion meeting. This Friday's Karaoke there will feature my pulled pork and smoked chicken leg quarters- - - - -and the post will make a tidy profit, I'm sure.

I stopped at that one last week, there were very few people there.

Last edited by TimberRunner; 02/21/24.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
It's a different story at the fairly new one on I-40 @ 407 in Tenn.
I'm by it 5-6 times monthly and it's always packed.

I did my obligatory 1st stop last fall for a brisket sammy[dry].

A very good sammy for 'In & out' while on the road.

Beaver Nugs.......no thanks.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We don’t have them here. Sheetz has taken over here in the last 2-3 years. Clean (depending on the neighborhood and employees), good food, generally lowest gas prices etc.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Everyone has their thing. Its a fast food joint though. Crowds to the bathroom. We stop at one thats having the worlds largest built right behind it. Its EASY to walk right into a clean bathroom. No big deal.

As to the food, its tasty enough and quick IE Ready to go and somewhat reasonably priced assuming the Biden inflation. And its always fresh enough

Now If I was going into a nice sit down type restaurant I'd expect a bit more probably. But really don't do that.

So is the legion on a big interstate? Has cheap enough gas and ice and corn for my feeders? Quick in and out like Bucees? But it probably does have better pulled pork. Of course the taste of all that kind of stuff is totally up to each individuals palate too...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
The fellow that started Buc-ees is from Louisiana. So the story goes, his first store was in Tx, where he grew up. Across the street from his store was another station that sold gas and sold it for $0.10 per gallon cheaper, but the Buc-ee's store had people lined up to buy gas, while this fellow struggled.

Dont know if the story is true or not.

He was born in TX. This tells the story.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/buc-ees-the-path-to-world-domination/

No open toed shoes?

Rules me out for working there.

Oh yeah, my long hair and unruly facial hair.

Too bad, they'd have lost out on an exceptional employee who doesn't adhere to 1950's standards of grooming.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by tzone
F’n boomers. Lol

F'n moron. Lol

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was in the seveierville exit 407 store a few days ago…

Hol.e.chit

Traffic to get in. Traffic to get out.

Got my jerky and brisket sammich and rolled out.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (AKislander, 300_savage, 69sportfury, 17CalFan, Alan_C, 8 invisible), 1,558 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,573
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.