Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I
iskra Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
In an almost instantly prior Thread of this Forum concerning a suspect Model 1895 Savage, a few brief Posts mentioning the Remington Model 14, a Pump Action centerfire rifle made from the early teens of the Twentieth Century to just-into the latter half of that Century. Considering the "Remington" brand was a respected mainstream American arms manufacturer continuously from mid 19th Century to demise some few years ago, there is little "Forum Voice" for the brand nowadays. The "Remington Society" should and does purport such representation. Factually only to view their 'Rifles Post 1998 Production' you see a Web destination of 'participation lite'. The 'Why?', is another issue and not to go there, but facts are facts. I'd propose to offer occasional "shelter" to Remington collectors and fans here and 'if warranted', perhaps a "General Collector Purposed Rifle Forum here within warmth of "The Fire!"

My view as these first half prior Century Models as something of the "Swiss Watch" of such era rifles. They were sound and sturdy, but somewhat complex. The motion of pump actions is perhaps the "most natural" lineal movement as literally pulling the rifle into shoulder in linear movement. A "straight pull rifle" the equivalent but pump design with the distinct advantage of simultaneously supporting the rifle as a natural consequence of hand placement. That ergonomic positioning made the pump rifle unique as advantageous. The Remington rifles of reference here, were exactly such Model. Yet of two principal shortcomings. The design wasn't reasonably accommodating of high pressure loads such as the rising to high civilian popularity of the 30-06 cartridge. Thus, consigned to the "light to mid-duty chamberings. Indeed, beyond some experimenting, only the four Remington proprietary cartridges were chambered: .25 Remington, .30 Remington, .32 Remington and .35 Remington rounds. Ironically, the Remington Model 30 (Enfield based) was also chambered in these rounds as well as the larger class heavier rounds.

The Model 14 came along in both 22" barrelled rifle and 18" Carbines. The latter with straight grip stock. Early 14 Models were also available in a sub-variation termed the Model 14 1/2 in chamberings of 38/40 and 44/40. Thus Remington 'functionally' wanted to capture part of the Winchester Model 1892 and ballistic equivalent Winchester Models 1894 as similarity of pressures and ballistic capabilities. In 1936, the Model 141 succeeded the Model 14, with period of "transitional rifles" utilizing the Model 14 barrel as updated 141 factual actions if some unmarked of Model designation. 141 actions and 14, mix of models as clearing out old production.

The Models 14 & 141 'genre' were basically alike from exterior & user impression. Appearance and ergonomics quite similar. The carbine model persisted in I believe in near single digit specimens; recollections not clear on that nor of any such in Model 141 with the straight stock persisting. One prominent feature of both Models as ALL with takedown features. Especially in the Carbine package a particularly compact and slim resulting package presented. These rifles in prewar context, very nicely made, available in several Grades and accommodating a very nice small aft rising "Tang" sight inconspicuous factory holes.

The 'net' concerning these rifles, as noted, complex, requiring something of a symphony of components playing in harmony as cycling the action of tubular magazine type. Overcoming the hazards of such complexity as doing their job very well as the product of "quality" throughout. And on that point, a sad postscript. "Reputation!" Such of these rifles as well as the Semi-Auto Model 81. Alleged quality said to have slipped considerably in terms of Postwar production. No comment as no personal experience with these late editions, but hearing it often. Whatever! The Model 760 as its successor of the Fifties era. Notably 'curing' the high power vacuum of slide capabilities with a rotating serrated bolt solving that problem. Remington, the Firm passed into the Fifties era as newly invigorated with the new Model 721 and 722 long and medium bolt action centerfire editions in 1948.

A brief moment or recognition to Tom Hemphill, who is a Premier guru of all things Models 14 and 141 and who helped some years ago in my in my understanding of these Models.

A reference here by the late Ken Blausch concerning the Remington 14/141 Carbine which also contains 141 material as in comparison:
https://www.remingtonsociety.org/remington-model-141-carbines/

Moderator: Kindly feel free to delete this Thread if you feel it's too lengthy too far afield, etc., of Savage subject matter.

Best!
John

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the manifesto.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Before I read any of this lengthy post, can I ask if this has anything remotely to do with Savage firearms?

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
My thoughts also !! i guess they were made in the same state !! smile

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
on the same River even!

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
IC B2

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Have we hit rock bottom talking about the R word?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
In this forum yes laugh

My trap gun is a model 31 trap special. I'd say probably the finest pump shotgun ever made, other than being more than a little complicated to disassemble. My quail and pheasant gun for about 30 years was a first year 1100 with skeet stocks. With the upgraded wood it is even nice looking. I used a 700 in 243 for whitetail, mullies and antelope from age 12 until about 10 years ago. That thing can shoot.

So I have a lot of respect for them, at least the older ones. Just not in a Savage forum. LOL. I have wondered why there isn't a sub forum on the 'fire for them.

Last edited by damnesia; 02/22/24.
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
They're slick handling little rifles. I do not own one, but I'd like one in 25 if it ever happens to fall into my lap.

I haven't encountered a huge number of the 14s, but a few I have come across at shops have problems with the elevator not working right (specifically not coming up all the way). Is that a pretty common issue, or has my luck just been bad in finding damaged/worn out specimens?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by damnesia
I have wondered why there isn't a sub forum on the 'fire for them.

That sounds reasonable enough to me.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There’s kind of a sub forum on the Deer hunting forum under the 284 page thread “Pump Rifles and deer”. It shouldn’t be too hard to start a new forum, a couple newbies just started the “.405 aficionados” forum, bringing it over from farcebook. I kinda got into the 141 history researching a 141 Carbine I picked up last fall. Found out from the Remington Society it’s pretty uncommon.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John (Isrka) just ask Rick Bin or anyone in his group (see Contact Us at bottom of the page) if they would set up a Forum for Remington Collectors. There is a Savage and Winchester Collectors Forum so why not a Remington. It would be good if you would then spread the word, in simple English, to let other know that a Forum is available here at the 24 Hour Campfire. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
May I add a little from down under, last year there was a farm clearing sale about 6 hours from where I live we decided to go and stay in a caravan park about an hour from the sale. There were two 141/2 carbines in 44-40 never seen one here before, well things went pear shaped got a late night call re a family issue so went home first thing in the morning and missed the sale. One was in really good condition the other a bit rough number one made $160.00 AUD about $105.00 USD the other $60.00 AUD I was not happy camper as the family thing was a complete beat up. I got the auctioner to contact buy and just put a price on them but no luck.

Can't tell you how much this eats me every time I think about it

Johno

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Remington had the good sense to make the 81 in 300 savage, a great semi auto.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Let’s not be so harsh. I own and hunt with a Remington model 14 in 30 rem made in 1921 that has every bit the quality of my savage 99 in 300 sav that was made in 1934. I love these 2 vintage rifles that still function as well as the day they were made just smoother due to usage. Both great guns in their own right.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
I
iskra Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Hi Rick99 & re concerning a Remington Forum. Think it' potentially a great idea IF FOLKS WILL COME, as you mentioned as also concurring, "coming" contingent on knowing of it and "getting the word out.' Yet another critical half of such formula, the 'manpower' of knowledgeable Members willing to monitor and provide experience/expertise necessary to make it viable! Perhaps involving whatever Remington Brand name successor IF APPROPRIATE.

I have no idea whatsoever in manner of what's required to get a new Forum off the drawing boards. As far as requisite protocol, I'd suggest the Fire membership here as first and most strategic stop. A survey to determine Member interest in a Rem Forum. 'IF' insufficient here as valid cross-section of persons with potential interest; likely to crash & burn. 'If valid, the opportunity of surveying who may be interested as committing to shrivelling such Forum and providing expertise. Expertise conjured as able to answer questions OR assist the person seeking answers as "assisting".

Here, in said context of "word spreading", the entirety of Fire Forum members "getting the word out", helping to launch & 'make a go'.

Personal "disclosure moment" concluding. I've been appropriately characterized as "productive idea man", turned to backhand compliment as noting "not so great follow up as 'rubber meeting the road'. I can assist according to my own "knowledgeable areas, particularly of particular Remington centerfire bolt and pump rifles. I'll happily help as I can, but can't be counted as any "strategic asset"! smile

Good luck with such an endeavour if attempted and advise how I might assist!

Best!
John

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A thank you to you 'iskra' on your Rem 4/114 post. Ya while this is the Savage section of the 24 Hour Forum that mostly discusses Savage 99's, I enjoy the 14/114 Models and the 8/81 semi-auto's. I don't have either a 14 or 114, I enjoy reading about them. I have contemplated getting one or either of the model in 35 Rem caliber, bid on a few at times on GB, but still without. I do have and reload for three Rem 81's (two in 300 Savage, and one in 35 Rem). All are interesting and well made workhorses from the past.

Sort of active on the 'Great Remington 8/81 Forum' but it has gotten to be a rather slow forum. Problem is I basically target shoot with the 81's as I do my Savage 99's as in Iowa the bottle neck calibers are banned for deer hunting. A Remington geared section on the 24 Hour forum might work as there are plenty of shooters shooting/hunting with Rem shooters from back in the day and it is interesting reading about them. Remington bolt and semi-auto rifles/shotguns aren't anything to discount either. Right now if any posts about the older Rem's is looked for you must search through all of the hunting, big game, deer hunting, and other 24 Hour sections for info.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, a new Remington Collectors Forum will live or not depending on who is interested enough to follow through with the idea.

If nothing else, post your idea on the other 24HCF forums and see what interest there is. You never know till you try. This Savage Collectors site originated more than 20 years ago on another website that died. Some of those original members are still here...hundreds have come and gone.

Rick...

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Always had a thing for the carbines

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm sure there'll be interest in it. The thread I referred to on the Deer hunting page has 954,895 views and 2934 replies, most having to do with Remington centerfire pump guns. Add in all the other Remington Arms products and I think you'd have good participation.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The closest I get to this subject is a pair of Model 25's in .25-20 and a Riot Model 31.

Rick...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

179 members (160user, 12344mag, 2UP, 22kHornet, 44mc, 35, 16 invisible), 1,605 guests, and 1,005 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,439
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.