Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
JMHO.

Smallest isn't a good thing.

I have a 365, it's about the smallest thing that can easily be shot well.
Mine came with 12 rounders and the fillers.
I've never wanted 10 rounders, the shorter grip ain't worth the short grip.

Don't get too caught up on "small", within reason bigger is always better.
Small only helps with concealment, and hurts every gun/shooter performance.

Do you carry because the gun is little,
Or do you carry to be able to defend yourself?
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Also agree with the guys that say to try them out first.

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Have a ported Shield that is about as small as I would want to go. If a plus had been on the shelf at the time, I would have snagged that instead. Has been dead nuts reliable. More than I can say for my 5" M&P

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
FWIW: I'd recommend a holster for whatever gun you choose. Keeps some gunk out it and disguises it a little; but mainly keeps it pointed in the right direction.

Last edited by Rangersedge; 02/19/24.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I can add this since the thread came back up I've got a Springfield hellcat Pro have only shot it like 200 rounds but it's been absolutely flawless. but I'm sure there's smaller pistols that have worked just as good.
they may not be as use your friendly but they probably work as good..

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Glock 43

Had one. NOT reliable. NOT accurate. Do NOT have it anymore.

(One thing I found .. +P ammo was less unreliable than standard pressure .. though still a long ways short of good.)

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
Originally Posted by RHClark
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by FreeMe
I don't know if you can get them for the CM9. At any rate, the front sight isn't dovetailed, so changing isn't so easy. They are available on the PM9 though. Currently, there are P-series Kahrs with a light/laser rail (actually labeled S series), but not any of the micros.

Snap off the front plastic sight with a pliers and there are two holes in the slide. The replacement sight will have two legs to fit the holes, with the rear one threaded. Loctite and insert screw from the bottom.

That seems simple enough. Thanks, JOG. Now if I just knew where to get those night sights.
And this is why one might want to go with the PM instead of the CM. I'm still searching for night sights.

I saw a CM somewhere in the last few days that had night sights when I was checking prices. It might have come up from Guns International.
"And this is why one might want to go with the PM instead of the CM."
When weighing the cost of the P/PM_ over the CW/M_ series consider the cost of night sights and that you 'generally' get two additional magazines (w/ the P/PM series).

"Now if I just knew where to get those night sights."
Link to Kahr's night sights; https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/parts-accessories/kahr-arms/sights/

Specifically this one; https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/f...m-pro-cm-cw-ct-s-series-except-cw380acp/

I think(?) this is the correct screw for the CW/M series front sights, if ordering the sights I'd grab an extra screw... Just in case; https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/kahr-front-night-sight-installation-screw/

Jerry

Also, due to tritium having a limited lifespan, when ordering night sights I usually tell the sales rep that I want the ones with the latest manufacture date.

Hey, just want to thank you and JOG. Ordered and installed the front sight. No real special tools, but it helps if you're built for microsurgery. wink Did it in a tray to reduce the possibility of losing those tiny machine screws.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I am a big fan of my XDs 9mm and carry it often.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A bit of a tangent here since the original topic has been fairly well hashed out. Carrying on a bicycle is a conversation that comes up fairly often. There isn't a great solution. Anything body worn will get drenched with salty sweat. A holster that mounts to the head tube/top tube/down tube junction would allow for a quick draw. For dogs, a revolver with a few rounds of rat shot up front would probably be ideal.

As a dog lover, I DO NOT want to shoot someone's family member. In my experience, the overwhelming number of dogs that chase are doing it for the chase and will quit when I stop. In most cases, I can sprint away from dogs, and that is normally my first course of action. The downside to that is that if they cause a crash, that crash occurs at a higher speed. If I am on an uphill, I'll stop and dismount on the opposite side of the bike.

I have gotten off my bike and chased dogs off the road. Interestingly after doing so, those dogs have never been an issue again. Some of these interactions rely on instinct. So far my instincts have served me well.

One thing is for sure, after an armed encounter with a dog, a bicyclist better be ready for an encounter with the dog owner. Whether that encounter be a weaponized motor vehicle or an armed and angry pet owner. Because of the latter a low capacity small gun that would be fine for dog encounters may no longer be suitable.

R
RHClark Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
A bit of a tangent here since the original topic has been fairly well hashed out. Carrying on a bicycle is a conversation that comes up fairly often. There isn't a great solution. Anything body worn will get drenched with salty sweat. A holster that mounts to the head tube/top tube/down tube junction would allow for a quick draw. For dogs, a revolver with a few rounds of rat shot up front would probably be ideal.

As a dog lover, I DO NOT want to shoot someone's family member. In my experience, the overwhelming number of dogs that chase are doing it for the chase and will quit when I stop. In most cases, I can sprint away from dogs, and that is normally my first course of action. The downside to that is that if they cause a crash, that crash occurs at a higher speed. If I am on an uphill, I'll stop and dismount on the opposite side of the bike.

I have gotten off my bike and chased dogs off the road. Interestingly after doing so, those dogs have never been an issue again. Some of these interactions rely on instinct. So far my instincts have served me well.

One thing is for sure, after an armed encounter with a dog, a bicyclist better be ready for an encounter with the dog owner. Whether that encounter be a weaponized motor vehicle or an armed and angry pet owner. Because of the latter a low capacity small gun that would be fine for dog encounters may no longer be suitable.

Paul, I do agree. I'm not particularly afraid of dogs. Just like you, I have been chased probably hundreds of times. Only once have I been attacked by a dog intent on tasting blood. I usually carry pepper spray, and since a bad crash caused by an attacking dog, I usually dismount to confront any of the possibly serious encounters. I have had one large Pit looking dog only get more aggressive when pepper sprayed though. I won't shoot anybody's dog unless it's absolutely necessary to avoid getting seriously bitten, just like I wouldn't shoot a person unless absolutely necessary.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sig Sauer P225.

If you need more...add the one round extension OR have someone retrain you on how to shoot...accurately.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I don’t carry a micro but in my small town of 7000, I do carry a compact. Mine is the Taurus G3c. It’s a 12+1 mag and comes with 2 extra mags. That’s because I also believe I’m my only protector. If I was concerned about a dog attack, and I know people who have been attacked I’d probably carry a small revolver. But I do know and believe that evil exists out there and never gives you a heads up. Evil plans on surprising us when we are least expecting it. I trust that gun and it’s very reliable.
There are no malls in this town but I do occasionally have to run to the grocery store.
380’s aren’t in this guy’s world!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
my concern with a dog is that if they are chasing you or attacking you you have to move pretty fast to keep from being harmed, then hitting a moving animal is tough, expended bullets have a lawyer attached to each one. A dog attack is a tough one to deal with, then if you carry your CCW in a fanny pack or something, it might be a moment to get it out. How does pepper spray work on dogs? I have never tried it but have wondered if it was effective.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I don’t carry a micro but in my small town of 7000, I do carry a compact. Mine is the Taurus G3c. It’s a 12+1 mag and comes with 2 extra mags. That’s because I also believe I’m my only protector. If I was concerned about a dog attack, and I know people who have been attacked I’d probably carry a small revolver. But I do know and believe that evil exists out there and never gives you a heads up. Evil plans on surprising us when we are least expecting it. I trust that gun and it’s very reliable.
There are no malls in this town but I do occasionally have to run to the grocery store.
The Honest Outlaw (YouTube) recommends the G3 for those on a tight budget who don't already have a concealed carry pistol, but also suggests that, in his experience, they are not 100% reliable. He calls them 99% reliable, but recommends them above the High Point.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Glock 43X is the smallest 9 that I own, and it's reliable.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
my concern with a dog is that if they are chasing you or attacking you you have to move pretty fast to keep from being harmed, then hitting a moving animal is tough, expended bullets have a lawyer attached to each one. A dog attack is a tough one to deal with, then if you carry your CCW in a fanny pack or something, it might be a moment to get it out. How does pepper spray work on dogs? I have never tried it but have wondered if it was effective.

From a tactical situation, a dog or dogs chasing a cyclist is a tough one to manage. In a split second, I'll have to make the decision as to whether or not the dog is a threat and then decide whether to flee, not worry about it or engage. In most cases, a couple of pedal stokes will have me outrunning the dog if fleeing is the best option. With small dogs and dogs that don't seem threatening, I continue to pedal, or maybe coast, and talk to them. If it appears to be a bad dog that I can't run from, I immediately dismount.

I have only pepper sprayed one dog in my life and it hardly reacted. It rubbed its nose on the ground. I am very sensitive to pepper spray, so I have decided that it's not a good choice for me.

I have only had one dog that ever truly worried me. I was able to sprint away from it, but barely. It was a big Rott mix of some sort. I got the vibe that it meant business. I chased a pack of Pits back under their doublewide one time and yelled at their owners. I have chased other dogs back into their yards too. I have dismounted a few times to find that the dogs wanted to have their heads rubbed. Having been a dog person all my life, I guess I am good at understanding them. On occasion, I have put a shoe into them. Maybe I am just lucky that my interactions have never turned bad.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I can say the same for my original Glock 43. I've fired it extensively, and have never had a failure of any kind. That said, if I'm looking for a compact 9mm, what I carry is my Glock 26, since it's just as easy to carry and conceal as my Glock 43, and when I need something smaller, I generally go with my Glock 42 (.380 ACP). That usually leaves out the Glock 43.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had an earlier model S&W Shield that I probably put around 1500 rounds of all kinds of ammo through and can't recall a malfunction. Wish I'd kept it.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The Honest Outlaw (YouTube) recommends the G3 for those on a tight budget who don't already have a concealed carry pistol, but also suggests that, in his experience, they are not 100% reliable. He calls them 99% reliable, but recommends them above the High Point.

I don’t carry the G3, Honest Outlaw tested the G3c and G2c and both went 1000 rounds without a single problem. I’m not on a tight budget I run what works for me. If I had a need to carry a full size gun it would be one of my M&P’s. But I don’t. I get rid of any gun that doesn’t work. Honest Outlaw has recommended both of the Taurus compacts multiple times. Carry what you are comfortable with, and fit your hand. Many of the guns recommend on this thread don’t fit my hand.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I can say the same for my original Glock 43. I've fired it extensively, and have never had a failure of any kind. That said, if I'm looking for a compact 9mm, what I carry is my Glock 26, since it's just as easy to carry and conceal as my Glock 43, and when I need something smaller, I generally go with my Glock 42 (.380 ACP). That usually leaves out the Glock 43.
No, dude. Just No

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I don’t carry the G3, Honest Outlaw tested the G3c and G2c and both went 1000 rounds without a single problem. I’m not on a tight budget I run what works for me. If I had a need to carry a full size gun it would be one of my M&P’s. But I don’t. I get rid of any gun that doesn’t work. Honest Outlaw has recommended both of the Taurus compacts multiple times. Carry what you are comfortable with, and fit your hand. Many of the guns recommend on this thread don’t fit my hand.
In his most recent video, he did indeed suggest that in his experience it's 99% reliable.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (44mc, 35, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, Akhutr, 7 invisible), 1,451 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,420
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.