-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Thanks for posting that link with the pick.

X2 That is no coyote.

Same ol Michigan DNR though. The DNR claimed for decades that there was no proof of Cougars in MI. Even after one was hit by a truck the DNR claimed that it wasn’t proof. That it could have been an escaped exotic pet. It wasn’t until trail cams got big and they started popping up in too many pics to deny it that the DNR publicly acknowledged cats in the state.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
here in Minnesota we got lots of wolves and coyotes ,just look at that picture that head is huge its a wolf . here in Minnesota our Mn. DNR has forever said we have no cougars but 60 years ago my grandpa`s milk cows got claw marks on them from a big cat , uncle seen the cougar that night and neighbor shot that cougar and got the cougar mounted,this dead cougar was in all the local papers too. so ya here in Minnesota we got cougars too , matter a fact i live on the land where the big cat traveled.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
405WCF: I don't know - never seen or shot one anywhere near that weight.
Local guy brought in two Wolves last week that he kill't on different days - they weighed 76 and 91 pounds respectively.
Again I am NOT saying an 84 pound Coyote is "impossible" but I have seen a LOT of Coyotes in my 50+ years of Hunting them, in several western states, and never seen one that weighed anywhere near 84 pounds.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

Thanks for posting that link with the pick.

X2 That is no coyote.

Same ol Michigan DNR though. The DNR claimed for decades that there was no proof of Cougars in MI. Even after one was hit by a truck the DNR claimed that it wasn’t proof. That it could have been an escaped exotic pet. It wasn’t until trail cams got big and they started popping up in too many pics to deny it that the DNR publicly acknowledged cats in the state.

Why do we need a three letter agency to tell us what we already know to be fact? Go to the people for the facts not the government.

F
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
F
It’s not about facts. If the DNR acknowledges the presence of a species, they will feel obligated to develop a management plan. It may be better for all concerned if they officially deny it.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
The coyote claimed to be shot in Michigan is not a pure coyote !
I have trapped and snared coyotes in the UP for many years and have caught some around 50 pounds....have also caught a couple wolves every year for the past 15 years only one was questionable because it looked like a small wolf but had much smaller feet then a wolf but was to large to be a pure coyote....

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
When I lived in NEPA, we had coyotes around in every color from almost white to black , lots of Coyote colored ones also. But all sorts of colors and 40-50 lbs was not uncommon , had one huge one in my yard that look just like a german sheperd . Wife got a picture of it while I was at work . Judging by by photo he was big . His back was higher than second ridge on 55 gal burn barrel. they were always in groups of 4-6 , and behave more wolf like than I thought they should. PA Game commission swore they are just coyotes......

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We went through the same song and dance here in NYS. DEC claimed absolutely no wolves and then after one was shot that it was probably a pet that was released. Then science and DNA proved the lie. No coyote gets to 80#. It is a wolf.

https://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2023/03/nysdec-now-admits-cooperstown-wolf-was-a-wild-wolf.html

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by Lonny
If it's a true coyote----No.

I think it’s pretty well settled that the northeastern “coyotes” aren’t really “true coyotes.”

Prior to the days of widely accessible dna research resources there was all kinds of speculation and absolute nonsense circulating around about them, at least where I am from in northern New York (Canadian border northern.)
I think today it’s prettier well accepted that there is generally (individuals will vary) dna showing coyote, large proportion of grey wolf, and traces of domestic dog. ( My wife’s cousin recently sent a trail cam video from out back of his place showing a blue healer running with what appears like a female coyote in heat.)

For years I was involved in trapping coyotes up there and ran them with hounds as our primary winter recreation. I’ve seen all colors and sizes, from the classic silver and brindles to fox red and coal black. The biggest I’ve ever seen anyone actually weigh on a scale was 72 pounds. One year I trapped a couple, a few days apart, that I believed were every bit as much work to lift up on the back of the quad as an 80 pound bag of horse feed.

The words “always” and “never” are two words I don’t use discussing wild animals.

In college hiked a lot in Northern New England. Typical in those days ( early to mid 70s), you'd get plenty of people who would rent property up north for the summer to take the wife and kids up to. They would stop by the pound and get a dog for the kids... at the end of the summer they'd take it out and dump it, and tell the kids it ran away.

These dogs would end up running into wolf packs or coyotes. The animal would be either eaten or would fight off the others well enough, it would get absorbed into the pack. The locals called them coy dogs. They'd cross with the wolves or coyotes.
When hiking trails in Northern New England, we'd run into them here and there. The problem with these coy dogs? The wild animals.. coyotes or wolves would run away, having fear of mankind.... these coy dogs had been around people so did not have a fear of them, but they picked up the wildness running with these coyotes and wolves.

Coy dogs were a real problem. Don't know if that is still the situation back there now.. but it sure was back in the 70s...
Ran into a lot of that scenario in the back country in northern Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. Never hiked being totally unarmed.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Fairly serious yote hunter as was my brother(since past on). At age of 85 , brother 73 between us I imagine we killed over 1k coyotes. Largest we ever killed, here in Wyoming weighed 48 lbs, not sure that one didn’t have some dog in his lineage, though he had 100% coyote structure he had a little strange coloration. Brother once called in a family unit and killed all 5 st one stand with rifle on;y. Best I ever did, several times, was 3 at once, though I carried rifle and semiauto shotgun {00 or 000) shot. We mouth called for years and did well but calling got so popular, that coyotes wised up to many common sound so we went to electronics with everybody else. Howling and barking became our mainstay, coyotes have their vocabulary and it’s amazing when you learn it a little. Good hunting boys

IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 1337Fungi, 160user, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 2,188 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,769
Posts18,476,747
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.