Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The powders truly redundant are the same ones under different names. Powders very close in burn rate might have a niche that they fill with certain rounds due to volume and caliber.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
General Dynamics owns the powder plant in Canada. That’s a stock to own if you want to fund expensive powder purchases.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters
General Dynamics owns the powder plant in Canada. That’s a stock to own if you want to fund expensive powder purchases.

Yes, and it comes back into Canada from the States with additional costs and exchange rates. I once lived not too far from that plant in Valleyfield, Que., but we couldn't buy directly from the plant. It was transported across the border to Plattsburg, NY, where it was packaged and sent to distributers around the world, including Canada. Made in Canada but we had to buy it as a foreign product. Handloading costs for Canadians is at least 1/3rd more than for US citizens.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 02/26/24.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Canada Ammo bought direct from that plant in bulk, repackaged it and sold it without that powder ever leaving Canada. They were selling it at 25-30$ per pound at the time, making a nice profit whereas the US packaged/marketed canister grade powder was double the cost to the consumer.
It showed that the price of a pound of powder 5 years ago was mostly distributor markup. I expect it is no different today.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by CZ550
[quote=RemingtonPeters]I once lived not too far from that plant in Valleyfield, Que.,

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

As a kid, we used to go up to Valleyfield for the boat races every summer. (Better leave it at that before I get a ticket from the thread relevance police.)

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I realize there's an enormous "economy of scale", but, I'm surprised one can buy a 1# canister of powder in the US for $50-$60 that was made in Aus or Europe and realize that everyone along the way made some $$:

The manufacturer

The overseas shipper

The importer

The Co. that makes the packaging

The shipper in the US that gets raw-product to where it's packaged

The shipper that transports packaged product to ammo manufacturers, distributers, large retailers/distribution centers

Retailers which also means another shipper in the case of internet direct sales.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I don't have a problem with lots of choices at all...but if you look at the list of dozens of shotgun powders, you can't help but wonder if there is a point of it all becoming pointless.
And then take an example of a truly universal, clean burning, uniform powder like DuPont PB, used in every hull, used with every wad, every primer...that never met a pistol or small rifle cartridge it didn't like....and discontinue it? Sheer marketing genius. Same minds that decided 4320 was redundant.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I don't believe you can take the formula for reduced loads with H4895 and apply it to IMR 4895. There are powders that are exactly alike and marketed as different powders from different manufacturers for instance H414 is the same as W760.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I posted this link on the two 4895s earlier in the thread: https://hodgdonpowderco.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/h4895-reduced-rifle-loads-2.pdf

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw
I suspect that you missed the point that Hodgdon owns and controls the manufacturers who make many of these powders.

To say that Hodgdon doesn't make any powder is not true any longer.

Hodgdon has the marketing rights to a whole passel of product lines now, but many if not most of the powders sold under those names is manufactured overseas or here by totally independent companies. Ownership of the brand names that powders are sold under here doesn’t mean they make it, or control the companies that do.

One example in the U.S. is St. Marks Powder Co, a subsidiary of General Dynamics, which is certainly not owned by teensy-weensy Hodgdon.

If you read the Propellant Profiles articles in Handloader regularly, you’ll find that many powders have long, complicated histories, often with multiple manufacturers over time.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yes, and I for one am happy about that. I can develope a load from each, and have more loading flexability. What`s wrong with that?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The only issue I see with redundant powders is that I don't have the time or the money to try them all.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by CZ550
Originally Posted by HawkI
I don't mind redundant powders.

It's the often the unavailable and overpriced powders (even the redundant ones) that are concerning to me.

BTW, Varget is a 4064 type, not 4895 if looking at the IMR scale.

IMR4064 is still one of the best for multiple applications. It was THE best in my 7-08.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Growing up we used it in .22-250, .243, .308 & .30-06 which is about all we shot then.
Old man had bought a big metal drum of it somewhere along the way and decided that’s all we needed.
52.1 with a 150gr in .30-06 is accurate, so was 35gr under a 52gr bullet in .22-250. Have one for .308 that shot crazy accurate in an A-Bolt .308 I had years ago too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I suspect that you missed the point that Hodgdon owns and controls the manufacturers who make many of these powders.

To say that Hodgdon doesn't make any powder is not true any longer.

Hodgdon owns and controls General Dynamics ? I don't think so. That is who owns and runs the plants in Canada and Florida . The Australian plant is owned and controlled by a large European manufacturer, whose name I have forgotten.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Perhaps off the subject somewhat, wondering who else may have my delima redundant powders? Checked my powder supply and discovered I have 36 different powder, any where from 1 lb to 10 lbs of each. What’s with that? Some I would bet a good number of u haven’t heard of, anyone remember Hodgdons H205 for instance? A number of those 36 I haven’t tried yet. At 85 I may never get around to. Nice problem to have ain’t it?

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Hodgdon markets H4895, IMR4895, and Varget. These all seem to me to fit in the same niche of usefulness

Seems like in an era when inventories are limited that it might be better for most if they concentrated production to one of these.
What am I missing here?

Additional topic; Can any of the other 4895 powders be used for reduced loads, like H4895 is known for?

There is no such thing as redundancy unless the same powder has multiple labels such as 760 and H 414. Even then for availability purposes, you can buy each and blend to a batch for your own stock.

Other than that, there is always going to be a cartridge and load that likes one powder over another, even though they "seem to me to fit in the same niche of usefulness".

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (160user, 12344mag, 21, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 31 invisible), 1,723 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,452
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.