Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Like many, the shortages have had me changing powders and bullets with no small frustration. I nailed it down to h4350 and after not finding Sierra's I wanted I could not get Speer 90's to shoot. I decided to try Bergers for the first time and had better luck with the 95 Hybrids. About an inch at 100 yds. The next ladder test of .5 grain more was okay as well. I decided to add just .1 grain and use my other die for a tiny bit more length and see what happens and Voila. I know adjusting two things is a terrible practice but I was running to the lease and loaded a few for fun. Man - a single tiny hole group. My best ever - cannot improve on it but the difference this time is I will now take that to heart and not be my own worst enemy trying to improve upon the perfect.

With age is supposed to come wisdom and this flawed reloader finally understands - I am not touching anything.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Will it repeat?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
Will it repeat?

Bubble popper question. šŸ˜

Swifty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How's the ES and SD.

Lol......

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Congratulationsā€¦ā€¦sometimes itā€™s better to be lucky than good!

Will it repeat?

Bubble popper question. šŸ˜

This is often the caseā€¦ā€¦hopefully not.

This past summer I was building a load for my huntā€™n rifle ā€¦..no load data, so did some extrapolation and a bit of SWAG. The velocity numbers were pretty impressive, pressure appeared OK. Started stepping up a full grain at a time (large case capacity), shooting 3 shot groups over the chrono. Would shoot 2 or 3 groups over several days on the same target. The groups, almost ā€œsuperimposedā€ over each other, continued to slightly improve and velocities ā€œinchedā€ up. While small samples, the ES for the groups was generally under 10 fps.

I was getting under and around 1/2ā€ inch groups, and finally achieved a pressure that caused concernā€¦..backed up a bit, and called it good! Better to be lucky than good! šŸ˜ memtb

Last edited by memtb; 02/27/24.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

ā€œIā€™d like to be a good riflemanā€¦..but, I prefer to be a good hunterā€! memtb 2024
IC B2

kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Will it repeat?

[Linked Image]

Thinking how beautiful it is right now so......
laugh

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Will it repeat?

[Linked Image]

laugh

šŸ˜ šŸ‘ memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

ā€œIā€™d like to be a good riflemanā€¦..but, I prefer to be a good hunterā€! memtb 2024
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Will it repeat?

The million dollar question right there.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Will it repeat?

[Linked Image]

laugh

Before you go cutting that single group out and putting it in your wallet, to show your buddies...... ha ha... There was an old man that worked at Cabela's that used to pull out his cut out targets to show me. Nice little 3 shot clusters. Nothing was ever in the bulls eye though.. ha ha..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Like many, the shortages have had me changing powders and bullets with no small frustration. I nailed it down to h4350 and after not finding Sierra's I wanted I could not get Speer 90's to shoot. I decided to try Bergers for the first time and had better luck with the 95 Hybrids. About an inch at 100 yds. The next ladder test of .5 grain more was okay as well. I decided to add just .1 grain and use my other die for a tiny bit more length and see what happens and Voila. I know adjusting two things is a terrible practice but I was running to the lease and loaded a few for fun. Man - a single tiny hole group. My best ever - cannot improve on it but the difference this time is I will now take that to heart and not be my own worst enemy trying to improve upon the perfect.

With age is supposed to come wisdom and this flawed reloader finally understands - I am not touching anything.
Even if your groups double in size, youā€™re still golden.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
IC B3

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My first 5-shot group through my .17 Mach IV measured .02" Naturally I was ecstatic! I could never repeat it, though, in fact less than .2" has been pretty uncommon.

I hope you have repeatable results.

Mine still shoots plenty accurate for young prairie dogs, though; several times I've cleaned a burrow of 6-8 at 400+ yards without a wasted shot, when wind co-operates.

When the little flukes combine in your favor it sure feels good.

Last edited by DHN; 02/28/24.

Dale

kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I guess my only way to win is to retire the rifle and go out on top!

Seriously though, Thanks everybody - I have been enjoying this thread.

It was rimming bullseye hitting maybe quarter inch high and left but I can't touch the scope. It's a Leupold !!!!

HEY - that gives me an out if I can't repeat it. laugh

Last edited by kenjs1; 02/28/24.

. Confucius

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

227 members (257_X_50, 14idaho, 2500HD, 16penny, 16gage, 39 invisible), 1,988 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,993
Posts18,481,115
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.