-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a lyman peep sight that is marked on the inside with a W on one side and a single L on the other . no other marks except lyman .. Its a triangular 3 screw.. very good shape everything intact with screws .. it goes on a flat sided reciever...I need i think a model 41 reciever sight for a 1895 it has the same screw pattern as the one above but is not flat sided.. just wondering if anyone has any infor about these ... My 95 in 35wcf is drilled for this sight but now has filler screws...Lee

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Lee, The one you're looking for the Winchester model 1895 should be marked with code 41 WR on the back flat mount. The Lyman 41 sight was first designed for the Winchester models, 1905,1907, and 1910, (code SL), all self loading rifles, and Remington model 8 and 81, auto loading rifles, (code 41AT) Pat. date,July 16, 1907. The 41 was later adapted to the Winchester model 1895, last cataloged in 1943. You stated above "that it's not flat sided". Understand that the Lyman 41 is "FLAT SIDED" and the Win. model 1895 calls for a "Flat sided sight"!(41 WR).
Not really sure what sight you have with a code of "W" and "L" separated on it. It's hard without pics as I'm trying to help out here. Sounds to me that someone possibly installed the wrong sight and mad it work for them. The collector value is ruined,IMO, with the holes drilled in the wrong place, so at this point I wouldn't worry about that as a shooter/hunting rifle is what you have now.IMHO! My information is based on Nick Stroebel's Old Gunsight book.

HS 58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
thanks for the help hunter .. just digging through stuff and found the sight . If you have the gunsight book see if there is any such thing for a winder . Long ago i showed it to a sight dealer at a gun show and he thought it was some what rare ..So it seems the 41wr was only used for the early flatsides and not the later fluted 95's, like mine...I acquired it as a shooter and it has the original rear on the barrel ..actually shot a couple deer with it..

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
The Lyman 41WR is the sight intended for the scalloped receiver 1895, in the pictures below notice the "bump out" for the scallop. Pretty hard to find sight. In the meantime if you already have a flat sided 41WL, and the mounting holes line up, you could always make up a shim to take up the space in the scalloped area. My Winder has a similar Lyman but they're a #53 and mounts on the right with 4 screws.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks tmitch The sight marked only W L is apparently for an early flatside,,it mounts from the left and looks exactly like the one on your winder but has the three screws like the 41wr...the holes line up perfectly so i just need to shim it and find some longer screws . i had a couple sight guys looking for the 41wr yrs ago but they never got back to me .. since they didnt make a lot of flat sides the dealer that told me my W L was rarer then the 41WR was probably correct . Interesting, thanks for the help

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
This is the other side of the 41WR , probably looks same as your WL?

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
tmitch nailed it as experience prevailed. I agree with what he said as far as making a shim. He makes it plain to see with the bump out on the sight for the scalloped receiver also. Quality sight's all in all and I agree that their harder to find.
Stroebel book calls for a Lyman 45 receiver sight that looks like the 41 for the Winder, as well as the 03 and the 63. Possibly the 3 screws will line up.
There is no mention of the Flat Side vs the Sporting 95. His book just shows the 41 for the Sporting 95 as an option. Several other options are listed as extra's but not what were talking about here.

HS 58

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
yes its the same - now i know what i have -most likely little demand for a W L so i may try to shim it

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
In doing more research on this and to share some knowledge learned here as tmitch was saying most often and more often than not the flat based Lyman sight can be, and would be shimmed to make it work, as it had been done in the past, and once tightly secured would work. The Lyman #41 WL code, is listed on the Lyman chart as for the Winchester model 10,(1910) self loader, .401 caliber, which has a flat sided receiver like the early flat sided 1895 rifles, hence "flat to flat" installation. Not saying it couldn't be used with shims, as if it were me or it was mine, I would want a Lyman #41 WR code on my model 1895 rifle matching the scalloped contour. I would imagine that a small bushing type washer/shim could be used as a thicker type washer but also a slightly longer screw might be uded as on Old Arms web site they do advertise a Lyman #41 SL code sight with 3 screws and one being longer but no shim/washer. $197.00 is what their asking as Homestead is asking $146.00 for theirs with the same length on all 3 screws.

HS 58

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (1234, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,553
Posts18,473,018
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.