Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
JLatham Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Anyone out there that can tell me more about a rifle I just purchased.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are you the guy that spent $2644 at Rock Island Auction?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
T
T
I’m familiar with them, what do you want to know, pictures would help, they are scarce.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Tuning up my wack-o-meter, crystal ball edition.,, Googling with intent! Similar exemplar achieved???

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...-9-3x64-mauser.cfm?gun_id=101485021#lg-1

Unimpressed! "Customized" of features of era past." Not to 'kick it out of bed, but absolutely no premium for a European name and origins. Realizing simply viewing one 'maybe similar" specimen. But speaking of such 'genre' if/as applicable. An "also ran" era rifle perhaps of military mauser origins. I see neither name brand nor established classic styling bragging rights.

Perhaps the one of reference in this Thread differs... The requested photos to 'tell'!
My take!
Best!
JOhn

T
T
Hey John,
The model 21 was actually intended as a sort of simplified Mauser small ring action, the shroud is very simplified and the cocking piece is reminiscent of a Mexican Mauser’s. They were a product of the Weimar era and are quite scarce. Other makers/retailers even offered them for a bit, I have one in a brochure actually, but in general they must not have made very many at all.

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Thanks Kid! I always value your expert opinions! I sought & found one on the Internet. Large ring but with the same striker group design with simplified bolt shroud minus conventional mauser striker safety altogether. Sounds as you describe. Utilizing a Greener pattern in-stock rotating safety, trigger impinging. A small ring sporter edition would be much more interesting to me. I like those models where converted for their typical slimness in lightweight sporter configurations.

My ovreall impression of the Google result I saw was of a milsurp rework done well but nothing spectacular. As far as the DWM action specimen, frankly it seems to me you can only get so-much mileage from such a build. "Commercial action" as about the same, as noted, the 1909 Argentine Model. In assessing the "package", likely I'd look more at the overall presentation; "the product", than ping on "commercial" or as if here, on rarity. What I see in the subject rifle pix is something akin to the Brno Model 21 and frankly, I'd prefered it for the package it is. To have a specimen of the Schmidt; 'at the right price', but not a premium hinging on "commercial" as here.
"Varying collector appeal!"
Thanks for your input!
Best!
John

D
D
I have always wanted an 88 Commission rifle or a 98 sporter with set triggers. I am envious of yours. Looks really nice.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 2500HD, bapple, 13 invisible), 1,572 guests, and 964 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,053
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.