Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Two of my grandson's showed up tonight & one of them was interested in trying out a few of my 9mm's, he's thinking about buying one for summer carry when he's out kicking around in the woods or fishing. I showed both of them a few, a Walther PPS, A custom shop S&W 9mm M&P 2.0, a Kimber 1911 Eclipse with a 9mm barrel & spring installed & a Browning Hi Power with adjustable sights.
After handling them for a few minutes & showing them the controls a few times I sent them home with the Kimber & the Browning Hi Power, 2 loaded mags for each gun, 50 rounds of extra ammo for each gun & a mag loader. Both boys are experienced shooters, having taken deer, elk & bear & at least one antelope.
They have to start somewhere & going with the 2 all steel guns is a good start for both of them, plus both guns have safties on them, neither the Walther or the S&W M&P has a manual safety. They are out of school Friday & I'm guessing their gunsmith dad will go with them when they go. I can also turn them loose with some 38 specials & 357 magnum revolvers, both double & single action guns.
All the loads are cast, powder coated loads for each gun & the Kimber has 2 other barrels we can switch into action in a hurry, a 38 Super & a 10mm if they want to up the horsepower a bit. I like to shoot 9mm's this time of year because I have so much brass. Any thoughts on the choices of guns the boys picked out to test drive on the first day, thanks. I do have one S&W 38 Super I can throw in just for fun that has a red dot sight, they would love it. N Frame, 8 shot hot rod.

Dick

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting how times change. The traditional choice for kicking around in the woods and fishing gun would have been a revolver of some sort. For a first centerfire handgun that would probably be a .38/.357 in either a single-action Ruger or a double-action from Ruger, S&W, or Colt. Now folks want a high-capacity semi-auto of some sort. Not saying that is bad, just different.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MOGC
Interesting how times change. The traditional choice for kicking around in the woods and fishing gun would have been a revolver of some sort. For a first centerfire handgun that would probably be a .38/.357 in either a single-action Ruger or a double-action from Ruger, S&W, or Colt. Now folks want a high-capacity semi-auto of some sort. Not saying that is bad, just different.
I had the same reaction, but that having been said, it's great to see new people get into handgun shooting.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by MOGC

Interesting to me too. I don't have any heartburn with what they chose, but some years back when my son was in the same spot, I set him off with a 4 inch Smith, 686. That's why they make all different kinds, I guess. Admittedly, this could have occurred because I chose for him, rather than letting him pick. wink

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fine business grandpa.... the shooting world as a whole thanks you wink

Please don't feed the trolls!
IC B2

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
πŸ‘πŸ‘

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My grandsons carry 9mm pistols as well, other than the youngest. He’s 16 and carries the Colt New Frontier convertible .22 I gave him last year. He keeps one whole shelf in his bedroom cleared offfor just that revolver and accessories.

Those boys can sure burn through a lot of ammo of all kinds in short order.

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
9mm is a great choice for a first centerfire for the grandkids that Dick has. Brass is super cheap, or free if you scrounge it from the range, and since grandpa casts and powder coats bullets, they have a steady supply of projectiles, and cool ones at that! Plus they have a hunting teacher and mentor who is first rate. They are some super lucky kids to have ID1945 as their grandpa, that is for sure.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I gave my daughter a Sig Sauer P229 with .22 RF conversion for practice and a Glock 43x 9mm for carry. She often accompanies her LEO husband to the range for practice.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1234, 1minute, 160user, 10Glocks, 16penny, 55 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,529
Posts18,472,680
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.