Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Chuck_R
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Why not spend some on yourselves? Go on a safari, buy a camper and travel the country, buy a winter place where it’s warm.

^

This is the approach we're taking.

We haven't really inherited much of anything, which is cool because at least my wife and my parents were self sufficient to the end, which is probably one of the best gifts parents can give their kids.

We've only got our son, and between our pensions and SS we really won't need the money I've got in my IRAs, that plus real-estate is fast approaching the $2 mil mark.

So we've had a heart to heart, I'm helping out through his getting his masters. There will be enough money to take care of my wife no matter what, but I'm about to start working off my bucket list while I'm still able to hike etc. So an Elk hunt this year, a plains game safari next year, then another elk hunt etc.

He will inherit something, that's guaranteed. We've got a living trust established so should something happen to both of us, he'll get the remainder when he turns 30. IAW our lawyer, IF he hasn't sorted out priorities by then.. he never will. I'm not worried in the least, pretty bright kid already has a ROTH IRA going and saves some of what he makes.
Like that famous bumper sticker on a Winnebago, "We're spending our children's inheritance".....

Seriously, a good atty and you guys getting together with a will that reflects your values and wishes. Life's too short to be worrying about all that, get it set in stone.

DF

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
We just split everything equally among the kids. And real estate is to transfer on death. Keeps them out of probate in our state! I have faith they will be frugal as they are now.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Heym06
We just split everything equally among the kids. And real estate is to transfer on death. Keeps them out of probate in our state! I have faith they will be frugal as they are now.
Sounds like you raised good kids with values! Parenting is a skill in its own.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Society of Saint Vincent DePaul. My wife makes food deliveries for this organization. They try to weed out the people that don’t actually need help.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spend it. Trips, toys, gifts to close friends…..

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
As a Christian, I’m sure you are very much aware of the funds need for Christian organizations to fulfill their missions.

As long as they don’t include smuggling illegal aliens into the US, or providing succor once they are here I’d agree.

It’s not just the papists and Lutherans, even the Mormons are balls deep in it. At least in my little corner of the world.

I’d shy away from any religious contribution.

There are 1001 missions that need funding, that are quite righteous and free of junk listed above.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Spend it before you die...

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by IA_fog
Originally Posted by RHClark
I would hate to love my money more than my wife, or stepdaughter.
It’s not about love for my wife or for her daughter it’s for the freeloading piece of crap the daughter is with
The daughter will get something it’s just how much

Sounds to me the familial relationship is very important to your wife.

Perhaps a good way to address that is to create a trust upon death for the benefit of any grandchildren. College, first house, first car, that sort of thing. That way, the dead beat is taken out of the cycle.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
It’s not about love for my wife or for her daughter it’s for the freeloading piece of crap the daughter is with

I don't think it's wrong to want your money to do the most good after you are gone. What concerns me is that you have so much resentment for the daughter that you don't want her to have it. Maybe she is a real piece of crap, but she is your piece of crap via your wife. What I would like to see here is you and your wife trying to figure out how to set up that inheritance to help her overcome being a piece of crap and restrict it to do the least damage to herself or anyone else until she is more responsible.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Well , your gonna give the daughter money in the end. Why don’t you give her say $2000 now. The stipulation is she has to invest in in stocks. She has to keep it in stocks for 5 years. On a a year you and your wife audit her and give her advice. If daughter does ok in the market and does not spend it, all of you will have learned a lesson. If she blows the money, you will most likely adjust her part of your estate . Your thoughts? Alan

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
"spend it before you die", because everyone knows exactly how long they are going to live and what level of care they will need, how much it will cost, and for how long!

LOLOLOL

LOL
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Spend it before you die...

First, This ... ^^^^^^^ You and your wife worked for it. Enjoy it.

Originally Posted by mcadams17
if i outlived her, the fruitcake daughter living in that lifestyle wouldn't get a dime. I would leave at all to my church.

Then, This ... ^^^^^^^

Wife and her sister were co-executrices for their uncle. Same situation. Average guy. Married 60 years. No kids. Lived modestly. Saved along the way. Invested well... Left money to a number of churches, cemetery boards, Christian charitable organizations, and family members. No one got a huge amount of money. But, as it says in Proverbs: "Cast your bread upon the waters..."

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
This is a question for an attorney that knows the ins and outs of trusts and wills in your state. Each state has its own laws. My wife and I have wills. I need to go to one myself.
The right kind of trust can protect your assets from the sharks that come after old peoples money.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Do NOT leave your money or property to a church or a nonprofit. Big mistake to do so. Find a nice normal family and set your part aside for them while allowing your wife use of the house for her lifetime. Don’t tell anyone except for a trusted person who will receive a fair payment for his trouble.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Donate it to a dog shelter.

I
IA_fog Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I

I don't think it's wrong to want your money to do the most good after you are gone. What concerns me is that you have so much resentment for the daughter that you don't want her to have it. Maybe she is a real piece of crap, but she is your piece of crap via your wife. What I would like to see here is you and your wife trying to figure out how to set up that inheritance to help her overcome being a piece of crap and restrict it to do the least damage to herself or anyone else until she is more responsible.

It’s not resentment for daughter it’s the piece of crap she with, if the “other” party was respectable held a job , wasn’t a drain on welfare and society wouldn’t have a problem leaving it all but the freeloadr would blow it without the daughter getting any good out of it. And no grandchildren from her daughter to bypass too or that would solve it. We keep hearing that they want to impregnate and we keep praying that she wishes up first
Unless anyone of you have been real close to a transgender I don’t believe you can understand the mental issues then you too that with the desires for the welfare freeloader attitude it just makes u sick

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Spend it. Problem solved.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s not like you’re going to need it or miss it. Life is too short to worry about trying to control people and things you don’t need beyond the grave. Live well, but not needlessly extravagantly and leave her what is left. If she blows it, so be it. You won’t know nor care. But maybe she’ll use it to better herself or dump this idiot and put herself in a better situation. No need to worry about it either way.

Last edited by JoeBob; 03/06/24.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
St Judes or other such places of the same ideology can always use money.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Find someone you know that can genuinely use help and will appreciate it. Set it up in a trust and set guidelines for dispersments. Maybe some neighbor kid who's a good kid but had a rough start. Set it up to pay tuition or trade school. Maybe a kid gets a dollar towards tuition for every dollar he earned from a legitimate job. Most big charities just pay themselves big salaries. Sponsor a kid you know and die knowing you made a difference in someone's life you knew. Make sure you enjoy a little yourself too. Take a trip or live a little.

I've got my own kids I'm really worried about leaving enough for to help them get a start. If I didn't have my own i could easily think of a few that would be good ones to help.

Start a scholarship fund for kids who's dads didn't leave them anything because they wasted too much time on the campfire. The kids of the campfire scholarship fund.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 03/06/24.
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (2ndwind, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 2UP, 270cowboy, 1badf350, 55 invisible), 1,754 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,150
Posts18,523,363
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.