Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BC30cal
as this one.

As far as fit and finish of the metalwork, even into 1943 during Nazi occupation, there's not a huge difference, especially if one is going to smooth, true and polish up the action a little anyways.

Generally, I agree with this & much depends on what condition the action that you have to work with is in.

I've used 1909, VZ24, Brno, Spandau & FN'S & with similar work they all turn out pretty much the same...................it just so happens that I've had some very pristine 1909's & that makes things a bit easier from the start & the bottom metal lends itself to making a nice floorplate, otherwise, when available I've used Mark X bottom metal, always with a reshaped triggerguard.

As for commercial, hands down a nice FN.

I still have several laying around wanting to be given a new life, a couple of 1909's & 2 or 3 VZ-24's, all with new bolt handles welded on.................but that's just not going to happen.

All referring to large ring actions only.

MM

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As a background, I'm terrible tight and practical.

Sitting on a Hyem 308 bought cheap months ago, basically barreled action and bottom metal. Needs a decent trigger, thinking about a M70 trigger and safety.

Probably could do the work, afraid to.

So...$500, and it needs a handle.

Couple hundred for wood and supplies if I invest a winters spare time.

Added to (bad,😵‍💫) song I paid...$1k plus.

For a gun I may not love, that will be worth half on the money invested.

Love the pics I see, there are some awesome guns being built.
But how in thee heck does one pencil it out when there are Sakos
floating around out there looking for a home?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
never remodeled one but the Venezuelan and Peruvian are nice.

Peru. This was in 30-06 with

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Venezuelan usually in the white.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
As a background, I'm terrible tight and practical.

Sitting on a Hyem 308 bought cheap months ago, basically barreled action and bottom metal. Needs a decent trigger, thinking about a M70 trigger and safety.

Probably could do the work, afraid to.

So...$500, and it needs a handle.

Couple hundred for wood and supplies if I invest a winters spare time.

Added to (bad,😵‍💫) song I paid...$1k plus.

For a gun I may not love, that will be worth half on the money invested.

Love the pics I see, there are some awesome guns being built.
But how in thee heck does one pencil it out when there are Sakos
floating around out there looking for a home?

i bought a Black Walnut Wolverine stock from Richards Mircofit stocks. i had to sand, bronze wool and cheesecloth it. then Minwax Antique oil (4 or 5 coats) and then Polyurethane/mineral spirits (3 poly/1 spirits) and i am done. oh, i used Johnson's paste wax to finish it up.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

i bought the rifle and Redfield aperture sight for around $150. the stock was trashed, it had scratches and gouges galore. but i found out that had black mold on the inside of the stock. i contacted Richards and got a '98 and a '93 stocks. the '93 stock is laminated, Apache Gold stock, to put on my youngest son's rifle (6.5x55 Numrich sporter barrel). i bought the '93 (1916 Spanish Mauser) for around $100. i had my gunsmith bend the bolt handle and D&T for a scope mount and put a Numrich sporter barrel on it. i think it was around $250, but i ain't sure. i bought the stock for around $180.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The intermediate makes things a bit tougher, Richards inlets them.

They have blank seconds that they inlet.

Thinking of going that route, my efforts will be too hamfisted
to spend much on wood.

Operating equipment, driving a truck, right up my alley.
Can't even write legibility, or draw a stick figure,
hand work by me looks like a solid D, in 7th grade shop class.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This was my choice for a military 98. Its a 1936 Mexican in 7mm Mauser. It has a Pac-Nor barrel. The original had so much pitting you couldn't tell if it had ever been rifled.

Harry
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Jim Wisner has a 1909 almost done for me in 7x57 for my daughter’s rifle project. Safety, new bolt with 2checkered panels, all rebuilt, custom Talley bases. It will have a 22” Douglas barrel installed with a barrel banded sling swivel of some sort, a front sight, and a McLaughlin Rigby style diopter peep sight. Shooting for all up 8.25 pounds. I like the 1909! If this comes out the way I think it will I shall have him make a companion in 9.3x62 with a made to order mag box.

The way life should be.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I built a .280 AI on an '09 Argentine, I had a G33/40 which I had plans to build a .250-3000 that I foolishly let myself get traded out of. Also built a .338 WM on a Santa Barbera, currently I have a 1949 vintage FN Mauser in .257 Roberts which I plan to take deer hunting this fall.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
1910 Mexican in 7x57 by Jim Wisner. The action is a good choice for that cartridge.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

1 member likes this: Themauserkid
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Tee-that is beyond nice..love it!

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by TeeBone
1910 Mexican in 7x57 by Jim Wisner. The action is a good choice for that cartridge.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Very nice!

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Mathsr
This was my choice for a military 98. Its a 1936 Mexican in 7mm Mauser. It has a Pac-Nor barrel. The original had so much pitting you couldn't tell if it had ever been rifled.

Lovely.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My 7x57 Swede by Wisner. Tidy little package.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Yes, Sir. Even the cat seems quite content with that one.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Posted this before on the Campfire several years ago, during a similar discussion:

I didn't get my ideas on commercial Mauser 98 actions off the Internet, but from various top gunsmiths, including the late Dave Gentry, who knew more about 98's than any gunsmith I've known. Dave MADE 98 actions, including left-hand, "Kurz" and magnum versions, many of which were used by various custom smiths as well as famous British gun companies. He also probably built more rifles on 98 actions of various sorts than most "traditional" smiths, because he started making synthetic-stocked rifles very early on, using his own layups.

Dave not only had the highest regard for ANY 98 actions made by FN, but also thought Mark X's were made of very good steel, even if some were roughly machined (though he also had an early Mark X that was as finely finished as any FN I’ve seen). He tested every 98 action he used, and if reheat-treating was needed sent them to the same company recommended in Jerry Kuhnhausen’s book, The Mauser Bolt Actions, a Shop Manual.

Kuhnhausen also doesn’t mention any frequent problems with commercial FN actions, though he does mention the differences in steel between early 98’s and post-WWII actions. There’s far more detail about the subject in R.A. Walsh’s book on making sporting rifles, Mauser Model 98 and 96. Walsh is a top-notch engineer who makes custom Mauser rifles on the side, and knows more about Mauser steel than most gunsmiths. He doesn’t mention any consistent problem with the steel in later commercial actions either.

As an additional observation, that after having a number of 98-actioned rifles "made" over several decades, along with buying quite a few used 98-based customs, is that if you want a very good rifle a Mark X barreled action will often group just as well as most custom-barreled 98s, regardless of actions--and require less work.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Not disposed to go back and review this Thread commentary. Sorry if anyone offended. Only here to firmly "Second" Mule Deer's comments above in respect of attempting to suggest a "Best Mauser Action." The FN postwar mauser action as getting it right in production context of quality in materials and workmanship. Yet still the "everyman's action in 'other than' custom crafting. The Zastava action also a firm "Second" to his evaluation. I find the Interarms "Whitworth" model rifles a great blend of custom-classic styling as affordable production rifles!
This isn't to 'dis'' the custom rifles typically of beauty if of widely differing styling interpretations. Just my bewilderment of why reinvent the wheel absent such as unique "human factors" in such as "accommodation" or super adornment.

There was the "Brevex" true magnum sized action and I appreciate that for what it was, yet failed for lack of buyers at its required "low production price point. The side note that those long "true magnum rounds" of British gunmaker fame, largely displaced in "everyman" context by the latter fifties Winchester "Short Mag" "factory" cartridge developments.

Here's to those FN postwar commercial mausers as yet in afterlife of half century later, still heralded!
My take!
Best!
John

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'd still pick a BRNO model 21 any day of the week. It's a commercial small ring '98 Mauser action that weighs 6 lbs 5 Oz. sans scope. Whoever decided on a 21" barrel for this 8x57mm JS Mauser had a stroke of brilliance. Weight and balance are perfect and the action is silky smooth.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I picked up this Commercial FN here on the Classifieds a few years ago. It already had the swing safety, Canjar trigger, other work done. Paid $550. It had a checkered bolt handle, was pretty nice, probably '60's vintage. I had a Swede Shilen barrel installed, dropped it in a McWoody Classic.

DF

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
How about just pretty, VZ24

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John is on target. The Mark X-Zastava Mausers and others-correct the left side receiver weakness of the magazine thumb relief . Frank De Haas in his classic "Bolt Action Rifles" points
to this significant action weakness of the original M-98s. Some very nice Mauser rifles are pictured here.
In reviewing fairness, De Haas also points to the 98 Mauser's ability to divert gas with shroud and wisely engineered bolt gas port holes. These are failings, though few, in the original design
of the Winchester pre-64 Model 70.
My late 1950's custom M-98 has a classic English styled stock, with custom trigger and M-70 styled safety. It is chambered in 30-06 Ackley Improved, somewhat popular in those halcyon days.

Last edited by 450Fuller; 03/12/24.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1234, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 58 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,430 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,175
Posts18,484,632
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.