-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’m looking to upgrade optics and I’m looking at range finding binoculars, but I have questions from those that have them.

Looking to save the funds for a high quality set in the $1,000-1,500 price range. This would include the Burris signatures at the bottom of that, the Vortex Fury, Sig Kilo, Leupold and Leica has one right at $1,500.

I’ve read some of the threads here about Sig’s 5 year warranty and the date of manufacture so that might be out. I know Burris and Leupold have good warranties but do rangefinder binos fall into the warranty repair category often? How long will the rangefinder last in the binoculars? Are rangefinders more of a disposable purchase every few years for those that use them regularly ?

Would I be better off getting a good pair of $1000ish binoculars and a good $2-300 rangefinder?

Last edited by philgood80; 03/10/24.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have some Vortex Furys that I picked up last year and they do everything that I need hunting moose, bou, and bear. I've no doubt there's better ones on the market, but I can't justify the extra cost when these work so well for me. The Vortex also has a lifetime warranty, even on the rangefinders and rangefinding binos.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have the GPO 10x50 Rangeguide and they are clear and compact. They do not have ballistic data if you are wanting that. They do have angle technology and temperature. Right now Cameraland have them on sale.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd buy Leica. However, with that being said, I've looked through my buddies Vortex Fury 5000 HD's and they are very nice and clear. They appear to have good glass, at first glance. Until I compared them to my Leica's. Guys mention Vortex having a great warranty. I've seen that first hand with my buddies Vortex Fury bino's. His little boy dropped them from a foot off the ground, and it broke both of the eye cups. Shattered more or less. He sent them back and Vortex fixed them pretty quickly, but after that, they seemed real cheap to me, if they broke that easily. IF you don't throw them around like stick does his rifles, and you baby them, they may hold up. Your decision though..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Those New Geovid R's are very nice and if you don't need onboard ballistics they would certainly be my pick.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by handwerk
Those New Geovid R's are very nice and if you don't need onboard ballistics they would certainly be my pick.

Bingo. Had I not bought my older style Geovids at a close out price of $1,100.00, I would have bought the newer Geovids. For most hunters and hunting situations, they work very well and the glass is excellent. To my eyes anyways..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by handwerk

Bingo. Had I not bought my older style Geovids at a close out price of $1,100.00, I would have bought the newer Geovids. For most hunters and hunting situations, they work very well and the glass is excellent. To my eyes anyways..

Appreciate all of the replies so far. I don’t necessarily need on board ballistics. But angle compensation would be a plus. I may have to find a Memorial Day sale or something but those are the front runners at the moment. I could be sold on the Burris at the price for the signatures and knowing their lifetime warranty, but I haven’t heard anything at all on them, good or bad.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by philgood80
Appreciate all of the replies so far. I don’t necessarily need on board ballistics. But angle compensation would be a plus.

Tag. I'm in the same boat.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been using my son's Vortex Fury when he isn't. Pretty nice unit. A bit heavy, but nice.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by okie john
Appreciate all of the replies so far. I don’t necessarily need on board ballistics. But angle compensation would be a plus.

Tag. I'm in the same boat.

Okie John

Me too...
Following...

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If you don't need ballistics, I'd give Doug a call and visit with him about GPO.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m looking to upgrade optics and I’m looking at range finding binoculars, but I have questions from those that have them.

Looking to save the funds for a high quality set in the $1,000-1,500 price range. This would include the Burris signatures at the bottom of that, the Vortex Fury, Sig Kilo, Leupold and Leica has one right at $1,500.

I’ve read some of the threads here about Sig’s 5 year warranty and the date of manufacture so that might be out. I know Burris and Leupold have good warranties but do rangefinder binos fall into the warranty repair category often? How long will the rangefinder last in the binoculars? Are rangefinders more of a disposable purchase every few years for those that use them regularly ?

Would I be better off getting a good pair of $1000ish binoculars and a good $2-300 rangefinder?

I would not buy a stand alone rangefinder at your budget. Looks to be several good options.

I have had set of Vortex Fury HDs for a few years and they are pretty good. Glass is good but not great and the RF is pretty great.

I still have my old Zeiss 10X45s and the Furys are not quite as good glass but a better RF.

It's going to take a big upgrade for my next set. A-K prisms and big reach on the RF. I like the newish Zeiss but the price is a bit high.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
used leica. they have been making them the longest. AND they actually make the units themselves. the rest you mention are just private labeled and made who knows where.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
We've got a demo Leica 10x42 3200.com coming in this week for only $1,749.99 if that works for you

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hard to beat several of Leica's IMO and within or right around your budget.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My buddy has top of line Zeiss. We had to change the battery twice on a 4 day mountain goat hunt. They have a lot of funky solutions to shoot too. I think he unloaded them after the hunt.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1234, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 55 invisible), 2,223 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,254
Posts18,486,311
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.