Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by Full3r
Well SamO, what shot better for you?

Okay, gents, here is the ugly truth. The pic does not lie!

As I said earlier, 15 shots each offhand at 15 yards. 15-20 seconds shooting time total for each gun.

You all know I'm a whiner and here it is, just when I got to shooting it started getting windy. Nothing terrible but 15-20 mph and I could really notice it with the red dot.

That said if I removed the worst shot from each group they all went around 5" for the remaining 14 shots. Except for the P226, I know the trigger pull is way different than the striker fired pistols and I still shot it like chit, it was around 7.5" for 14 but I also shot it last and it was getting windier by the minute.

Upper left, HK VP9

Upper right, Glock 19X

Middle, SA Echelon

Lower left, P320

Lower right, P226

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Hey sheriff.....

Howz about filling out a pledge card for this church you're dying to shoot up........and post us a sweet pic of that

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

You need to sell all that crap. Go pickup a couple 1911's and a 2011.

You are welcome

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
i;m a bivocational pastor of a country church and we formed a security detail and someone is always carrying.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well, if I went to church and had to carry a 9MM, it probably would be my S&W 6906. A bit fatter than a 1911 but also a bit lighter. I prefer the 2911 though and .45 ACP. In fact, when my wife was still alive I did go to church with her and did carry the Colt Combat Commander which I shot reasonably well. The pastor gave me permission to carry and a few weeks later revoked the permission. We never went back. Went to another church that didn't allow carrying so I just had an S&W M60 .36 Spl. in my pocket. I sure felt naked without that Colt Commander. The M60 made me feel a little better.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by PJGunner
The pastor gave me permission to carry and a few weeks later revoked the permission.
PJ

Why even ask?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
"Legion" sounds like a good church gun.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
The pastor gave me permission to carry and a few weeks later revoked the permission.
PJ

Why even ask?

In some states, it is illegal and a felony to carry in a church without the pasters permission.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Just convert to Episcopalian. No worries! Better wardrobe. Nicer cars. No more whack jobs in long coats with BO and murderous intent.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Kimber carry pro in 45acp goes with me on Sunday

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by MOGC
PJ

Why even ask?

In some states, it is illegal and a felony to carry in a church without the pasters permission.
That’s a bullschit law

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by earlybrd
PJ

Why even ask?

That’s a bullschit law

Any church I would attend, the pastor would probably be carrying anyway... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
I am part of the Church Security Team.
I have been carrying a Glock 37 Gen 3 for several years. It has a Holosun HE507C-GR-X2 "Vulcan Reticle" Optical Sight.
The G37 is a Glock 17 size handgun chambered in 45GAP. The Holosun 507C has a Green Chevron Reticle. Doing my research I believe it is the best Optical Sight for the application. That is why I went with it.
I carry IWB using a Caldwell Gunleather Custom Leather holster specially made for the G37 with the Optical Sight.
I also have a Double Mag Pouch on my left side, and a couple spare magazines in my vest pockets. Note: the G37 Magazines only hold 10 rounds. That brings my ammunition count up to 51 rounds. OR One round less than a fully loaded Glock 17 with Two Spare 17 round Magazines.

I have recently purchased a Glock 17 Gen 5. I will start working on it in the near future, getting the Optical Sight Cut. Purchasing the Holosun 507C Sight for it. Additional Magazines, etc. I am not a 9mm fan, however I plan to give the G17.5 a chance to shine.

Bob R

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thank you guys for the advice.

Something to think on for sure.

I couldn't imagine shooting in hectic conditions with 99% percent innocent people in the background.
I HOPE our mental and physical training matches eyes with muscles and when its right the gun goes bang all on its own like its supposed to.
Others around. Pick the right ammo. Not a Lehigh max penetrator. FWIW mentally I will take the risk and if I screw up and innocents die they were possible victims anyway.
What bothers me though is the legal part that LEO dont' really worry about that legally. But I am supposed to.

The bottom line, train the best you can. Pray the issue never comes. And if it does that you don't have to deal with it using an almost worthless handgun, that you can access your rifle.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
rost495;
Top of the morning my old friend, I hope you're all well whether you're still in your winter digs or you've migrated north for the spring already.

While I'm cognizant that Sam began this thread with tongue firmly planted in cheek AND that as a Canuck I cannot speak from personal experience about anything handgun/defensive carry related, I'd offer some thoughts for those who might find it useful.

During the course of my life as it pertains to church involvement, for about a decade I was a leader in the Ushers and Greeters and as such I developed some safety protocols for the congregation.

Many older church buildings are not set up with proper fire exits even, which makes orderly evacuation in any emergency complicated. Combine that with a usually elderly thus mobility impaired group of people as well as visitors who are untrained/new to everything can be an uphill struggle to say the least.

Statistically most churches on both sides of the medicine line are more likely to have a medical emergency where an Automated External Defibrillator will save some lives. Hopefully it goes without saying that like a firearm, having an AED without proper training in it's use is less than optimum.

Our church didn't have a stocked First Aid Kit before some of the work and time was put in developing the protocols and procedures.

Each Sunday someone needs to be the one on duty whose will dial 911 to get medical assistance coming should the need arise. It's amazing how many times everyone believes someone else has already made the call.

The pastoral staff need to buy into whatever programs are developed. Part of the buy in is if not having "drills" at very least mentioning it often enough that some in the congregation will act appropriately during an emergency.

Training people to look for potential threats isn't always possible, as some of the folks who are attending the service, especially those who want to greet and welcome others, are not remotely wired to be "sheep dogs" in any way, shape or form. Realize those folks exist, accept them for what they are, try to find enough "Sheep Dog/Doubting Thomas" types to balance it out and go from there.

Looking back through the decades of church attendance, specifically dealing with different sorts of emergencies and disturbances, it was always better to have at least some sort of a plan rather than nothing.

That's a really broad overview of the subject and truly it's likely better to have a thread on it's own about that rather than take Sam's further into the rhubarb.

All the best to you all rost495.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 03/11/24. Reason: more information

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
PJ

Why even ask?

You are joking?!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Holee cry holee freinds a question for the masses if you will.

I don't go to the church but if i was too what would I carry?

Sig P226, pretty sure it's what the 3 wise men were packin'.

There you have it, the contestants for the upcoming Sunday shoot-out.

I'm still feeding cow freinds but will get back to you with the results later today.

Sam;
Good morning my old cyber friend, I hope calving season has been going okay and you're all well if not well rested.

Regarding the 3 wise men Sam, I've read a fair bit about them and while it's certainly speculation, it's feasible that part of the stir that the "We 3 Kings from Orient Are" would have caused was they'd be pretty much a small army.

The times on the Judean frontier then were quite rough, so travel for anyone not armed to the teeth between cities was tenuous at best. In order to survive what had to be at very least several month's trek across hostile country, they'd have their version of Delta Force/JTF2 crew along with them.

That helps explain the reaction from King Herod who had to be at least a tad concerned when this "visiting army" arrived unannounced in his back yard.

Pistol sights and old guy eyes are apparently in a constant state of flux Sam.

I'll also say that my 60 plus year old eyes do not work for distilled monkey spit with some indoor lighting.

The church we attend now and apparently most local restaurants have the same light spectrum Sam, such that I cannot read a menu to save my life without pulling out the pocket flashlight. eek

If'n I was planning on having to shoot in one of those lighting conditions, I'd think it prudent to see what sort of optical dot my eyes could actually see in said situation, you know?

Same goes for any eating establishment, etc. Sam, even if you're not going to start attending services anytime soon, you might wish to pack whilst taking the Mrs. out for an occasion, right?

Couldn't hurt to see the sights/dot if the need arises.

Speaking of low light, I see a few switched on folks here often either have a weapon mounted light or a decent pocket rocket light along with the packing piece.

All the best to you all Sam.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Dwayne, great insight as usual from you. As a former school principal, I had to insist on rectifying some of the issues that you had, at our church. We have many diabetics and a woman to lose consciousness due to low blood sugar. It took a while to get 911 there. Everybody thought someone else had called. The directions to our church weren’t clear and the ambulance was delayed. Then they had trouble with our handicapped ramp, had to turn the gurney onto the ramp. We had to install a larger side door at ramp and widen the ramp. Luckily, our pastors wife is a nurse and several have first aid training. We also keep packets of honey, hard candy, and something from the drug store to boost low sugar under the pulpit in a first aid kit. Not much storage as our church was built in 1872 and the pews are homemade with square nails. The restrooms are in the fellowship hall/kitchen - a separate building behind the church. No one had ever devised a written safety/security/ emergency plan -ever; as long as the church had been in existence. We also had poor or no cell tower reception at our location and no landline. Usually a policy is developed after there is a problem.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
PJ

Why even ask?

I do believe I would tell that pastor to go to hell, if he had an issue with somebody carrying

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I asked to. Only to save lives. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Just what the congregation needs...mashed potato brains carrying guns in church

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
PJ

Why even ask?

You are joking?!

Open the link and scroll down to the map. States in blue are where any particular church may either allow or ban concealed carry in their house of worship and on their property at their discretion as any private property owners might do. States in yellow allow concealed carry ONLY by permission of the church leadership. In the two states in red, New York and Mississippi, carrying in a church is illegal under any circumstances.

https://www.concealedcarry.com/law/concealed-carry-in-churches/

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,394 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,164
Posts18,484,441
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.