Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 64 1 2 3 4 5 63 64
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER
I don't. I was raised Catholic because of my Mom, at around age 14 we could make our own decision. Both of my sisters did the same thing. My Father a retired Earth scientist has always been an atheist. My first day in catechism, which I believe was in fourth grade. The teacher started telling the story of Noah's Ark. Even at that age I thought this is a bunch of bullshit! smile My Father never ever influenced me and I didn't know about his beliefs until 16-17 years old. My folks are both 88 and are Highschool sweethearts and have been married 69 years. My Father has always supported her on everything.

I doesn't bother me that People practice religion. It's just extremely upsetting of the devious side of it. Alway's wondered how many members feel the same.
I absolutely believe in God and the salvation of Christ through faith.
My Mom was raised as a catholic, but she told me about the priest preaching in Latin, and actually discouraging people to read the Bible on their own! (1930s)
She didn’t drive, and Dad seldom went to church. He finally accepted Christ on his deathbed!
But Mom always told us kids about God and Jesus. I believed in Jesus long before i ever became a Christian. I know it was Moms prayer and belief that finally got me into church.
Carol was raised as a catholic too, while we were away in my military service, her family stopped going to Catholic Church and joined a local Christian church.
When we got home, Carol and Ben went without me with her family. (Nazerene)
Ben was 6 or 7. He wondered why he had to go to church, and I didn’t!😀
So I was guilted into going, because of my own personal faith from Mom!😀
I found church to be very helpful in my day to day life, and we were there constantly if the door was open! I got baptized by them, and Carol and I jointly led study groups and taught Sunday School at a Jr High level!
When she left me, it tore my whole world apart. I stopped attending church altogether. I still believed, and I figured when Christ wanted me, He’d know where to find me. No one from that church called me, or tried to see how I was doing!
When I got with Penny, I attended her church, (Methodist) I I wasn’t feeling nourished like I had before, and only went on holidays and special occasions.
Last fall, I stopped to get a haircut, and a book called “Examining Our Heritage was on the shelf.
I wanted my own copy, so looked on the computer and found it was written locally by a preacher at the Faith Baptist Church, so I thought I’d give it a shot!
If Christ had drove me there Himself, the message wouldn’t have been any clearer
This church teaches right out of The Book, and it reinforces everything with more Scripture. It surely makes me want to be there!
Like I said, when Dave died, I know I was covered on dozen’s of prayers from that support and here on the ‘Fire. It was tough on me, cause we were really close. But I also know that Dave had that same faith, put there bu Mom!
Not trying to convert any sinners here, but I wanted to answer your legitimate question, and share my faith. I always love threads like this.
Hopefully my Son and DI L will see this. They both seem to avoid religious discussion. I feel it my duty as a father to make sure of them.
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Yes I do.

MOLON LABE
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Yes and strongly Roman Catholic.

The way life should be.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
SOMETHING created the universe. It cannot have created itself. The nature of that creator is open to debate and much mystery.
The problem with that argument is that if something must have created the universe, then something must have also created God. So there must be another God to create the first God, and so it goes on and on.

Turtles all the way down.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Yep. Lived with him actually! My Dad always said “son, I am GOD…. I brought you into this world, and I can take you out! Sounded pretty God like to me!!

Last edited by jetjockey; 03/11/24.
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Define "God".

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Define "God".

You've stated you don't many times. Move along with the rest of the fools.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Yes, absolutely, as is my right.

I see what you did there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Define "God".
A higher power could be a doorknob if that's what your belief is.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
SOMETHING created the universe. It cannot have created itself. The nature of that creator is open to debate and much mystery.
The problem with that argument is that if something must have created the universe, then something must have also created God. So there must be another God to create the first God, and so it goes on and on.

Not necessarily. That logic assumes that the Creator experiences time at all or in a manner similar to how we experience it. Time is part of spacetime, which is a component of this universe. It might be nonexistent or function far differently in whatever reality in which the Creator exists separate from this Universe. For example, the rate of the passage of time differs enormously from that on the surface of the earth for objects traveling at near the speed of light relative to the earth or in an extreme gravitational field, such as near the event horizon of a black hole. Without those principle being applied, GPS satellite systems would be worthless minutes after their launch. Atomic clocks on earth tick more slowly than those in zero gravity in orbit.

Time for the Creator, if it exists at all, could be far different than what we observe and experience. It might not be so linear. It might be incomprehensibly weird to us.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by TwoTall
I was raised catholic also so I understand what a bad first experience about religion you had. Catholic is a joke, it has nothing to do with Jesus or God. Find a good church that preaches the Bible, your life literally depends on it. Too not believe in God is foolish.

Interesting.

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Yes

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yes indeed. You will also and it may be too late then.

Romans 1:20 - For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen; being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse. KJV

GOD’s creation reveals 2 things about Him: His eternal power and Godhead. Creation reveals that God is powerful; hence, man is obligated to Him and the fact He is God. No man is able to stand before God and say he turned away from God because He did not did not give any light. All men have had the revelation of God thru His creations, therefore they are without excuse. Even the heathens. If you love the outdoors like many of us in the Fire do; you can’t help but known that there is a higher power, God and Creator.

Last edited by carrollco; 03/11/24.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I accept his reality

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
It's not hard to believe in God. It just depends on how widely you define God. Taken to one extreme, you can define God as the sum total of the laws of physics or even as existence itself. At the other extreme you can believe there is a little man-like "thing" up above us who listens to our prayers and grants those wishes, punishes those that are bad, rewards those that are good, decides to creates things, intervenes with our daily lives. It just depends where you draw the line and say that is God.
i That post hit home. Humans are and will be too dumb to figure out the universe. I could only imagine what is out there.

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Yes...but some churches give me pause.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by johnn
Originally Posted by gunchamp
I don't. I was raised Catholic because of my Mom, at around age 14 we could make our own decision. Both of my sisters did the same thing. My Father a retired Earth scientist has always been an atheist. My first day in catechism, which I believe was in fourth grade. The teacher started telling the story of Noah's Ark. Even at that age I thought this is a bunch of bullshit! smile My Father never ever influenced me and I didn't know about his beliefs until 16-17 years old. My folks are both 88 and are Highschool sweethearts and have been married 69 years. My Father has always supported her on everything.

I doesn't bother me that People practice religion. It's just extremely upsetting of the devious side of it. Alway's wondered how many members feel the same.
Yes, I absolutely believe in God! And what you are saying is your opinion and nothing more. The world would be be much better place if we all followed Christian morals

I would beg to disagree, how much blood has been shed in the name of religion?
If we all followed Biblical Christian morals, there would be no bloodshed. The problem is that few do follow them. The world is awash with those who CLAIM to be Christians but who aren't, doing exactly the opposite.

Every religious zealot I know claims there is only one god, and the one they believe in is the true god.

How is this even possible?

I think it's man's way of explaining what they don't understand and their fear of the unknown.

So many fear death, yet it might be the greatest joy ever!

NO ONE truly knows.

You are saying it's man's interpretation of religion that has caused all the hate and bloodshed, it certainly doesn't speak well for christianity and religion in general.

Any sane person would conclude religion is a huge problem.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stikshooter
Yes, I absolutely believe in God, and I don’t push my beliefs on anyone, but I can’t see how a man can not believe in a higher power and believe we are only on this earth by chance.

Pure chance yer dad stuck his dick in yer mum.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by johnn
Originally Posted by gunchamp

Yes, I absolutely believe in God! And what you are saying is your opinion and nothing more. The world would be be much better place if we all followed Christian morals

I would beg to disagree, how much blood has been shed in the name of religion?
If we all followed Biblical Christian morals, there would be no bloodshed. The problem is that few do follow them. The world is awash with those who CLAIM to be Christians but who aren't, doing exactly the opposite.

You don't have to be a Christian to have and follow morals...
Geez

Page 3 of 64 1 2 3 4 5 63 64

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,495 guests, and 840 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,371
Posts18,488,327
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.