Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
p5200 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
This is a Forster FLS Die. It's 308 cases when running through the die they 4 or 5 cases have came out with a ring close to the base of the case? Anyone know what could be causing this? The dies haven't seen used in a couple years. The dies were bought new and hardly used. Should I take it apart and try cleaning it out real good? Thanks! Tried to post photo but it says file is too big. There's no groove can't feel it with fingernail.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Simple, you've got it tightened down a hair too much. Back it off just a hair or so... Is it still chambering as is?

Eventually the brass will come apart at the web, if you keep reloading it like that.

Don't know if you toss a case after X Amount of Reloads, or keep using it until the case fails.

Just back the die off a little until the ring at the case bottom ( web )isn't there.

If it doesn't chamber, take some off the mouth of the case with a trimmer and it should chamber just fine.

Not a real big problem to correct.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

P
p5200 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I ordered gun waiting on shipment so I can't try it. you mean die is screwed down too far? The die is now just touching no overcam at all. I's a lot better but, I sure won't be able to bump the shoulders with this die though. The brass is once fired and some is new doesn't seem to matter.

Last edited by p5200; 03/13/24.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've screwed a bunch of dies down to the shell holder and its never scraped off a ring. Either the die is to small at the base or your chamber is large at the base is the only time ive had it happen.
Check to make sure there's a smooth chamfer at the very bottom of your die. Measure a fired case then one thats resized at the base if its more than .004 difference theres your problem.

Last edited by sherm_61; 03/13/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you are seeing a ring at the base I would be curious if you are not moving the shoulder back too far and causing a headspace issue. Are you checking how far the shoulder is moving back when sizing?
Like seafire said, it sounds like you need to back off the die.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The 308 case is a little over 1 5" long to the datum line with about.016 taper, even if he was pushing the shoulder back .015 to much he would be lucky to squeeze the case by more than .0005 at the base.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
He says the gun is "on order", so probably shell cases that have been fired in an oversize chamber, but who the hell know with out pictures?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Measure a sized case, if it does it on new brass you got a bad die. The base of the die shouldn't even really touch the base of new brass or theres a problem with the new brass, measure a piece of new brass before you size it.
I size my 30-28 cases back .004 at the base its tight but it doesn't shave the brass.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I`ve seen this happen with different makes of brass too, and once fired range stuff fired out of who knows what. I`ve a 6 ARC, and PPU brass shows a partial ring, like the brass is thinner on one side, the Hornady brass does not.

If he hasen`t got the rifle yet, could be worrying about something that may not happen.

Some questions are difficult to decypher.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Oh theres a problem rifle or no rifle. Read its doing it on new brass.
Brass or die problem one or the other some measuring will tell the story which one.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Why would he be resizing "new" brass?

P
p5200 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I'll try to get some measurements for comparison. I tried posting a photo but it said file is too large. Also, the brass that got the ring so bad was Winchester. I took some long wooden Qtips and slight oil and scrubbed inside of die. After that I started on Remington brass. The Remington fired once brass came out pretty good. But I don't know if it was the scrubbing of die, or different brand of brass? I don't have any more Winchester brass to try now. The die is barely touching base plate on my Forster Coax press.

Last edited by p5200; 03/13/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been reloading for over 50 years and one thing I have learned is to never set up a sizer without trying them in the chamber of the firearm in which they will be used.
Sometimes it works out but I have been burned enough that I don't do it any longer. It also keeps you from over working your brass. YMMV.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
Probably to get the necks the correct size or get dents out, new brass isn't perfect by no means.
I run every piece through a FL die no matter what, but I certainly don't bump the shoulders back unless it needs it which on the new ADG 28 Nosler brass for my 30- 28 it did.
I dont leave nothing to chance.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I suggest posting a picture of said ring

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by CGPAUL

Because I don't trust the brass when its brand new... I've had bags of brass from manufacturers, in various calibers.. Some were perfect and resizing them gave NO resistance whatsoever... yet another batch from the same manufacturer in the same caliber, gave plenty of resistance.

Conclusion, guess some of their manufacturing tools need periodic adjustment that doesn't always get done, when needed.

It doesn't take much time to resize new brass, vs loading it up and then finding it doesn't chamber or feed.

I'll take the first situation vs the second., any day of the week.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire
It doesn't take much time to resize new brass . . .

And some folks have too much time on their hands smirk

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
so you don't have enough time to resize new brass?

it would take less of your 'valuable time' if you just bought factory ammo ya'know....

P
p5200 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I've tried posting picture 3 times but it keeps saying file is too big.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by p5200
I've tried posting picture 3 times but it keeps saying file is too big.

Screen shot your picture, crop it appropriately, upload to postimages dot com.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (badwolf, 257 mag, 35, BABore, 11 invisible), 1,440 guests, and 923 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,066
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.