Print Thread
Hop To
D
devnull Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I just picked up an IR scope for what is now a problem with hogs at our place. We've started trapping them with a permit but some have become educated and won't go in the trap. With that said, I'd like to light up the trap with a red light so that I can see around the trap at night. I'm thinking some kind of flood light that's on solar. What do you recommend?

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
https://pulsarnv.com/products/talion-xq38

You don't need external light with thermal. Thermal makes you a self-contained hunter. I have used mine now for 18 months & could not be happier.

Bought the XQ38 thru Amazon on the free finance plan. Didn't hurt so bad buying it that way. I like it for many reasons, the first of which being its low profile.
Buy once, cry once. I don't think I could have made a better choice for my first toe in the water with thermals.

In the end, you'll be glad you bought thermal.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
The green light will not spook at feeder at all. Can't remember the brand off the top of my head. It comes on with movement at the feeder. Pigs ignore it.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
My friend uses green motion lights on his feeders and they work great.

With the lights we just use regular scopes, no issues.

He got his off of Amazon.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Let me enlighten all you hog hunters. I have killed one hog and now I am an expert. Just shoot them during the day with an old gun an iron sights and you won’t need all that specialized equipment…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

D
devnull Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Shrapnel,
I wish I could shoot them during the day but they just don't come out then.

J
JJF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Two (2) online vendors that advertise what I think you are looking for are: Elusive Wildlife Technologies and Sniper Hog Lights. I'm sure there are others but from these 2 I have placed orders (though not feeder lights and solar panels). Both are reputable.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I wouldn't shoot around the trap if you want it to be more effective
Leave as little of your scent as possible around and in it, keep it baited and they will go in eventually.

A light is a good idea though, green works well for hogs. Regular old white light also works, they get used to it. Lots of folks by the motion sensor lights from HF and the like as they are cheaper than dedicated hog lights. Ones that comes on slowly seem to work best.
I've used the kill light from Elusive and it worked well too.

Get an LED flashlight for your rifle too, https://www.longhorntactical.com/Orion-Predator-H30-Green-Hunting-Light-p/fl-or-h30-startup.htm
We have 2 of these and they work well. Not issues with the scope mount on our 300wsm rifles either. It stays on with the recoil.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by wytex
Leave as little of your scent as possible around and in it, keep it baited and they will go in eventually

A light is a good idea though, green works well for hogs. Regular old white light also works, they get used to it. Lots of folks by the motion sensor lights from HF and the like as they are cheaper than dedicated hog lights. Ones that comes on slowly seem to work best.

LOL......tell hanco that.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Had green lasers and IRs both, hogs seem to detect the IR, act like they see movement more than the IR light itself. The thermal is really the ticket, you put out nothing that can be detected. A wide field of view and a locking tripod with a very low arch in the trajectory, ie flat shooting cartridge.
Own a farm, shoot them and bury them with the tractor and front end loader. No sport, just eradication.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Rapier
Had green lasers and IRs both, hogs seem to detect the IR, act like they see movement more than the IR light itself. The thermal is really the ticket, you put out nothing that can be detected. A wide field of view and a locking tripod with a very low arch in the trajectory, ie flat shooting cartridge.
Own a farm, shoot them and bury them with the tractor and front end loader. No sport, just eradication.

Excellent bullet test media, IMHO.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Quite a few vids on youtube in regards to different lights for night-time illumination of a particular area.

I am going to order two of these today.

https://www.allseasonsfeeders.com/products/asf-boar-light

I have both night vision and thermal, but I want to use more of my traditionally scoped rifles, and hunting over a feeder light worked in the past and will work now.

There are a ton of cheaper options on Amazon, and more expensive options with the Sniper Hog Light and Elusive Wildlife Technology equipment.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 03/15/24.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I started using the cheap motion sensor closet light. Stick them to a strip of sheet metal and either wire them in place or use a screw gun. The key I think is the light not be too bright and be 6-8 feet over the hog. He may think its a star or the moon. $18. for 6.

Last edited by rickt300; 03/15/24.

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have done the following and it has worked very well me here in South Texas.

I use regular scopes for all my hog hunting ....no thermal / IR.

What has been stated about green lights is the way to go is very true.

All we are doing and talking about is spot lighting for hogs......GREEN LIGHT is the best. Eye flash is easy to see with green filters or lights.

This is what I carry with me in a turkey/dove vest. I bought a 3 D cell mag light and converted it to a a 525 lumen LED. I bought the mag light accessory kit that comes with ...blue, red and clear lens covers with rubber bezel to hold the green plexi-glass.
I then bought a pack of 12 green plexi-glass sheets and cut to fit the same diameter as the lens covers. I use this mag light as my spot light and its good to about 100 yards.
Best part about the mag light is that it can be focused from flood....seeing eye flash/reflection... to tight beam..picking up a lone animal.

For the truck its a cigarette lighter outlet or cut to clamp to a battery. A regular hand held spot light...same kind for boats (frog gigging) and such, 1400 lumens with a green plexi-glass cut to fit works great.

Mag-light....$40.00
Spot light....$37.00
Plexi- glass....$14.00
Bulb for mag-light $19.00

So for $110.00 to $130.00 even less if you have some of this already, you or anyone else can do very well.

Best
Heavy

Last edited by HeavyDove; 03/15/24.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by wytex
Leave as little of your scent as possible around and in it, keep it baited and they will go in eventually

LOL......tell hanco that.

I don't need to tell hanco anything, he knows what he's doing.
Op is having trouble getting pigs in his trap, just trying to help with that.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Let me enlighten all you hog hunters. I have killed one hog and now I am an expert. Just shoot them during the day with an old gun an iron sights and you won’t need all that specialized equipment…

SHRAPNEL, you have a delightful sense of humor !!! Is that 'FACTORY WOOD" on that OLD RAG of a rifle ??

"not too grumpy"
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by oldwoody2
Originally Posted by shrapnel

SHRAPNEL, you have a delightful sense of humor !!! Is that 'FACTORY WOOD" on that OLD RAG of a rifle ??

👍🤣👍

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
We use green light motion sensor lights on our feeders for hog hunting. Crazy how bright they are at night. You won't have any problems using standard scopes if you want to use them. Don't know how they would work or interfere with your thermal.

Link to Amazon: You can buy them from single to three packs.

https://www.amazon.com/Vizzlema-Feeder-Outdoor-Hunting-Motion/dp/B075VL2323

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 222Sako, 1badf350, 21, 48 invisible), 2,181 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,764
Posts18,476,696
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.