-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 27 of 72 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 71 72
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the reply. If you'll back off the bitterness just a touch we have something to talk about.

The starting at the bottom and working your way up - I'm still seeing that or saw that. I was a programmer/analyst, liked what I did and didn't want to go into management, but I saw guys half my age - Gen X and Millennials - start out with the company and proceed upward. Maybe the lack of upward mobility doesn't exist in some other fields, I don't know.

The population has indeed risen a lot, it was 220 million when I joined the work force, today it's 342 million. More people competing for the same resources drives up prices. Is that the direct fault of one age group?

A programmer in 1970 might make $12,000, a nice house might cost $25,000. The 1970's saw huge "stagflation" - slow economic growth, high unemployment along with high rates of inflation. That same programmer in 1980 might make 2 1/2 times as much, $30,000, but was looking at the same house costing $100,000, four times as much, with a 16% mortgage to boot. People trying to buy houses in the early 2000's saw prices rise dramatically almost month by month, right up until they fell.

People starting out have always had it hard. I had five separate jobs go out from under me over the first 20 years of my career - two companies went out of business, two moved away and one was bought by a large national corporation who promptly fired all of us and replaced us with their people. I had to find work at new companies about every four years on average. In 1990 that new work didn't come quickly enough so my house was foreclosed by the bank. Not crying woe is me, that's just the way my life's cookie crumbled. Others have gone through much worse.

My Gen Z grandnephew is just now graduating a 4 year apprenticeship as an Electrician. He has high hopes for his future and wants to open his own business. His older brother just got out of prison. I recently had a conversation with a young man working the counter at a sandwich shop, he is graduating from Boise State this year with a degree in Civil Engineering and chose that field because of the many opportunities and good pay.

I don't lack empathy or compassion for younger folks, times are indeed hard right now, but they've been hard before and they will be again. What I have seen through Gen X, Y and now Z is that some folks choose paths that make it less hard. If someone wants to feel better by saying your hardship was only a 4 and mine is a 7 so you suck and I hate you, well, go for it. If it feels bleaker and more hopeless than ever before, 1) no one in history has ever personally experienced the entirety of ever before and 2) that could very rightfully be blamed on folks setting unrealistic expectations of what life is really like.

Bottom line is, life sucks and then you die. Or not, at least the life sucks part. That seems arrogant and insulting, but it's true and always has been. It sucked more for some folks - Mongol invasion, the Black Death, Auschwitz and Dachau - and it sucked less for others. But another truism in life is that one's attitude shapes one's experiences. If someone thinks they're screwed, they definitely are. If not, there's hope and a very real probability that things get better. That also sounds trite and dismissive, but I'm afraid it's about all this boomer has really learned in life and all he can offer.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Are all the boomers dead yet?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
The folks that rely on SS would not have saved the money on their own.

They just wouldn't have done it.

That’s probably true.
It is absolutely true. And a significant percent of the population does not have a bank account and therefore have not one penny in the bank or anywhere else. I'm not sure how they handle receiving their payments. Maybe some kind of card.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Originally Posted by RUM7
We are way off track.
This thread is about Boomers walking around with a stick up their azz therefore souring their last handful of turns around the sun.

Really it's an important PSA.

Pffftttttt, We can stroke this thread for days…You never stated any rules.
True. You Boomers use your age to justify everything.
That, I can't wait for.
Another PSA: If you plan on doing much stroking, don't forget to take the blue pill at least an hour ahead of time.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I refuse to let the, "Boomers?, youth, and lack of experience be an issue in this thread. laugh
Buddy, you are so out of your depth on any discussion that even brushes against an intelligent point of view.

You need to keep your floaties on and stay in the shallow end of the pool. For your own good.

- Wabi-
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dale06

You are likely correct. Pre SS people people got by.

Possibly, But the average life expectancy back in 1940 was about 60

Not an apples to apples comparison.

pre wwii a lot more americans lived on family farms. keep the old folks around, add more water to the soup, keep going. plant a bigger garden, can more food.

nowdays, can't imagine how this country would survive a great depression, almost no one lives on farm. most farmers go to the grocery store.

pre SS people lived in a different world in america.

not sure what happened in big cities in great depression? soup kitchens? relief work? wpa?

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sycamore

pre wwii a lot more americans lived on family farms. keep the old folks around, add more water to the soup, keep going. plant a bigger garden, can more food.

nowdays, can't imagine how this country would survive a great depression, almost no one lives on farm. most farmers go to the grocery store.

not sure what happened in big cities in great depression? soup kitchens? relief work? wpa?
It would be an epic collapse. I think it is coming.
I'm worried because I do live on a farm. Hope I own enough bullets.

- Wabi-
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Sycamore

Back then you relied on your kids to take care of you when you got old. Good luck with that now. The selfish, lazy, arrogant, worthless little pricks gonna let you starve. Haaahaaahaahaahaa !

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Anyone else notice that Batard fella who rides his bike in the highway? Talk about entitled !

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by navlav8r

That’s probably true.
It is absolutely true. And a significant percent of the population does not have a bank account and therefore have not one penny in the bank or anywhere else. I'm not sure how they handle receiving their payments. Maybe some kind of card.
A friends wife works in SS, years ago she told me some stats on a survey they did. I don't remember the exact number but the majority of AA's are broke-$ within ten days. Many are broke in 2-3 days.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hahahaha!

Just a victim of the system.....

Would you boomers give back some or all of your entitlements to help save the country?

You are a dumb [bleep]! That is for sure.

A 380 in my pocket is better than a 45 in my truck!

Violence may not be the best option... but it's still an option.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General James Mad Dog Mattis
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The younger ones complaining about boomers need to figure it out that SS is not an entitlement. You have been brain washed by government. SS would have been solvent for years to come if congress had not raid the funds by people you voted into office.

All those bitching about boomers are going to realize some day, they will be there themselves.

I guess I am a pre boomer, but I never took a penny from unemployment insurance, never was laid off or fired, I am debt free, I have enough saved for retirement. Today,s generation usually have nothing saved, don't plan on any retirement have to have all the the electric gadgets and can't even figure out what gender they are.

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/16/24.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by COLORADO_LUCKYDOG
Hahahaha!

Just a victim of the system.....

Would you boomers give back some or all of your entitlements to help save the country?

You are a dumb [bleep]! That is for sure.

So another one in the "no" column.

We kinda figured.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can't believe this thread is still Booming.......

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
It's a Boomer-ang.

It keeps come back around.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I can't believe this thread is still Booming.......

It's more like a millennial circle jerk.

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
It must be an age thing.

Apparently even the X'ers become insufferable over time.

I am MAGA.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Conrad hates SS but loves his .gov farm subsidies.

Ohh the hypocrisy.

LOL

Page 27 of 72 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 71 72

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

418 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 163bc, 42 invisible), 1,493 guests, and 1,070 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,216
Posts18,524,435
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.