R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by rickt300
You’re certainly entitled to your opinion; but it’s the basic definition of entitlement.

Look it up.

I did, and I feel differently than you about it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You “feel” differently? It’s the first definition ffs. If you put in, you have a legal right to receive it. This isn’t hard.

So I note is says nothing about having paid for that right does it? If I buy a bag of potatoes are those potatoes an entitlement? Is SS a right? It's not in the Constitution though it was legislated into existence. Is gun ownership an entitlement? Free speech? If I have a just claim to SS why can't I ask for all my benefits in cash payable immediately? My 401K worked out nicely, dumping 6.2% of my income into SS over 50 years not so much. Some of those years I put in 12.4% of my income because I was self employed. Seems to me that as a lump sum adjusted for inflation would be some nice coin. As far as that goes I pay taxes on the SS I receive and at the same time I pay into SS where I work. Personally I would rather have invested that money into my 401K. I see SS as a fund I was forced to pay into and do not see getting repaid as an entitlement.

Dog I rescued in January

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith
The only thing I'll give them shìt about is their naivety to believing what they see and hear online, or falling for photoshopped pics, fake Facebook profiles of hot chick's sending them friend requests, etc...

It's like a living meme....

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Chuck_R
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by okie
Originally Posted by gunzo
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by EdM
First SSC check arrived in February. Fishing trip in Alaska booked for this summer and a brown bear hunt a bit later. Panama fishing and Nanimbia next year. A new $30K a year buys some fun.

I didn’t know you were 67… only a fool would draw it at 62.

If you're making taxible money during that time, yes. But otherwise some numbers say the 67 year old drawee will have to live/draw several years to match the money drawn by the 62 year old drawee of the same age.

To late tonight for the correct numbers, but interesting. IMO.

Don't confuse them with simple math....

If one is broke and has no other means to support themselves then by all means start drawing on it at 70% at age 62. But to start drawing on it to pay for your big game hunting trips or other adventures well, I’m sure social security wasn’t meant for that. If you are a big money hustla like some on here proclaim to be just wait until 67 and draw the full 100%.

Depending on your longevity, you're overall payout may be larger by drawing early rather than waiting.

As I posted earlier, my breakeven point is 79 years old, IF I live longer than that it would have made better sense to wait until 66 or 67 to draw VS 65 as I plan to.

IF I die before 79 and had waited until 67, the .GOV "wins" in that my total payout would be less. That's not even taking into consideration that I can take a portion of the money I'm getting early and invest it, with good odds of getting a higher return than the increase in waiting until 67.

Currently the average life expectancy for a male in the US is somewhere around 76 years old. IF I die then, the delta is $21K less in total benefits IF I wait until 67 to start drawing VS. 65.

My expected payments until age 76 (based on my current status and no further payments into SS):

65 2891.00 a month for 132 months = $381,612.00
67 3336.00 a month for 108 months = $360,288.00

Now I can easily use my retirement savings as a bridging strategy until I start SS, but that money right now is doing really well in the market.

But; the average life expectancy in U.S if you reach age 65 is 86 for female and 83 for male.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by EdM
First SSC check arrived in February. Fishing trip in Alaska booked for this summer and a brown bear hunt a bit later. Panama fishing and Nanimbia next year. A new $30K a year buys some fun.

Never met either one of you gents.

I have been told best time to pull SS depends on the individual, their resources, their family history, etc.

From what I read from EdM, I would guess he has the numbers part down pat.

If he is pulling it at 62, there is some sound financial reasoning going on.

From what I read from 79s, he doesn't make stuff up either.

Waiting is probably the right move for him based on taxes, life expectancy, expected additional work income, etc.

Moral of the story: drawing ss for an individual at a particular age may or may not be a good move, depending on their unique circumstances.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
Originally Posted by Chuck_R
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by okie
Originally Posted by gunzo
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by EdM

If you're making taxible money during that time, yes. But otherwise some numbers say the 67 year old drawee will have to live/draw several years to match the money drawn by the 62 year old drawee of the same age.

To late tonight for the correct numbers, but interesting. IMO.

Don't confuse them with simple math....

If one is broke and has no other means to support themselves then by all means start drawing on it at 70% at age 62. But to start drawing on it to pay for your big game hunting trips or other adventures well, I’m sure social security wasn’t meant for that. If you are a big money hustla like some on here proclaim to be just wait until 67 and draw the full 100%.

Depending on your longevity, you're overall payout may be larger by drawing early rather than waiting.

As I posted earlier, my breakeven point is 79 years old, IF I live longer than that it would have made better sense to wait until 66 or 67 to draw VS 65 as I plan to.

IF I die before 79 and had waited until 67, the .GOV "wins" in that my total payout would be less. That's not even taking into consideration that I can take a portion of the money I'm getting early and invest it, with good odds of getting a higher return than the increase in waiting until 67.

Currently the average life expectancy for a male in the US is somewhere around 76 years old. IF I die then, the delta is $21K less in total benefits IF I wait until 67 to start drawing VS. 65.

My expected payments until age 76 (based on my current status and no further payments into SS):

65 2891.00 a month for 132 months = $381,612.00
67 3336.00 a month for 108 months = $360,288.00

Now I can easily use my retirement savings as a bridging strategy until I start SS, but that money right now is doing really well in the market.

But; the average life expectancy in U.S if you reach age 65 is 86 for female and 83 for male.

Agreed, but you/I also have to take into account hereditary longevity to some extent. In my case, I'll be "over-achieving" to make it to 79 based on family history. IF I do somehow make it to 83, the net loss (todays dollars) would be roughly $16K in drawing as planned at 65 VS waiting till I'm 67.

The biggest difference in when to claim IMHO, is the need/requirement.

For some they NEED it to be able to retire, for other's it's not NEEDED, but can make retirement more enjoyable. It's a personal choice and we all assume some risk. In my case I'd rather enjoy the next 5-10 years while physically capable of going on hunts etc.

I also plan on using some of the SS money to pay taxes on some ROTH conversions to gain more tax free income down the road.

Last edited by Chuck_R; 03/17/24.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for that post, Sycamore. I began drawing at 63 (wanted to do so at 62 but was still earning a little consulting money on the side that put me over the earned income limit that year.).
When I first sat down with my current financial manager several years ago, he asked "when to you plan to take SS?" When I answered "62", he said - "Thank goodness, you saved me from having to have to talk you into that!"

I really disagree with the earlier point that "really needing the money" is the only valid reason to take SS early. On the contrary, NOT needing the money is one of the very best reasons to take it as early as possible.
First - If you don't need it at all, and just invest it in equities, your expected value over time will be higher, because the market historically grows at much better than the percentage you realize leaving your SS with Uncle Sugar."
Second - If you're just going to use it to have fun with, money is a lot more fun when you're younger. The way our bodies start to degrade with age, an African safari may be a far more enjoyable event at age 63 than at age 68.

Lastly, ALL of the SS planning tools you see, and ALL that have been used to illustrate different folks' personal feelings about when to take it, have a common assumption - that the DEAL with SS remains unchanged. I contend this is highly unlikely.
As someone pointed out earlier, SS goes [insolvent] in 2033 (not really "belly-up"). What is the government likely to do to keep it working? They could increase the taxes on those not drawing it yet, or raise the age to be able to. But by far the most likely thing they'll do is legislate a "means test" to it. This is the easiest thing for a politician to NOT get voted out of office for as it is pretty easy for politicians to create "class envy" and convince most people that those who can live without it really don't deserve to get back any of that money they paid into it over their lifetimes.

So I took it early to:
-Get in the club early to already be an established member (grandfather clauses) when/if they start means-testing it
-Use it to have more fun with it while I'm relatively young.

Even if you think the entire decision process is just trying to maximize the money you make in your lifetime (versus maximizing the fond memories you'll have on your deathbed) the uncertainty of SS's future should be a consideration in your decision.

Cheers,
Rex

Last edited by TRexF16; 03/17/24.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

So I note is says nothing about having paid for that right does it?

We are clearly on separate pages; of different books.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

I was forced to pay into SS. Are entitlements forced? I am still paying into SS and paying taxes on the checks they send. How is that entitlement?

Dog I rescued in January

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I was forced to pay into SS. Are entitlements forced? I am still paying into SS and paying taxes on the checks they send. How is that entitlement?

Two yes/no questions:

Did you pay in?
Do you have a claim to receive benefits?

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

Two yes/no questions:

Did you pay in?
Do you have a claim to receive benefits?

Look jackass I was forced to pay in. I am still paying in. it is a pay to play Ponsi scheme that hasn't toppled just yet. It is only an entitlement if I had a choice in making the payments. In fact one could call SS an extortion racket with a small payout.

Dog I rescued in January

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by EdM

Never met either one of you gents.

I have been told best time to pull SS depends on the individual, their resources, their family history, etc.

From what I read from EdM, I would guess he has the numbers part down pat.

If he is pulling it at 62, there is some sound financial reasoning going on.

From what I read from 79s, he doesn't make stuff up either.

Waiting is probably the right move for him based on taxes, life expectancy, expected additional work income, etc.

Moral of the story: drawing ss for an individual at a particular age may or may not be a good move, depending on their unique circumstances.

I was planning on working a few more years towards maximizing my SS, as I was/am in fairly decent health.

Then, the detached retina thing with loss of vision would have prevented me from doing the job I liked where I worked. The job with LOTS of OT and not having to work around the bosses and scheidt on shore. They were worried about my depth perception and me possibly going over the side. I might have stayed if they'd allowed me to just work the 12 hr night shifts, but no they wanted me to go to days every few weeks in the rotation.

Penciling it out, without the OT I could make x dollars per year or I could retire, collect from my pension/retirement savings and start on SS at 62.5 or so and make..........x dollars per year.................and not have to work 8 months a year away from my wife and dogs, basically support another small household, drive back and forth from wherever she was working/living at the time, etc etc.

Those that have no regular life besides work, or any feeling of self worth unless they're working , might have taken another course than I did.

I have no issues with retirement and our lifestyle. The SS I do get allowed me to set the withdrawals from the retirement savings at a conservative level so that I'm mostly living off the interest. I will likely change that as I get older as I've never seen an armored car in a funeral yet.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
If you are self-employed, Staying in business to some degree. Lets you deduct on taxes.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Well I feel entitled today. Kids and grandkids were coming over to help remove carpet. I ran down and got paint tape, and paint. As soon as the carpet was out, I passed out paint, rollers and trays. Plus a couple trim brushes.
They are all painting, while I enjoy watching, and supervise. And looking at things on the web!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Heym06
Well I feel entitled today. Kids and grandkids were coming over to help remove carpet. I ran down and got paint tape, and paint. As soon as the carpet was out, I passed out paint, rollers and trays. Plus a couple trim brushes.
They are all painting, while I enjoy watching, and supervise. And looking at things on the web!
Dude,

you must have taken your Ultra Boomer Smart Pills this morning.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by old_boots
SS was never meant to be the sole means of retirement income, it was meant as a supplement. People are supposed to save for retirement, smart people do and dumb people don't...
Correct, SS was not meant to be a sole retirement income.
But back when, and still today, young and old live way beyond their means, via credit cards they can't support. Talk about fools eh? I can hardly believe the $80K trucks that I doubt haul much more than the driver, but look cool. And meanwhile, hundreds of thousands of jobs go unfilled, by those of working age.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Look jackass I was forced to pay in. I am still paying in. it is a pay to play Ponsi scheme that hasn't toppled just yet. It is only an entitlement if I had a choice in making the payments. In fact one could call SS an extortion racket with a small payout.

Words have meanings; and very specific ones. That you were “forced” to pay in has fúckall to do with it.

You paid in, you have a claim to receive benefits. No more; no less. All your other hand waving is superfluous. I’m not saying it’s fair; just; a good idea; or anything else. But it’s the very definition of an entitlement. That you wish to use alternate definitions or connotations of the word is on you and your willful obstinance.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Can you working slobs decide at which rate to pay into SS?

My folks talk about how there was a range of what they could pay. Min to max.

Is that how it is for you poor 9 to 5 bastards?

I am MAGA.
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Rickity is gonna blow a gasket

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You paid in, you have a claim to receive benefits. No more; no less. All your other hand waving is superfluous. I’m not saying it’s fair; just; a good idea; or anything else. But it’s the very definition of an entitlement. That you wish to use alternate definitions

LOL. Sounds so familiar……..

Kenneth wasn’t wrong yesterday, but today you go!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If you are a genX, you ain't gonna have SS.

If by some godforsaken miracle we do, I guess I'll take 3K a month (or whatever it is, I have no idea) and give it to my family, cause it's not in my calculations.

I suggest some take similar measures.

Last edited by TimberRunner; 03/17/24.
Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

212 members (257 mag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,782 guests, and 987 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,347
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.