Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Shot it all and then some".....right?

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
GB1

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I don't neck size anything, but I've found annealing does what it's supposed to do.

10's of thousands of cases fired once or twice is not the same as a couple few hundred fired dozens.

I'll judge what's necessary for myself......

Choose all you want, you won’t shoot in a lifetime what I do in a year. Once or twice on any of that brass was over 30 years ago…

Yeah, ok.

It’s ok to anneal, but could you tell me how long it would take to anneal and load that much ammunition?

I have a better question....

What is your "tens of thousands" of rounds of ammo, and what is it for? That would determine if annealing would be beneficial. For example, I have a stock pile of reloaded 556 ammo and a metric ass load more to reload. In fact, i just bought a Dillon to do it. Not a single round will be annealed because if it's ever needed it's just gonna lay on the ground and stay there.

I have a very hard time believing that "tens of thousands" of rounds are fired dozens of times every year as you say, but, whatever. And besides, I'm betting very heavy odds that your "pile" is outside the scope of the context of the OP, and of my response to the OP. Maybe you're just seeing an opportunity to brag up on your "pile". I dunno.

IMHO the bolded is key, it comes down to task and purpose which shapes your accuracy requirements. For instance, my 3gun ammo loaded on a Dillon 650, doesn't have the same requirements as my precision ammo.

I'm a fan of annealing, but I also like good chrono stats on my ammo used in precision rifles.

FL sizing will cure the headspace issues, but it will also shorten brass life if your chamber is oversized. I much prefer to size to fit a couple .001s under my chamber size.

Not going to claim to shoot 10s of 1000s of rds a year, but since we're showing pictures, this is my backyard:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I have 400 and 547yds off my back deck, full range goes out to 760yds.

My BC1000 can do around 300rds an hr.

Last edited by Chuck_R; 03/18/24.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Nice set up Chuck R. I have more than few .223's bolts and ar's I have found that using a case gauge on each case is the only way they will fit in any gun I own. Mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 03/18/24.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Nice set up Chuck R. Mb

THANKS!

It's been a work in progress for a while now.

And for those days when I don't feel like making the long commute:

Of course, it doesn't prove chit, I could just be plinking and only go through a couple hundred rds annually..

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Shrap,
The reason I anneal is because it seems to make the springback more consistent, not always, but most of the time.

When you say FL, are you actually PFLR’ing?

Last edited by alpinecrick; 03/18/24.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Nice set up Chuck R. I have more than few .223's bolts and ar's I have found that using a case gauge on each case is the only way they will fit in any gun I own. Mb

Bob,

I use basically the same method, I size to each chamber, using a Redding FL bushing sizing die. The sizing die is set up to FL size, but I back it off the appropriate amount to fit each chamber using die shims. I record the bushing used and die shim with that "lot" of ammo for that rifle.

I prefer to strip bolts and use "feel" to get my sizing, but do have a set of gauges (Horn and Sinclair).

I do the same with other rifles that I have in the same caliber. I also have a couple friends that come over to load with the same calibers, so a combination of shims and competition seating dies makes it a lot easier than constantly adjusting things.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Shrap,
The reason I anneal is because it seems to make the springback more consistent, not always, but most of the time.

I’m not sure what P is, but I do full length resize. Annealing is another process that you can certainly participate in. I choose not to and for that reason, just tried to establish how it isn’t always necessary. Back to the amount of ammunition, a person shoots if you had to the amount of cases that I shoot, you wouldn’t have time to shoot because you would be annealing.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Shrap,

I’m not sure what P is, but I do full length resize. Annealing is another process that you can certainly participate in. I choose not to and for that reason, just tried to establish how it isn’t always necessary. Back to the amount of ammunition, a person shoots if you had to the amount of cases that I shoot, you wouldn’t have time to shoot because you would be annealing.

what resizing lube do you use in your full length resizing die ? that`s the part i kinda hate is the each brass case clean up. thanks ,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by marzoom
So reloading for 308 cal which I have done for many years but just recently got back into reloading'
So using a Lee Reloader which only neck size. Why do I have some reloaded ammo give me resistance cambering into my rifle?
These have been fire form in same rifle. Do I have my Lee sizing die mal-adjusted and resizing too much of the cartridge neck?

That's the nature of neck sizing. Essentially each firing the case gets closer and closer to exact chamber size and it gets harder and harder to close the bolt. There probably is an accuracy gain, minute, but is it worth it if you have to fight the rifle to load every cartridge? Instead, I use a FL sizer die but I don't crank it clear down, instead, I set it up to kiss the shoulder and push back ever so slightly keeping the case dimensions the same every time whether it's the 2nd shot or the 22nd shot.

I see no need to neck size. Absolutely never in a hunting or varmint rifle. In a match rifle, I want bushing dies, not a neck sizer, for better accuracy yet. Then depending on the rifle's needs, a separate body die and shoulder / bump die.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Partial Full Length Resizing vs Full Length Resizing.

Sounds like you are using PFLR. Just bumping the shoulder back enough so the brass easily fits the chamber.

I use NK sizing or PFLR, depends on the brass and the particular chamber. When NK sizing eventually a guy does have to bump the shoulder back.

Last edited by alpinecrick; 03/18/24.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very well could just be dirty.

Texas bred and born
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The confusion about sizing terms is cropping up again. When I use a FL die to produce .002" shoulder setback from as fired dimensions, the neck, the shoulder and the body, i.e. the full length of the brass, has been sized. So that is full length sizing, set up to suit a particular chamber. That's what some call partial full length sizing, a bit of an oxymoron. They use the term full length sizing for reducing the case to like new dimensions, or nearly so, so it'll fit in any chamber that comes along.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Partial Full Length Resizing vs Full Length Resizing.

Sounds like you are using PFLR. Just bumping the shoulder back enough so the brass easily fits the chamber.

I use NK sizing or PFLR, depends on the brass and the particular chamber. When NK sizing eventually a guy does have to bump the shoulder back.

Agree. I use rifle specific brass, but have never had an issue with a Lee collet die, and Redding body die to bump shoulders when necessary. I don't redline my loads, so bumping shoulders happens fairly seldom. Works for me anyway.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by mathman
The confusion about sizing terms is cropping up again.

For the first 50 years of handloading nobody seemed confused by FL vs PFLR sizing. But sometime when I wasn’t looking confusion has apparently set in…

FL sizing is sizing the brass as much as the FL die will allow, which generally entails the ram touching the die and/or completely camming over.

PFLR is usually stopping short of touching the die with the ram, with the brass into the die just enough to bump the shoulder back. That’s not completely sizing the brass to the FL die’s ability.

Sizing brass back to original dimensions generally requires a small base die.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'll agree to disagree.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mathman, I think you and I are in agreement with the older definition of partial full length resizing which was really just neck sizing with a full length die without bumping the shoulder at all. Somewhere over the past few years it has started being used to describe minimal shoulder bumps by what are perhaps newer reloaders or a regional thing.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've seen crossover in the meaning for a while. Maybe I'm just being pedantic calling it full length sizing when the full length gets sized, however much or little. grin

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by mathman
I've seen crossover in the meaning for a while. Maybe I'm just being pedantic calling it full length sizing when the full length gets sized, however much or little. grin
I agree, we're did this "partial" come from?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bob Hagel used the partial resizing terminology as I described it above back in the 80s, if not earlier.

Last edited by MikeS; 03/18/24.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MikeS
Bob Hagel used the partial resizing terminology as I described it above back in the 80s, if not earlier.
I agree that is partial sizing with a FL die, but sizing the whole case is FL sizing no matter if its .001 or more, your sizing the whole case.

Last edited by sherm_61; 03/18/24.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,597 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,660
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.