Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#19315173 03/20/24
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I had jury duty this week. Not needed Monday. Had to go in Tuesday. Got kicked out via Voir Dire. They told me last night my service was over. I understand about the civic duty thing. It cost me 2 days of work and they never use me because of my Law Enforcement background. Seems like a waste to drive downtown and sit for 2-3 hours then get sent home. When I was an active duty officer I got a jury duty notice and responded with a letter stating that I was a covert Narcotics Detective (which was true) and that I really shouldn’t show my face in a court setting. The judge responded by saying “That’s very nice. See you next week”. 😂
I have since given up on trying to get out of serving.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
After the second time being rejected (obviously hard of hearing), I got a doctor's note - explaining that I would never recover from being so - and got tossed out of the jury pool.
I wouldn't have minded serving, but the acoustics in most courtrooms SUCK.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
I had jury duty this week. Not needed Monday. Had to go in Tuesday. Got kicked out via Voir Dire. They told me last night my service was over. I understand about the civic duty thing. It cost me 2 days of work and they never use me because of my Law Enforcement background. Seems like a waste to drive downtown and sit for 2-3 hours then get sent home. When I was an active duty officer I got a jury duty notice and responded with a letter stating that I was a covert Narcotics Detective (which was true) and that I really shouldn’t show my face in a court setting. The judge responded by saying “That’s very nice. See you next week”. 😂
I have since given up on trying to get out of serving.

Ron

I got notice once to serve in Michigan while being stationed in Texas. No matter what I told them in MI - they wanted me there for jury duty (talking town of 8300, 1450 miles away) and if I didn't show I'd be in contempt. Had to go to JAG, explain to them what the deal was and what I had explained to the court. Then they sent a strongly worded letter to the court. I didn't go and never heard another peep from anyone there. I wonder what was in that letter.

Me

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mark shubert
After the second time being rejected (obviously hard of hearing), I got a doctor's note - explaining that I would never recover from being so - and got tossed out of the jury pool.

I have tinnitus from flash bangs and gunfire inside houses, and 13 years flying helicopters. I can still hear the judge’s instructions, so I can’t use that one. My wife is fascinated by court proceedings and would love to serve on a jury. They won’t use her either because she is married to a retired police officer.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
You do not possess the liberal bone so you’re not needed. If you were a sisi they’d have picked you.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was informed via a letter that I might be on-the-hook for jury duty at the end of April.

I can see it now.

"Mr Mama, do you own a firearm?"

"Yes I do."

"How many do you own?"

"I don't know. I haven't counted them recently."

That will go over like a fart in church but it happens to be true.

I am a conservative with a lowercase "c".
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Timely subject. I'm scheduled to report on April 8th.
Last time was on the day of President Trump's inauguration. I sat there for the entire day, only to be rejected because I had been a part-time cop back in the 1980's.
I am willing to do my "civic duty", now that I am retired, but there ought to be a way to speed up the selection process.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I've been called for jury duty twice in once each in different counties. The process was different in each.

the one required me to show up daily until I was either seated on a jury or was dismissed three times or my two weeks was up. Blocks of 50 potential jurors at a time were called up. This was in a rather large county with numerous cases per day. I was dismissed from a civil case on the first day but was seated for a criminal case the next only to have the defendant take a plea before the start. That ended my service there. I had worked in law enforcement in that county for 5 years and worked closely with several police departments in my then current position but that did not seem to be a concern for any of the attorneys as none dismissed me upon finding out my past and present occupations.

The other time I had to call in the night before to see if I was needed. I did this for three days before I was told there were no further cases on the docket and I fulfilled my duty.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
Originally Posted by mark shubert

I have tinnitus from flash bangs and gunfire inside houses, and 13 years flying helicopters. I can still hear the judge’s instructions, so I can’t use that one. My wife is fascinated by court proceedings and would love to serve on a jury. They won’t use her either because she is married to a retired police officer.

Ron
I could "kinda" hear the judge, but not the attorneys (facing away) and many witnesses just mumble.
I've dealt with tinnitus since age 15, or so. Audiologist says "trauma", possibly along with genetics.

On call 6 weeks at a time, here.
"The Warden" served 2 weeks on a trial - Fed District Court in Albuquerque, though.
Man, did I ever get tired of eating out! laugh laugh laugh

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Last time I was called in, I tried to say anything I could to prejudice myself so I wouldn’t be picked. I was very opinionated when answering questions. They picked me.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have to appear at 8am April 11th for jury duty.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was the SRO at my local high school and I got called in for the district court. I spent 3 days setting around and I was paid by the City for doing it. I didn't even bother to go in and apply for my jury duty pay. The closest I came to setting on a jury was they brought 20 of us into the court room and was about to question us about our backgrounds and the defendant pled guilty to some charges and we got dismissed.

That was almost 20 years ago. Nothing since.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always went when called to serve. I felt it was my duty as a citizen. One time I made it to being part of a jury. It took three days and was a great experience.

The case was a car accident. It involved a company driver who came out of a side street and tried to cross three lanes and merge with the three lanes on the other side of a median with bushes and small trees. He didn't see poor elderly Glenna B who was driving in the first lane on the other side of the median. She in her late 70s. He T boned her car causing injuries and totaling the vehicle. She was lucky to be alive.

The defense lawyer tried in vain to show Glenna at fault. The lawyer was pretty bad. No Perry Mason here. We had an accident reenactment expert testify. As a vocational Auto teacher the jury voted me in as the foreman. We decided that Glenna would get the max settlement. It was pretty bad for her as she lost her independence not able to drive again.

My auto students enjoyed hearing the details that the accident reenactment expert presented.

I am now so old that I won't be summoned again.

=======
One funny thing happened during the proceedings. We were cautioned about cell phones and the consequences. During the arguments a phone rang! Everyone looked around as to its whereabouts. The judge opened a drawer and quickly turned off his phone! He said: "well I guess I will have to hold myself in contempt".

Last edited by Azshooter; 03/20/24.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I made it all the way to selection once. Had a guy who was a dr for the penal system in the room also. I get his excuse, while the odds of him actually running into the man being charged and convicted would be low, I guess its always a possibility. But he had to sit through the same nonsense for a few days before let go. I think I got 25 bucks a day.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Azshooter
I always went when called to serve. I felt it was my duty as a citizen. Only got picked to serve on a jury once. Ended up being the jury foreman. It took three days and was a great experience.

I'd love to do it, but I guess depends on the case. My mother made it and became foreman of her jury. But her case was about a 15yo male raping his younger cousin. She said it was bad stuff to sit through and she'll never do it again. She's aged out now.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I could be a fair and impartial juror. The defense attorneys think I couldn’t.

Ron

Orwell
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Im an old man, fixing to retire soon. Have never been called to serve in jury duty. I was a city cop back in the 90’s and have sat in court for testimony and such, but never to serve on jury.

"Know guns, no crime. No guns, know crime."
- Ralph Lauretano
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I don't want to judge anyone.

Having a jury of our peers is a right.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got stuck on jury duty back in 1983, two marines and their scuzzy girlfriend hit an undercover drug officer in the head ,handcuffed him and rolled him into the river . It took 2 weeks of lawyer's dragging the obvious out till we could convict them and two more days of listening to the whiners in the jury room to get them life instead of a shot

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I liked it when I worked, never got picked, back home by 8:30 AM, got paid regular wage. I’m past 70 now so I’m exempt. Fug em

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,601
Posts18,473,587
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.