Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 45 of 64 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 63 64
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Atheists are unconvinced that there is a god/s, and generally are skeptical and critical thinkers, and open minded.
Originally Posted by antlers
If you knew that Christianity was true, would you become a follower of Jesus…?
No I wouldn't. The god described in the bible is a total cunt.
You’ve now clearly pointed out what has been known by many here all along. Your position has zero to do with truth and logic and reason, or science ~ despite your many assertions (recent and past) to the contrary. Your position is clearly a matter of the heart.
Your position also clearly has zero to do with critical thinking and/or being open-minded.
Someone who would admittedly flat-out deny something that they know to be true is hardly a beacon of rational thought or logical reasoning.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"Always have faith in God." - Unknown.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
yes i do, he brought me home too many times.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Someone who would admittedly flat-out deny something to be true that they know to be true is hardly a beacon of rational thought or logical reasoning.

Too right!!! I agree.

Also, someone who asserts something to be true not knowing it to be true is hardly a beacon of rational thought or logical reasoning. Your faith in your god is not rational or logical.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you choose to participate in the New Covenant that Jesus established (and He’s invited you to do so), and if you choose to have a personal relationship with your Creator (and He’s invited you to do so), and if you choose to follow Jesus’ teachings (and He’s invited you to do so), then your life will be better, and you will be better at life.
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Tell that to the parents who just lost a child to cancer or an accident and you are liable to get your azz beat.
Originally Posted by RHClark
Not unless those parents have been taught by idiots to believe that God is responsible for every good or bad thing that happens.
It’s understandable that someone’s faith can take a hit because of random, unnecessary, unexplainable pain and suffering. But why are people so prone to tether their trust or confidence in God to how well things are going…? The author of Hebrews 4:14-16 encourages people to tether their faith to…

Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are ~ yet he did not sin. Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hoosier_Beagler
Originally Posted by Hoosier_Beagler on 3/11/24
Sure, there's a stairway to heaven. It was first mentioned in Genesis 28:12 and definitively identified in John 1:51.

To clearly answer the question from the OP: Yes, I believe in the triune God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Throughout history there has only ever been one "stairway to heaven:" The Son of Man, Jesus Christ. This was true even before Christ's incarnation, birth, crucifixion, and resurrection and continues to be true today as well. [Job 19:25] Scripture records a "great cloud of witnesses" professing this same truth throughout history. [Heb 12:1]

Prior to Christ's incarnation, God acted to steward the nation of Israel so that it would bring forth Christ exactly as foretold "so that Scripture might be fulfilled." The Old Covenant, along with His rod, was largely established to keep the nation separate from the world and close to Himself. While God did not change, once Christ came into his glory, the Old Covenant was fulfilled and the New Covenant, which had always existed, became manifest. No one, before or after Christ, was saved by keeping the Law.

Since the fall, there has always been misery in the world, corruption in the church [Jer 23:1-2], and abuse of children [Ex 1:15ff]. There is nothing new under the sun. I believe there is also hope even among those killed by Herod/Pharaoh, those sacrificed to Molech, and those aborted in our day. This hope is centered on Christ and conveyed even to the unborn by the Holy Spirit. In this matter, I do not place limits on God.

In this thread, the faithful have made their confession (each in their own fallible way), are shaking the dust from their cloaks, and are departing the conversation. Be not concerned that what remains is dominated by mockery. [Acts 18:6; Ezk 33:1-6; 2 Kgs 19:14-16] Broad is the road... And yet, their end has not yet come. There is still time. Consider the conversion of St. Augustine.

The crux of the disagreement is clearly set forth in 1 Cor 15:14-19. Has Christ been raised from the dead? If not, we Christians are most to be pitied. It's no wonder that Easter, less than two weeks from now, is our highest festival.

This I believe, Lord help my unbelief. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to sound the trumpet.
There is a bit of a problem here. There are untold billions and billions of humans that were born and died on this earth that had absolutely no way of knowing about Jesus or the nation of Israel. Are they condemned to death or hell whichever it may be?

It makes me wonder if there might be such a thing as reincarnation. A just God would not condemn his child for ignorance over which the child had no control. Would he?

Otherwise there are those billions of souls that are condemned without ever having a chance. It's a problem.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
We are expecting a record turnout of kids at our annual Easter celebration. Our Worship Committee has been working on it for the past month. It will be a great event.
Just don't let any of the kids be alone with any of the adults.

We don’t need your advice on how to run our Easter celebration. It is a long running and successful tradition. Oh yeah, our bible study class was pretty crowded tonight. Now go run to your safe space.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
We are expecting a record turnout of kids at our annual Easter celebration. Our Worship Committee has been working on it for the past month. It will be a great event.

We don’t need your advice on how to run our Easter celebration. It is a long running and successful tradition. Oh yeah, our bible study class was pretty crowded tonight. Now go run to your safe space.
Willihunter, just giving you some good advice. Pedophiles infiltrate all of the organized activities that people take their children to, including church activities. You run your Easter celebration the way you think fit, but always beware of pedophiles. Glad that your Bible study classes are a success.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Hastings
Sure, there's a stairway to heaven. It was first mentioned in Genesis 28:12 and definitively identified in John 1:51.

To clearly answer the question from the OP: Yes, I believe in the triune God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Throughout history there has only ever been one "stairway to heaven:" The Son of Man, Jesus Christ. This was true even before Christ's incarnation, birth, crucifixion, and resurrection and continues to be true today as well. [Job 19:25] Scripture records a "great cloud of witnesses" professing this same truth throughout history. [Heb 12:1]

Prior to Christ's incarnation, God acted to steward the nation of Israel so that it would bring forth Christ exactly as foretold "so that Scripture might be fulfilled." The Old Covenant, along with His rod, was largely established to keep the nation separate from the world and close to Himself. While God did not change, once Christ came into his glory, the Old Covenant was fulfilled and the New Covenant, which had always existed, became manifest. No one, before or after Christ, was saved by keeping the Law.

Since the fall, there has always been misery in the world, corruption in the church [Jer 23:1-2], and abuse of children [Ex 1:15ff]. There is nothing new under the sun. I believe there is also hope even among those killed by Herod/Pharaoh, those sacrificed to Molech, and those aborted in our day. This hope is centered on Christ and conveyed even to the unborn by the Holy Spirit. In this matter, I do not place limits on God.

In this thread, the faithful have made their confession (each in their own fallible way), are shaking the dust from their cloaks, and are departing the conversation. Be not concerned that what remains is dominated by mockery. [Acts 18:6; Ezk 33:1-6; 2 Kgs 19:14-16] Broad is the road... And yet, their end has not yet come. There is still time. Consider the conversion of St. Augustine.

The crux of the disagreement is clearly set forth in 1 Cor 15:14-19. Has Christ been raised from the dead? If not, we Christians are most to be pitied. It's no wonder that Easter, less than two weeks from now, is our highest festival.

This I believe, Lord help my unbelief. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to sound the trumpet.
There is a bit of a problem here. There are untold billions and billions of humans that were born and died on this earth that had absolutely no way of knowing about Jesus or the nation of Israel. Are they condemned to death or hell whichever it may be?

It makes me wonder if there might be such a thing as reincarnation. A just God would not condemn his child for ignorance over which the child had no control. Would he?

Otherwise there are those billions of souls that are condemned without ever having a chance. It's a problem.
Hastings, I dealt with this issue early on in this thread. I explained that it should be suggested to God that this point be addressed as it is unreasonable that good people don't go to heaven/or get a chance to go to heaven in the situations you described.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W

Willihunter, just giving you some good advice. Pedophiles infiltrate all of the organized activities that people take their children to, including church activities. You run your Easter celebration the way you think fit, but always beware of pedophiles. Glad that your Bible study classes are a success.

I get what you’re saying, for sure. All activities are done in a group setting. Anyone working directly with youth go through a background check. We do take this very seriously, as we should. Thank you for the well wishes on our Bible study. We are all benefiting from it. I avoided it for years, and now I regret that I did. It is a tremendous class.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Hastings, I dealt with this issue early on in this thread. I explained that it should be suggested to God that this point be addressed as it is unreasonable that good people don't go to heaven/or get a chance to go to heaven in the situations you described.
I am not going to put myself in the position of telling our supernatural creator how to handle his business but I think there is way more to getting right with God than some scholars of the by grace system would have us believe.

There are too many unanswered questions in that system. For instance the babies and toddlers that were destroyed at Sodom, at Jericho, at Ai, and during the purge of the tribe of Dan, did they receive eternal death or damnation or do they get another bite at the apple.

Jesus inferred that there was such a thing as reincarnation and from the sources I read belief in reincarnation was very much a thing in the early Christian church.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

I am not going to put myself in the position of telling our supernatural creator how to handle his business but I think there is way more to getting right with God than some scholars of the by grace system would have us believe.

There are too many unanswered questions in that system. For instance the babies and toddlers that were destroyed at Sodom, at Jericho, at Ai, and during the purge of the tribe of Dan, did they receive eternal death or damnation or do they get another bite at the apple.

Jesus inferred that there was such a thing as reincarnation and from the sources I read belief in reincarnation was very much a thing in the early Christian church.
There's a difference between "telling" and "offering good suggestions".

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Christians,

Please compare and contrast this:

I believe that God is the Creator of the universe, and that Jesus is the Son of God, and that the Holy Spirit lives in each of Jesus’ followers from the moment of their salvation. And I believe that people are the supreme object of God’s creation, and that people will exist eternally with or without God, and that salvation is God’s free gift to ALL of us, but we must accept it.

With this:

The fanatical atheists...are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who—in their grudge against the traditional 'opium of the people'—cannot hear the music of the spheres.

Which one seems more "Christian".

Who would you rather have a beer with?
Antelope_Wounder, you've really made a fool of yourself with this post. Unbeknown to you, the person who made the second quote was not Riflehunter, but none other than Albert Einstein (the person that you wouldn't want to have a beer with!!).

Last edited by Riflehunter; 03/20/24.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Its amusing that CCCC complains about ad homs and insults, which is the very essence of his own response.
Not laughter material. You really should learn the difference between the unlearned personal smears some post - seemingly due to frustrated ignorance - and the logical, objective content-based critiques of posts and the ostensible reasoning. You know - the objective evidence-based critiques that cause your ilk to itch and chafe, right after you dash at the flame. If you learn that, it may help you be a better person - or, at least, a better poster.

Now, once again, maybe post the real reason(s) that your type come to get stuck on the glue paper strip?

There you go again, desperatley trying to turn the tables, playing a rightous man, the tragic victim even while being the aggressor, hurling insults even while complaining about what you reap.

You do precisely what you accuse your opponents of.
Hey Mr. Frustration - I'm not righteous - in the least. I added some more factual info about Riflehunter's stuff to that post - maybe go read it again.

It may help you understand the key differences between what you read and what you imagine - the realty of objectivity versus the fantasy on which you base your attacks. You undermine yourself and then try to sling insults as you drop into the pit of self-delusion. Try to get a hold on something solid.

Just face the facts; nobody knows how or why the BB happened, whether there was a before (a beginning to time), what set it off, whether it is cyclic, a part of a multiverse or something yet unimagined.

The fact is we don't know.

We don't know therefore there must be a creator is neither a sound argument or a justified belief.

It is you and your crew who are claiming to know.

You claim to know because you have read it in the bible, a set of books written in ancient times when people had no idea of the scope and scale of the universe when compared to what current science has discovered, so had no real understanding of how vast the universe is.

You don't know, but pretend that you do.

You do that for a number of reasons: to provide comfort and meaning, the promise of eternal life, reunion with loved ones, etc, understandable but unsupported by evidence.....which is where faith comes into play.

Nope..... If I am presented with something that is clearly artfully and skillfully crafted, I may not HOW it was crafted, but I will know THAT it was crafted.

You are just trying to re-package the "something from nothing" baloney.

You know no such thing.

You can't seem to able to tell the difference between faith and its assumption of truth and actual knowledge.

Plus you keep invoking the strawman 'something from nothing' no matter how many time it's pointed out that I made no such claim.

Instead of making your own special rules, read what is said before responding emotionally.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Christians,

I believe that God is the Creator of the universe, and that Jesus is the Son of God, and that the Holy Spirit lives in each of Jesus’ followers from the moment of their salvation. And I believe that people are the supreme object of God’s creation, and that people will exist eternally with or without God, and that salvation is God’s free gift to ALL of us, but we must accept it.

With this:

The fanatical atheists...are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who—in their grudge against the traditional 'opium of the people'—cannot hear the music of the spheres.

Obviously they are both believers, but the second one is far more intelligent and interesting and knowledgeable.

These comments tell a lot about you.
Antelope_Wounder, what can you tell? Did I say something untrue? I would rather have a Jack Daniels (not a beer) with the second person. Obviously he is more knowledgeable, interesting and intelligent than the first. That doesn't mean that I don't think Antlers is a fine, good person. It's just of the two, I would prefer the second. You asked a question and were given an honest answer. Actually, come to think about it, you've been a bit horrible with your posts involving me lately. I think you should retract some of the comments you've made and apologize.

You keep adding piece to the puzzle.

An interesting picture is revealing itself.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Christians,

With this:

Antelope_Wounder, you've really made a fool of yourself with this post. Unbeknown to you, the person who made the second quote was not Riflehunter, but none other than Albert Einstein (the person that you wouldn't want to have a beer with!!).

If Einstein said it or not is irrelevant.

It's the response you chose in this context, which speaks of you, and the choices you make.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 03/21/24.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Christians,

With this:

This idea that the all knowing all powerful just and kinds creator of everything would find himself in such a dilemma's preposterous.

This is more evidence against this definition of his existence.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Its amusing that CCCC complains about ad homs and insults, which is the very essence of his own response.
Not laughter material. You really should learn the difference between the unlearned personal smears some post - seemingly due to frustrated ignorance - and the logical, objective content-based critiques of posts and the ostensible reasoning. You know - the objective evidence-based critiques that cause your ilk to itch and chafe, right after you dash at the flame. If you learn that, it may help you be a better person - or, at least, a better poster.

Now, once again, maybe post the real reason(s) that your type come to get stuck on the glue paper strip?

There you go again, desperatley trying to turn the tables, playing a rightous man, the tragic victim even while being the aggressor, hurling insults even while complaining about what you reap.

You do precisely what you accuse your opponents of.
Hey Mr. Frustration - I'm not righteous - in the least. I added some more factual info about Riflehunter's stuff to that post - maybe go read it again.

It may help you understand the key differences between what you read and what you imagine - the realty of objectivity versus the fantasy on which you base your attacks. You undermine yourself and then try to sling insults as you drop into the pit of self-delusion. Try to get a hold on something solid.

Just face the facts; nobody knows how or why the BB happened, whether there was a before (a beginning to time), what set it off, whether it is cyclic, a part of a multiverse or something yet unimagined.

The fact is we don't know.

We don't know therefore there must be a creator is neither a sound argument or a justified belief.

It is you and your crew who are claiming to know.

You claim to know because you have read it in the bible, a set of books written in ancient times when people had no idea of the scope and scale of the universe when compared to what current science has discovered, so had no real understanding of how vast the universe is.

You don't know, but pretend that you do.

You do that for a number of reasons: to provide comfort and meaning, the promise of eternal life, reunion with loved ones, etc, understandable but unsupported by evidence.....which is where faith comes into play.

Nope..... If I am presented with something that is clearly artfully and skillfully crafted, I may not HOW it was crafted, but I will know THAT it was crafted.

You are just trying to re-package the "something from nothing" baloney.

You know no such thing.

You can't seem to able to tell the difference between faith and its assumption of truth and actual knowledge.

Plus you keep invoking the strawman 'something from nothing' no matter how many time it's pointed out that I made no such claim.

Instead of making your own special rules, read what is said before responding emotionally.

Back to third grade reading comprehension for you…..

Let me dumb it down for you…..try to follow closely….

Your doorbell rings and there is a package delivered….. you open it and find a small black sphere that some how plays Waltzing Matilda over and over again…. It won’t stop playing….you can’t turn it off….there are no switches, it just keeps on playing. You don’t know why or how does this….it just keeps on doing it.

You may conclude that this black sphere exists…..you do not know who sent it to you, but here it is, playing the tune over and over again…

You don’t know HOW it works, but you know THAT it works ….because it is sitting RIGHT THERE in front of you playing that song. You don’t even know WHY it works.

Further….if you really think hard, you realize that someone made it and then even sent it to you. Hmm…. Someone made something, knew you and sent it to you.

You might even say “Remarkable.”

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For the most part, I've enjoyed reading the thread and the questions that come up. Asking good questions can lead to good answers.
Anytime anyone has to resort to personal attacks to make a point, then I make a point to not pay much attention to that persons questions or answers. Some of the ugly crap is just a thread killer to me.

I will never pretend to have all the answers to my "why". Frankly, I'm just not smart enough to put in writing my thoughts on my faith.

I will say, there is much mis-undertanding on law vs faith, old testament vs new testament etc. But again, most folks read the Bible to "prove" a point and take the entire text out of context.

The bottom line seems to be, for my simple mind, is this............

You either believe that you are "good enough" so if there is a God he will accept you, because you know, "I'm at least better than (insert your person here) them, and if there is a God and he says he can love them, than certainly he will love me and I will get a pass".

Or, there is no God and most people are good, so you're good and we all just try to be good and then become fertilizer for the generations to come.

I believe there is more to us than the time frame we suck up oxygen here.

Your mileage may vary.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
[quote=DBT]

Nope..... If I am presented with something that is clearly artfully and skillfully crafted, I may not HOW it was crafted, but I will know THAT it was crafted. You are just trying to re-package the "something from nothing" baloney.

You know no such thing.
Plus you keep invoking the strawman 'something from nothing' no matter how many time it's pointed out that I made no such claim. Instead of making your own special rules, read what is said before responding emotionally.

Back to third grade reading comprehension for you….. Let me dumb it down for you…..try to follow closely….

Your doorbell rings and there is a package delivered….. you open it and find a small black sphere that some how plays Waltzing Matilda over and over again…. It won’t stop playing….you can’t turn it off….there are no switches, it just keeps on playing. You don’t know why or how does this….it just keeps on doing it.

You may conclude that this black sphere exists…..you do not know who sent it to you, but here it is, playing the tune over and over again…You don’t know HOW it works, but you know THAT it works ….because it is sitting RIGHT THERE in front of you playing that song. You don’t even know WHY it works.

Further….if you really think hard, you realize that someone made it and then even sent it to you. Hmm…. Someone made something, knew you and sent it to you. You might even say “Remarkable.”
Or, he might say " My personal and limited human knowledge and logic systems are insufficient for understanding this completely, I hate this thing and all that it represents and expects of me, and therefore I declare that it does not exist".

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 45 of 64 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 63 64

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

361 members (17CalFan, 06hunter59, 160user, 1badf350, 163bc, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 1,022 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,216
Posts18,524,414
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.