Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I am beginning to think this thread is very silly.

This forum is about elk hunting, usually a rifle.

Often during rifle season I see elk too far away to shoot at.

Why wouldn’t one wonder how to make too far away ……not?

The art and skill of stealth is slowly disappearing in the face of technology….and the internet.

The ultimate in elk hunting is 4-5” of fresh powder, temps in the teens, and a hot elk track in the deep timber……

And it will never be understood by those who wish to start blasting soon as they can see 'em.

If you don't sleep well after tracking for a day its probably cause you croaked of a heart attack when the raven took off from right above your head in that bedding area...

Last edited by llamalover2; 03/21/24.
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Most of the stuff on elk rifles is silly.

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

Especially when you and memtb chime in

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

Especially when you and memtb chime in

It's going to be so exciting when you kill your first elk.

Be sure and make a thread.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 03/21/24.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Handi has never shot anything but the bull and lots of it. He a no account troll.

Molon Labe
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Lol two clueless old fùcks lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Handi has never shot anything but the bull and lots of it. He a no account troll.

But think how exciting it will be when she actually kills her first elk.

That thread will be epic.

It's never not funny when a girl forgets she has a history here on the Campfire. HandyJobsForHobos has never killed an elk.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by super T
I've also noticed that the farther away from elk country a hunter lives the bigger the cartridge he thinks he needs.

What you haven't realized is how much fun it is for us to discuss buying a new rifle for a special hunt. Something that we can't justify around here. Yes most of us know we can take our deer rifle Elk hunting but it's fun to have a reason to buy a .300 Winchester.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

But think how exciting it will be when she actually kills her first elk.

That thread will be epic.

It's never not funny when a girl forgets she has a history here on the Campfire. HandyJobsForHobos has never killed an elk.

I know this going to shock everyone but Johnny "got-no-family" Burns is wrong again......weird.

Next he'll say he isn't 300lbs and doesn't drink like a fish lol lol

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by moosemike
I've also noticed that the farther away from elk country a hunter lives the bigger the cartridge he thinks he needs.

What you haven't realized is how much fun it is for us to discuss buying a new rifle for a special hunt. Something that we can't justify around here. Yes most of us know we can take our deer rifle Elk hunting but it's fun to have a reason to buy a .300 Winchester.

Well that's kind of a stupid thing to do. Go buy a gun you're not familiar with, in a cartridge you don't need, with enough recoil that you won't practice with it.

Of course most here probably just hangout in camp an drink.

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I live in elk country and have for years. Over the years, our elk have expanded their range from just the national forest area to the ranches and open prairie. We have gone from woods type hunting to plains type hunting. Now, the 06 is still fairly popular but the .300 and 7mm Mag. have a big following. Simply because they are easy to hit with and kill well at longer ranges. If you can shoot. Not that smaller calibers won't but the bigger calibers seem to have an advantage.
Several years ago, we were hunting in a very open area. One of the guys packed a very nice custion .25-06. That morning we found a large herd of elk traveling to cover.I was just along to help out as I had taken an elk already. My pal shot a nice 5 pt. bull right in the lungs. I saw the bullet hit. But the animal continued going across a trail, a jeep from Cheyenne came along and a guy jumped out with a ,375 and shot the bull before he could fall. Next fall my pal had a bigger rifle.
In years past the .300 Savage was very popular when the elk were in the timber. Until the 60s deer and antelope were the main game, then the area was open for 25 limited permits. The hunters merely took the rifles they had and shot elk at close ranges. I haven't seem a .300 Savage in the woods for years.
The local hunters are not the hicks eastern people seem to portray them. There are many rifle looneys in this country as any. Something that should be kept in mind.

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Talking about elk rifles and bullets is nothing more than a way for a person who has little experience with Elk hunting to remain excited about going... Years ago when I first went elk hunting, I was so excited that I did a lot of thinking - prepping to hunt... all of the thinking and prepping for the hunt was exciting... I honestly believe this is all the talk about guns and bullet is about for most people.

I remember I had a Sako 338 WM that I took and my 30-06 as a back up... either would have been great guns but that 338 WM shot incredible groups with the max load of RL-19 and Nosler Accubonds 225 gr... I just had to take it... I still regret selling that gun but sometimes we just make mistakes

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
I live in elk country and have for years. Over the years, our elk have expanded their range from just the national forest area to the ranches and open prairie. We have gone from woods type hunting to plains type hunting. Now, the 06 is still fairly popular but the .300 and 7mm Mag. have a big following. Simply because they are easy to hit with and kill well at longer ranges. If you can shoot. Not that smaller calibers won't but the bigger calibers seem to have an advantage.
Several years ago, we were hunting in a very open area. One of the guys packed a very nice custion .25-06. That morning we found a large herd of elk traveling to cover.I was just along to help out as I had taken an elk already. My pal shot a nice 5 pt. bull right in the lungs. I saw the bullet hit. But the animal continued going across a trail, a jeep from Cheyenne came along and a guy jumped out with a ,375 and shot the bull before he could fall. Next fall my pal had a bigger rifle.
In years past the .300 Savage was very popular when the elk were in the timber. Until the 60s deer and antelope were the main game, then the area was open for 25 limited permits. The hunters merely took the rifles they had and shot elk at close ranges. I haven't seem a .300 Savage in the woods for years.
The local hunters are not the hicks eastern people seem to portray them. There are many rifle looneys in this country as any. Something that should be kept in mind.

Fuddlore galore.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Well that's kind of a stupid thing to do. Go buy a gun you're not familiar with, in a cartridge you don't need, with enough recoil that you won't practice with it.

I'm sure you'd know about that

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

We don't think the locals are hicks. It's Westerners who are always saying we in the East overgun ourselves

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J

I'm sure you'd know about that

Uh oh....somebody's feelers got hurt....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jackie_Handjobs thinking about Elk rifles and bullets having never killed an Elk
[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JohndrunkardBurns
[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

Johnny red-face is all fired up now lol

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JessG
There are also very few people with as low of an IQ as you, as fat as you, or as obnoxious as you… and you’re a liberal voting D’bag to boot. Congratulations!?!??
Have you figured how to use a turret on a scope yet, F’n dumbass?
How much hunting have you been able to do lately without your golf-cart, fat [bleep]?
I honestly miss your trophy pics from your “hunts”… the f’n near heart attack, beet red face, gasping for air pictures really gave me a chuckle.
You are a typical stupid liberal F’n D’bag!!! GFY

Oh my Jessie’s girl, straight stalker shiit you got going on. Only thing worse on these boards than a sock puppet is a chickenshiit that talks [bleep] without posting pics of themselves. Rest assured the only “beet” red face around is your moms after I pile her up.😘

Since you asked so eloquently, here’s a pic of me last week. Just to keep you horned up and your lip quivering

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]how to post a picture in a forum online site

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jetjockey
Originally Posted by Judman
There’s very very very few folks that get to hunt elk every year, otc. Some of us get to every year, even fewer get the luxery of hunting elk otc in a jungle like western wa, nw Oregon or Idaho panhandle every year.

It’s not like drawing an Arizona/New Mexico/colorado/Utah tag. Come try it lady’s.👊🏻

Pffff. Whatever. My family had the keys to much of the timber company land outside Pe Ell after they shut it down. Over 50+ years they killed elk every year in clear cuts, and rarely had to hike. They drug the elk out using a reduction unit on a chain saw and 600ft of rope. When I tell those old timers who are in their late 70’s and 80’s now how we hunt OTC in the Wilderness of CO their response is “Fugg that.”

They’re way ahead of the curve, though 10% oh hunters kill most the bulls. Know lotsa folks from pe ell, I’m sure I know em. Tried a chainsaw whinch about 30 years ago up toutle, didn’t get a full spool reeled in before I boned it out and threw it on a packboard. Tried Tommy moore blocks with haywire, same pain in the ass. Unless you can get a quad/sxs close I’ve found it easier and less fuucking around to quarter/bone em out personally. Looks like Wyoming is the place to hunt elk.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 2,321 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,509
Posts18,472,370
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.