Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Some keep track of number of shots fired out of each rifle.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
When I was younger I started to keep track then gave up. Up until last year, I had the antlers from every deer and elk I’d shot. I cut most of them up and sold them to an antler buyer. I enjoy hunting and eating them more than storing the antlers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got a good friend who journals all of his hunting and fishing, and has since 1972. He has recorded every shot fired at game, whether hit or miss. Every fish caught whether crappie, trout, or carp. He does admit that on occasion, fishing will outpace his ability to record. He does his level best to describe that.

I've always thought it was a cool idea. After my divorce, while selling the house I found the beginnings of a number of journals.
Still think it's a cool idea. Don't see it happening, for me...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Yep. Started my log when I killed my first deer. It shows date, buck or doe, weight, distance shot , rifle:load, shot placement and reaction of animal. It only includes big game and where the hunt occurred. I can look back and read the entries and remember the hunts, otherwise no way could I keep up with them.

GreggH

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have never kept track of the numbers or the size or the score. Some were big and some not so big, but they all were just as important at the time and the hunts just as satisfying. I have green scored a few elk, caribou, moose and antelope myself just to satisfy my own curiosity. I never wrote any of it down and the numbers have since escaped me, because it just wasn't that important to me.

I've also measured the weight and inside spread of some of the nicer deer I've killed, but never wrote any of that down either.

Generally, the numbers and size of any of the animals are unimportant to me, and I could care less about seeing my name in a book.

The most important hunt is the next one...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B2

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No, but probably should have. Would be interesting to see how much meat has been put in the freezer.

I could give a crap about score.

Arcus Venator
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 99guy
I have never kept track of the numbers or the size or the score. Some were big and some not so big…

But, they all fried up, right?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I never wrote anything down, but I can remember every deer I ever killed. Don't remember many dates, but remember the guns & ammo used.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
I never wrote anything down, but I can remember every deer I ever killed. Don't remember many dates, but remember the guns & ammo used.

My buddy who journals has a description, from when we were in high school, of me doubling on drake woodies in tight timber. He read that to me a few years back and I experienced a whole flood of memories. I could smell the truck of the guy we worked for who owned the place we hunted.

I recall a lot of things. Lotta water under that bridge...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BuzzH
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Nope, but I did keep track of B&C scores on the better stuff. Many claim they don't care what the animal scored, but I do. However, I can't tell you how many animals I've killed...

That should be a short list.

Not as short as yours.

If you were bought for what you are worth and sold for what you thought you were worth, your buddy Biden could clear up the national debt…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by cra1948
Never wrote such stuff down. Last few years take cell phone pix of the deer I kill with the gun used.

I do that. A camera was too much trouble to keep with me

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
No journal of fish or game taken.
I have a few photos of various things, but
no written records.
At a guess I probably have around 2 dozen
deer photos, and maybe that many fishes
I've always been more interested in getting
whatever processed ASAP to preserve it
from any spoilage.
I have kept good records of what I've loaded
for each particular firearm, all the data and
how everything worked at the range, accuracy
etc.
The man that taught me to reload kept
meticulous records of all his doings, but
he shot a couple of different types of
competition as well as his hunting.
Keeping a written record has helped me weed
out the junk and keep the treasure.

Sometime this last year there was a man
rhat had felt necessary to give me a ration
of sheet over the fact that I don't have any
deer taxidermy done. He went on about
respecting the animals, blah blah blah
and this and that about some of the better
racks I've saved in a pile etc. etc.

They're meat to me along with some good
memories. As long as I have the memories
that's all that counts to me

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Always thought I should keep a log of fish, game and mushrooms and any trips
involved. But sorry to say, I never got started. Wish I had. All were "trophy" regardless
of size or quantity.

Mule Deer has always impressed me with the data he has collected over the years.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nope - never had the interest. Hang the antlers in the shack, talk about the year/hunt but no journal or anything.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SCGunNut

Same here.

I suppose there may be some purpose to keeping count of the rounds fired through one’s rifles, but I never have. Pretty sure I’ll never wear one out. Back when I only had one or two, I didn’t have the time to shoot enough to do that, and now I have a bunch, so none of them gets used heavily. Anyway, record keeping is too much like a job to suit me. I had a job once, and don’t want another…….

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sometime this last year there was a man
rhat had felt necessary to give me a ration
of sheet over the fact that I don't have any
deer taxidermy done. He went on about
respecting the animals, blah blah blah
and this and that about some of the better
racks I've saved in a pile etc. etc.

Was he a taxidermist?😜

I just “love” guys that think they should be the ethics police for everyone else. Sorry fellers, but not only do I not mount my scrags, but given a chance I’ll ambush a turkey and shoot it with a rifle if that’s what I have, hunt with a crossbow, and even eat a bass now and then, so save your sermon.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I keep track of the rounds fired through most of my rifles, especially the favorites. My 300 is 1100 rds. down the bore this is its 3rd barrel , my .222 9000, my 223 7000, my old .22-250 2800 but this is its 3rd barrel. My Swift has 1300, and my .22-250 AI 3000. it is simple to keep a tally of rds fired. Right now the AI;s accuracy if falling off. I have a new barrel blank, looking for a smith to instale it.
As far as totals, I have kept a journal since I was 14 or 15. Ted Trueblood wrote a little essay about the fun of keeping a journal of outdoor activities. It is great. Memories come flooding back when I read about my trips from 60 years ago and a bit more. Things come back to life. As far as shooting game and fishing, those are entered into the journal. The only thing I can say, if you remember every deer you ever shot, you either have a photograhic memory or haven't shot many deer.
It has been a good life, and as I get older, those journals are wonderful.

Last edited by WyoCoyoteHunter; 03/28/24.

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 99guy
I have never kept track of the numbers or the size or the score. Some were big and some not so big, but they all were just as important at the time and the hunts just as satisfying. I have green scored a few elk, caribou, moose and antelope myself just to satisfy my own curiosity. I never wrote any of it down and the numbers have since escaped me, because it just wasn't that important to me.

I've also measured the weight and inside spread of some of the nicer deer I've killed, but never wrote any of that down either.

Generally, the numbers and size of any of the animals are unimportant to me, and I could care less about seeing my name in a book.

The most important hunt is the next one...

This description from 99guy is exactly what I'd write. The experience is valuable to me. My only notes are related to load development. There are a couple notes about bullet performance in there possibly.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have kept record of all the rounds I have loaded and the gun they were loaded for.
Also any trips to the range I recorded the accuracy. If I use the chrony I recorded that.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Nope

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 63 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,345
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.