Hop To
Page 55 of 64 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 63 64
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by antlers
When you intentionally misquote what was said (like you clearly did) in order to support your position, then your position is a weak position.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
"I don't know therefore GOD"
"It's beyond my comprehension therefore GOD."
"It's so wonderous therefore GOD."
"Science is too hard for me to understand therefore GOD."

How every you want to paraphrase it they are all bad arguments.
"I don't know therefore NO GOD"
"It's beyond my comprehension therefore NO GOD."
"It's so wondrous therefore NO GOD."
"Science is too hard for me to understand therefore NO GOD."

How ever you want to paraphrase it, the above are all WORSE arguments.
thats yer opinion

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by _antelope_sniper
I see no good evidence for the existence of a god(s).
Others do. Actually, BILLIONS of others do. In Creation itself.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Sure, and once upon a time people believed the sun and moon revolved around the Earth and that heavy and light objects fell at different rates. the Argumentum ad populum in not convincing, just like the fallacies I demonstrated above.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
"On a hill far away, stood an old, rugged Cross."

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by wabigoon
"On a hill far away, stood an old, rugged Cross."
It's a nice sentiment, but it's not evidence.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sure, and once upon a time people believed the sun and moon revolved around the Earth and that heavy and light objects fell at different rates.
But we are not living in those times. We know MUCH more now than people did then. There is now good evidence that space, time, and matter had a beginning. And to assert that it all came from nothing…cosmological nothing being defined as the absence of space, time, and matter, and the laws of physics…without a creative cause, is an extraordinary claim.
The Argumentum ad populum is not convincing,…
Bein’ on the bandwagon…in and of itself…is often not convincing. But could you denying the evidence that BILLIONS of other people see likely point out a clear bias that you have simply because you don’t want there to be a God…?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Sure, and once upon a time people believed the sun and moon revolved around the Earth and that heavy and light objects fell at different rates.
But we are not living in those times. We know MUCH more now than people did then. There is now good evidence that space, time, and matter had a beginning. And to assert that it all came from nothing…cosmological nothing being defined as the absence of space, time, and matter, and the laws of physics…without a creative cause, is an extraordinary claim.
The Argumentum ad populum is not convincing,…
Bein’ on the bandwagon…in and of itself…is often not convincing. But could denying the evidence that BILLIONS of other people see likely point out a clear bias that you have simply because you don’t want there to be a God…?

My wants are irrelevant. When I first began this exercise, it was to provide irrefutable proof for the existence of the Christian God. That's not what I found.

You should convert to Shintoism. The Japanese people are smarter than Americans, and they are Shinto, not Christian. Are you going to deny the evidence of their beliefs simply because you want to believe in your God?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
When you intentionally misquote what was said (like you clearly did) in order to support your position, then your position is a weak position.

All science pivots on the big bang, Which is far harder to believe than a divine creator. You do not need religion to understand God.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My wants are irrelevant.
No, your wants are clearly not irrelevant. You wouldn’t be the first atheist/agnostic to not want there to be a God.

“It isn’t just that I don’t believe in God and, naturally, ‘hope’ that I’m right in my belief. I don’t ‘want’ there to be a God; I don’t ‘want’ the universe to be like that.” - Thomas Nagel, professor at New York University who teaches philosophy and law, and he’s an atheist. And as an atheist he makes an extraordinary confession...he clearly didn’t just come to the conclusion based on the data...he said: “I ‘want’ atheism to be true and am made uneasy by the fact that some of the most intelligent and well-informed people I know are religious believers.”

When I first began this exercise, it was to provide irrefutable proof for the existence of the Christian God. That's not what I found.
Blaise Pascal said, “People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.” And then they go looking for reasons to substantiate their belief. Could it be that this applies to your findings regarding the existence of the Christian God...?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Diggerman
All science pivots on the big bang, which is far harder to believe than a divine creator.
How ‘bout a Divine Creator who used the Big Bang to achieve His creative objectives…?
You do not need religion to understand God.
I don’t disagree with that position, but it’s likely more accurate to say you don’t need religion to have a relationship with God.

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

All science pivots on the big bang, Which is far harder to believe than a divine creator. You do not need religion to understand God.

Science doesn't ask you to believe anything. Observation and acquired information leads to explanations, a theory or hypothesis for what has been observed, cosmic background radiation, galaxies moving apart (unless gravitationally locked), etc.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Still trying to figure out which one 'to believe in'. So far I like Neptune the best.

Last edited by Tesoro; 03/28/24.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

That really depends on one's capacity to comprehend the evidence for the Big Bang. Just because it's simpler to believe in magical being does not make it the correct answer.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by DBT

Science doesn't ask you to believe anything. Observation and acquired information leads to explanations, a theory or hypothesis for what has been observed, cosmic background radiation, galaxies moving apart (unless gravitationally locked), etc.
science asks you to believe the big bang theory, a baseless, impossible to prove and a way out there idea. Im not po-po'ing all science, just where they start. Also evolution is only made possible with huge lapses and there is zero proof that man and frogs were once relatives.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Just got home from a special Thursday service.

Sunrise service on Sunday.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

They say they do. Just invoking the word 'evidence' doesn't make it so.

The existence of the universe is evidence that a universe exists, not how it came about, whether it's cyclic, a part of a multiverse or something not yet imagined.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Christians keep telling me the most important thing about their religion is belief. Faith based belief in their one true God. Not how you live your life. Not how you treat others. Those things can all be forgiven. Belief is the thing God most needs from you.

There is an important and reason for this. It’s pretty obvious once you think about it. What makes a God is belief. Without belief God dies. God seems very real to those that believe, but without that belief there is no God. A figment of our imagination that disappears the moment the belief goes away.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

science asks you to believe the big bang theory, a baseless, impossible to prove and a way out there idea. Im not po-po'ing all science, just where they start. Also evolution is only made possible with huge lapses and there is zero proof that man and frogs were once relatives.

You are not asked to believe anything, background microwave radiation is there, as is doppler red shift, etc. You disregard the evidence in favour of a preferred belief.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RHOD
Christians keep telling me the most important thing about their religion is belief. Faith based belief in their one true God. Not how you live your life. Not how you treat others. Those things can all be forgiven. Belief is the thing God most needs from you.
When you see the word ‘believe’ in the New Testament, it
comes from a Greek word that means a whole lot more than just believing something in your mind. It means ‘to put your trust and confidence in.’ In Jesus. For salvation, to be reconciled to your Creator.

Then, since your sin is now paid for, go and live a life that reflects the love and forgiveness of God as you mirror that in your love and forgiveness of the people around you.

Page 55 of 64 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 63 64

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (160user, 1badf350, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,536 guests, and 1,396 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,690
Posts18,475,125
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.