Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Exchipy Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I discovered this past Thursday just who had actually done the anodizing and nitride treatment on my new Ruger 6.5 SFAR:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

It was these guys in Jacksonville:

The operation was certainly something worth seeing. While I was there (conveniently) on other business, I had two slides and a few other steel parts Black Nitride treated:

I learned that, with its three facilities (North [OH], West [AZ], and South [FL]), H&M Metal Processing has become the go-to supplier of surface finishes for just about the entire U.S. firearms industry. The biggest names in the business use H&M. But, for about two hundred bucks, an average Joe can get a “bunch” of steel parts Black Nitride treated. And, they’re not particularly fussy as to what constitutes a “bunch,” long as it’s not unreasonable. Best to ask.

Now only in their early 40s, the two brothers responsible for developing the process and making the operation what it is, have been at it since their early teens. Theirs is an absolutely amazing success story, their enthusiasm inspiring. I’ve known them now for a few years, and have had them apply their outstanding surface treatment to some of my personal firearms (pictured elsewhere on the ‘fire). But, only last Thursday did I actually come to know the extent of their reach in the industry. I am so very pleased to be able to call them friends.

Every day’s an adventure.
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I met Bear at last year's NRA Convention. He's very knowledgeable and I plan to send him some parts soon. Thanks for the pictures.

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dinny
I met Bear at last year's NRA Convention. He's very knowledgeable and I plan to send him some parts soon. Thanks for the pictures.
I believe Bryant “Bear” Hager is still at the original H&M facility in Akron, where I had previously been sending my gun parts to be treated before I visited their Jacksonville facility, this past week. Don’t think it makes much difference which H&M facility does the job, ‘cause they all use the same secret juice formulation and process.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Crazy thought, but would black nitride work on reloading dies? Wasn’t sure about thickness and durability.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by gte901m
Crazy thought, but would black nitride work on reloading dies? Wasn’t sure about thickness and durability.
I know people that do it for hardening and claim it works well. Last year I did a test with a CM pacnor 20 cal barrel I had done it shoots really well but you gotta clean the crap outta rifle barrels after its done and I suggest shoot 12-15 rounds before nitride a barrel to make sure the throat area hasn't any small burs from chambering or maybe isso treatment before.
I did a CM barrel because I have saw some bore dimensions change on SS barrels but never on a CM barrel.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

It is basically a type of case hardening and is not a surface buildup treatment. I can vouch for the treatment on dies.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Any idea what they charge to do a barreled action?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
It is basically a type of case hardening and is not a surface buildup treatment. I can vouch for the treatment on dies.

I’d had the impression that the Black Nitride treatment hardened steel to a depth of 25 microns. But, I got tuned up during my visit to H&M’s Jacksonville facility. I was told specifically that Black Nitride actually hardens to a depth of between 5 and 10 microns, while bone charcoal case hardening (like Turnbull’s) hardens far deeper, at times all the way through, hard as woodpecker lips.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Any idea what they charge to do a barreled action?
I expect it’d be about $200. You can maybe soften the blow some by including a few parts from other guns along with your barreled action. But, contact them to be certain. They’re a pretty easy going bunch.

Please don’t get the impression I’m their agent, though, ‘cause I’m not. I’m simply a dedicated consumer and ardent admirer of what they do.

I also learned Thursday that the Green Mountain blackened stainless steel barrel I put on my Ruger Precision Rimfire had been Black Nitride treated by H&M:
6” steel at 200 yards.

Seems H&M has their fingers in far more firearms industry pies than I could ever have imagined.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks, that is good enough.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Thanks, that is good enough.
You are most welcome.

I certainly recommend Black Nitride to all those here who desire a very hard, corrosion resistant and beautifully uniform black surface treatment for their working guns. While it’s not nearly as gorgeous as traditional quality bluing, doesn’t cure cancer, or rid the world of evil, it’s still mighty good stuff.

It also appears to improve bore surfaces. This Pre-WW II Savage Model 219 in .30-30, with some minor rust pitting just ahead of the chamber, shot pretty reasonably for me before receiving Black Nitride treatment, but nothing like it does now:

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Revolvers make excellent candidates for Black Nitride treatment:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]Particularly if they had been showing some evidence of “mileage,” as this guy had.

Then, there’s the possibility that accuracy may show improvement:
Still trying to figure out why there were two groups. But, the separate groups are close enough to each other to still be impressive when taken together as one group at 50 yards over sandbags.

The tiny clusters were not really a fluke, either:

I don’t shoot that PPC barreled Model 15 as often as it deserves. I bet it hasn’t had much more than 200 rounds through it since it was Black Nitride treated. So, I expect it’ll only do better the more its bore is seasoned though additional shooting of the mild HBWC loads without cleaning.

With proper loads, cleaning is only necessary when accuracy begins to deteriorate, if that ever happens. The great PPC shooter, Bill Davis, once loaned me his personal K-38 for a match. It virtually oozed greasy black shooting residue from the many thousands of rounds fired through it without cleaning. He made me promise, on pain of death, not to clean it any more than a simple surface wipe down. He didn’t want its match winning bore seasoning ruined.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
They have batch pricing. 350.00 for a batch.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
What constitutes a batch?

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pabucktail
What constitutes a batch?

Donno.

I’ve been told a time or two that around $200 would cover “a few things,” though.

You’ll probably hafta ask ‘em when it comes time to know that. The stuff I’ve had done over the years has always been in small quantities, and not very often, with arrangements made rather informally, ‘cause I know the guys personally.

However, if I were told that the minimum cost is $350 per “batch,” and that the maximum permitted (by weight, numbers or volume) in a batch allowed for more parts than I originally intended to have treated, I’d be making an extra effort to find enough parts to completely fill out a batch, including parts from interested friends.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a place that has done quite a bit for me
I think he charges me $60 but it's been a few years.
4130, 4140 4340 and nitride is the ultimate gun i refuse to buy an action made with 416. Never have, never will.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
200.00 is what HM used to charge, me anyway Last year it was 350.00 a batch, your gonna have to ask them what there definition of a batch is I had them do a barrel, 2 actions, 3 bolts and a few small parts last year.

Last edited by sherm_61; 04/14/24.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1234, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,086
Posts18,482,842
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.