Campfire Tracker
So ya know...

GR

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Old discussion for the teeny boppers here!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
My dad killed his last elk at 800 yards with a borrowed Parker Hale 30-06 with a fixed 4x scope.
So it can be done.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
My dad killed his last elk at 800 yards with a borrowed Parker Hale 30-06 with a fixed 4x scope.
So it can be done.

I knew an old guy, once, that said he used his Weatherby 30-378 on an elk. Shot the elk in the offhand position, elk was trotting, and it was 1,100 yards away. He didn't even have to lead it, according to the old guy. Held on his back too.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Garandimal
So ya know...

GR

I am not impressed with the .270, especially for elk. I was less impressed that he had to crawl and sprint 450 yards before he felt comfortable taking the shot, so I will not be buying a 270, ever and I will happily keep shooting my .300 Win Mag when I go elk hunting.

What blew me away was how excellent his cow chirping and the bugling imitations he made with his mouth without a reed are, that is crazy good.

This gentleman has most likely- been hunting all of his life and has done a whole lot of practicing that call, truly remarkable. I highly doubt that his .270 would be his first choice if he was going on an elk hunt.

I watched this video this morning and found it pretty interesting, you may as well. My only surprise is that the .338 did not rank really high, a friend of mine owns a cattle ranch, he shoots elk on his property every year and it is his favorite caliber for elk. Cheers ~

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/09/24.

KB

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Like most things in life it’s important to actually try something, or have experience with something, before giving recommendations. The 270 Winchester will kill elk handily. Big Elk. At long range. I killed the bull on the right at 560 yards with a 270 shooting 130gr TSX’s. He took two steps and collapsed. Is there something that would have worked better? Not in this case.

Coincidentally the one on the left was killed with a 280 AI and 140 TTSX’s. 10 grains more bullet at the same speed. Hmmmm.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, there is a reason why the .300 Wing Mag is the #1 choice for Elk Hunting Guides. I will stick with my .300 Win Mag and let the women shoot the .270, for the light recoil. lol

KB

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Trolling and making disparaging remarks does not change the fact that the 270 works on elk just fine.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Well, there is a reason why the .300 Wing Mag is the #1 choice for Elk Hunting Guides. I will stick with my .300 Win Mag and let the women shoot the .270, for the light recoil. lol

We would all love to see your bulls.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would like to see one of yours, with you in it.

I never said it can not be done, I am saying that there way better choices.

KB

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Trolling and making disparaging remarks does not change the fact that the 270 works on elk just fine.

So true - this site is filling up with inexperienced, know-it-all trolls.

A bit over 10 years ago I was working on a ranch. It was November and elk were all over. My partner and I had permission to take a cow each, so our rifles were in the truck. This wasn't a hunt, it was a meat shoot, so we were waiting for the right opportunity to present itself to take a couple of cows close to the road. We finally got our chance, got out of the truck, each picked out a cow at 230 lasered yards on a steep hillside, and each shot simultaneously. Both cows were fairly big, and we each hit essentially the exact same spot (behind the shoulder, double lung shot). His took a couple steps, stumbled and fell. Mine did the exact same thing. It was steep enough that both cows rolled downhill quite close to the truck. My partner was shooting a 300 WM with a 180 Accubond handloaded at 3,100 fps. I was shooting a 270 with a 150 Ballistic Tip at 2,850. We recovered his Accubond under the skin on the offside, whereas the 150 ballistic tip exited. Both elk died exactly the same way, with no discernible difference.

That's real world elk killing. Hit them right with anything reasonable and they die. Use a rifle you can't shoot and it's a rodeo. Some guides "like" big rifles because often it's easier to see the clients hits. Smart guides prefer a client show up with a rifle they can actually shoot well, not one they "think" is ideal based on some internet blowhard that tells them they should be packing a 300 WM.

At the end of the day, it's the Indian not the arrow.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've never met Mr. Spomer. I've never been at any event where he was speaking (at least not to my knowledge). I don't have the 1st clue about what he does or doesn't know.

Mr. Spomer's presentation style, especially in your YouTube vids sort of likens him to the subject of the embedded vid to follow in my mind's eye:

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Pathfinder, you are the troll.

Still waiting to see the picture of yourself with one of your elk, a picture with you in it of course.

You have been following me around for years, I figure you are either a flaming homosexual or have an intense case of Melissophobia. I am sure a dumbfk like you will have to look up the word, to understand its meaning.

I do not know one person who hunts elk and uses a .270 for their caliber of choice. I would be willing to bet that guides that guide for elk, do not bring a .270 with them to back up their clients.

Do me a favor and pizz off, find someone else to troll!

KB

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P

Still waiting to see the picture of yourself with one of your elk, a picture with you in it of course.

You have been following me around for years, I figure you are either a flaming homosexual or have an intense case of Melissophobia. I am sure a dumbfk like you will have to look up the word, to understand its meaning.

I do not know one person who hunts elk and uses a .270 for their caliber of choice. I would be willing to bet that guides that guide for elk, do not bring a .270 with them to back up their clients.

Calling you out for being deceptive is not trolling. In fact, being deceptive for effect is trolling. Not the other way around.

I have not been following you around for years. I have no idea who you are. But I do know what you are trying to represent. An agenda that suits your limited narrative and experience. Couple that with your inexcusable language and threatening PM’s and I’m not sure I want anything to do with you.

Why would posting photos of me with these Elk change anything? Here is another though. Shot with a 280 Remington. Not man enough of a cartridge for you I’m sure. Unbelievable.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Up here in Alaska 270 pretty popular. I know Alaska isn’t Alberta our moose are smaller, brn bears are size of black bears 😁. Nonetheless 270 is pretty popular for sheep and moose hunting. One year we were hunting in unit 13 all 3 of us had 270’s. Unit 13 has a pretty good population of brn bears so our chances of seeing are always good. My daughter has accounted for 4-5 moose using her “gay” 270 with 150 partitions.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Lol, I've known Pathfinder for over 20 years. He's forgotten more about elk hunting than you obviously know. Aside, I've seen the 270 used on more elk kills than any other single cartridge. Mostly with C&C 130's, and I've never seen it fail, including in the hands of a friend who guided for elk on several famous Montana ranches.

You just have a confirmation bias, never having been in on the taking of elk with the 270. If you actually took five or ten elk with it you'd not be so dogmatic...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
270's work fine for the distances that most people hunt at.
Use a good bullet, place it well, and get your knife ready.
The cartridges I use for elk, are not going to have the same performance, since I use shorter barrels.
Depending on the cartridge and the length of the rifle it would be compared to in the same chambering, my speeds could be from 150-200+ fps slower.
I could give you MV's if you want them.

Cartridges I have used for elk (14-18" barrel lengths)...The only 14 incher was my 25 Creedmoor (225ish yards with the Accubond in 2023).
25 Creed (110 grain) 1 big cow
260 Remington (120 grain) 1 cow and one bull
6.5-284 (140 grain)
6.5 PRC (143 grain) 1 cow
284 Winchester (140 grain)
7mm Dakota (175-200 grain)
7.82 Patriot (150 and 180 grain bullet) 2 cows
I and friends who have used my XP's, have taken the most elk with my 6.5-284 (6), 284 Winchester (6-7), and the 7mm Dakota (5)

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad

Lol, I've known Pathfinder for over 20 years. He's forgotten more about elk hunting than you obviously know. Aside, I've seen the 270 used on more elk kills than any other single cartridge. Mostly with C&C 130's, and I've never seen it fail, including in the hands of a friend who guided for elk on several famous Montana ranches.

You just have a confirmation bias, never having been in on the taking of elk with the 270. If you actually took five or ten elk with it you'd not be so dogmatic...

I have taken 3 elk, only because I have done most of Elk Hunting with a Bow, which is way harder than hunting them with a rifle. On my bow hunts on thee occasions, if I had my rifle with me, I would have killed 6 by now. The truth is I hunt moose way more often than I hunt elk. Where I live your success rates on Moose are way higher, if you know what you are doing.

If I lived in let's say in Montana, Wyoming, or Colorado, I would have been focusing on Elk for sure.

So are you saying that a .270 is the preferred caliber for Elk Hunters?

KB

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
What we are saying is you have ZERO qualifications for recommending or not recommending an elk cartridge. So don’t do it or call out people who do.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What we are saying is you have ZERO qualifications for recommending or not recommending an elk cartridge. So don’t do it or call out people who do.

Listen Dumfk Troll, I have not called out anyone, except you for being a troll. I was commentating on the video.

Read my initial post again, this is what I wrote:

"I am not impressed with the .270, especially for elk. I was less impressed that he had to crawl and sprint 450 yards before he felt comfortable taking the shot, so I will not be buying a 270, ever and I will happily keep shooting my .300 Win Mag when I go elk hunting."

Again troll, post a picture of you in the field with an elk, with you in it?

KB

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I read that. But you haven’t shot an elk with any rifle. How can you have an opinion? On any cartridge?

And no, I’m not posting them after the physical threats that came from you via PM. No thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I read that. But you haven’t shot an elk with any rifle. How can you have an opinion? On any cartridge?

And no, I’m not posting them after the physical threats that came from you via PM. No thanks.

Yes I have Dumbkf 2, the other I killed was with a bow.

Now can we see a picture of you with an elk that you have killed in the field? Since you have killed so many with your .270, that should not be a problem!

Not only are you a troll, you are a Liar and a coward, I never physically threatened you EVER!

We know that you never have and never will post a picture of yourself, you have the same MO on every forum you troll.

KB

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So ya know...

GR

I am not impressed with the .270, especially for elk. I was less impressed that he had to crawl and sprint 450 yards before he felt comfortable taking the shot...

But that IS long range HUNTING.

And the .270 Winchester, with the proper bullet, will take most things out to ~ 400 yards.

But closer is always better, to a Hunter.

GR

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

I know one Alberta Moose/Elk/Deer guide along the Peace River who's rifle of choice is a 270Win BLR with factory loaded 150gn soft-points for all 3. We hunted moose with him in 2013 and man did we have fun.

Over the course of the week we talked about a lot of things and came up with 2 "Universals".

1. A Shiny new magnum rifle with a shiny new scope most assuredly needed a thorough wringing out at the range before going afield.

2. The longer the blade on the "New Moose/Elk Knife" the dumber the carrier of same was likely to be.

There was a total of 10 shots taken between 2 of us that week. 1 3-shot group each @ the range the evening before we started hunting. My friend shot his moose 2x w/his 338Win and 210TTSX's. I shot my 300Win w/200tsx and killed a running coyote off-hand @ 75ish yds and I shot my moose 1x off-hand @ 200ish yds. I would've probably shot a couple more times as he was standing there dying but, when I shot, another smaller bull stepped in front of the one I'd already shot and stood there covering his vitals until he reared up and tipped over backwards, ~10 seconds.

Last edited by horse1; 04/09/24.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i feel all those cartridges would work just great for any of us. i killed my biggest bull elk " B.C. 376 " shot with a bow a 45 yds ,my son`s biggest bull elk is bigger than mine , our bull`s were shot with a bow and arrow one arrow for each bull. my next big game hunt will be with a 300 Win. mag. mainly because i have owned this rifle for over 10 years ,the recoil is/was horrible so now it has a muzzle brake ,this older rifle does shoot excellent , this rifle a Remington 700 Tactical is not my favorite but it will kill game for me . enjoy your rifles,Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 04/09/24.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by horse1

I know one Alberta Moose/Elk/Deer guide along the Peace River who's rifle of choice is a 270Win BLR with factory loaded 150gn soft-points for all 3. We hunted moose with him in 2013 and man did we have fun.

Over the course of the week we talked about a lot of things and came up with 2 "Universals".

1. A Shiny new magnum rifle with a shiny new scope most assuredly needed a thorough wringing out at the range before going afield.

2. The longer the blade on the "New Moose/Elk Knife" the dumber the carrier of same was likely to be.

There was a total of 10 shots taken between 2 of us that week. 1 3-shot group each @ the range the evening before we started hunting. My friend shot his moose 2x w/his 338Win and 210TTSX's. I shot my 300Win w/200tsx and killed a running coyote off-hand @ 75ish yds and I shot my moose 1x off-hand @ 200ish yds. I would've probably shot a couple more times as he was standing there dying but, when I shot, another smaller bull stepped in front of the one I'd already shot and stood there covering his vitals until he reared up and tipped over backwards, ~10 seconds.

I never said that a .270 would not kill an Elk, I have killed both Elk and Moose with my bow, so of course a .270 will kill elk, and I am sure that hundreds maybe even 1,000+ have been killed with a .270.

With that said, I believe that a .300 Win Mag is a better option and I have no plans on changing to a .270. Watch the video I posted.

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I must be doing it all wrong.

Kimber Montana 270 or 308 depending on mood. I'd bet both go elk hunting this year.

But I do have a Kimber 7 RM in the safe!

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P

Now can we see a picture of you with an elk that you have killed in the field? Since you have killed so many with your .270, that should not be a problem!

Not only are you a troll, you are a Liar and a coward, I never physically threatened you EVER!

We know that you never have and never will post a picture of yourself, you have the same MO on every forum you troll.

Maybe I misunderstood?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
YES, I see how you conveniently blotted out the majority of my message, you must be a liberal taking lessons from Biden's DOJ. lol

What I meant by "I will pin your skanky hide to the wall" is that I would file a Forman Complaint against you with the owner of 24 hour Campfire. I filed my complaint against you 2 hours ago.

You see troll, although I have tolerated the trolling from you and your little Alberta Posse, by defending myself, I will not tolerate SLANDER.

We both know that you have been trolling for years on hunting forums and that you have posted pictures of yourself, always blotting out your face in every picture with a heavy black marker, because you are a disgusting and abject coward, as well as a lowlife troll and you do not want all of the people you have been trolling to see you, you prefer to hide in the dark.

It is one thing to have heated interactions and call people names, it's another thing to fabricate lies and to post slanderous comments about threats of violence made against you. I invite you to post the entire PM. As you know I deleted your response without reading it.

Not only are you a cowardly, lowlife troll, but you are also a pathetic example of a hunter, who only damages the people that are hunters and enjoy participating on hunting forums.

Just so you know I did not ask for you to be banned, only a pathetic slob like you would do that. I simply asked that your slanderous comment be removed, hopefully you will get a warning to stay away from me as well because I do not want to have anything to do with you.

You are most likely thrilled and overjoyed it has come to this and that by lying about me, I may get banned. Maybe that will happen and you and your Girlfriends can have a good laugh over a beer, I guess we will see. Its up to the management here.

No matter what happens I will always consider a lowlife cowardly troll and I only feel sorry for your children, that you are the example they are learning from.

Now as many here say GFY.

KB

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Why you are so angry is beyond me. But my children are just fine. lol.

I’ll happily unblot your comments above by the way.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good one Troll, first I have seen without your face inked out. And guess what, I will never look for you or try to get near you, you pathetic lowlife, scumbag.

KB

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Here you go. The whole conversation. lol. Dude. Stop digging. Seriously.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I removed because I was not interested in reading your response.

Where's the physical threat?

KB

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Really?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Really?

Ya lying lowlife, where's the physical threat?

KB

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

I never said that a .270 would not kill an Elk, I have killed both Elk and Moose with my bow, so of course a .270 will kill elk, and I am sure that hundreds maybe even 1,000+ have been killed with a .270.

With that said, I believe that a .300 Win Mag is a better option and I have no plans on changing to a .270. Watch the video I posted.

I did watch the Vid. You said you didn't know one person who elk hunts with a 270 as their 1st choice. I was just saying that I do know someone who does, and he guides moose, elk, deer (and bear) hunters in Alberta in the Peace River country. That's all.

Q
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Q
So ya know...

GR

I am not impressed with the .270, especially for elk. I was less impressed that he had to crawl and sprint 450 yards before he felt comfortable taking the shot, so I will not be buying a 270, ever and I will happily keep shooting my .300 Win Mag when I go elk hunting.

What blew me away was how excellent his cow chirping and the bugling imitations he made with his mouth without a reed are, that is crazy good.

This gentleman has most likely- been hunting all of his life and has done a whole lot of practicing that call, truly remarkable. I highly doubt that his .270 would be his first choice if he was going on an elk hunt.

I watched this video this morning and found it pretty interesting, you may as well. My only surprise is that the .338 did not rank really high, a friend of mine owns a cattle ranch, he shoots elk on his property every year and it is his favorite caliber for elk. Cheers ~

While a .270 might not be your first choice, or mine, it is the #9 cartridge on Backfire's Top 10 list. So, clearly, with all the cartridges out there, plenty of people still use it. And there are some other cartridges in his Top 10 that are not ballistically that different from the .270 Winchester. Obviously, your beloved 300 Winchester Magnum is #1 on that list (and with good reason: it is a superb cartridge, particularly for elk). If I had to pick a cartridge to take on what for me would be a once-in-a-lifetime hunt (not many elk out in my neck of the woods, but they have recently been opened up for hunting in my state), I would bring my father's Browning 7mm Remington Magnum. Why that rifle? Because it's already in my family and I know it is incredibly accurate. Edit - but that’s really neither here nor there. The goal with any hunt is to have a cartridge, bullet, and rifle combination that will cover the majority of the situations you are likely to encounter. And based on the Backfire video you linked, out West that means having the potential to take an ethical shot quite far out there.

I also have to respect the guy for stalking up to where he felt it was more ethical than taking the risk that a change in the wind would result in a bad shot, particularly using a cup-and-core bullet. I understand his concern that he had to carefully place the shot with that bullet to hit behind the shoulder. And I was impressed with his discipline and ethical concern for potentially hitting a cow.

Last edited by Q_Sertorius; 04/09/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Q_Sertorius
So ya know...

GR

While a .270 might not be your first choice, or mine, it is the #9 cartridge on Backfire's Top 10 list. So, clearly, with all the cartridges out there, plenty of people still use it. And there are some other cartridges in his Top 10 that are not ballistically that different from the .270 Winchester. Obviously, your beloved 300 Winchester Magnum is #1 on that list (and with good reason: it is a superb cartridge, particularly for elk). If I had to pick a cartridge to take on what for me would be a once-in-a-lifetime hunt (not many elk out in my neck of the woods, but they have recently been opened up for hunting in my state), I would bring my father's Browning 7mm Remington Magnum. Why that rifle? Because it's already in my family and I know it is incredibly accurate.

I also have to respect the guy for stalking up to where he felt it was more ethical than taking the risk that a change in the wind would result in a bad shot, particularly using a cup-and-core bullet. I appreciate that his concern that had to carefully place the shot with that bullet to hit behind the shoulder. And I was impressed with his discipline and ethical concern for potentially hitting a cow.

I was impressed with his ethics as well.

KB

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Pathfinder76,
Beautiful family and beautiful animals. Well done, sir.

KillerBee,
What does one have to do to get kicked off of Canadian outdoors forum?

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Use the language he uses here.

And thanks!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Longarm, I will answer that question for you. Fantastical and habitual lying, multiple user accounts, and threatening other forum members. That about sums it up. The same thing he does on this forum.

Last edited by sns2; 04/09/24.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by sns2
Longarm, I will answer that question for you. Fantastical and habitual lying, multiple user accounts, and threatening other forum members. That about sums it up. The same thing he does on this forum.

Ohhhhh....... No bueno!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Now, where were we.

Oh, that's right:

Great Long Range Hunting.

GR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Here comes the Posse, am I surprised, no! lol

Of the Alberta Outdoorsman Posse, who troll me here, you are the biggest moron of them all.

Still killing calf moose? I will never forget your story of you killing that calf, then almost cutting your thumb off butchering it, a real champ you are. Why don't you post the pictures here so we can all get a big laugh.

Your moderating that site was the worst thing that ever happened to it, you and your posse destroyed AO, and you turned in a fun site to a ghost town, good job!

GFY

KB

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If being one of the moderators who booted you off under a dozen or so usernames makes me the wrecker of a forum, I wear that badge gladly.

You are right, I do shoot calf moose. It’s a draw here as you know. Surprising a self proclaimed meat hunter has a problem with taking a calf moose.

Anyhow, carry on with your stories.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Having guided elk hunters for over 20 years, it wouldn't be my first choice.
Not sure where Jim on Backfire gets his " experts" as that's pretty subjective when it comes to hunting.

I wound prefer a 300 Savage over MOST 270 loads myself.
I think a 30-06 is a step in the right direction.

There's not much i haven't seen the shot with

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If being one of the moderators who booted you off under a dozen or so usernames makes me the wrecker of a forum, I wear that badge gladly.

You are right, I do shoot calf moose. It’s a draw here as you know. Surprising a self proclaimed meat hunter has a problem with taking a calf moose.

Anyhow, carry on with your stories.

You and your AO posse are really sick people, you are a lying sac of you know what, I know you gals really enjoy this. Pathetic.

Ya sure I know, there is a season for calves, but unlike you, I do not like killing babies, I prefer to hunt real moose.

Again show us some of your trophy calf moose, freak?

A dozen names, ya sure dumbfk!

KB

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Here comes the Posse, am I surprised, no! lol

Of the Alberta Outdoorsman Posse, who troll me here, you are the biggest moron of them all.

Still killing calf moose? I will never forget your story of you killing that calf, then almost cutting your thumb off butchering it, a real champ you are. Why don't you post the pictures here so we can all get a big laugh.

Your moderating that site was the worst thing that ever happened to it, you and your posse destroyed AO, and you turned in a fun site to a ghost town, good job!

GFY

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Did I miss something? I thought this stuff was supposed to be fun.???

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Really?

Ya lying lowlife, where's the physical threat?

Speaking of lying… you claim that you have no problem keeping all your archery shots inside 4” at 80yds, even though you don’t practice. Then the story changes to 50% hitting a quarter at 80yds… Yeah, ok. You can shoot your hunting bow better than the best archers in the world? You are a D’bag!

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
And your 1/4” weatherby with factory ammo?!?! Lol

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lol, I've known Pathfinder for over 20 years. He's forgotten more about elk hunting than you obviously know.
x2
Hit them right with anything reasonable and they die. Use a rifle you can't shoot and it's a rodeo.
Couldnt agree more. At this point we've killed most of our elk with 708s and 6.5CMs. With a single rodeo/lost bull, due poor shot placement with a 338WM.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Like most things in life it’s important to actually try something, or have experience with something, before giving recommendations. The 270 Winchester will kill elk handily. Big Elk. At long range. I killed the bull on the right at 560 yards with a 270 shooting 130gr TSX’s. He took two steps and collapsed. Is there something that would have worked better? Not in this case.

Coincidentally the one on the left was killed with a 280 AI and 140 TTSX’s. 10 grains more bullet at the same speed. Hmmmm.

What a bull!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Not trying to stir the pot but don’t you dote on an 06 with 180 grain Power Points? In what world would a 270 with a decent bullet be any less effective? In my head condemning the 270 with decent bullets is putting all of the 06 based rounds about in the same league.

270’s have worked fine in our elk camp.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That Enfield shoots those 180 PPs harder than our guns.

All the elk I've taken have been with a 270 and I don't know how they could have died any better.

I think the 270 is an outstanding elk cartridge at typical ranges and it's been proven time and time again by lots of folks.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have been rather impressed with the .270 and specifically with the 150 hot-cor on elk, and red deer for that matter. A handful of 130s certainly haven’t been lacking…

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by beretzs

Not trying to stir the pot but don’t you dote on an 06 with 180 grain Power Points? In what world would a 270 with a decent bullet be any less effective? In my head condemning the 270 with decent bullets is putting all of the 06 based rounds about in the same league.

270’s have worked fine in our elk camp.

Again, I never condemmed the .270, my comment was that the .300 Win Mag is the preferred choice of Elk Hunters. I know that the .270 is a very popular rifle for deer, and I know that it is a preferred caliber for Women because of a lighter recoil.

Backfire did an online poll of Elk hunters called "10 Best Cartridges for Elk: Voted by the experts!" I posted it earlier. Here is a snapshot of his poll, where by his account a total of 3700 elk taken by 250 participants with many Elk Guides included.

As you can see the the .300 Win Mag came in as #1 by far, so it isn't just me who shares my opinion, the .30-06 came in as #6 .270 came in at #9

So why are all of these expert Elk hunters, which I am not one of, choosing the .300 Win Mag over other calibers? He never went into that.

As for your question: In what world would a .270 with a decent bullet be any less effective?

ABSOLUTELY NONE! Why do I say that? Well because I have been bow hunting since 1984 and It's all about SHOT PLACEMENT, if you put a .270 in the boiler room of any big game animal, at their effective ranges, well you have a dead animal.

Simple Really!

Poll

Why I have never considered buying a .270? For several simple reasons.

The first reason is that like many here I am a big .30 Cal fan. I am not a rifle collector, so I have only purchased 2 rifles in my hunting career and these are them.

Browning Mountain Ti in .300 WSM

Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight in .300 Win Mag

I Shoot Premium Factory Nosler Trophy Grade ALBR's in 190 Gr. when I hunt with it.

The rifle I have been shooting moose and deer with for decades is a M1917 and every moose and deer I have shot with it either dropped dead in their tracks, or were dead on their feet and only made it a few yards.

The vast majority (+90%) of the shoots I take on game where I hunt, are within 300 yards, with the vast majority of these shots being under 200 yards.

My Sporterized M1917, is a very unique and beautiful rifle, in fact there is only 1 like it on this planet and it's pretty cool as far as rifles go.

This is it.

I purchased the .300 WSM and .300 Win Mag, because where I hunt and see Elk, they are typically out there, further than I like to shoot my M1917 .30-06, in it's current configuration.

So, why should I buy a .270?

Well I don't because I have all the bases covered for my needs, with the preferred calibers of the vast majority of Expert Elk Hunters.

I trust I have answered your question.

Cheers ~

PS: Almost forgot, in terms of alwaysindoors concept of what I look like. Here is a picture of me with one of my x's.

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/10/24.

KB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I have been rather impressed with the .270 and specifically with the 150 hot-cor on elk, and red deer for that matter. A handful of 130s certainly haven’t been lacking…

I killed five elk with five different cartridges, up to .375-8 Rem Mag with Nosler Partition 300 grain at 2,800 feet per second. The fastest kill was with 7mm Barnes 130 TTSX at 3,200 fps. All shots were behind the shoulder.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
PS: Almost forgot, in terms of alwaysindoors concept of what I look like. Here is a picture of me with one of my x's.

Well that escalated quickly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
😂

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Jim Carrey ?

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
where were we.

Oh, that's right:

Long Range Hunting.

GR

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
The answer has been given. Do with it want you want.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Some people have a single tool. Some people have a tool-box full of tools. The more tools you have, the more likely you are to choose the proper tool for the job.

When I worked at a busy gun shop in college, I came to realize that there's actually not a lot of "lucky hunters", there are just an enormous number of "unlucky big game animals".

The number of people who came in to the gun shop to have their rifle "bore sighted for season" was/is unfathomable to me when I started. As such, it's easy to see and understand why some consider "long-range" to be unethical, they don't have the tools in the tool-box. Nor do they have the background or desire to acquire the knowledge. It's easier and less expensive to pass-judgement and chastise those who are more capable.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Excellent!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some people have a single tool. Some people have a tool-box full of tools. The more tools you have, the more likely you are to choose the proper tool for the job.

When I worked at a busy gun shop in college, I came to realize that there's actually not a lot of "lucky hunters", there are just an enormous number of "unlucky big game animals".

The number of people who came in to the gun shop to have their rifle "bore sighted for season" was/is unfathomable to me when I started. As such, it's easy to see and understand why some consider "long-range" to be unethical, they don't have the tools in the tool-box. Nor do they have the background or desire to acquire the knowledge. It's easier and less expensive to pass-judgement and chastise those who are more capable.

Spot On, great post!

KB

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I think he means that some have zero business lecturing others on what the choose to use to kill animals long range with.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think he means that some have zero business lecturing others on what the choose to use to kill animals long range with.

Pizz off [bleep] troll. I can probably outshoot your skanky arse off with a bow, rifle, and shotgun.

Nice Gut Shot deer, by the way pffffffffff

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/11/24.

KB

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I believe you.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

"The more I practice... the luckier I get." - Arnold Palmer

Hunting - is a skill.

Shooting being just one component.

And knowing the right tool for the job.

Don't use a wedge to putt.

Don't use a maul to drive a nail.

GR

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Pizz off [bleep] troll. I can probably outshoot your skanky arse off with a bow, rifle, and shotgun.

Nice Gut Shot deer, by the way pffffffffff
You’re being a little rowdy. Sheesh

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Hey kb, the class wants to know if you are a better hunter than burns?

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

Just to pack a bit more sand in your sand packed VeeJay.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good picture of the SGM!

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

Well mike r, in terms of long-range shooting, no, don't have anywhere near the experience Mr. Burns does.

In terms of Moose, Black Bear, and Deer hunting with a bow or rifle, with the numbers of them I have killed, I would say I am right up there with anyone I know in Canada.

And I am far away from being anywhere near the best person in those species in Canada, I do alright for myself, just an average hunter is all.

I am proud to say that I am an excellent shot with a Rifle a Bow and a Shotgun. I worked hard at it.

Cheers ~

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/12/24.

KB

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I am proud to say that I am an excellent shot with a Rifle a Bow and a Shotgun. I worked hard at it.

Cheers ~

For me it is hit or miss!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by geedubya

Cheers ~

For me it is hit or miss!

ya!

GWB
Yes, it’s the same for all sportsman. “Things” tend to get in the way of clean and concise kills. As sportsman, we have to make quick decisions when taking game. Internet blowhards like Killer Bee always gloss over these realistic facts. Then they are easily spotted as fakes. Welcome to the abyss you helped create, Killer Bee.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Grats ‘76. Something really special about hog bodied whitetail from Alberta, a whole different breed all together. Those are a couple dandies, don’t give a fuuck where they were hit. I’ll shoot en where they bleed, but I’m not a flatbilled Sitka wearing kifaru faag either

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Swamplord

Jim Carrey ?

25 yo pic with a “ex”??? wtf, must rent a apartment on a man made “pond “?

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by Swamplord

Jim Carrey ?

25 yo pic with a “ex”??? wtf, must rent a apartment on a man made “pond “?

No Quite 25 year old pict, I can post a more recent one.

Ya one of the trolls from Alberta said I live in an apartment, that is how full of chit they are. I took a picture for a thread the other day to seek advice on Hummingbird feeding. The picture is the back of my house that I own, which happens to be a high-end custom executive home.

This is the picture of the walkout to our lake. I hung the feeder off of my upper deck, where I eat most diners during the summer so I can enjoy all of the waterfowl while I eat.

Notice the windows? They are 7' High x 4' Wide, which only represents a portion of the back of my home. If I were to sell it today I would be asking $1,200,000.00 I am far from improvised.

Don't believe everything the Alberta Outdoorsman trolls write as fact.

When I wrote my response yesterday I forgot to mention that the longest shot I have taken on game, was a nice bull Moose which I called in. Killed him with a freehand shot @ 500 yards with my M1917. I could not get closer and that is the day I decided to buy a long-range rifle and scope. Picture of that moose below as well.

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/13/24.

KB

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Do you have anything more recent than 1995?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey, here you go troll.

This picture was taken of me 2 years ago while fishing for Sturgeon on the North Saskatchewan River, releasing a baby sturgeon.

I am 62 years old in those picture, and as far as I am concerned I am better looking than you in my 60's than you are now in your late 30's I assume 🤣😂🤣

I have pelicans in my backyard during the summer, while I am sure you have Pink Flamingos in yours, plastic of course lol

GFY

Same year a little bigger, more of what I was after

KB

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I wish I was in my 30’s.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hopefully you are successful!

My son killed one with a similar anomaly this week.

Personally I would be doing cartwheels if I shot one like that Non-Typical Stud, congrats to your son smile

Looks like an Alberta Deer to me.

Dummy, you have a bad memory, remember this (the first post on top) where I congratulated you and your son on the Weird Rack thread look above ??

So again, you are lying about me, you are the angry troll.

Above is what I posted after you originally posted that picture of your son, remember Dummy? You are the angry, troll spreading lies about me.

And I have to say ya, I am way better looking than you even though I am way older than you 🤣😂🤣

So keep fabricating stories and lies, I am happy to prove you wrong each and every time, dummy.

I do not know what your issues are, but if I were you I would run, not walk to the closest psychiatrist and seek help. Seriously!

KB

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Oh my.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I think what we are seeing there is what happens if you accidentally mix up medications.

Someone maybe got “Friday” mixed up “Thursday” and then took “Thursday” and “Saturday” at the same time with a soft boiled egg and half slice of toast and some prune juice to get back on track….

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
If that’s the secret to looking that good, well done.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by KodiakHntr
I think what we are seeing there is what happens if you accidentally mix up medications.

Someone maybe got “Friday” mixed up “Thursday” and then took “Thursday” and “Saturday” at the same time with a soft boiled egg and half slice of toast and some prune juice to get back on track….
We have a handful of those in this place.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
These dumb elk!!! I get to see em every month of the year, from my pillow!!! Just ask jetjockey, drive around in a pickup and shoot em!! Really nothin to it. Anyhow, most folks dream about em, they’re just elk…

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Personally I would be doing cartwheels if I shot one like that Non-Typical Stud, congrats to your son smile

Dummy, you have a bad memory, remember this (the first post on top) where I congratulated you and your son on the Weird Rack thread look above ??

Above is what I posted after you originally posted that picture of your son, remember Dummy? You are the angry, troll spreading lies about me.

And I have to say ya, I am way better looking than you even though I am way older than you 🤣😂🤣

So keep fabricating stories and lies, I am happy to prove you wrong each and every time, dummy.

I do not know what your issues are, but if I were you I would run, not walk to the closest psychiatrist and seek help. Seriously!

I’m not gey, but 76 is sexy as fuuck!!! Especially in recent pics, not 90’s pics. Plus he gets stupid dumb whitetail 👊🏻👊🏻

Ain’t easy havin pals.
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Too funny. The whitetail buck, especially an 8 year old plus buck is a fairly formidable foe. The buck above was being hunted hard by three other guys for the last few years. I didn’t know that until it was all over. Then their confessions and photos came out.

My daughters, shot within yards of my sons two days later hadn’t been seen by any of these guys in person or on camera. They are certainly not stupid.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Too funny. The whitetail buck, especially an 8 year old plus buck is a fairly formidable foe. The buck above was being hunted hard by three other guys for the last few years. I didn’t know that until it was all over. Then their confessions and photos came out.

My daughters, shot within yards of my sons two days later hadn’t been seen by any of these guys in person or on camera. They are certainly not stupid.

Originally Posted by Judman

I’m not gey, but 76 is sexy as fuuck!!! Especially in recent pics, not 90’s pics. Plus he gets stupid dumb whitetail 👊🏻👊🏻

Judman, I am not convinced about you not being gay lol

Do you ladies hunt with bows or just your Bang Sticks?

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/15/24.

KB

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I’m sure it will disappoint you to know that yes, I’ve hunted successfully with a bow.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m sure it will disappoint you to know that yes, I’ve hunted successfully with a bow.

Gophers? lol

KB

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
For sure. I have shot lots of gophers with a bow. Bare bow actually.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That’s unpossible

The preferred choice of highly experienced seasoned gopher hunters is the .300 Winchester Magnum

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

That’s unpossible

The preferred choice of highly experienced seasoned gopher hunters is the .300 Winchester Magnum

That's weird I thought the .270 was the go-to for them nasty beasts!

Hey pathfinder76, ever spot and stalk Black Bears with a bow, and are you a betting man?

KB

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
No, but have shot north of 25 spot and stock black bears and been there for double that. Even had a couple of Grizzlies take exception to me inside 20 yards. Thankfully those turned out fine for both of us.

They were scared off by my imposing presence. Or maybe my wafting stench. Not sure which.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I only hunt Black Bears with a Bow, way to easy with a rifle, for my liking. I have killed 2 with my shotgun, no choice in the matter.

I wonder if you have shot a bigger black bear with a rifle than I have killed Spot And Stalk with my bow. Feel free to post a picture of your biggest, I will be happy to reciprocate?

Kidding aside, I do believe that you are an excellent Hunter, and more importantly a very good father. The photos of you and your children are great. Children who have fathers who hunt and teach them are lucky.

I only started big game hunting seriously in my 30's I moved out west to do just that, it's been a hell of a lot of fun.

I taught myself, without guidance, my father was a dedicated bird hunter.

KB

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
This old man was over 20 years old. One of a few big ones. I Hunted him for several years. Keep in mind, these are extreme south Southern Alberta bears.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice color phase.

This Giant I killed in Manitoba in 1995 if memory serves. I was hunting Elk, stalked him, and killed him with my Hoyte Super Slam Supreme.

I am 6' tall and 220lbs. Look at my legs compared to his, give you an idea of how big he was, 22 1/4" Skull.

KB

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Killed my first elk with a 270 in 1971, and killed a few dozen with a 270 since. The next cartridge I’ve killed the most elk with is a 243.

If I kill one more elk with my 308 it’ll be tied with my 243’s though…..

I guided for over 30 years, it’s probably a tie between 30-06’s and 7mmRM’s for the most popular chambering among guides in my part of the Rockies.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Haha I’m still laughing over the bear pics, they’re grease pigs, I still remember seeing paws to prove one got killed, and the dogs ate good. Now they’re a “trophy” 😂😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice color phase.

This Giant I killed in Manitoba in 1995 if memory serves. I was hunting Elk, stalked him, and killed him with my Hoyte Super Slam Supreme.

I am 6' tall and 220lbs. Look at my legs compared to his, give you an idea of how big he was, 22 1/4" Skull.

Btw your a lying fuuckin piece of [bleep]👊🏻

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey Judman it's you and sns2 that are lying fuuckin pieces of [bleep] as well as World-Classless Trolls so .................. GFY's 👊🏻

I noticed that I am not being trolled by the POSSE on the Canadian thread I started yesterday. You guys are pathetic.

Here is another very nice bear of mine, this one I killed in 1992 @ 13 yards, while Bow Hunting over bait in Manitoba. I bow-hunted him for a solid month. As I said I have only hunted bears with bows. Notice that I am wearing the same outfit in both pictures, dumbfk?

Here's another one, notice the same outfit dumbfk? You gotta admit I am a handsome stud, notice the blood on my hands dumbfkm, was having a beer after I just finished skinning this one out.

Let's see a few pictures of you and sns2, not one of your pictures naked together, hunting pictures with you trolls in them. LMAO

Here are both of their sculls on one of my fireplaces in my beautiful custom, executive home, douchebag looser dumbfks Judman and sns2 lmao

I only kept skulls if the bear's skull hit the 20" mark.

Here is a picture of me Pheasant hunting with my father, when I was 9 years old. I have been hunting most likely longer than you pathetic trolls have been alive.

I'm a betting I am a superior Fisherman as well dumbfks.

I found this picture of you and that moose calf and fawn killer sns2 hunting together. LOL

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/17/24.

KB

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Here is a picture of me Pheasant hunting with my father, when I was 9 years old. I have been hunting most likely longer than you pathetic trolls have been alive.

If I’d had a pic like that with dad and grandpa in fancy duds and no dog it would’ve meant those birds got ground-balled out the window on the way to/from church on Sunday morning.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

If I’d had a pic like that with dad and grandpa in fancy duds and no dog it would’ve meant those birds got ground-balled out the window on the way to/from church on Sunday morning.

First of all that is not my grandfather, that is an older gentleman who was my father's friend. Secondly, my father never went to church, he was a devout Atheist and did not believe in God, he never took me to church.

Also, my father had his own line of English Setters which he developed, he was so successful with his dog breeding program that he sold one of his Stud Setters to someone in the USA as a Stud Dog after it won many prestigious field trials in the USA. He sold that English Setter called "The Saint" for $28,000.00 in 1982.

That picture was taken at a private club called "Sliver Heights" in Quebec, way before everyone got Camo Crazy, when Realtree, el al hit the market. Bird hunting in real clothes was standard back in them days. No need to look like a tree, when hunting pheasant over world-class bird dogs.

Here is a picture of one of our Setters, her name was "Pebbles" and she was the mother of "The Saint". In that picture, she is on point over a Woodcock. As mentioned, my father was a dedicated Bird Hunter, he was also a highly regarded Field Trial Judge.

Troll away dumbfks!

KB

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
1. I wasn’t trolling, I was serious. I can recall at least 2 situations in which my dad killed deer in a full-on suit/tie because the right deer showed itself and he had a rifle along. One of those occasions was on the way home from his aunt’s funeral with my mom in the vehicle, the other was while he was working and took a backroad during deer season “just in case”. Several times we went bird hunting Christmas morning before church/lunch.

2. I hate camo

3. I do wear mostly synthetics so as to manage moisture but mostly just solids in muted earth-tones.

4. Lighten-Up Francis, not everybody is out to get you.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Had a young fellow who used to come to our place to hunt elk. His rifle was a Rem Model 7 in 7mm-08. His dad loaded ammo for him which was a mid-level load of 4350 behind a 150 Nosler. With this combo, he killed three bulls with three shots. His friends kept telling him he needed a 300 Win Mag for elk, so he bought a Model 70. He shot a bull that year, with his 300. He reported that it killed that bull just like his 7mm-08 killed the others. His dad used a 270, a Remington 700, and he used one shot for each of his elk too. He also had a 338 which sat in the safe. GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does not really matter which caliber or weapon you use greydog, as long as you hit the vitals, all animals go down. Bow, rifle, or shotgun within their effective ranges it's always the same story. Lights out!

Nothing magical about it, that has been my experience anyway, and I have killed Big Game animals with all three.

Cheers ~

KB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey sns2 I am tired of your BS TROLLING me here so I called you out on the Knives and Blades Forum, the OELKE X 2 thread. You may want to read it and respond.

Be a man and post some of the pictures you posted of the calf moose you shoot, as well as your sliced and diced hand while butchering that poor tiny calf, the same one you posted on Alberta Outdoorsman will do.

I am betting you won't because you a cowardly and the slimiest of trolls, must SUCK to be you LOSER!

Post pictures like I did you scum-sucking freak.

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/19/24.

KB

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
The proper cartridge for elk hunting?

For several years a good friend, his two brothers, and two more of their buddies hunted elk on the brothers' parents' cattle ranch. Between the five of them, they usually killed a couple bulls during archery season first. Then they finished up during rifle season.

Each of the five carried a tang safety Ruger in 25-06. Over the course of five years they averaged better than 80% on filled tags.

There was great excitement among the group when the Barnes X became available. Until that time they had been using the Nosler solid base.

Me? My personal choice for killing of elk is the 7 STW with a 162 gr Hornady btsp at 3200 fps MV, from a nice heavy Ruger #1.

30 cal mags with heavy bullets is too hard on my rebuilt shoulder.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I wrote my response yesterday I forgot to mention that the longest shot I have taken on game, was a nice bull Moose which I called in. Killed him with a freehand shot @ 500 yards with my M1917. I could not get closer and that is the day I decided to buy a long-range rifle and scope. Picture of that moose below as well.

I don't believe you.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
M
M

I have taken 3 elk, only because I have done most of Elk Hunting with a Bow, which is way harder than hunting them with a rifle. On my bow hunts on thee occasions, if I had my rifle with me, I would have killed 6 by now. The truth is I hunt moose way more often than I hunt elk. Where I live your success rates on Moose are way higher, if you know what you are doing.

If I lived in let's say in Montana, Wyoming, or Colorado, I would have been focusing on Elk for sure.

So are you saying that a .270 is the preferred caliber for Elk Hunters?

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
So ya know...

GR

This guy is a bit of an idiot and not a good reference for anything.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
Q
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Q
Originally Posted by EddieSouthgate
So ya know...

GR

This guy is a bit of an idiot and not a good reference for anything.

He appears to be making a killing talking about guns and hunting. I find him thoroughly enjoyable to have on in the background while I do something a bit boring at work. But, I would love to hear what makes you think he is "a bit of an idiot."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q_Sertorius, I agree with you, he is very entertaining, I also enjoy watching his YouTube videos.

One thing about him, to me anyway, is that he is a highly experienced hunter, with a lot of great perspectives and helpful tips.

People, especially beginners can learn a lot from watching his shows.

Cheers ~

Last edited by KillerBee; 6 hours ago.

KB

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yeah the guy is kind of a "Literary Whore"

Meaning... he pushes certain cartridges and bullets to the top because of red box $$$$ and not the merits and performance of the cartridges and bullets themselves

Also, only a complete retard or a well paid one ... would actually recommend a 6.5 Creedmoor as a minimum cartridge for brown bear hunting

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,792
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.