Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by bwinters
The narrative on Rokslide indicates exactly what you say - the first scope failed, Maven discussed with members of RS, changes were made, scope #2 sent back for test, scope 2 passed.

But it's easier to come up with a conspiracy theory.

LOL.

No changes were made and members of Rokslide had no input into the internal design. That's not a "theory".

But I know Maven is selling a lot of the RS1.2s.

Maven sells quality optics and got trashed unfairly by Formy on the RS5 test. Ron Avery had the exact same scope and drop tested it and hunted with it before handing it to Formy.

Originally Posted by Ron Avery on Rokslide
The results are interesting and puzzling to me and the reason I wanted a standard test. I dropped this scope a bunch at 12" and saw no shift. I also shot a bull with this scope at 906 yards. The only difference is my total rifle set up is 8.5 pounds and I think Forms is around 12 pounds.

The 2.5-15x44 is a stock LOW design and a very nice one at that. A couple of companies use it. Maven and Tract come to mind. LOW puts different turrets on it depending on the customer and occasionally different lenses (typically in the eyepiece because different people want different things and there are a couple of different eyepiece versions), but on the inside they are pretty much the same. Again, that's a good thing since this is a very nicely worked out design.

I hope Maven moves a lot of them. It is a nice scope. I have more mileage with the Tract version and like it quite a lot.

ILya

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
The narrative on Rokslide indicates exactly what you say - the first scope failed, Maven discussed with members of RS, changes were made, scope #2 sent back for test, scope 2 passed.

LOL.

No changes were made and members of Rokslide had no input into the internal design. That's not a "theory".

Maven sells quality optics and got trashed unfairly by Formy on the RS5 test. Ron Avery had the exact same scope and drop tested it and hunted with it before handing it to Formy.

The results are interesting and puzzling to me and the reason I wanted a standard test. I dropped this scope a bunch at 12" and saw no shift. I also shot a bull with this scope at 906 yards. The only difference is my total rifle set up is 8.5 pounds and I think Forms is around 12 pounds.
So in one case, two different people “tested” the same scope in two different ways, and came to two different conclusions. Then in another case, one of those people tested two different scopes with the same test and got two different results. Ok, not odd. Different people, different scopes. Seems reasonable to me to experience different ending results. Where is the Conspiracy?

Just a second there!! You are throwing logic into the discussion - how rude.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Things can get really complicated for stupid people like Johnny drunk fùck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

LOL.

Originally Posted by koshkin
The 2.5-15x44 is a stock LOW design and a very nice one at that. A couple of companies use it. Maven and Tract come to mind. LOW puts different turrets on it depending on the customer and occasionally different lenses (typically in the eyepiece because different people want different things and there are a couple of different eyepiece versions), but on the inside they are pretty much the same. Again, that's a good thing since this is a very nicely worked out design.

I hope Maven moves a lot of them. It is a nice scope. I have more mileage with the Tract version and like it quite a lot.

ILya

Yeah.

It's an interesting case study in sales psychology. Some of the members of Rokslide needed to believe there was some magical change to the guts of the scope and those members heard what they wanted to hear.

Now Rokslide has ownership in the Maven RS1.2 and love the scope. I have not used the RS1.2 much but have used several RS1s and agree it's a nice scope. I am not a fan of FFP, unlike many, but LOW's quality and design is very solid and Maven offers a good value.

Jeff, whom you talked to about suppressors at SHOT, mounted the RS1.2 on his AR so I have not used that one much, yet.

Scopes are funny things because, for most, the inner workings are basically black magic.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don’t care for variables. I much prefer fixed power scopes. But I do have some variables and most are Full Field II’s due to positive test results made by MD.

I would never ever buy anything from the communists unless I didn’t know that’s where it was manufactured and I’m pretty careful.

Last edited by Bugger; 04/01/24.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M

LOL.

ILya

Do you happen to know why there is a large price difference between the tract and maven version?

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Sales psychology? Maybe you should work on that. It seems slapping the “proprietary” moniker on everything hasn’t worked to well… lol #snakeoilsalesman. Too bad that has failed for you every time… except for the current… yet? Their issue was clearly from not matching the thermal expansion of the scope to their bedding block! Lol. You’re an obnoxious D’bag, always have been.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Mik123

LOL.

ILya

Do you happen to know why there is a large price difference between the tract and maven version?

Not a clue. All companies make their business decisions in their own ways.

ILya

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got it. So apparently Ryan Avery is telling people BS when he says:

"We didn't participate in the design of the RS1.2. But after the RS.5 failed the drop test Maven asked a bunch of questions focused on the scope that passed. I email each company after form does the pass or fail. Maven and Zeiss are the only companies to call and ask me questions. Maven by far had had the most communications with me. They also asked what the perfect RS scope is and this is what I sent them:"

Specs then followed. One of the specs was pass the RS drop test. Apparently they succeeded. Seems like Maven completely ignored anything Avery had to say about the failure of the first scope. whistle

Having a conversation about the mechanics that failed, then doing whatever they/Maven did to the internal workings of the 1.2 doesn't seem like much of a stretch. I suppose in your understanding of design, the fact that slide rules, computers, and engineer speak may not have occurred is proof that RS/Avery had no input into the "internal design". Carry on.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're asking me, conspiracy may not have been correct word. Having read the RS posts on the Maven scopes, Avery stated he had conversations with Maven after the first scope failed. Apparently Maven was interested in form's findings and was picking Avery's brain on why it failed and also apparently sought his input on what could be better. Whether that involved engineering speak, I have no clue but am equally sure not all product testers have insight into the engineering mechanics of the items they test.

At first blush, it seemed that Burns was indicating form was inventing a story on failing the first scope because of his biases ("Formy got a burr under her saddle with Maven and lied on the review of the RS5."), then "miraculously" changed his mind on scope 2 (the 1.2 version) and nothing changed between versions except some conversation between form and Avery. As has been pointed out, somehow two different people can't come to different conclusions.

I have no dog in this fight, I don't own a Maven scope. I do get tired of blanket statements by Burns that come with zero foundation or evidence. He is basically calling form and Avery liars for: A. getting different results on a scope "test", B. having no input into Maven scopes beyond the first one that failed, despite the direct quote from Avery I posted earlier. I don't know if Maven made changes to the 1.2 or any other Maven scope based on RS/Avery input - but neither does Burns. I'm also not opining that they are liars and somehow a giant coverup is occurring because RS/Avery may or may not have a vested interested in Maven. I also find it ignorant to claim that all RS members are somehow like sheep and follow form/Avery advice without using their noggins. My take on that group of folks is very similar to here on the 'Fire - they can sift through the BS and use the data for what its worth when they make choices. I will say, I will look at the 1.2 based on form's drop tests and feedback from RS members on the scope, and folks I trust here on the 'Fire on said scope.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Formid knows how to test them. They are liked by many, for obvious reasons, and then other reasons not known by guys that don't use them. I've always said they are a "set and forget" scope, but with a really useful reticle (FFII with ballistic plex). I've used them since 1998, with no regrets. They are on most of my hunting rifles, as I made the decision a while ago, to get rid of everything that doesn't have a useful reticle for my hunting purposes. I sold Leupolds, Zeiss Conquests, Bausch and Lomb Elites, Bushnell Elites (3200 and 4200), Nikon Monarchs, and others that did not make the cut.

The Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex works very well, is reliable, and lightweight, with good enough glass for any kind of hunting situation. One thing I have noticed, is the newer ones have a slightly thicker reticle, and different coatings. I don't like the thicker reticle, and actually prefer the older American made FFII with ballistic plex, but YMMV... I personally would not buy a Chinese made Burris.
I may have to relook at them. If they have the same quality glass as conquest and you sold all your conquests, then they are worth looking at. Thanks. If I find an old one somewhere sure may give em a try.

The ones I had from the 80s glass sucked.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

LOL.

ILya

Koshkin, I wondered if they were the same scope basically, as I'd been looking at both. Please excuse the dumb question, but what do you think causes the 3+ ounce weight difference between the two? That's the difference in weight, at least according to published specs.

Bill

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I followed the link and the post starts out indicating the scope that was tested was made 20 years ago. Burris has not made any changes since then?

A big chunk of the personal back and forth that comes up in every Leupold thread has one side essentially saying that they used to be good but now they suck, and the other side searching up quotes from back then and saying "see you said they were good".

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by tx270

LOL.

ILya

Koshkin, I wondered if they were the same scope basically, as I'd been looking at both. Please excuse the dumb question, but what do you think causes the 3+ ounce weight difference between the two? That's the difference in weight, at least according to published specs.

Bill

I have not looked at that especially carefully, to be honest. Tract has their own turret design that is pretty beefy, so the bulk of the weight difference is likely coming from that.

ILya

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Stickfight
I followed the link and the post starts out indicating the scope that was tested was made 20 years ago. Burris has not made any changes since then?

A big chunk of the personal back and forth that comes up in every Leupold thread has one side essentially saying that they used to be good but now they suck, and the other side searching up quotes from back then and saying "see you said they were good".

Good question. I think MD, JB addressed this in an earlier post. In that post, he said that the only one he had issues with was an older FFII, which was American made. I can honestly say that I've had to send 2 American made FFII's back as well. However, the one that I've had the longest (since 1998), has worked like a champ. The last I counted, that scope has been on 11 different rifles. Why? Because it is one I trust. It's held up for a long time. Also, to be fair: One of the ones I had to send back was one that I bought off of ebay for $100.00. Burris sent it back fixed, and now it resides on a buddies 22-250, without any issues. I asked that they repair that scope, instead of sending me a Philippine Burris, if that tells you anything.

If you check ebay, you'll also notice the American made FFII's sell for more than the newer ones. To me, the older ones looked better, as the new ones have some different logos on the scope that I don't care for. For all intents and purposes, they are the same internally though. The same turrets, that you can turn by hand (because they are knurled), or use a coin in the slot.

Although, one thing I have noticed is the different lens coating they use. Does it draw in more light, or help with chromatic aberration or help the crosshairs from fading out in direct sunlight? I don't know. I haven't noticed much difference between the 2 (American vs. Philippine) iterations, except maybe the crosshair thickness. To my eye, it looks like the newer Philippine FFII has a thicker crosshair. Even a buddy of mine commented on that, and I had to agree with him.

All in all, they are great scopes that I have put a lot of trust into. Formid's test only confirms what I've seen over the last 26 years. First using them on my 300wm, and then every other cartridge you can imagine, which would include 22LR-375 H&H.

Here's my newest rifle:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Doing a little testing with a brand new FFII, right out of the box. Even though it is not a general practice here, to use a centerfire scope on a rimfire, this one works well enough, and keeps the weight down on this 5.5 pound rifle.

The proof is generally on the target:

That one is no different than the others I have. Seems to be working as it should..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

LOL.

ILya
How good at holding zero is that Tract? What kind of zero retention testing have you done with it? Or the Maven?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What’s the problem using a scope generally meant for center fire on a rim fire?

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by SDHNTR

LOL.

ILya
How good at holding zero is that Tract? What kind of zero retention testing have you done with it? Or the Maven?

I have a 1" tube 3X15X50 Track Toric mounted on my 35 Whelen that rides in my truck 24/7for the last 3 1/2 years and the zero has not shifted. The adjustments are extremely accurate and glass quality is excellent

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I had two of them, one illuminated and one non illuminated. No zero retention issues with either through a couple of hunting seasons. One was on a muzzleloader. Another was on the Fix in 8.6BLK. lots of sitting with both. Lots of driving off-road. Lots of hiking uphill, etc. Usual hunting stuff.

If you are wondering whether I did anything as silly as intentionally throwing the rifle around all over the place, I did not. No need to re-hash what I think about that practice.

ILya

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Stickfight

Good question. I think MD, JB addressed this in an earlier post. In that post, he said that the only one he had issues with was an older FFII, which was American made. I can honestly say that I've had to send 2 American made FFII's back as well. However, the one that I've had the longest (since 1998), has worked like a champ. The last I counted, that scope has been on 11 different rifles. Why? Because it is one I trust. It's held up for a long time. Also, to be fair: One of the ones I had to send back was one that I bought off of ebay for $100.00. Burris sent it back fixed, and now it resides on a buddies 22-250, without any issues. I asked that they repair that scope, instead of sending me a Philippine Burris, if that tells you anything.

If you check ebay, you'll also notice the American made FFII's sell for more than the newer ones. To me, the older ones looked better, as the new ones have some different logos on the scope that I don't care for. For all intents and purposes, they are the same internally though. The same turrets, that you can turn by hand (because they are knurled), or use a coin in the slot.

Although, one thing I have noticed is the different lens coating they use. Does it draw in more light, or help with chromatic aberration or help the crosshairs from fading out in direct sunlight? I don't know. I haven't noticed much difference between the 2 (American vs. Philippine) iterations, except maybe the crosshair thickness. To my eye, it looks like the newer Philippine FFII has a thicker crosshair. Even a buddy of mine commented on that, and I had to agree with him.

All in all, they are great scopes that I have put a lot of trust into. Formid's test only confirms what I've seen over the last 26 years. First using them on my 300wm, and then every other cartridge you can imagine, which would include 22LR-375 H&H.

Here's my newest rifle:
Doing a little testing with a brand new FFII, right out of the box. Even though it is not a general practice here, to use a centerfire scope on a rimfire, this one works well enough, and keeps the weight down on this 5.5 pound rifle.

The proof is generally on the target:

That one is no different than the others I have. Seems to be working as it should..

You should have stayed into Highpwoer rifle. You could have been the champion shooting groups like that one!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 19 invisible), 1,420 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,665
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.