Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by RickinTN
Cortizone/steroids in a 7 day run or injection work wonders. Don’t hesitate to see an orthopedic doctor and pronto. You will be glad you did.
Good luck!
Rick

There are plenty of good orthopedic doctors out there, but I want a neurosurgeon when looking at my back. Think Winchester vs. Mossberg - one's worth more than the other for a reason.

G
G
I've been down with sciatica several times. In my case it was caused by too much sitting on my ass in the office, on airplanes, or in cars. And not enough walking around and getting some exercise. What it boiled down to was that the muscles in my lower back became weak and delicate and the least little effort would cause the nerve coming out of my spine to get mashed or otherwise injured. And it took a long time to get over it. Pills and doctors were no help. Getting off my ass and onto my feet is what fixed it.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get a Teeter or similar quality inversion table

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have an inversion table. It works, but you have to be careful. Don't just go upside down real fast. Take it easy going past horizontal SLOWLY.

I have a herniated disc at L4/L5. I have had the injections 4 times over the years. Some gave relief more than others. STRETCHING your hamstrings and core strength have really helped me lately. Next step for me would be a nerve block. I usually got the steroid injections. Last one was in November. I find if I keep up my stretching and work on my core, my back doesn't ache near as much. Most of the time, I'm relatively pain free. Unfortunately, it flares up with little to no warning. Bend the wrong way, and it gets bad.

Another poster said to get rid of the memory foam mattress if you have one. I didn't realize how much it was affecting me until I got rid of the damn thing.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Sitting on your wallet doesn't help either. Mine was stuffed with everything except money and condoms. Cleaned out old cards and receipts. Moved wallet to front pocket and it helped.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Over 35 years ago I ruptured L5-S1

20 years ago I ruptured L3-L4

Discectomy in 2005 helped immensely but never 100%

Ruptured another in 2019 and had unbelievable sciatica

Surgeon advised against surgery as the outcome was a toss up between better, the same, or worse

Took a different approach at that point after noticing that all the PT was related to strengthening the posterior chain. Started doing deadlifts along with other posterior chain strengthening exercises added to my routine

It cured me. Absolutely the best my back has been for 37 years.

Getting stronger is never the wrong answer

https://www.t-nation.com/training/bulletproof-your-lower-back/

Spot on.
Had back surgery on the low back in 1987, no pt in them days, at least not around here. Suffered on / off for twenty years.

Finally found the exercise that resolved the recurring issues.

MRI can provide information, surgery is the last resort IMO.

Find the exercise that works for you, it can take time.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote] huge issue is that the term Sciatica is often used as a general term to describe lower back pain./quote]

Mine started as pain in my hip, mostly at night. I thought I needed a Hip replacement, as I had already had the knee replaced on that side. I still suspect the epidural used in the knee replacement as the culprit. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Should have mentioned, I bought an inversion table several years ago, and after a few months, I quit using it. It was a lot of work, with no gain. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I lay on the floor and pull both knees up to my chest and rock as far up as I can. Then keep one leg straight and bring the other up to your chest and rock. Then do the other leg. When my back gets really bad they put me on prednisone and it usually straightens me out. All my issues are muscle pulls and not spine or disc.

living the good life every day
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
You have to do some type of stretching/ yoga at least 20 minutes a day plus core, glute, lower back strengthening exercises

Cut our carbs. Processed foods and get in at least 2 miles walking or 10 miles biking a day or swim laps. Get a pull up bar and hang from it every day tai chi is great too and sport massages and accupuncture

Avoid getting cut and endlessly taking narcotics

The biggest problem is lack of movement and too much sitting

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The sciatic nerve exits the spine and runs down into the lower leg, often pinched where it leaves the spine, particularly if discs are compromised and space between the vertebrae is diminished.
It can hurt anywhere from the low back to the lower leg.

At least thats been my experience, low back pain, lower leg pain, knee pain.

I quit jumping off of truck tailgates 10 years ago

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
This routine works great. Most are too lazy to proactive in their own health and diet

Last edited by ribka; 04/02/24.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Lot’ of great advice for sure. After reading some of this I’m damn lucky. I few floor exercises and stretches and I am feeling better. I am lucky enough to not be terribly over weight, on 15 pounds at the most. But I do do sit most all day, so I will managing by walking around a lot more.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,631 guests, and 1,386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,213
Posts18,485,446
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.