Hop To
Page 6 of 20 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 19 20
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by mirage243
Originally Posted by WhiteTail48
Not even the discovery of Noah’s ark would cause some people to turn to God in faith.

Skeptics, close-minded critics, and atheists abound, as in the days of Noah.
I don't know that it's so much that people are atheist or don't believe in God, it's just that there are a lot of tales, stories, whatever you wanna call them in the Bible that contradict themselves, don't make sense, or are just outright unbelievable.
Or are not meant to be taken as literal history or science.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
One does well to remember who actually put pen to paper, and when, and who their intended audience was.

The authors worked inside the knowledge base available to them at the time.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Science always has the answers. Science always believe their answer explains everything. Science says everyone must believe what they say is true.

No it doesn't. It says "here's what we believe today and if you have a better theory let's hear it."

Is that what school books say when they present science to students? Is that what they say about evolution?

You're being disingenuous. And no I'm not the least bit interested in arguing today.

Good thing you're not interested, I'm not either.

And good to know you equate "school books" with science. That clarifies your level of understanding.

"School books" say what the local board wants them to say.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Alan_C Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Don't know about the ark story but Alan C is it true that you and Wabi the Inane are directly related? Mb
I do not know if I’m related to Wabi. If you ever do the ancestry thing, it will shock you . I might even be related to you Bob, though I might not claim it! On my dads side, the name came from England and my ancestor H. Cranfill and his two brothers came to Carolina around 1750. Have a great day Bob and keep your powder dry!

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
One does well to remember who actually put pen to paper, and when, and who their intended audience was.

The authors worked inside the knowledge base available to them at the time.

They could have been written for entertainment, like for modern stories about Pal Bunion, Superman, The Lord of the Rings. The people that wrote them might have thought quite amusing that people in the 21st century would take them as fact.

Last edited by RHOD; 04/03/24.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe the story of the Ark, but, like many biblical tales I don't always take them absolutely literally due to the many discrepancies in how the world was perceived in those times relative to how our knowledge has changed our perceptions now.

Geologists have proven to my satisfaction that at some point the Sahara and much of the middle east were large oceans. Geological changes caused these areas to lose their moisture by upheaval of tectonic plates, isolation of the oceans, lack of rain due to weather changes (one of many global warming cycles?), and other factors we can't know. If one of these flood periods described in posts above happened, it would have covered what was the "known world" at that point in time and would fit their definition of the biblical flood. This would have limited the numbers of animals to be considered for saving in their "world" and made the assumption of two of every animal to be an attainable goal. IMO, this is much closer to the reality of Noah's accomplishment than the often believed story that the entire earth was covered in a flood.

I believe in the bible, but I'm not one who takes it literally, but more figuratively or as parables meant to teach lessons while describing the lessons in way of text of real persons' lives and the cultural mores of the time- good and bad. Just like some people believe the world is only 6000 years old due to their interpretation of the biblical stories I don't believe in this literal interpretation of the bible.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JefeMojado
In just birdlife alone, thats 216,120 birds to capture. Did that small family run around the globe with butterfly nets and capture them? That feat alone, much less capturing 4,552 rodents and unknown thousands of other mamals would take a lifetime.
Believer or not, take a rational look at the logistics of just building a boat the size of an aircraft carrier, the traveling and capturing that amount of wildlife.....simply impossible.

As you already deny the existence of God, why press it any further. Recognizing God for who He is, needs no scientific evidence to justify His existence…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
100% fairy tale. If God is as powerful as some of you claim he didn't need to tell Noah to do anything. God could of just struck dead the people he wanted to. End of story

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JefeMojado
In just birdlife alone, thats 216,120 birds to capture. Did that small family run around the globe with butterfly nets and capture them? That feat alone, much less capturing 4,552 rodents and unknown thousands of other mamals would take a lifetime.
Believer or not, take a rational look at the logistics of just building a boat the size of an aircraft carrier, the traveling and capturing that amount of wildlife.....simply impossible.
Read the Bible. Noah didn't capture anything. God brought them. They came. They found their way there from all over.

The 'boat' wasn't a boat. It was a big container that only needed to float. It didn't need to be propelled or steered, just float. Nobody knows what it looked like but most likely it didn't have a bow or stern like that 'replica' in KY. It was more likely just an enormous box.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good post. I’m inclined to agree with you as to the Earth's true age. For an eternal being such as God, I think it’s a little foolish to assume that His day is measured in 24 hours such as ours.
With that said, I’ll caution folks not to let the word “literally” blind you to faith. The whole idea of Gods salvation is based on faith in things unseen.
It’s a tall order for someone to believe that Noah could hand building a boat big enough, let alone fill it with the thousands of critters of Gods Creation, from 7 different continents!
But God specializes in doing the impossible. This is the One who created light out of darkness by speaking it into existence!
I count myself as reasonably intelligent, and fairly well read on some subjects. But the biggest part of knowledge for anyone is realizing that there’s millions of things beyond my comprehension that are true, just because God wills it to be so. I live in a 3 dimensional world. That is all that is real to my senses. But, I can understand there are other dimensions beyond my comprehension.
In order to accept the salvation He offers, all that is required of one is faith. If there were actual physical proof of Christ existence, death and resurrection, it wouldn’t require much faith, now would it?😀
Don’t let your sense of something literally being impossible sentence you to a very real and literal hell. Remember, it is by faith alone that we are saved!

Last edited by 7mmbuster; 04/03/24.

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
There is nothing arbitrary about the length of a "day". The length of a "day" is not subjective.

It is well defined, even in Genesis as
The Hebrew word for night with the word yôm is used 52 times outside of Genesis 1 and always means a literal twenty-four-hour day. Each time yôm is used in Genesis 1 the pattern follows; evening, morning, number, day. So, we can confidently conclude yôm in Genesis 1 means a literal twenty-four-hour day.

A day is sunset to sunset. To say otherwise is revisionist. It is trying to alter traditional beliefs to fit present knowledge.

Sometimes we need to accept the fact that some traditional beliefs are simply wrong.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A few years ago, I was as usual curled up on the end of the couch reading history, while Wifey was watching something on the tube. The show she was watching was about Noah’s Ark, and the physical laws of physics making it impossible for one to build a boat, let alone having it actually float for the length of time required in a storm tossed sea of water.
It caught my attention long enough to see what they were talking about, and I said to Penny
“They’re sure as heck missing the obvious here!” She (a fellow believer) looked up and said “what do you mean”? I said “it doesn’t matter how unseaworthy a craft might be. If God wills it to float, what would you expect it to do?”😳
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by antlers
I think it’s possible that it’s allegory and metaphor. As I think it’s possible that Jonah and the Great Fish, and the literal 6 day Creation account in Genesis (for examples) are allegory and metaphor.

Much of the OT makes good sense as allegory and metaphor, but not so much when taken as literal history.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With GOD all things are possible

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 16penny
With GOD all things are possible

First, he'd have to exist.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Absolutely believe it. As I read most arguments against it here, it’s apparent most don’t know what they don’t know and argue from their or just common presumptions.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Got it straight from the Unicorn- it's true. Bigfoot confirmed it.

I suspect (if people were around when it happened- or intuited it later) that perhaps when the natural dam at Gibralter was breached and the Mediteranean basin filled, that is the basis for the Flood.

Last edited by las; 04/03/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We are stardust.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A worldwide inundation of all the land and continents....with a boat built to save all the land species? Impossible. A fantasy morality tale told by priests to impress their flock. Oohh, aah, in the days of Noah....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Absolutely believe it. As I read most arguments against it here, it’s apparent most don’t know what they don’t know and argue from their or just common presumptions.

Their knowledge of and devotion to their religion - science.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 6 of 20 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 673, 16 invisible), 1,631 guests, and 995 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,484
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.