Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 20 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 19 20
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Alan_C
Question. If all the humans were wiped out in the flood, leaving Noah and his family as only survivors, how did we end up with all the different races ?

People quoting scriptures from a book will ignore any question where they can't find a verse to make a point. I still don't understand why god had to get Noah involved. If god was so powerful he could of killed all the people he wanted to and saved the animals. Why did he need a boat?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by Hastings
OK then, were Jesus' original apostles that he publicly chose wrong? Were all the churches in Asia Minor wrong?
Again, the only Christians who turned on Apostle Paul were the Judaizers, who then stirred up other Jews who insisted that the Law of Moses was binding on Christians.
It's an issue hard to get around.
Only for you. That oughta tell ya’ somethin’.
All in Jerusalem and Asia turned against Paul. The record is clear. If he wrote that letter to Timothy, Paul himself said it.

There are sites dedicated to Paul being a false apostle. I notice there are only a few of you here that hotly defend Paul who claims to have been recruited in secret. He also had visions, traveled to heaven, and heard voices.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are sites dedicated to Paul being a false apostle.
Modern-day Judaizer and wacko Hebrew Roots Movement sites.
I notice there are only a few of you here that hotly defend Paul…
Not a single person here who professes to be a Christian…over all of these years that you’ve been spouting your Hebrew Roots Movement and modern-day Judaism psychobabble…has voiced agreement with you on these matters. Not a single one. Out of the thousands and thousands of views that these threads get, not a single person who professes to be a Christian has voiced agreement with you on these matters. Not a single one.

You notice what you want to notice, and you choose to not notice what you don’t want to notice. Just like you only choose to believe the words of Jesus when they jive with your already established beliefs and agenda, and you choose to disbelieve or discredit or dismiss the words of Jesus when they don’t jive with your already established beliefs and agenda.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
"The Jefferson, "bible'?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
OK then, were Jesus' original apostles that he publicly chose wrong? Were all the churches in Asia Minor wrong?
Again, the only Christians who turned on Apostle Paul were the Judaizers, who then stirred up other Jews who insisted that the Law of Moses was binding on Christians.
It's an issue hard to get around.
Only for you. That oughta tell ya’ somethin’.
All in Jerusalem and Asia turned against Paul. The record is clear. If he wrote that letter to Timothy, Paul himself said it.

There are sites dedicated to Paul being a false apostle. I notice there are only a few of you here that hotly defend Paul who claims to have been recruited in secret. He also had visions, traveled to heaven, and heard voices.

Early Christianity was more complex than either of you imagine. Hasting is closer to the truth, but he still under estimates it by at least an order of magnitude.

Bart gives a nice outline in "Lost Christianities: The Battles for Scripture and the Faiths We Never Knew."

The early Christian Church was a chaos of contending beliefs. Some groups of Christians claimed that there was not one God but two or twelve or thirty. Some believed that the world had not been created by God but by a lesser, ignorant deity. Certain sects maintained that Jesus was human but not divine, while others said he was divine but not human.

In Lost Christianities, Bart D. Ehrman offers a fascinating look at these early forms of Christianity and shows how they came to be suppressed, reformed, or forgotten. All of these groups insisted that they upheld the teachings of Jesus and his apostles, and they all possessed writings that bore out their claims, books reputedly produced by Jesus's own followers. Modern archaeological work has recovered a number of key texts, and as Ehrman shows, these spectacular discoveries reveal religious diversity that says much about the ways in which history gets written by the winners. Ehrman's discussion ranges from considerations of various "lost scriptures" including forged gospels supposedly written by Simon Peter, Jesus's closest disciple, and Judas Thomas, Jesus's alleged twin brother to the disparate beliefs of such groups as the Jewish Christian Ebionites, the anti Jewish Marcionites, and various "Gnostic" sects. Ehrman examines in depth the battles that raged between "proto orthodox Christians" those who eventually compiled the canonical books of the New Testament and standardized Christian belief and the groups they denounced as heretics and ultimately overcame.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by wabigoon
"The Jefferson, "bible'?

Yes, it was pretty thin.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You notice what you want to notice, and you choose to not notice what you don’t want to notice. Just like you only choose to believe the words of Jesus when they jive with your already established beliefs and agenda, and you choose to disbelieve or discredit or dismiss the words of Jesus when they don’t jive with your already established beliefs and agenda.

That's what all them hypocrite "christians" do, why you mad at Hastings about it?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are sites dedicated to Paul being a false apostle.
Modern-day Judaizer and wacko Hebrew Roots Movement sites.
I notice there are only a few of you here that hotly defend Paul…
Not a single person here who professes to be a Christian…over all of these years that you’ve been spouting your Hebrew Roots Movement and modern-day Judaism psychobabble…has voiced agreement with you on these matters. Not a single one. Out of the thousands and thousands of views that these threads get, not a single person who professes to be a Christian has voiced agreement with you on these matters. Not a single one.

Well good, we are getting ''thousands and thousands of views''. Might have some folks checking out their beliefs. But there are only a few of you Paulinians weighing in.

You don't think Paul comes across as a bit strange and possibly asexual or deviant?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You don't think Paul comes across as a bit strange and possibly asexual or deviant?

Lot of pope's and priest got Paul in their name 🤣🤣

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mirage243

Lot of pope's and priest got Paul in their name 🤣🤣
True, I had a great uncle named Paul, one of my good friends is named Paul. There are probably several hundred thousand Pauls in the country.

Not sure why the one in question changed his name. It was Saul.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You’re upset. Clearly. Now you’ve deduced that Paul is not only “a bit strange” but he’s now also possibly “asexual or deviant”…?

You gettin’ hot and bothered about the truth doesn’t change the truth. I didn’t make it the truth. It just is. It’d still be the truth if I’d never even mentioned it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You’re upset. Clearly. Now you’ve deduced that Paul is not only “a bit strange” but he’s now also possibly “asexual or deviant”…?

You gettin’ hot and bothered about the truth doesn’t change the truth. I didn’t make it the truth. It just is. It’d still be the truth if I’d never even mentioned it.
No, I'm not upset, I'm suspicious. And you are not a mind reader.

Who here is getting upset if you judge by their posting.

I just post my suspicions which could be wrong, but I think the "Christian" church of Rome swept a lot under the rug and then proceeded to terrorize any that brought up questions.

Antelope Sniper even though he is atheist or agnostic has presented just a small sample of early Christianity the history of which was banished but which somehow survived. I find the Ebionite "heresy" particularly interesting as it was thought imperative to rid the world of their theology which was based on Matthew's gospel minus the first 2 chapters. About the only history we have of the Ebionites was written by their enemies. Just because Roman Christianity ruled something heresy doesn't necessarily mean it was heretic.

Antelope Sniper alluded to Thomas being Jesus twin.If that were true the Roman Church would have had a huge interest in suppressing that although there are Syrian scriptures that say that Mary birthed twins when Jesus was born.

If you notice the genealogy of Jesus while differing somewhat both list Joseph as his father and many early Christians including the Ebionites did not subscribe to the virgin birth story.

There is a lot of vested interest in the various Jesus stories so I try to weed out obvious contradictions and additions when they are obvious but that in no way detracts from the teachings, ministry, and prophecy, of Jesus.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well good, we are getting ''thousands and thousands of views''. Might have some folks checking out their beliefs.
Hope so. Re-examining our beliefs and why we have them is a good thing. You might consider it yourself. But not a single one of those “thousands and thousands of views” who profess to be Christians who are hopefully checking out their beliefs…over all of these years…has weighed in with an agreement with you on these matters. Not a single one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Alan_C
Reon, I can see you teaching the Bible to young troubled teens who are lacking guidance. I think you would get a lot of satisfaction in this. I have a distant friend that teaches the Bible at a county jail to inmates. He likes it!
Thanks. I hadn’t ever given it much thought, but I have been praying that I would find a way yo break open the discussion with loved ones. Something I’ll pray about though.

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not sure why the one in question changed his name. It was Saul.
Saul’s name was also Paul. The custom of dual names was not uncommon in those days. Jude was also called Thaddaeus. Matthew was also called Levi. Peter was also called Simon, Cephas, and Bar-jona (Son of Jonah). And Nathanael was also called Bartholomew.

This is common knowledge. And a student of the Bible would know this. You’d think that one who was so interested in ‘knowing’ the truth…as you ‘claim’ to be…would have sought that easily obtainable information out. Especially since you’re unsure about it, as you’ve said above. Could it be that you simply used it as another opportunity to cast doubt on Paul’s character by insinuating that there was more to it than there actually was…?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
For all of you naysayers:

Why do you think rainbows appear in the sky?

Why do you think God flooded the Earth?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This discussion reminds me that God gave us choice in all things- He won't force us to believe in Him, or any one thing or act He laid out in the Ten Commandments, but he has laid out what it will take to reach His kingdom very clearly.

Due to the available choice He has bestowed us with I would think it would be natural to have doubts, to disagree and/or argue about the relative values of his teachings through the apostles, and for the faithful to come through those discussions as His people? It is clearly defined that only the faithful will enter into His kingdom, though I don't for a minute believe some of the ridiculous claims of a small number of people will be chosen- and I don't remember the number I keep hearing quoted due to not taking it seriously. There is no doubt we will all live our lives, make decisions every day which will affect us and others around us, and face death at some undetermined (by us) time. What we will face then is unknown to most of the living but there seems to be enough proof of what to expect from those who have died and been brought back to make assumptions inevitable. Is it enough for you or I to change how we live our lives? The choice is up to you..

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jesus’ own brother, James (the leader of the early church in Jerusalem) and the apostle Peter clearly separated Christianity from the worldview and value system and regulations of the old covenant (the Law of Moses). This was done by Jewish leaders of the early church at the First Jerusalem Council to settle the matter once and for all. And it was done in 48 to 50 AD, well before the Roman Catholic church and the Roman government’s controlling involvement with Christianity even began. It’s well documented in the 15th chapter of Acts of the Apostles.

The apostle Paul simply affirmed the above decision. He, as did James and Peter, eventually let go of God’s temporary and conditional covenant that He made with only the ancient Israelites (the Law of Moses) to embrace God’s permanent and unconditional covenant that He made with the entire human race (Jesus’ New Covenant).

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I worked for a company that produced them. Odds are not in your favor. At the time, Iowa Lottery had about a 62% pay out.
Sure, you can get lucky now and then. I could never play them being associated with my company. That was a no-no.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Cecil56
I worked for a company that produced them. Odds are not in your favor. At the time, Iowa Lottery had about a 62% pay out.
Sure, you can get lucky now and then. I could never play them being associated with my company. That was a no-no.

Any relation to a Richard from up thataway?

J/K

FJB & FJT
Page 10 of 20 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 7 invisible), 1,416 guests, and 816 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,509
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.